2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone? Because that's tomorrow...so...yeah

I am sorry but no one on here seems to know. Your best bet would be to call the admissions office and directly inquire about it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

The last couple of groups of interviews have said that they were told that the last interview date is 3/6 so I dont see any reason to doubt that. Sorry.

The last couple of groups of interviews have said that they were told that the last interview date is 3/6 so I dont see any reason to doubt that. Sorry.
Well...today's the day! I guess unless those who went to interview today find out that another interview date has been added, all us folks without the IIs can say goodbye to SUNY Upstate! Oh well...

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who interviewed on Feb. 13th, didn't they say we'd hear back by March 6th?

Hey everyone,

I hope your application processes are going well. I was just accepted into Upstate's DPT program and have rented a house within about a 15 minute walk to campus in the Westcott neighborhood. There are 3 bedrooms in the house, and it has hardwood floors, off street parking, washer and dryer in the basement, high ceilings, and big bedrooms. Currently it's an ESF grad student and myself on the lease, so we are looking for one more roommate.

Here's a video tour of the house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtZVoB3Woi4

The lease starts in June and is 325/person/month + utilities. It is, by far, the best place we've found for the money. If any of you are interested, feel free to PM me.

Hey everyone,

I hope your application processes are going well. I was just accepted into Upstate's DPT program and have rented a house within about a 15 minute walk to campus in the Westcott neighborhood. There are 3 bedrooms in the house, and it has hardwood floors, off street parking, washer and dryer in the basement, high ceilings, and big bedrooms. Currently it's an ESF grad student and myself on the lease, so we are looking for one more roommate.

The lease starts in June and is 325/person/month + utilities. It is, by far, the best place we've found for the money. If any of you are interested, feel free to PM me.

Hey everyone,

Looks like a great place for the price but its a little far from campus for me, especially during the winter. I'm sure you will find someone though!!

Haha sorry...just confused. I just sent Jennifer Welch an email.

Haha I didn't mean to be a jerk, it's just over the passed week you have posted a lot of good questions that no one on here seems to know. The admissions office can help you out a lot better than we can. Best of luck to you though!

Haha I didn't mean to be a jerk, it's just over the passed week you have posted a lot of good questions that no one on here seems to know. The admissions office can help you out a lot better than we can. Best of luck to you though!
Thank you, and no problem! Hopefully they'll shed some light on the situation for me. Best :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a great place for the price but its a little far from campus for me, especially during the winter. I'm sure you will find someone though!!

It's indeed a little too far...

So...I heard back from Jennifer today:

"Your application will be reviewed by next week.

Thank you!"

WHAT? Does this mean they're still offering interviews, or just that they're going to confirm my rejection...haha??? So mind boggled right now. I wish I had gotten more info than that.

So...I heard back from Jennifer today:

"Your application will be reviewed by next week.

Thank you!"

WHAT? Does this mean they're still offering interviews, or just that they're going to confirm my rejection...haha??? So mind boggled right now. I wish I had gotten more info than that.

Hmmm idk. You could give the admissions office a call and inquire about it. Other than that the only thing you can really do it sit tight and wait for next week.

Hmmm idk. You could give the admissions office a call and inquire about it. Other than that the only thing you can really do it sit tight and wait for next week.
I don't want to push it too much...especially when I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. I can wait one more week for that rejection I guess...lol

It's indeed a little too far...

Hey are you going to be living at home since I know you live in Syracuse or are you going to find a place close to campus? I am thinking about the apartment complex that is attached to school

Hey are you going to be living at home since I know you live in Syracuse or are you going to find a place close to campus? I am thinking about the apartment complex that is attached to school

Are you referring to Geneva Tower and Clark Tower?

Are you referring to Geneva Tower and Clark Tower?
I'm going to be doing the on-campus housing but Clark tower is going to be phased out for medical students, so only Geneva tower will be available (according to the housing director).

I'm going to be doing the on-campus housing but Clark tower is going to be phased out for medical students, so only Geneva tower will be available (according to the housing director).

Well then, I will be living in Geneva tower. This has rooms for one as well as two people, correct?

Well then, I will be living in Geneva tower. This has rooms for one as well as two people, correct?
Yes, they have one and two bedroom apartments, as well as four bedroom suites. Has anyone heard if there is a deadline for applying for on-campus housing/is it just first come first serve when determining room placement?

Yes, they have one and two bedroom apartments, as well as four bedroom suites. Has anyone heard if there is a deadline for applying for on-campus housing/is it just first come first serve when determining room placement?

I'd like to know this too, I'd imagine there will be much more info on this at second look day, next week. I'd like to be able to choose my roommate(s) rather than have them be randomly assigned.

Yeah I am looking at Geneva tower too, I figure it would be nice to be closer to school since I do not know how housing works in that area and if other apartments are close by. I do not want to be doing a lot of walking to campus :)

There are definitely plenty of housing options in the area but I think it'd be nice to live amongst my classmates for at least the first year.

There are definitely plenty of housing options in the area but I think it'd be nice to live amongst my classmates for at least the first year.

Yeah I definitely agree, its like dorms without the dorms

Just got the second look day confirmation email, can't wait until next week!

What is everyone else wearing to 2nd Visit? I was thinking business casual

What is everyone else wearing to 2nd Visit? I was thinking business casual

The confirmation e-mail says, "Please note that attire for the day is casual." I feel zero need to look like anything other than one of their students at this point, so I'll probably wear jeans and sneakers.

For anyone who interviewed on Feb. 13th, didn't they say we'd hear back by March 6th?

They stated at our interview on January 30th that we would hear back in 3-4 weeks. It has been over 6 weeks, so I'm definitely getting worried. For you folks that have received a post-interview decision (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection), can you give us an idea of the timeframe? I certainly don't want to call the admissions office because they must be very busy, but just getting nervous. If other people who interviewed on Jan 30th or earlier would chime in and let us know if they've heard yet, I'd certainly feel better. I looked back in the thread and couldn't find much of anything in the past couple of weeks. Thanks much.

Last edited:
They stated at our interview on January 30th that we would hear back in 3-4 weeks. It has been over 6 weeks, so I'm definitely getting worried. For you folks that have received a post-interview decision (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection), can you give us an idea of the timeframe? I certainly don't want to call the admissions office because they must be very busy, but just getting nervous. If other people who interviewed on Jan 30th or earlier would chime in and let us know if they've heard yet, I'd certainly feel better. I looked back in the thread and couldn't find much of anything. Thanks much.

Don't worry too much. I interviewed in mid-November and we were told 3-4 weeks also, but I didn't get accepted until the second week of January. They've been consistently behind schedule all cycle, it seems

Thanks for the info, folks. Glad to hear that others were/are in the same boat. Waiting is the worst part. Got rejected yesterday post-interview at another school, and it stings, but part of me is just glad that the wait for that school is over. Weird, I know. =P The finality is oddly comforting.

A few things:

- Committee meeting was yesterday and a good chunk of applications were reviewed. Only 5 more applications are left to be reviewed (hopefully sometimes next week) and I think that's it. Upstate has extended offers to 300+ applicants and they all confirmed. However, no worries, since not every confirmed applicant will actually go to Upstate. We just have to wait a while for accepted applicants to decide which school they'll actually go to, then applicants from high priority list will be pulled for review.

- We were just visited by LCME team a couple of days ago (an early visit) to evaluate our progress (explains why it took longer to review applications). We did our best to prepare for it, and it looks optimistic. We will hear a decision from LCME in June. Hope that our probation will be lifted early!

- For 2nd visit, dress casual (no shorts please). It's not an interview. During your interview, the school gets to know you and you try to impress us. During 2nd visit, you get to know the school -> it's our turn to try to impress you!

Good luck with everything!!!!

A few things:

- Committee meeting was yesterday and a good chunk of applications were reviewed. Only 5 more applications are left to be reviewed (hopefully sometimes next week) and I think that's it. Upstate has extended offers to 300+ applicants and they all confirmed. However, no worries, since not every confirmed applicant will actually go to Upstate. We just have to wait a while for accepted applicants to decide which school they'll actually go to, then applicants from high priority list will be pulled for review.

- We were just visited by LCME team a couple of days ago (an early visit) to evaluate our progress (explains why it took longer to review applications). We did our best to prepare for it, and it looks optimistic. We will hear a decision from LCME in June. Hope that our probation will be lifted early!

- For 2nd visit, dress casual (no shorts please). It's not an interview. During your interview, the school gets to know you and you try to impress us. During 2nd visit, you get to know the school -> it's our turn to try to impress you!

Good luck with everything!!!!

Thanks for the info! So if the committee meeting was yesterday and our file was reviewed, will we hear our decision within the next few days?

Thanks for the info! So if the committee meeting was yesterday and our file was reviewed, will we hear our decision within the next few days?

I hope so. Usually decision is sent out on Mondays. However i'm not the person sending them so i can't guarantee anything. :luck:

Good question, coolcat. Thanks much for the response, inphan. I am also curious if the fact that 300+ admission offers have been extended means that pending decisions will be waitlists or rejections, or are some people from the last batch still being accepted outright? Thanks again.

Good question, coolcat. Thanks much for the response, inphan. I am also curious if the fact that 300+ admission offers have been extended means that pending decisions will be waitlists or rejections, or are some people from the last batch still being accepted outright? Thanks again.

To be honest, you'll have to be extra exceptional to be accepted outright. Most will go on HPA, some rejected. The HPA list has its own ranking as well so the higher you're on that list, more chance you'll get pulled from it. The ranking on HPA list is based on your total application (score, grades, interview, EC's...).

To be honest, you'll have to be extra exceptional to be accepted outright. Most will go on HPA, some rejected. The HPA list has its own ranking as well so the higher you're on that list, more chance you'll get pulled from it. The ranking on HPA list is based on your total application (score, grades, interview, EC's...).

Gotcha. Figured as much, it being so late in the cycle. Thanks much for the insight. There's another waitlist as well, right? Besides HPA? A lower one.

They stated at our interview on January 30th that we would hear back in 3-4 weeks. It has been over 6 weeks, so I'm definitely getting worried. For you folks that have received a post-interview decision (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection), can you give us an idea of the timeframe? I certainly don't want to call the admissions office because they must be very busy, but just getting nervous. If other people who interviewed on Jan 30th or earlier would chime in and let us know if they've heard yet, I'd certainly feel better. I looked back in the thread and couldn't find much of anything in the past couple of weeks. Thanks much.

Dont worry this is standard, I waited about 7 weeks to hear back, I am sure you will hear back soon

A few things:

300 offers for 160 spots?? Is that correct? I am now worried about the prospect of waitlist movement this year.

300 offers for 160 spots?? Is that correct? I am now worried about the prospect of waitlist movement this year.

It's not very useful without having access to their historical yield data though. If the historical yield from offers is 50% then it is bad news, but if it is 33%, then it's not bad at all. Jmho.

We were told at the interview that they are still actively accepting. Obviously, we don't know whether that means they'll accept 2 more people or 20. And they accept about 380-400 overall.

Do any current students know where most MS1s live? I know a bunch of students live in Geneva, & Madison, and Jefferson Towers, but do a good portion of med students also live in the university hill area (or mostly just SU students)? What are other popular neighborhoods within Syracuse?

Do any current students know where most MS1s live? I know a bunch of students live in Geneva, & Madison, and Jefferson Towers, but do a good portion of med students also live in the university hill area (or mostly just SU students)? What are other popular neighborhoods within Syracuse?

I'm wondering this too. I'll be new to the area so I don't know where I should live...anybody looking for a roommate?

I'm wondering this too. I'll be new to the area so I don't know where I should live...anybody looking for a roommate?

I'll be looking for a roommate, but I plan to live in one of the towers for the first year. I went to SU for undergrad so I know the area pretty well. So if you or anyone else has any questions feel free to ask.

It's not very useful without having access to their historical yield data though. If the historical yield from offers is 50% then it is bad news, but if it is 33%, then it's not bad at all. Jmho.

historically (according to the school website), about 300-350 offers and 160 enrollments. However, it all depends on the applicant pool. The more schools people apply to, the more options they have. Sit tight and wait for HPA list to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.