2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something weird happened with my interview date. I signed up for the 12th when I noticed the status changed, then got the email a couple days later. I checked it again today, and it said I hadn't selected a date yet. I looked at the 12th, and that date and the 19th were no longer available options. They didn't even have the red highlight to show that they were full. Anyway, now I'm signed up for the 26th barring anymore changes. Has anyone else had this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Something weird happened with my interview date. I signed up for the 12th when I noticed the status changed, then got the email a couple days later. I checked it again today, and it said I hadn't selected a date yet. I looked at the 12th, and that date and the 19th were no longer available options. They didn't even have the red highlight to show that they were full. Anyway, now I'm signed up for the 26th barring anymore changes. Has anyone else had this issue?

Yea happened to me too, I just re-signed up again. My interview day I picked was October 15th though so it was still available. I think it happened because we didn't wait for the official e-mail

You're right, I sent them an email and that's exactly what they said. Still not sure why those two dates were unavailable though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email saying I am a great candidate for the Rural program - anyone know how this works? Will this hurt or increase my chances of getting into the school if I apply to it?

Hi guys. I was applying to Upstate last year and I'm an MS1 now. Process is lengthy but fun. Anyhow, a few things I wanna say.

- When you get an interview invite, wait for the official email invite before scheduling your interview date. If you just check the My Upstate website and saw your interview invite, and schedule your interview date, it will not go into the system and will be wiped ==> you'll have to schedule it again. I made the same mistake last year. Luckily, I called their office and was able to get the date I want even though it was no longer available on the calendar.

- On your application status (or something like that) where it says "Preferred campus is not selected" or something like that... It means you have not selected Syracuse or Binghamton for your clinical years. Don't worry about it. You will be given a form on your interview date to specify which campus you want to apply for. You can fill it out and turn it in right after your interview (recommended), or bring that form home and mail it in. Choosing Syracuse or Binghamton is not mutually exclusive. You have options of "Only Syracuse" or "Only Binghamton" or "Prefer Syracuse" or "Prefer Binghamton". If you don't care which campus, but have preference of one over the other, then choose one of the "Prefer" options. If you are adamant about going to a specific campus, then choose "Only" option.

- This year is the first that we're rolling out MMI (multiple mini interviews) interview format. There will be 8 stations. Each station is a room with a monitor outside at the door. You will read the question on the monitor, perhaps have a minute to think about it. Then you walk into the room and meet your interviewer (either a student or a faculty member). You then will have 5 minutes to answer your question. After that, you go outside and wait for 2 minutes while the interviewer fill out the evaluation sheet about you. Then you move on to the next station. One of the 8 stations will be an essay station where you will answer a prompt (computer-based). It seems like this is kinda replace the prompts for the secondary essay. You will be asked to sign an affidavit not to share the content of your interview questions with anyone else. Please follow that. After all, it'll be to your disadvantage that others competing against you have more time to prepare for questions that you only have a minute to prepare for.

- It seems like this year interview day will finish earlier than last year. You should be done around 1:30pm. After that you're free to sit in any lecture or lab that's going on (i recommend the anatomy lab if it's it's available). Otherwise go to MLC lecture. By the way, this year interviews are gonna be done around January instead of March like last year because the new interview process allows it to be done faster.

- Utilize the student host if you can. It'll save you $.

- Upstate is under probation as of right now. LCME will come back to visit us in March 2013 and we think that they'll lift the probation by then because we have fixed all the issues that we were cited for.

- If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Congrats to those who got interviews. Good luck! :luck:

Edit:

I forgot to mention that there are some special Wednesdays when there will be 2 interview sessions: morning and afternoon. You can choose to do the morning one (9:30-10:45am) or the afternoon one (1:30-2:45pm), hopefully when you schedule your interview date. For the morning session, the MMI will be done from 9:30-10:45pm, followed by Q&A session with the admission director, then campus tour and reception, and finishes at 1:30pm. For the afternoon session, MMI will be done from 1:30 - 2:45pm, followed by Q&A session, then campus tour and reception. I'm not sure when the afternoon session will conclude, but my guess is 5:30pm.

Last edited:
I have got a complete email Jul 27, and nothing since. I am OOS.
My status online is blank and they keep doing periodic uploads of LORs

Does it mean I am not really complete? Shall I call them?

thanks

I have got a complete email Jul 27, and nothing since. I am OOS.
My status online is blank and they keep doing periodic uploads of LORs

Does it mean I am not really complete? Shall I call them?

thanks

If you already received an email from the school saying you are "complete", then just sit tight and wait for an interview invite. If you have any doubt whether or not you are really complete, you can either call or email [email protected] an inquire about the status of your application. It's better to be proactive and perhaps annoying than missing something important. :)

i have got a complete email jul 27, and nothing since. I am oos.
My status online is blank and they keep doing periodic uploads of lors

does it mean i am not really complete? Shall i call them?

Thanks

+1

Hi guys. I was applying to Upstate last year and I'm an MS1 now. Process is lengthy but fun. Anyhow, a few things I wanna say.

- When you get an interview invite, wait for the official email invite before scheduling your interview date. If you just check the My Upstate website and saw your interview invite, and schedule your interview date, it will not go into the system and will be wiped ==> you'll have to schedule it again. I made the same mistake last year. Luckily, I called their office and was able to get the date I want even though it was no longer available on the calendar.

- On your application status (or something like that) where it says "Preferred campus is not selected" or something like that... It means you have not selected Syracuse or Binghamton for your clinical years. Don't worry about it. You will be given a form on your interview date to specify which campus you want to apply for. You can fill it out and turn it in right after your interview (recommended), or bring that form home and mail it in. Choosing Syracuse or Binghamton is not mutually exclusive. You have options of "Only Syracuse" or "Only Binghamton" or "Prefer Syracuse" or "Prefer Binghamton". If you don't care which campus, but have preference of one over the other, then choose one of the "Prefer" options. If you are adamant about going to a specific campus, then choose "Only" option.

- This year is the first that we're rolling out MMI (multiple mini interviews) interview format. There will be 8 stations. Each station is a room with a monitor outside at the door. You will read the question on the monitor, perhaps have a minute to think about it. Then you walk into the room and meet your interviewer (either a student or a faculty member). You then will have 5 minutes to answer your question. After that, you go outside and wait for 2 minutes while the interviewer fill out the evaluation sheet about you. Then you move on to the next station. One of the 8 stations will be an essay station where you will answer a prompt (computer-based). It seems like this is kinda replace the prompts for the secondary essay. You will be asked to sign an affidavit not to share the content of your interview questions with anyone else. Please follow that. After all, it'll be to your disadvantage that others competing against you have more time to prepare for questions that you only have a minute to prepare for.

- It seems like this year interview day will finish earlier than last year. You should be done around 1:30pm. After that you're free to sit in any lecture or lab that's going on (i recommend the anatomy lab if it's it's available). Otherwise go to MLC lecture. By the way, this year interviews are gonna be done around January instead of March like last year because the new interview process allows it to be done faster.

- Utilize the student host if you can. It'll save you $.

- Upstate is under probation as of right now. LCME will come back to visit us in March 2013 and we think that they'll lift the probation by then because we have fixed all the issues that we were cited for.

Congrats to those who got interviews. Good luck! :luck:

Edit:

I forgot to mention that there are some special Wednesdays when there will be 2 interview sessions: morning and afternoon. You can choose to do the morning one (9:30-10:45am) or the afternoon one (1:30-2:45pm), hopefully when you schedule your interview date. For the morning session, the MMI will be done from 9:30-10:45pm, followed by Q&A session with the admission director, then campus tour and reception, and finishes at 1:30pm. For the afternoon session, MMI will be done from 1:30 - 2:45pm, followed by Q&A session, then campus tour and reception. I'm not sure when the afternoon session will conclude, but my guess is 5:30pm.

Thanks for the info!

It can be when you have no idea what to talk about.

Also, still literally no communication. At all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite. Saw it on status page today. Not sure how long it has been there

Edit: Complete 8/3

Last edited:
Interview Invite. Saw it on status page today. Not sure how long it has been there

Edit: Complete 8/3

Interview Invite via status change yesterday. Complete 8/8. I guess we should wait to schedule the interview until we receive the official email?

Interview Invite via status change yesterday. Complete 8/8. I guess we should wait to schedule the interview until we receive the official email?

I think you can go ahead an book an interview spot. I think the status page is supposed to be your only source for updates (i.e. they may not be sending emails).

congrats to those who got interviews, mind sharing stats?

Interview invite! Holy ^@@*!!!!

IS (actually live in Syracuse), 3.6, 32. Complete 8/8

II today. Complete 8/15. I think we are supposed to wait for the official email or else the reservation doesn't go through...

+1... chances getting off hold? also OOS, wasn't sure what last yrs class chances were

+1... chances getting off hold? also OOS, wasn't sure what last yrs class chances were

idk but they relook at the apps in Dec/Jan and there were some ppl (counted 3 ppl!!) that got interviews, while others rejected!

Last edited:
i got the pre-interview hold, anyone know if that really means rejected lol

Woohoo Interview Invite via the status page!
IS cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.58 MCAT 33Q

E-mail was pretty clear, hold and/or pre-interview, seems like Upstate is willing to take a second look...I'm hopeful, I used to transport patients there and their hospital is pretty sweet...good luck to the other holds....

Same. Pre interview hold. Way to be decisive upstate!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

I guess I'm out of the running forever from Upstate considering I'm not even complete.

GL to the rest of you guys.

Hey Inphan, thanks for all the great info. I was looking into the probation, and wanted to know your take on it. It seems like it was due to 3 factors: lack of a central committee, cheating among 4th year students, and lack of consistency between the Binghamton and Syracuse campuses.

Do you have any more info on the last issue? What is your take on Binghamton vs. Syracuse? Thanks!

Got put on hold here as well. Not looking too optimistic..

I guess I'm out of the running forever from Upstate considering I'm not even complete.

GL to the rest of you guys.

They made a decision on you before you were complete? What happened?

Anybody else having trouble scheduling an interview. I schedled for October 3rd a week ago but my status still says no date has been selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.