2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there a link on the status page that shows up if you're on hold, or does that just mean you haven't heard anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please post the secondary questions. It would be super appreciated! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the invite for Rural medicine. Anyone have info on this? Is there any financial support? I couldnt find any numbers on this program I am OOS far away in Mississippi and trying to decide if I should submit the app. Thanks

Anyone doing or did this?

anyone interviewing this wednesday 9/19 want to meet up tomorrow, the night before the interview?

I logged into the SUNY Upstate application website, and I got an interview invite. I didn't get an email or anything though. Just found out now. IDK how long the status has been like that.

I was fortunate enough to get an interview spot on 10/3. Most other spots are filled until December.

Stats: 3.56/3.57/39R.

Hi, just posting to ask if anyone who interviewed here either today or before, what was the interview experience like? I have my first interview next week, and I am super nervous about this MMI experience? Is it a relaxed atmosphere? Any input is appreciated :)

Hi, just posting to ask if anyone who interviewed here either today or before, what was the interview experience like? I have my first interview next week, and I am super nervous about this MMI experience? Is it a relaxed atmosphere? Any input is appreciated :)
Yeah I thought it was pretty chill. I'm not a fan of MMI, but my Upstate interviewers and proctors were all very nice and guided us through the whole thing.

Yeah I thought it was pretty chill. I'm not a fan of MMI, but my Upstate interviewers and proctors were all very nice and guided us through the whole thing.

Thanks for your input! I am just hoping this goes well, my first and only interview so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Does anybody no any good hotels near the interview site for the school? I am looking at priceline,kayak, fly.com, and other sites to find something. Thanx.

Hey. Does anybody no any good hotels near the interview site for the school? I am looking at priceline,kayak, fly.com, and other sites to find something. Thanx.

Yeah I booked one, its called Red Carpet Inn North Syracuse, it was reasonably cheap, its not that far from the school and I will be renting a car, so it should only take my 5 to 10 mins to drive there.

Yeah I booked one, its called Red Carpet Inn North Syracuse, it was reasonably cheap, its not that far from the school and I will be renting a car, so it should only take my 5 to 10 mins to drive there.

Thank You so much!!! So the hospital is closer to North Syracuse. I was about to book an east Syracuse hotel!!! :love:

Thank You so much!!! So the hospital is closer to North Syracuse. I was about to book an east Syracuse hotel!!! :love:

No worries, when is your interview, mine is for this wednesday the 26th

I will be there on the 26th too! I fly out later today! See you there and best of luck! :)

Awesome, ill see you there I have to be there @ 8:45, so I guess we will be doing the morning interview

Had my interview yesterday. It was my first one. I got there around 8:30, and all but one of the15 other interviewees were already there (gunners). MMI wasn't too bad. I obviously cant talk about the stations, but overall the system was efficient and quick. Five minutes each, for a total of 40 minutes. The rest of the day included a tour given by students, a presentation, and lunch. We finished at 1 PM, except for the rural med and MSTP students, who had further interviews after 1. I like the school more than I thought I would, probably because I noticed that there are several pretty girls there =]

Hello All! MS2 here at Upstate. I am involved in the E-board and can tell you a little about the Probation details because it seemed to be plaguing a lot of the interviewees I met the other day.
Bottom Line:
PROBATION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL CURRICULUM!

Unfortunately when the media got hold of it, they perceived it that way.
The best part is that the people who really count know that it was an administrative problem that has since been almost completely remedied by the earlier calendar start (we used to be one of four of the latest starting schools) now allowing for way more time for exploring electives and specialties before residency applications.

What do I mean when I say the people that really matter?
Our 4th years last year had NO PROBLEMS matching. You heard right. Zero. Why? because their average board scores and other exposure in clinical situations is still ABOVE AVERAGE compared to the nation.

The people that matter most to us students are the health care professionals in the area and the residency programs. They have access to the LCME findings and they know why it happened too. And you know what? They all still have faith in our abilities based on the fact that we are constantly offered and entrusted with clinical duties and we are all still matching with no issue.

The great part about this was it fixed a problem I had thought about when I was applying with friends. Why the late start? Basically this and some other scheduling and timing issues were the main communication foundations of the probation.

I am happy that it happened because now I will not be rushing like some 4th years had to to complete my applications. I will be able to get them in early and know I explored many more specialties.

So hope that put your mind at ease. The public and media unfortunately do not have access to the LCME so they inferred and incorrectly painted the issue as we were not trained properly.

I love it here.
I love that I saw patients my second week here because of fantastic volunteer and shadowing opportunities.
I am happy about the calendar change and the communication lines that were opened up because of this.
Probation and the lifting of it in March are the best thing that could have happened I think.

Happy Travelling and Applying!

-MS2

P.S. Crowne Plaza is a close hotel. And if you are going to do Kayak, search around East Adams St. or Upstate Hospital. It is not North Syracuse or East Syracuse as some people have thought.
My advice is e-mail about a student host. We love when you guys come and want to show you everything we can and make you feel relaxed, not stressed, before your interview.

How long does the interview day last? I'm trying to make travel arrangements, and knowing the time we should be done by would help. Thanks!

I emailed the admissions office, and they said it would be done by 3.

Hmm I got a ticket already to leave at 4.. I thought it ends at least by 2, whether the interview starts on 8 or 10..
Also is anyone having a stay at the geneva tower? or have stayed before?

Hmm I got a ticket already to leave at 4.. I thought it ends at least by 2, whether the interview starts on 8 or 10..
Also is anyone having a stay at the geneva tower? or have stayed before?

I might be staying at the Geneva Tower. Just waiting to hear back from a student host.

Does anyone know what would be the best, cheapest way to get to the campus from the Syracuse Airport?

Pretty sure the Crowne Plaza runs free shuttles to and from the airport, though if you intend on staying there you should call and check how that runs. Not sure about any other hotels. Worth a call to where ever you intend on staying to ask.

Other than a shuttle, I'm not sure what options exist other than rent a car or get a taxi.

Edit: Just looked at the Syracuse Airport website. Says there are no buses from the airport to downtown. However it also says several hotels do run shuttles and courtesy phones exist in the airport to call your hotel for a shuttle. Definitely worth asking your hotel if they have a shuttle and a courtesy phone at the airport.

Last edited:
What's the consensus on sending in a letter of interest to Upstate before an interview invitation? My grades are below the matriculant average, but what I have to say might convince them! It's unfortunate that Upstate doesn't have secondary application essays, so that applicants can't express themselves beyond AMCAS... As OOS, this is one of my top choices, primarily due to location and network, so I REALLY want to interview here.

Anybody going to the MD/PhD interview in December?

i interviewed here a few weeks ago and I really liked it. i thought my interviews went decent too so I am really hopeful I get in.

i interviewed here a few weeks ago and I really liked it. i thought my interviews went decent too so I am really hopeful I get in.

How did you prepare for the MMI format? I am interviewing there next week and I am kinda freaking out lol

For anyone who drove, how was the parking situation? I go to school about an hour away and am driving up that morning.

II today. IS 3.7 33O. Earliest dates are in dec so ill probably pick one of those.

For anyone who drove, how was the parking situation? I go to school about an hour away and am driving up that morning.

I really wasn't sure where to park, so I just parked in the hospital parking lot for 14 bucks and walked. Its a short block away.

I really wasn't sure where to park, so I just parked in the hospital parking lot for 14 bucks and walked. Its a short block away.
OK cool so it was just one of those two parking garages?

I think he means the parking lot of Crouse Hospital.

I did in fact mean the Crouse parking lot. Again, guys, very laid-back atmosphere. I didn't prepare at all for the interviews here, since you really can't. Be relaxed - it is all about finding how you respond under time constraints and without preparation.

Anyone knows how many upstate interview and accept for both in state and oos?

I did in fact mean the Crouse parking lot. Again, guys, very laid-back atmosphere. I didn't prepare at all for the interviews here, since you really can't. Be relaxed - it is all about finding how you respond under time constraints and without preparation.

+1

I interviewed at Upstate recently and it was really chill. No need to stress (although I myself did stress before going there lol) because everyone's really friendly and definitely trying to help. Like the above poster said, there is no real way to prepare for the MMI. Just know that they won't make you do stupid tasks like "do a blindfold origami", "explain how to tie your shoelaces without using your hands"

It was pretty easy to work out parking, I just went to parking garage (I think it was across from the Children's Hospital) and then walked across the street.

this is going to sound stupid but whatever

when asked for which term you are applying for (when making the payment) did you select Summer or Fall?

pre-interview hold just now... 3.65/32 in state

For those who have interviewed already,

so If it's MMI, does that mean that we ever have one-on-one interview? As far as I know MMI tests your capability of certain tasks, rather than answering or conversing with interviewers. Is this correct? Or should I still be prepared for typical questions like why upstate or why medicine? :)

Thanks for the help!

For those who have interviewed already,

so If it's MMI, does that mean that we ever have one-on-one interview? As far as I know MMI tests your capability of certain tasks, rather than answering or conversing with interviewers. Is this correct? Or should I still be prepared for typical questions like why upstate or why medicine? :)

Thanks for the help!
Prepare for the standard questions.

Would love to meet some of the other interviewees!
I'm scheduled for December 5th, and my flight arrives around 4:30P. Anyone wanna get some dinner? Feel free to shoot me a message.
Good luck to everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.