2012-2013 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone be able to comment on the typical movement off the wait list? Thanks

Last year it didn't start moving until May...

Members don't see this ad.

Last year it didn't start moving until May...

Yea I imagined it would be pretty late. I was hoping for more input anyone may have on the average # of ppl who matriculate into Tech off the wait list though.

I called today and they said their wait list isn't ranked, so I'm wondering what percentage of the waitlist usually gets in.

So how are are applicants chosen off the waitlist if they aren't ranked? Random?

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke with Donna from the HOM office today. She stated that a 2 week MANDATORY orientation starts on 5/15/13 for the MD/MBA program and classes will follow starting 6/4/13. Wow. This is extremely early. I've heard multiple people state it was late May or early June.

Can somebody that's already in the MD/MBA program please verify?

This would be a good question to pose on the Facebook group IMO. It looks like we don't have many current MD/MBA'ers on the forums here but I know there are several from my class already in your Facebook group!

Last year I received my "alternate list" email on March 12th. I had attended the re-applicant seminar the year before so they gave me a personal phone call to review my application. At that time, they said the wait-list is un-ranked so the way they choose who fills is spot is based on who dropped out. They base it off of demographics, scores and if you're in a special program or not. I was told that anywhere from 5-20 people have come off the wait-list in the past...no idea if that's true. My best friend from undergrad got in off the wait-list in 2011, however I did not last year. I hope this helps anyone looking for info!

Anyone know what the average number of offers TX Tech hands out each year? For example, on some medical school websites they have listed class size (200), number of offers (400), number of interviewers (800), etc. Thanks!

Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!
I really appreciate the helpful responses I've gotten on this annonymous forum. It had a BIG impact on me deciding that Tech had the type of people I'd like to be with for the next 4 years.

Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!
I really appreciate the helpful responses I've gotten on this annonymous forum. It had a BIG impact on me deciding that Tech had the type of people I'd like to be with for the next 4 years.

Ditto (FB group and school district contacts as well).

I am withdrawing my other waitlists and apps this week. :) See you there!

Just got my waitlist email today!!!! So thankful to at least be on it :D Fingers crossed :xf:

just got put on waitlist... does everyone get put on waitlist or have there been rejections??

I got waitlisted, too! I have no idea if there have been rejections. There's no need to respond to the email, is there? It just said to let them know if you weren't interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also waitlisted. 4/4 at the TX schools I interviewed at.

"Dear TTUHSC School of Medicine Applicant:

The evaluation of applications and the interviewing process have been completed and the first offers of acceptance have gone out. This letter is to inform you that, although you were not among the first who were extended offers, we would like to place your name in our alternate pool.

The medical class for 2013-2014 is full at this time. However, some openings in the class are anticipated and these openings will be filled on a rolling admissions basis from the alternate pool. Decisions will not likely be made prior to May, so do not be concerned if you do not hear anything before then. If you have not received any correspondence by the end of May, you may contact the Office of Admissions for information as to your status.

You must understand that this is not an offer or guarantee of an offer for a place in our medical class. It is, however, an attempt to keep you informed as to your standing and potential for admission.

If you do not wish to remain in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine alternate pool, please let us know in writing or by email at your earliest convenience. Please keep in mind that all our communications to you will be through email and a current email address will be warranted for future reference.

Thank you for your interest in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine."

Last edited:
Same exact boat!!! 4/4 Waitlists. Please, someone want me!

Also waitlisted. 4/4 at the TX schools I interviewed at.

"Dear TTUHSC School of Medicine Applicant:

The evaluation of applications and the interviewing process have been completed and the first offers of acceptance have gone out. This letter is to inform you that, although you were not among the first who were extended offers, we would like to place your name in our alternate pool.

The medical class for 2013-2014 is full at this time. However, some openings in the class are anticipated and these openings will be filled on a rolling admissions basis from the alternate pool. Decisions will not likely be made prior to May, so do not be concerned if you do not hear anything before then. If you have not received any correspondence by the end of May, you may contact the Office of Admissions for information as to your status.

You must understand that this is not an offer or guarantee of an offer for a place in our medical class. It is, however, an attempt to keep you informed as to your standing and potential for admission.

If you do not wish to remain in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine alternate pool, please let us know in writing or by email at your earliest convenience. Please keep in mind that all our communications to you will be through email and a current email address will be warranted for future reference.

Thank you for your interest in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine."

Dang, what happened to everyone? We're the very last school right now on Page 4 haha.

Anyway, just got accepted to the MBA portion of the program, so I'll be doing the MD/MBA program starting in May. Looking forward to meet everyone!

Dang, what happened to everyone? We're the very last school right now on Page 4 haha.

Anyway, just got accepted to the MBA portion of the program, so I'll be doing the MD/MBA program starting in May. Looking forward to meet everyone!

Congratulations! Looking forward as well :)

Is spring training a mandatory event? I have a few important tests that I don't want to miss

For those of you who would like more information about TTUHSC SOM. The school is having a conference to provide more information about their programs. It's called Future Healthcare Providers Conference and it's free to register. They will have various sessions such as med student panels, tours, an example of what a medical school lecture is like, how to pay for medical school, and an insiders panel composed of admissions faculty and students.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/premedConf.aspx

If anyone has considered military medicine and wants more info, let me know. I am in the Navy's HSCP program and it pays pretty well, full health benefits for you and your family, etc. Send me a private message if you want more info.

Curious, does TTHSC in Lubbock prefer people who live in West Texas over those that do not?

Also, are they more likely to interview those that want primary care?

I stressed primary care in my app and I didn't get interviewed at either of the techs. I don't think they have a BIG west Texas preference. I had friends all over south Texas that got interviews at both. I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for. I turned in my secondary in September, so that probably hurt me and my stats were on the low end, but somehow I got interviewed at a few med schools from the ut system which I always thought were the schools that had a lesser emphasis on primary care compared to tcom, a&m, and the techs. I think they put less emphasis on diversity and socioeconomic background at the techs though and will accept someone with high or average stats from a well off family over someone with slightly lower stats but that have overcame hardship or are socioeconomically disadvantaged ( my circumstance). The techs also seem to give less of an advantage to URMs (not saying that they deserve one).

Last edited:
I stressed primary care in my app and I didn't get interviewed at either of the techs. I don't think they have a BIG west Texas preference. I had friends all over south Texas that got interviews at both. I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for. I turned in my secondary in September, so that probably hurt me and my stats were on the low end, but somehow I got interviewed at a few med schools from the ut system which I always thought were the schools that had a lesser emphasis on primary care compared to tcom, a&m, and the techs. I think they put less emphasis on diversity and socioeconomic background at the techs though and will accept someone with high or average stats over someone with slightly lower stats but that have overcame hardship.

That really shocks me that you didn't get looked at from Tech in Lubbock or El Paso and you live in El Paso!! Hmmmm...I'm not sure what either one is looking for either, especially since they're big on primary care, especially the Lubbock one with the FMAT program. I remember the president of TTHSC mentioned there is a desperate need for primary care docs in West Texas. Perhaps they're trying to get more funding and the way to become a top tier school (which equals $$) is through having stats that are off the chain. My nursing school was like that too; promoted super nutty stats to secure funding to build their own building. Crazy...

Did you get in to one of the UT schools? Curious, what were your stats (If you don't mind mentioning them...). Also, do you think knowing Spanish would be helpful to at least get an interview for the Texas schools, like TCOM? I want primary care and working in the ED showed me I really need to learn more Spanish.

Also, do you think knowing Spanish would be helpful to at least get an interview for the Texas schools, like TCOM? I want primary care and working in the ED showed me I really need to learn more Spanish.

Are you at least a Texas resident? Texas schools reserve 90% of seats for IS students, so that's the first thing. I know zero Spanish but I got interviews at 7 out of 9 schools in Texas (I didn't get interview invites for UTSW or Baylor). I didn't interview at TTU Lubbock until the last week of November, but I got a prematch offer from them 2 weeks later. I went to TTU for undergrad and I emphasized my ties to West Texas through my previous hospice volunteer work and shadowing in Lubbock, which I think really helped me there.

I had a balanced 27 MCAT and had a 3.5/3.6ish Sci and overall gpa. Ended up with interviews at utmb, uthscsa, Tcom, and A&M. Interviewed after the prematch though at all except for Tcom. Was prematched to uthscsa and it was my top choice so I ranked it number 1.

I've heard knowing Spanish really helps especially at the south Texas schools (utmb, Baylor, uth, uthscsa), but so does being URM. I doubt it helps much at Lubbock though. I don't think there is as big of a Hispanic population there. I didn't know any Spanish though, just the basics from middle school haha. I can definitely see lower ranking schools trying to boost their ranking by accepting just high stat people. I know the process at uthscsa and utmb is very holistic.

Last edited:
You have really great stats!! I'm thinking I need to do D.O. for grade replacement purposes.

Living and working in the medical field here in West Texas has shown me a need for Spanish. I always thought if I live here in West Texas, I'd be a front runner for TTUHSC. Also, I used to feel terrible when I'd take care of someone who only spoke Spanish :(

Thanks for sharing!! I'd LOVE to go to UTSA!! :love: It's such a beautiful city!!

Haha my stats aren't even average. But I am definitely very excited to go to uthscsa. Utmb was a close call but I didn't really like Galveston.

Officially accepted my offer off of the alternate list today!!!

Woah, congratulations! Finally some movement :) Hope more people hear something soon too!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using SDN Mobile

Hey Guys I'm a 4th year about to graduate from TTUHSC. I have a bunch of books from 1st through 3rd year for sale. I'm in Houston right now so if you're interested just text me. I can email you the entire list if you want as well, don't want to post it all here! Congrats!

832452004one!

I've hit the burnout zone on re-studying for the MCAT...Today would be a great day to find out I've been pulled from the waitlist :)

I've hit the burnout zone on re-studying for the MCAT...Today would be a great day to find out I've been pulled from the waitlist :)

Best of luck Sass! I understand the feeling. Just keep doing what you're doing. My favorite quote, "To do what others can't, you have to do what others won't." Never give up. Period. :)

Luis Perez called at 10:39 this morning.

I'm off the alternate list & into FMAT!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the move back to TX!!!!!

Whats the facebook group, again???

Congratulations! Come onnnnn SASSAFRASSS!

Question....Do they call your home phone or cell phone? I don't recall ever being asked my "primary" phone number or anything. Just wondering which phone I should have permanently attached to my body.... (as if my cell phone isn't already...haha... :/ )

Do you mind telling your stats?

Does anyone know how many they accepted off the waitlist so far?

Question....Do they call your home phone or cell phone? I don't recall ever being asked my "primary" phone number or anything. Just wondering which phone I should have permanently attached to my body.... (as if my cell phone isn't already...haha... :/ )
He called my cell phone. I was actually on the phone with Cincinnati, because I thought that's where I would be going.

He left a message saying he was hoping to discuss my application with me. I thought it was just a response to an email I had sent asking for feedback to improve my application for next year, but when I called back, he offered.....a little after 10:30 eastern.

He did say it was May 15 (the AMCAS deadline for holding multiple offers), and that they were starting to see some movement.

Then I was laughing & crying, so......not clear on the rest.

My Merlin was updated with an acceptance offer when I logged in just a few minutes later, and I started getting acceptance and scholarship (because of FMAT) emails within a couple hours after that.

Louis just called me at 9:50!!!! Off the wait list!!! I can't believe it, I'm freaking out. Totally unexpected...

My stats weren't anything spectacular, either: cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.2, 30 O, in-state

So don't give up hope!!!

Last edited:
Got accepted yesterday around 3! I just declined the offer though so good luck to someone else!

IS/31/3.8

Wow congratulations to everyone getting accepted! Glad to finally see some major movement!

I'm not expecting any other offers and would be more than honored to go to Texas Tech, but I was wondering how it works if another school might offer you a spot (that you want to take) after you've accepted a seat elsewhere?

I'm not expecting any other offers and would be more than honored to go to Texas Tech, but I was wondering how it works if another school might offer you a spot (that you want to take) after you've accepted a seat elsewhere?

This is very common. As you know, you can't hold more than one seat at a time after May 15. Here's how it works: you have your deposit holding your seat (say at Tech), then another school lets you in (let's say UCLA). UCLA gives you a week or two to decide before you need to tell them yes or no. Technically, you aren't considered to have two seats until you actually pay the deposit to hold the UCLA seat. So before the two weeks are up, you either pay the deposit at UCLA or you tell them no thanks. If you decide to accept the seat at UCLA, you drop the Tech seat and pay the deposit on the UCLA seat at the same time. If you want to keep the Tech seat, you just tell UCLA no and don't need to tell Tech anything because they always assumed you were going there.

Since it's after May 15, you generally wouldn't get your deposit back at Tech so you'd be out their deposit but you get to go to the school you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.