2012-2013: The Numbers (# of applications, interviews, acceptances, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this thread was created a couple years ago, (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-904134.html) and I thought it would be really useful information for those of us who are applying next year.

I have copied and pasted the information from two years ago:

Each person should add his/her relevant info to a post:

1) Area: school, clinical, counseling, other

2) # of applications submitted

3) # of interview invites

4) # of waitlists

5) # of rejections

6) # of acceptances

7) GRE score

8) GPA

9) Years of clinical experience

10) Years of research experience (undergrad. versus full-time research)

11) Information about publications, presentations

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?)

Your application year does not have to be finalized to post to this thread. As your # of acceptances, etc., change, you can just edit your post. :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Area:
- Experimental (was clinical; had a change of heart)

4) # of waitlists

5) # of rejections

6) # of acceptances
- 1 (Note: withdrew application from one university after interviewing; loved them, just.... loved the other place more)

7) GRE score
- 660 verbal, 650 quant, 4.5 writing

8) GPA
- 3.53 undergrad, 4.0 Master's

- 2 years undergrad, 1.5 and counting graduate

- 4 manuscripts in various stages of progress, 1 acknowledgment on a state government document, 4 conference presentations

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?)
- This was my second application cycle; as an undergrad I interviewed at one PhD program and was waitlisted at another; I was accepted into a fully-funded Master's program, and took it.The Master's program gave me extensive research experience and a chance to boost my quantitative skills.

Last edited:
1) Area: clinical PhD

2) 11 (applied)

3) 7 (interviews)

4) 3 (waitlists)

5) 7 (rejections), presumably (I HATE it when schools never tell you!)

6) 1 (acceptance), withdrew applications from 3 schools before hearing yay or nay from them

7) V: 162, Q: 156, AW: 5.5

8) 3.49 overall, 3.4 psych, 3.7 last 60hrs (I changed majors sophomore year, also was a double major for a bit. In case my username doesn't give it away, I attended a reputable, private university.)

9) less than 1

10) 2 years undergrad including senior research thesis (aka completing my own research from start to finish) and unique summer internship, approaching 1 year full time as a psychology techinican in an US Army research lab.

11) Pub in process (not submitted yet though). 2 conference poster presentations.

12) Relevant information: This was round 2 for me... I applied last year straight out of undergrad and had 2 interviews, no acceptances. Unsurprisingly, I just didn't have enough research experience in my area of interest to be competitive. I definitely don't think my stats are impressive, which just goes to show that experience matters. I've worked in an Adolescent Lab, Cognitive lab, and a strictly Experimental setting, but my interests have always been in trauma studies. Go figure! Work hard on those personal statements-- be honest but don't sell yourself short. Make yourself look as interesting as you are (if you're not... sorry!). Get the best letters of recommendation as possible, and then when it comes to interviews, be calm, honest, and as much as yourself as you would show in a professional setting :) I got into one of my top programs after applying to some pretty tough schools, so if you're persistent it's possible!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Area: school
- Clinical Psy.D

4) # of waitlists

5) # of rejections

6) # of acceptances

7) GRE score
- 160 Verbal, 162 Quant, 4.5; 690 psych GRE

8) GPA
- 3.4 undergrad from top 10 liberal arts school

- summer clinical research, senior thesis

- N/A

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle.
- A year of internship at a mental health provider working with HIV-positive and LGBTQ clients

Last edited:
1) Area: Clinical Psy.D

2) # of applications submitted: 7

3) # of interview invites: 6

4) # of waitlists: 2

5) # of rejections: 3

6) # of acceptances: 2

7) GRE score: 153V, 154Q, 710 Psych

8) GPA: 3.97

9) Years of clinical experience: 1

10) Years of research experience (undergrad. versus full-time research): 1 semester

11) Information about publications, presentations: None

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?): I applied to schools that were a good fit for my research and clinical interests. I was accepted to my 2nd and 3rd choice schools. I think my GPA, recommendations, and clinical experience compensated for my GRE scores. I probably would have had a stronger application if I had some more research experience.

1) Area: Clinical PhD
2) # of applications submitted: 14
3) # of interview invites: 2
4) # of waitlists: 1
5) # of rejections: 11
6) # of acceptances: 1
7) GRE score: V: 165, Q: 158, W: 5.5, Psych: 760
8) GPA: 3.7
9) Years of clinical experience: 0; just work in a clinical lab
10) Years of research experience: 3 years in one lab, 2 in another (both during UG, in unrelated fields), a summer at a 3rd (full-time and more specific to my interests)
11) Information about publications, presentations: 2 presentations, 1 pub in press, 1 unrelated Honors thesis in progress
12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle: Coming straight out of UG into a competitive field (neuro) where I only had 6 weeks of experience put me at a disadvantage, but one acceptance is all it takes! SOP was probably too vague and I wasn't very clear on specifics research-wise. Didn't really rank choices before applying, but was one of the last places I decided to apply to; thought it would be too close to home!

Last edited:
1) Area: clinical

2) # of applications submitted 15

3) # of interview invites 0

4) # of waitlists 0

5) # of rejections 15

6) # of acceptances 0

7) GRE score 163v, 154q, 4.0aw

8) GPA 3.6 from top 10 public school

9) Years of clinical experience 0

10) Years of research experience (undergrad. versus full-time research) undergrad: 2 years

11) Information about publications, presentations 1 school manuscript

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?) Nope

2) # of applications submitted: 11

3) # of interview invites: 5 (declined 1)

4) # of waitlists: 3

5) # of rejections: 2 off waitlist, 6 outright or assumed (no interview)

6) # of acceptances: 2 (1 off waitlist)

7) GRE score: 163V/156Q 750 psych

8) GPA: 3.75

9) Years of clinical experience: 1 (sort of)

10) Years of research experience: 1.5 undergrad, 6 months PT volunteer research

11) Information about publications, presentations:
Senior thesis (independent study), 2 conference presentations (1 international), 1 publication in preparation

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?): I got into my top choice, but that wasn't the most prestigous or anything -- it was mainly based on fit and the research going on there. I had REALLY good LORs and a solid stats background. Also, my undergrad institution is pretty well-regarded.

Clinical

4) # of waitlists

5) # of rejections

6) # of acceptances

7) GRE score

165V 151Q 3.5AW

8) GPA

1 semester

1 year undergrad

One poster presentation

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school)

I wouldn't recommend applying only to your top school, but I guess it can work once in a while. I would suggest that you really focus on making your application as good as it can be and carefully answer and explain exactly what the school is asking for in its guidelines for your essay... That is tailor it to the program, do not carbon copy it for each program.

2) # of applications submitted: 10
3) # of interview invites: 4
4) # of waitlists: 0
5) # of rejections: 6
6) # of acceptances: 3
7) GRE score: V: 167, Q: 156, W: 6.0, Psych: 670
8) GPA: 3.5
9) Years of clinical experience: 3
10) Years of research experience: 3
11) Information about publications, presentations: Two undergraduate manuscripts, one published chapter as co-author, two in-press manuscripts.
12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle: I applied to work with faculty who specialized in one of two areas. I was invited to interview, and was ultimately accepted at all of the programs where my research and clinical experience made me a good fit (two of which are considered the very best, most competitive programs in the country). The things that made me a desirable applicant were in part my background and experience, but I have a strong sense that the most significant factor for me were the letters of recommendation that were written. I have had the privilege to work with well respected, genuine, skilled people, and I've truly enjoyed working with all of them to further their research. Find people whose work you respect, and give them the opportunity to work with you and mentor you.

The last thing I would say is that I was summarily rejected by all the programs where my prior experience would not have prepared me well to work with the faculty there. Fit is important. No matter how strong you feel your application may be, know that fit is absolutely crucial to being truly considered.

1) Area: Clinical PhD, 1 School PhD

2) # of applications submitted: 14

3) # of interview invites: 9 (declined 4 after I got accepted to top choice)

4) # of waitlists: 2 (pulled applications after acceptance)

5) # of rejections: 6, 1 of which was post-interview

7) GRE score: 159V/158Q, 4.5 writing.

8) GPA: 3.82, Last 90 credits, 3.99

9) Years of clinical experience: 1 – Volunteering with rape crisis center.

10) Years of research experience: 1.5 undergrad, Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF), and 6 months (at time of application) full time paid position with large lab after undergrad.

11) Information about publications, presentations: Senior thesis. 3 conference presentations - 1 poster for thesis, 1 powerpoint (SURF), and 1 symposium talk (SURF). 1 publication in revise and resubmit (SURF).

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?): I got into my top choice - a top clinical science program. I apologize for my lengthy response but I want to share my experience in case it is helpful to future applicants. These boards always left me feeling like getting into a competitive program was impossible. The positive thing to come from that was that it made me work even harder. Despite not having the typical background (prestigious university, high GRE scores, etc), I still received interviews with some amazing programs. My background: I didn't go to college until my mid-20s, I left a corporate position and moved back home with my parents so I could start over. I went to a really small commuter liberal arts college that probably nobody has ever heard of. After learning how competitive getting into a program was, I made a plan before my junior year for getting into grad school and was very focused for the remaining years. My college had very little research opportunities, so I sought experience at larger universities. I worked my butt off, got to know my faculty members really well, and parlayed one of my undergrad volunteer experiences into a full-time job. I think what made the biggest difference in my application (having just okay GRE scores for the programs I was applying to, and not coming from a prestigious university) was that I had REALLY good recommendation letters, a clear, thoughtful statement, and was able to convey genuine enthusiasm for the work during the interviews. I wouldn't change anything about the process; however, I would try not to doubt myself so much. Congratulations to everybody who got in and best of luck to all future applicants!

Sorry for blabbing away.

Last edited:

2) # of applications submitted: 11

3) # of interview invites: 9

4) # of waitlists: 1

5) # of rejections: 4

6) # of acceptances: 5 (I turned down 1 school preemptively)

7) GRE score: 660 V/ 710Q 710 psych

8) GPA: 3.9

9) Years of clinical experience: ...No REAL (i.e., therapeutic) Clinical

10) Years of research experience: 3 years undergrad, 3 years post bachelors

11) Information about publications, presentations: Senior thesis (independent study), 10 conference presentations (4 first author), 5 papers (none 1st author, 3 2nd-3rd author), 6 encyclopedia entries (4 1st author)

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?): Really really great LORs. My patience paid off. waited a while to apply and only applied once. Got into one of my top choice schools. My advice: plan plan plan and ask ask ask (for help, for opportunities, for ideas, for papers).

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Clinical Psych PhD

2) # apps: 12

3) # invites: 1

4) no waitlists

5) # rejections: 11

6) # acceptances: 1

7) GRE: 640 V / 790 Q Subj: 730

8)GPA: 3.85

9) Clinical Experience: 1 year (volunteer undergrad)

10) Years of research experience: 2 years (undergrad)

11) Senior thesis. No publications

12) I got into my top choice. I applied straight out of undergrad, spent a year working on my grad apps, and feel incredibly fortunate to get on my first try out of undergrad. I applied only to top 20 programs, and my focus was affective neuroscience. My advice for applicants: work incredibly hard on your SOP, find programs with a great research match, and if you're applying for a research oriented program, take as much initiative as you can as an undergrad to participate in research and design your own study! Good luck to everyone in the next cycle!

2) # of applications submitted: 8

3) # of interview invites: 3

4) # of waitlists: 2

5) # of rejections: 5

7) GRE score: 161V / 153 Q / 5.0 W

8) GPA: 3.96

9) Years of clinical experience: 6 months

10) Years of research experience: 1.5 years undergrad

11) Information about publications, presentations: 1 presentation

I probably should have submitted more applications, so I would have had more options. But, the program I got into is great. Low amount of research experience seemed to hurt me in two of my interviews. I also feel very fortunate to be accepted the first year I applied and straight out of undergrad.

clinical
4) # of waitlists
5) # of rejections
6) # of acceptances
7) GRE score
Quant: 162, Verbal:164, Analytical: 5.0
8) GPA
1 undergrad, 1 full-time
1 pending publication, 1 poster
The only Psy.D program I applied to was the only school to accept me. Luckily, over the course of the application process, I realized that I much better suited for a PsyD than a PhD. 1st time applying, happy with the results

1) Area: Clinical (child focused)

2) # of applications submitted: 13

3) # of interview invites: 2

5) # of rejections: 11

7) GRE score: 800 quant, 620 verbal, 4.0 analytical writing

8) GPA: 3.89 cumulative, 3.81 psych

9) Years of clinical experience: 3 years volunteering for Suicide Prevention hotline

10) Years of research experience (undergrad. versus full-time research): 2 years undergrad, 2+ years full-time RA position

11) Information about publications, presentations: 1 paper presentation at national conference (first author), 1 poster presentation at national conference (first author), 1 manuscript pending publication (first author), co-authored and supervised 3 undergraduate poster presentations (all of these were within my time as full-time RA, no pubs during undergrad)

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?) This was my second application cycle. Last year, after 1 full year of full-time research, I had similar stats (one less first-authored presentation and 2 less co-authored undergrad research projects, otherwise same) and applied to 12 schools (only reapplied to 3 of those schools the second time) but got zero interviews. The main improvement this year was just revising my personal statement to make it sound stronger, more confident, and more "personal" (as my supervisor says, I jump off the page a lot more with my revised statement). The personal statement makes a huge difference!! Once I got to the interview stage, it was so much smoother for me (got into both schools who interviewed me!). Also, it's important to note that the schools who invited me to interview were not schools I had applied to the first time, so even though a school may seem like a fit to you, I guess you never know what exactly that school/faculty is looking for and similar sounding schools can actually be very different in that aspect! But what a relief to finally be going to grad school!

1)) Area: Clinical (PhD)

2) Applications submitted: 15

3) Interview invites: 7

4) Wait-lists: 1

5) Rejections: 12

6) Acceptances: 3

7) 157 V; 157 Q; 5.0 AW

8) GPA: 3.56 (overall); 3.7 (psych)

9) Years of clinical experience: 2 years of volunteering and interacting with participants in my lab, including interviews

10) Three years of undergraduate research including four independent projects.

11) Four conference presentations (1 national, 1 regional, 2 local)

12) I know I had really good LORs, research experience, and I attend a highly-ranked university. I think that those were the keys to my application along with my personal statement. I had also met many of my POIs at conferences, which helped get my name out there. I feel very thankful to have gotten in straight out of undergrad and was able to get into 2 of my top 4 programs.

Last edited:

2) # of applications submitted: 8

3) # of interview invites: 4 (declined/withdrew 1)

5) # of rejections: 4 w/o interview; 1 after interview

7) GRE score: 700V/800Q 5W 740 psych

8) GPA: 3.5

9) Years of clinical experience: ~1?

10) Years of research experience: 1 undergrad, 3 years post-bac (2 full time)

11) Information about publications, presentations: at time of interview- 2 published (not 1st author); 4 posters (again, not first author); 1 poster + 1 paper in prep for first author

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?):

What I did well: great research fit
What I did badly: too narrow of a research topic
I think the main reason I didn't get more interviews and more acceptances was because my area of interest was too specific- I had a specific topic (or combo of topics, rather) and methodology in mind I wanted to pursue. Of course, it turns out that very very few (i.e. less than a handful) of people in the country does what I want to do.

At the interview days, you are always being watched and judged. I saw many applicants (me included at some point) huddling together and talking about OTHER schools they interviewed at and how much they'd like to go there. Social events are not for connecting with your would-be cohorts, it's for connecting with grad students. Also, don't trash talk another school you interviewed at. I cringed because one of the applicants was putting down another very well known program that I also interviewed at. It was very awkward for all of us, including the grad students at the current school. Every little thing leaves an impression.

I got into my first choice, mostly due to research fit I believe. My GPA was mentioned several times (at my top choice) but never my GRE.

Also, as you can see, I have significantly more research than clinical experience. One of my interviews was at a top clinically oriented PhD, so I don't think it mattered that much.

Good luck to all future applicants and re-applicants! :thumbup::luck:

1) Clinical

2) 8

3) 3

4) 2

5) 7

6) 1

7) 165 V 159 Q 5.0 W

8) 3.1 undergrad 3.8 postbac

9) 0

10) 1.5 at time of acceptance

11) Posters, Publications, Presentations: None

12) Got into one of my to choices at the University of New Mexico. Really great facilities. Highlights, really strong LOR's, strong personal statement, experience with specialized skills (MatLab, fMRI, MRI)

1) Area: school, clinical, counseling, other: Clinical

2) # of applications submitted: 15

3) # of interview invite: 3

5) # of rejections: 12

6) # of acceptances: 3

7) GRE score: V159 Q 153

8) GPA: 3.75

9) Years of clinical experience: 1 Summer working as an intern for a hospice

10) Years of research experience (undergrad. versus full-time research)2 years of UG research in 2 labs. Also, worked in a specialty veterans clinic as a volunteer during the summer between my junior and senior year

11) Information about publications, presentations3 posters (2 regional, 1 international)2 papers under review (2nd and 4th author)

12) Give any relevant information that you think helped you to do well this cycle or that you feel you could improve on for the next cycle. (Also of interest might be: Did you get into your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice school?): I got into my first choice school once I visited. I took the advice of many on this forum and did not pre rank my schools. This was very helpful as I was able to be open minded throughout every interview

I think what really helped me stand out was my strong research interests. I have tailored all of my research throughout my UG career and my experiences outside of school to my interests. I believe this was the main factor for me getting in as I was able to make connections pertaining to my interests. This led to an overall stronger package I believe.

1) Area: Clinical Ph.D.

2) # of applications submitted: 16

3) # of interview invites: 11

4) # of waitlists: 2.5 (.5 = there was one PI who told me I was was being highly considered before she made any offers)

5) # of rejections: 5 (no interview) + 7 (after interview) + 3 (after waitlist)

7) GRE score: V: 650; Q: 740; W: 5 (Took it pre-July 2011)

8) GPA: 3.9

9) Years of clinical experience: cumulative - ~2 years (1 yr, 4 mo's full time at psych hospital + therapeutic summer camp + internship at center for disturbed children).

10) Years of research experience (undergrad. versus full-time research) - ~3 years part time undergrad in various labs + 2 years full time in one lab.

11) Information about publications, presentations: 1 publication as 2nd author, 2 poster presentations

I think my varied experiences and strong personal statement got me that many interviews. Yet none of the places I interviewed at accepted me. The one acceptance I received was from a school that I had decided to apply to super last minute, thinking it was pretty much my bottom choice (it's a prestigious program, I just didn't think it would be a good fit). However, they liked my application, accepted me pre-interview, and thankfully, when I visited, I realized the program was a great fit. I'm so happy that I applied to this school. I don't know what I would have done otherwise as it would have been mortifying to have received that many interviews with no acceptances!

I guess what I can recommend is work really hard on your personal statement and make sure it tells a cohesive story. I didn't have prior research experience in the area which I wanted to pursue in grad school but I worked hard to link what I have done with what I want to do. However, in the end, I guess it was hard to compete in interviews with someone who's done research in that area in the past when you haven't. But regardless, my mentor is super enthusiastic about getting me involved in what I want to pursue so I'm thrilled!

Clinical PhD (one PsyD program, which was a mistake in retrospect)

4) # of waitlists

None that I know of

5) # of rejections

6) # of acceptances

7) GRE score

V: 690 Q: 700 A:4.5 Psych: 720 (took them in 2008)

8) GPA

Overall: 2.97 (Seriously) Last 2 years: 3.64

See research experience

1 full year as part-time RA in undergrad, then 2.5 full years after graduation and rejections from grad school (when I applied the first time around). I started as a volunteer and am now finishing a contract as a research analyst in a hospital. Had the opportunity to work on two clinical trials. Interacted with clients in a research context for entire period (screening, assessments).

No publications - one in the works, but still not submitted as of yet. 4 poster presentations.

The school was maybe my third choice but I am thrilled to be joining the program and doing research in the area I was most passionate about.

My initial post-bac RA work was in the exact area of research I wanted to pursue, which helped immensely (in my opinion). I lucked out a bit, and at the same time I was able to volunteer to establish myself and made a solid impression that led to employment. I also gained two references from this experience from well-known psychologists in their respective fields. Initially I was very concerned my low GPA would still be a deal-breaker for some schools but I applied strategically (very good research fit in terms of my interests and experience to date), and received interviews from every school I applied to. Bottom line - if things don't look so great right out of undergrad, you can still get there if you know it's what you want and are willing to work hard to make it happen.