2012 AMCAS Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will leave him out of it, but does this number include what my step-dad made? This is now sooo unnecessarily complicated, and requires me to go digging into areas where I should just let sleeping dogs lie.

I actually just finished the application cycle (but I might wind up re-applying), and I was never asked any detailed questions that required me to know the finances of my parents for 18 years.

My point is that the number is absolutely meaningless. If from when I was 0 to 7, we lived on $5000 per year, and then my mother married a bazillionaire, the average would be a lot. But that totally discounts those years when I lived on $5000 per year. It's just a crappy designed question in my opinion designed to see if parents can pay for medical school out of pocket. It doesn't tell a whole lot about the applicant.

I wouldn't worry about this; they aren't going to track down your family financial history from the IRS or anything. (Honestly the last thing the admissions guys/gals want is more work).

IMHO, put down reasonable numbers (don't lie and make yourself out to be disadvantaged if both your parents were physicians or something) but don't be terribly concerned with accuracy. This isn't a 1040 or anything.

Again, I'm just annoyed at the required contact information, I do not want them calling my current employer and giving them [employer] a reason to cut me loose at will. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Again, I'm just annoyed at the required contact information, I do not want them calling my current employer and giving them [employer] a reason to cut me loose at will. :(

I really feel for ya'll on this one. I needed my boss to give me a recommendation, so I was able to tell him, but this is really bad policy change. Just because we all want to be doctors doesn't mean we can be unemployed for a year because AMCAS wants to do an employment background check on us. Pretty inconsiderate and silly.

There's no way that either AMCAS people or med schools will be able to logistically check contact info on everyone.

I wonder if random people will have everything checked for a spot check, if they will spot check one or a few entries on applications, or both/neither?

I definitely understand the current employer concern... has anyone contacted AMCAS to bring this to their attention?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, most large employers have an employment verification service available. I would assume you could use something like this for the AMCAS application and put a note in there about trying to keep your job.

Here's an example that one of my past employers used: http://www.theworknumber.com/ My current employer uses one, too, but I can't remember what off the top of my head.

There's no way that either AMCAS people or med schools will be able to logistically check contact info on everyone.

I wonder if random people will have everything checked for a spot check, if they will spot check one or a few entries on applications, or both/neither?

I definitely understand the current employer concern... has anyone contacted AMCAS to bring this to their attention?

I don't think they want too either. LizzyM posted that it's gotten easier for them to quickly skim through applicants (I assume AAMC has a webapp that schools can log into and sort by given criteria), but following up would be painful. Maybe if it's a really outlandish (or good) EC.

I don't know what good contacting AMCAS would do, they already made the change, and I think they only consulted pre-med advisors/similar about this. Must not care about non-trads or something.

FYI for upcoming applicants.

1. Dates (tentative)- May 5, AMCAS opens, begins accepting transcripts; June 1, AMCAS can be submitted
2. Biography- new required section on childhood; section on parents/guardians will be required
3. Work/Activities- contact information will be required; 15 experience descriptions, each 700 characters max; choose three as "most meaningful experiences," additional 1325 characters max.
4. Letters- many med schools now require that letters are on official letterhead and bear author's signature
5. Certification statement will be broken down into individual statements, which you must certify separately; includes one new certification stating that all written passages (essay, work/activities descriptions, etc) are your own and "have not been written in part or whole, by a third party."
6. Information from 2011 AMCAS will not roll over into 2012 AMCAS.

#6 sucks for me 'cause I already started my applicatioon and got my entire transcript so far filled in as well as extracuriculars and volunteering. Thought I'd get a head start or something, but man I'm gonna have to do all that again?? :annoyed:

#6 sucks for me 'cause I already started my applicatioon and got my entire transcript so far filled in as well as extracuriculars and volunteering. Thought I'd get a head start or something, but man I'm gonna have to do all that again?? :annoyed:

Copy + paste the text blurbs? (Or modify slightly to meet new length requirements if applicable). I think filling out the AMCAS is pretty pain-free (except the PS + tracking down LORs).

Copy + paste the text blurbs? (Or modify slightly to meet new length requirements if applicable). I think filling out the AMCAS is pretty pain-free (except the PS + tracking down LORs).

When the 2012 applications open up in May 2011, will the previous cycle's applications still be available to us? If so, then heck yeah copy and paste, but I thought what they meant by "will not roll over" is that when the 2011 application cycle closes, the 2011 application will no longer be available (i.e., it will be deleted). What I did was I printed what I have so far so that it will at least be saved somewhere, and then I can just re-copy the info onto the new app. Filling out the AMCAS is pain free but it's time consuming. And now from what I hear the 2012 app will be more like a research project (finding out your parents income and other personal info, etc.) which I'm also not liking since, like others on this thread, I too don't know my dad that well so I really don't know what they're trying to achieve. What does that have to do with me being a good physician? There are people who are orphans and are exceptional doctors.

Or if it's a financial thing like others hypothesized, what would that exactly mean? Who will be favored, those who can pay up front for the tuition or those who can't? Why should that even matter?? Again, how does that correlate to being a competent and passionate physician?

And now from what I hear the 2012 app will be more like a research project (finding out your parents income and other personal info, etc.) which I'm also not liking since, like others on this thread, I too don't know my dad that well so I really don't know what they're trying to achieve. What does that have to do with me being a good physician? There are people who are orphans and are exceptional doctors.

Or if it's a financial thing like others hypothesized, what would that exactly mean? Who will be favored, those who can pay up front for the tuition or those who can't? Why should that even matter?? Again, how does that correlate to being a competent and passionate physician?

Maybe I'm being naive and overly optimistic, not to mention biased -- raised by a single mother here too. But I'm almost certain that there isn't a single adcom member out there who would view an applicant who grew up not knowing their father in a negative light because of that fact. If anything, it's just something else you struggled through and came out ok. Different people might see it as more or less of a struggle/credit to your emotional strength/whatever, but I'm sure it won't reflect badly.

Same goes for the average income stuff, I'd think. Cheer up! Things that are out of your control aren't likely to be held against you.

Here's my question for everyone...In the powerpoint, slide 13, there's a screenshot of this parent info section. It has a checkbox at the bottom, "I am not able to provide this information." Not sure how that's intended to be used, I'm wondering if you only check that if you know NOTHING about your parent(s), or if you can check that and then leave some boxes blank. For example, you know they're alive and named Joe, not much else. Anyone happen to be more clued in here than me?

I have a question guys about this contact info bs. I never had a job or even applied for one so, what do I put for contact info, should I just put were I volunteered?

When the 2012 applications open up in May 2011, will the previous cycle's applications still be available to us? If so, then heck yeah copy and paste, but I thought what they meant by "will not roll over" is that when the 2011 application cycle closes, the 2011 application will no longer be available (i.e., it will be deleted). What I did was I printed what I have so far so that it will at least be saved somewhere, and then I can just re-copy the info onto the new app.

Download a free PDF printer (like PDFCreator) then "print" your AMCAS to a PDF file. You should still be able to copy/paste out of that, and you'll have a handy digital copy of your 2011 AMCAS to boot that you can look back on and laugh at when you're a doctor :)

Download a free PDF printer (like PDFCreator) then "print" your AMCAS to a PDF file. You should still be able to copy/paste out of that, and you'll have a handy digital copy of your 2011 AMCAS to boot that you can look back on and laugh at when you're a doctor :)

Thank you Movax! I really appreciate that :)

Maybe I'm being naive and overly optimistic, not to mention biased -- raised by a single mother here too. But I'm almost certain that there isn't a single adcom member out there who would view an applicant who grew up not knowing their father in a negative light because of that fact. If anything, it's just something else you struggled through and came out ok. Different people might see it as more or less of a struggle/credit to your emotional strength/whatever, but I'm sure it won't reflect badly.

Same goes for the average income stuff, I'd think. Cheer up! Things that are out of your control aren't likely to be held against you.

Thanks Catburr, I feel better now :) I just hope it all turns out well for all of us :luck:

Last edited:
This is going to be inconvenient to some applicants, especially if your parents worked outside of the U.S. (like mine did), then you'd have to convert their income into US dollars, which may turn out to be under $2,000/year. Do they ask WHERE your parents worked?

Yes same here. When you convert chinese yuan into US dollars ... it's like 7 to 1 ratio. So we made like 200$/ month back then, which raises an eyebrow. I just went according to a keyword on the statement "... MAJORITY of time from born to 18" ... then did an average from there.

I think they just want to know the conditions you were raised - whether you were struggling and lived in a box vs. having maids in a big mansion. Because that would show your character.

Hi,
I was hoping someone could help me with this thought I've been having...
In the work/activities section:
Should grants obtained for research go under their own category? Or list them as other?

Hi,
I was hoping someone could help me with this thought I've been having...
In the work/activities section:
Should grants obtained for research go under their own category? Or list them as other?
If you personally wrote for a competitive grant, you could mention it in the same space as the research. If you received a monetary award/stipend for some other reason, maybe list it with Awards/Honors. Or whatever you feel works best.

I assume that schools would want our publications listed in a formal format, such as when viewed on PubMed, right? But what about our posters? How should we list those? Any ideas?

Also, as an FYI for those of us out there with several posters and pubs, I asked AMCAS and got the go ahead to list as many as we could fit under one heading (e.g., "Publications").

Thanks and good luck everyone.

----------
UPDATE: If anyone else has the same question, I found the answer here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10946952&postcount=159.

Last edited:
Two quick questions. One of my letter writers lives abroad, so should I ask him to sign and send me the letter by post? Also, one of my activities was with someone who does not use email or own any sort of phone... when I was abroad I would always have face to face contact with him. What would I list for his contact information?

Nice 4 month old bump.

1) Ask him to sign the letter and send it straight to AMCAS along with the letter request form from ACMAS that you'll provide. It would be most polite if you could also include a pre-stamped, pre-addressed envelope with that form so that the letter writer wouldn't need to go to too much trouble.

2) Postal address if he's got one. Otherwise...uhhhh...owl post?

Nice 4 month old bump.

1) Ask him to sign the letter and send it straight to AMCAS along with the letter request form from ACMAS that you'll provide. It would be most polite if you could also include a pre-stamped, pre-addressed envelope with that form so that the letter writer wouldn't need to go to too much trouble.

2) Postal address if he's got one. Otherwise...uhhhh...owl post?

Thanks. Sorry about the bump ha, I thought it was better to search and ask because I know how much everyone on here hates new threads