2012 app cycle is quiet...too quiet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalapp12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.4gpa, 33mcat

Many years of research, many years of hospital volunteering, worked with patients directly in various clinical settings, college athlete, various leadership positions helping start nonprofit, really thinking about primary care.

California resident graduated from undergrad with good reputation. My application cycle feels too quiet for my liking right now...I know my gpa is low. Should I add more schools and if so, which ones? Thanks in advance for the help!

University of California--Los Angeles
University of California--San Diego
University of California--San Francisco
University of California--Irvine
University of Rochester
Tufts University
University of California--Davis
University of Southern California
Boston University
Saint Louis University
Pennsylvania State University
Georgetown University
Temple University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton University
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
Albany Medical College
University of Toledo
Loyola University Chicago
New York Medical College
George Washington University
Tulane University
AZCOM
ATSU
Western University of Health Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try adding University of Arizona Tuscon and Phoenix campus to your list as these schools are accepting up to 50% OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try adding University of Arizona Tuscon and Phoenix campus to your list as these schools are accepting up to 50% OOS.

Thank You yellowperil. I don't know why but LizzyM sheet has University of Arizona with almost 0%OOS. I'll definitely add this to the list.

I count 15-20 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. That's normal.

Thanks for the encouragement gyngyn but 15-20 schools sounds like a stretch. I think I would be lucky to get 1 interview...Anymore suggestions on more schools to add would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement gyngyn but 15-20 schools sounds like a stretch. I think I would be lucky to get 1 interview...Anymore suggestions on more schools to add would be greatly appreciated.

With your LizzyM score of 67, I counted about 9 schools where your LizzyM score is equal to or higher than the school's matriculation average, and thus about 9 schools where you have a reasonable to good chance of getting an interivew. Just based on stats alone I'd expect you to get around 6 interviews if your app isn't late, but it seems like with your ECs you may get a few more than that.

With your LizzyM score of 67, I counted about 9 schools where your LizzyM score is equal to or higher than the school's matriculation average, and thus about 9 schools where you have a reasonable to good chance of getting an interivew. Just based on stats alone I'd expect you to get around 6 interviews if your app isn't late, but it seems like with your ECs you may get a few more than that.

What is considered late? I keep seeing get it in early on studentdoc but when is it considered late? Most of my secondaries are in, still waiting on some to be complete, but still working on some. Is Septemeber considered late to turn these in or to start applying to more schools?

What is considered late? I keep seeing get it in early on studentdoc but when is it considered late? Most of my secondaries are in, still waiting on some to be complete, but still working on some. Is Septemeber considered late to turn these in or to start applying to more schools?

I feel like throwing some more of my hard earned cash at med schools. Any ideas on where else I should apply?

The State Universities of New York (SUNY) schools have been known to be friendly to California residents, so possibly apply to some of those. They have a few institutions, including Upstate, Downstate, and Stoney Brook.

Great title!

lol thanks, I have more money to throw...which schools should i toss it at?

And thanks Osteoth, I just took a look at SUNY Downstate and Buffalo. Both seem like good schools to go to. Not sure how they missed my list the first time. I'll be sure to add them.