WAMC? Should I apply for 25 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uranium235

Reaction score
Hi, I need help on whether or not I should apply this cycle and what my chances are. Any advice or school recommendations are welcome! Thank you!

In my third year at uni, Male, URM, CA resident going to East Coast public uni

Academic Stats:

• 3.5 cGPA, 3.41 sGPA
  • Chem minor & English minor
  • MCAT: 508 on AAMC practice(Taking late April)
  • 4 on PREview
Work Experience:
  • Waiter(600hr)
  • Swim Instructor(200-300hr)
  • Student athlete tutor(150hr anticipated by May)
Clinical Experience:
  • 20hrs pt aide
  • Doing clinical vol this semester 4hrs/week
Shadowing:
  • 40 to 50 hrs in cards at large general hospital
Research:
  • 240 hrs in a physiology lab
Volunteering:
  • 50 hrs with the swim team
  • 100 to 200 hrs with SAAC at school
Leadership:
  • SAAC vice president of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion(100hrs)
  • SAAC treasurer(100 hrs)
Other ECs:
  • D1 swimming at school(3000hrs)
Schools for 25 cycle:
-UC Davis
-UC Riverside
-UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering:
  • 50 hrs with the swim team
  • 100 to 200 hrs with SAAC at school
Where's your community service? You aren't ready to apply without significant community service to those who are in distress and you are not a subject matter expert or fundraiser. None of these activities qualifies.

Why did you take PREview before taking the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
No, I wouldn't recommend applying this cycle. You do not have enough clinical experiences. Even with 4hrs/wk, thats only about 100 more hours before you apply, and the total hours are not enough. You need more volunteering hours as well. Next cycle could potentially be an option. Until then, get your grades up your final year and do well on the MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am African American and Latino. I am also fluent in Spanish
Post your MCAT score here when available in May and we can suggest schools. You should accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering before you apply along with 50 hours of in person physician shadowing.

I doubt you’ll be ready to apply in May 2024. And that’s okay. You really only want to apply once with the best application possible. So slow down and do it right. What do you do clinically for 4 hours weekly? Is it face to face contact with patients?
From what you have shared you have no nonclinical volunteering at all. You need at least 150+ hours to be considered. Although you have 40+ hours of shadowing, it is all with cardiology. Get some with a primary care doc. You don’t need much but it will be beneficial to your application.
Good luck on the MCAT.

While I agree with the rest that your volunteer and clinical hours need improving, I think the fact that you are a D1 student-athlete might give you some leeway. The weekly time commitment for a D1 athlete is huge ( around 20 hours) and makes committing to volunteering much more challenging. Some admission committees can be understanding, especially if you give a good explanation in your application, and show a consistent effort in pursuing volunteer opportunities separate from team based- community service projects, whenever you are able to spare time. SAAC is good for the application, but is considered a leadership position rather than community service. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users