2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are five sites listed so far in the post-match and they all look very attractive. Don't give up as there are still close to six months before most internships start and so folks will have to withdraw due to personal or physical concerns that they did not expect to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Just wanted to check in. I didn't match, but am not as bummed out as I was for Phase 1.

I'm looking forward to this coming year actually putting in good effort for my dissertation, writing articles, hopefully get to teach some classes at the local community college, and most importantly of all, living with my partner again.

I'm already putting together my list for next year, and so over-prepared for it. I think I'll work on 2-3 cover letters each month. Given what happened this year, even though I know I will be a better applicant next year, it is still stressful and I plan on applying to many more places (likely double what I applied to this year).

I will keep looking at the clearinghouse if a site pops up that is a great match from now until Fall, but I won't apply just for the sake of applying.

Hey all,

Just wanted to check in. I didn't match, but am not as bummed out as I was for Phase 1.

I'm looking forward to this coming year actually putting in good effort for my dissertation, writing articles, hopefully get to teach some classes at the local community college, and most importantly of all, living with my partner again.

I'm already putting together my list for next year, and so over-prepared for it. I think I'll work on 2-3 cover letters each month. Given what happened this year, even though I know I will be a better applicant next year, it is still stressful and I plan on applying to many more places (likely double what I applied to this year).

I will keep looking at the clearinghouse if a site pops up that is a great match from now until Fall, but I won't apply just for the sake of applying.

Sorry to hear that. I'm in the same place as you. Didn't match but only feel about half as defeated as I did after Phase I. I, too, have started complying a list. I also contacted the TDs from the sites were I interviewed asking for feedback. I only sent the emails out last night but I did get one this morning which was nice. Le sigh.

Some really good sites are on the match list and one in Toronto and two slots in California that is APA accredited and pays $36,000 dollars. Seems odd that there are very high quality sites that did not get interns in phase I or II, especially an APA accredited site. The APA accredited site just added two slots due to extra funding. Hopefully, they select students that already interviewed with them but were not selected in phase I or II.

Hey all,

Best of luck to you. You've probably already heard it more than a few times during your interviews, but if you can crank out your dissertation prior to starting internship, you'll be in a much, much happier place, trust me (I speak from experience).

After reading this thread daily for so many months, I have to say, I'm sad it's coming to an end!

Last edited:
Some really good sites are on the match list and one in Toronto and two slots in California that is APA accredited and pays $36,000 dollars. Seems odd that there are very high quality sites that did not get interns in phase I or II, especially an APA accredited site. The APA accredited site just added two slots due to extra funding. Hopefully, they select students that already interviewed with them but were not selected in phase I or II.

I already know of one site that did have an opening and contacted an unmatched classmate who interviewed with them for Phase I and gave a direct offer...the opening was not announced.

FWIW, found out today that my site is turning their self-study in to the APA soon. Site visit should occur whilst I'm there, so I may get my APA spot afterall.

I already know of one site that did have an opening and contacted an unmatched classmate who interviewed with them for Phase I and gave a direct offer...the opening was not announced.

FWIW, found out today that my site is turning their self-study in to the APA soon. Site visit should occur whilst I'm there, so I may get my APA spot afterall.

That's great news for both you and your classmate! Congrats!!! :thumbup:

Thank you all for being a source of support during all these months, even when I did not post much! Best wishes to all! :):)

Thanks everyone! Sorry for all of us who have to go through it again. I was a third year, so my hours were lower than the competition.
So I'll take some extra classes, try to publish my dissertation, get some great training, and grieve the loss of the Air Force.

Hi:

Sorry to hear that. I myself am concerned about the amount of hours I am able to get. Since you applied as a third year, how many hours do you think are realistic to get as a third year (not asking for your numbers :))? I noticed that most sites ask for at least 300 hours and, sometimes, additional testing hours, 100 or so. Now, I wonder whether one is able to accumulate 300 as a third year or, how many are possible as a fourth year, fifth year, respectively??

Hi:

Sorry to hear that. I myself am concerned about the amount of hours I am able to get. Since you applied as a third year, how many hours do you think are realistic to get as a third year (not asking for your numbers :))? I noticed that most sites ask for at least 300 hours and, sometimes, additional testing hours, 100 or so. Now, I wonder whether one is able to accumulate 300 as a third year or, how many are possible as a fourth year, fifth year, respectively??

This may not necessarily be applicable to you, especially if you are in a PhD or a research-heavy PsyD program. I am in a PsyD program that has high hour requirements for practicum, so I applied with about 650 intervention. But like I said, I would imagine there is quite a bit of variation depending on your training program and what kinds of internships you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those who are in California or know about the California CAPIC system, today was their Round 2 match day. I'm feeling pretty bummed, as most of my cohort mates received internships today. Although I knew I wasn't getting anything because I didn't apply, still makes me feel pooey. I am trying to remind myself that the internships they are receiving are unpaid and will potentially put restrictions on their future careers...still feel icky though.

Okay sorry enough complaining. Just felt like I can't talk about it to my cohort mates because I don't think they would necessarily understand my rationale for not going for an unpaid CAPIC internship.

So for those who are in California or know about the California CAPIC system, today was their Round 2 match day. I'm feeling pretty bummed, as most of my cohort mates received internships today. Although I knew I wasn't getting anything because I didn't apply, still makes me feel pooey. I am trying to remind myself that the internships they are receiving are unpaid and will potentially put restrictions on their future careers...still feel icky though.

Okay sorry enough complaining. Just felt like I can't talk about it to my cohort mates because I don't think they would necessarily understand my rationale for not going for an unpaid CAPIC internship.

actually, there are some if not many, excellent CAPIC internship positions that were filled that pay a significant stipend...and/or also meet requirements for licensure in other states. sorry you feel icky...best wishes for next year!! :thumbup:

we all have different goals and callings, if you will, and i would hope that your classmates would understand that and be supportive of you. good luck to you hope you get a great internship next time. i imagine you will be highly competitive next year after just having the internship application experience alone, not to mention more clinical training.

So for those who are in California or know about the California CAPIC system, today was their Round 2 match day. I'm feeling pretty bummed, as most of my cohort mates received internships today. Although I knew I wasn't getting anything because I didn't apply, still makes me feel pooey.

Taking one year longer isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I know it stings not matching with the rest of your cohort; I was the only one from my cohort who didn't match my year. I actually received an unsolicited offer through a contact I made a few years before, but the site wasn't a good fit for my training goals.

I didn't fully appreciate the amount of pressure a student feels going through the Match system until I was confronted with the choice of accepting an offer to a site that wouldn't meet my needs, or going through the entire process again and possibly ending up back in the Clearinghouse with few/no options. I definitely understand why people look outside of the match to avoid going through the process again, though I think the pressure created from the match may make students feel like taking an alternative path is the only way to go.

Taking one year longer isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I know it stings not matching with the rest of your cohort; I was the only one from my cohort who didn't match my year. I actually received an unsolicited offer through a contact I made a few years before, but the site wasn't a good fit for my training goals.

I didn't fully appreciate the amount of pressure a student feels going through the Match system until I was confronted with the choice of accepting an offer to a site that wouldn't meet my needs, or going through the entire process again and possibly ending up back in the Clearinghouse with few/no options. I definitely understand why people look outside of the match to avoid going through the process again, though I think the pressure created from the match may make students feel like taking an alternative path is the only way to go.
A good thing about this forum is that it provides a place for students to realize that there are many ways to make progress into the profession, that none of them are easy, quick, or inexpensive, and that you really do have to start on the adult world task of sorting out for yourself what your values and needs are. There are no guarantees of professional success or happiness. It is difficult to watch others in your cohort take different paths and 5 or 10 years from now you will see how still more diverse the outcomes will be--and not necessarily in the direction you'd predict. This forum is full of stories where disappointment led to satisfying outcomes a year or so later. And there are some of satisfying outcomes that led to disappointment. At the core, I think, being able to radically accept the circumstances and then move in the directions of your own personal values is most reliable.

This is something I struggled with after not matching in Phase I. Although I received a fair amount of interviews in Phase II, I again did not match. Despite not matching in Phase II, I am somewhat grateful as participation in Phase II was something my school encouraged despite the low number of APA accredited sites avaliable in my area of interest. My school is currently encouraging those who have yet to match to continue on to clearing house which has a limited amount of APA or APPIC sites or to have students try to set up their own internship opportunities with existing community organizations. Although I am keeping my eyes open for sites in the clearinghouse process, I am also preparing myself for next year as I know many of the sites that I would like to apply to and am working to improve my essays. It will be unfortunate if I am not able to graduate with my peers; however, I would rather wait and have an internship position that would meet my long term career goals than sacrifice my hard work over the past 6 years of grad school by settling. I continue to wish the rest of those who have not matched the best both through clearing house and with next years application process.

This is something I struggled with after not matching in Phase I. Although I received a fair amount of interviews in Phase II, I again did not match. Despite not matching in Phase II, I am somewhat grateful as participation in Phase II was something my school encouraged despite the low number of APA accredited sites avaliable in my area of interest. My school is currently encouraging those who have yet to match to continue on to clearing house which has a limited amount of APA or APPIC sites or to have students try to set up their own internship opportunities with existing community organizations. Although I am keeping my eyes open for sites in the clearinghouse process, I am also preparing myself for next year as I know many of the sites that I would like to apply to and am working to improve my essays. It will be unfortunate if I am not able to graduate with my peers; however, I would rather wait and have an internship position that would meet my long term career goals than sacrifice my hard work over the past 6 years of grad school by settling. I continue to wish the rest of those who have not matched the best both through clearing house and with next years application process.
Graduating with your peers is over-rated and fades quickly, especially relative to doing what you truly want to do. Taking a year to apply again, having the dissertation completed if possible, and perhaps having some gainful employment in a clinical area will put you in a much different situation in the next round. Just looking at the Match stats makes it clear that not everyone can get through the gate to the next stage at the same time and so paths and mileage may vary. But if you stay on course you will find your way. And every year there are some amazing positions that do open up in the post-Match season. Not many, but you only need one.

And every year there are some amazing positions that do open up in the post-Match season. Not many, but you only need one.

My friend who was a year ahead of me didn't initially match, and then a slot at Hopkins (one of his top choices) opened up late because the matched person had to drop out for family reasons. I believe an SDN'er a couple years ago landed a UF Neuro spot through the Clearinghouse/Phase II. My year there was an unexpected spot that opened up at the Boston Consortium. Obviously these are all exceptions to the rule, so plan to re-apply, but a last minute match isn't unheard of because life happens.

What are people's thoughts on non-APPIC sites. I realize that places like VAs and jails wouldn't accept such internships but are there other repercussions? I'm trying to decide between gaining more experience/taking another year or getting this internship year over with and "settling" for a non-APPIC site.

I'm not sure about the long term ramifications regarding CAPIC. That being said, I don't think I'm willing to take a chance. VAs require APA and several Kaisers do now too. Those are the two biggest employers of psychologists across the country.

Anyone apply to clearing house sites? I'm on the fence about Central CA Consortium. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the quality of their training program from people I trust. Thoughts?

I applied to the Central CA place b/c it's the only APA place that has popped up and since the match is over, I could technically make my decision to accept or not after an acceptance was given. Also, although it is far from what I want to do career-wise, I do have a lot of experience working in developmental centers. I e-mailed my application materials almost a week ago and haven't heard a peep. I'm sort of assuming they will cater to people from CA, but who knows... btw--in case you decide to apply, all they requested initially is a cover letter and your CV sent to the e-mail address on the announcement.

I applied to the Central CA place b/c it's the only APA place that has popped up and since the match is over, I could technically make my decision to accept or not after an acceptance was given. Also, although it is far from what I want to do career-wise, I do have a lot of experience working in developmental centers. I e-mailed my application materials almost a week ago and haven't heard a peep. I'm sort of assuming they will cater to people from CA, but who knows... btw--in case you decide to apply, all they requested initially is a cover letter and your CV sent to the e-mail address on the announcement.

Thanks.

I applied. Let me know if you hear anything. I will let you know as well.

Did you receive an e-mail acknowledging the receipt of your application? I applied last week and that's all I heard from them.

Did you receive an e-mail acknowledging the receipt of your application? I applied last week and that's all I heard from them.

I received an email informing me they got my application. That is all.

Hi everyone! :D

My official doctoral program academic training supervised practicum will be over in one month. I will start applying for my predoctoral internship next year (Fall 2012). Right now I am looking for a placement to work and have more experience next year before I go to my Internship. And yes, I would rather find something that I can count as my APPIC experience hours.

According to APPIC, we can record our experience as APPIC Intervention Experience only if it is included into our "academic training and credit or program-sanctioned training or program-sanctioned work experiences (e.g., VA summer traineeship, clinical research positions, time spent in the same practicum setting after the official practicum has ended)". This experience must be approved by the program director and supervised.

I haven't found any specific information about program sanctioned hours and the quality of supervision required for this kind of experience. Should it be individual, or can it be only group supervision? :confused:

Would anyone please let me know if I need individual supervision for this work.

Would just group supervision be fine? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your response!:) :thumbup:

Hi everyone! :D

My official doctoral program academic training supervised practicum will be over in one month. I will start applying for my predoctoral internship next year (Fall 2012). Right now I am looking for a placement to work and have more experience next year before I go to my Internship. And yes, I would rather find something that I can count as my APPIC experience hours.

According to APPIC, we can record our experience as APPIC Intervention Experience only if it is included into our "academic training and credit or program-sanctioned training or program-sanctioned work experiences (e.g., VA summer traineeship, clinical research positions, time spent in the same practicum setting after the official practicum has ended)". This experience must be approved by the program director and supervised.

I haven't found any specific information about program sanctioned hours and the quality of supervision required for this kind of experience. Should it be individual, or can it be only group supervision? :confused:

Would anyone please let me know if I need individual supervision for this work.

Would just group supervision be fine? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your response!:) :thumbup:

If the guidelines don't explicitly mention anything, I'd imagine group supervision would be fine; the majority of my supervision in grad school occurred in a group environment. You definitely need to be sure you're being supervised by a psychologist and that the training is sanctioned by your program for it to "count," though.

Thanks AcronymAllergy!

Another question: when we count the APPI hours, what hours exactly can we count as AAPI Intervention Hours? Do I understand it right, that I summarize individual hours, group, couples, intake, assessment, etc?

Also, when we count # of different individuals, do we add clients /patients whom we have seen individually, or do we also add those whom we have worked with in group format?

Sorry for all the simple questions, I am just confused and worry that I did all the calculations incorrectly...:confused:

Thanks!!!

Thanks AcronymAllergy!

Another question: when we count the APPI hours, what hours exactly can we count as AAPI Intervention Hours? Do I understand it right, that I summarize individual hours, group, couples, intake, assessment, etc?

Also, when we count # of different individuals, do we add clients /patients whom we have seen individually, or do we also add those whom we have worked with in group format?

Sorry for all the simple questions, I am just confused and worry that I did all the calculations incorrectly...:confused:

Thanks!!!

I think you count individuals from groups in the # of individuals, although double check before doing so.

As for intervention hours, they don't include assessments (as there's a separate category for assessment hours). Intakes were the subject of discussion/confusions in a separate thread (i.e., whether they count as intervention vs. assessment hours); my and another poster's view was that it counts as intervention if the purpose was more of an initial session to better map out your conceptualization and treatment plan, and an assessment if it was simply to answer a diagnostic referral question without intentions to treat. I think in the end, I personally ended up counting all intakes as assessment hours, but that doesn't mean I was right. Individual and group sessions both always count towards intervention hours, though. And then there's the separate category for support hours, or something like that, which includes time spent writing notes and reports, as well as the supervision hours category.

At least I think I'm remember all that correctly.

In the end, just keep in mind that the total hours count isn't necessarily terribly important beyond a certain point. Don't keep yourself up at night trying to decide if you have 503 or 506 assessment hours, for example. Just be as accurate as is feasible, make educated guesses whenever necessary, and make no attempts to grossly misrepresent your experiences, and you'll likely be fine.

I think you count individuals from groups in the # of individuals, although double check before doing so.

Nope, for groups you count the total number of groups, not the total number of individuals. So if you led 3 different groups that had 10 people each, you list this as 3 for group therapy.

Nope, for groups you count the total number of groups, not the total number of individuals. So if you led 3 different groups that had 10 people each, you list this as 3 for group therapy.

Well there ya go; makes more sense. Thank ya. Funny how much about the application you forget after just 1.5 years.

^^ Beat me to it.

I *wish* I could count all those group folks as separate individuals. I'd have TONS by this point. :laugh:

^^ Beat me to it.

I *wish* I could count all those group folks as separate individuals. I'd have TONS by this point. :laugh:

Haha indeed, although then committees might start wondering why people have 40 patients listed, but only 10 hours of intervention.

Hi everyone,
I am looking for informed opinions on the possible impact of applying to internship while on a leave of absense from my program. After not matching this year I am considering taking a leave of absense and getting an MA level job in the field while reapplying next year (I've completed all requirements except diss which I would continue to work on). My DCT has some concerns about how this may look to TDs and I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with this or knows someone who does? Thank you!

Hi everyone,
I am looking for informed opinions on the possible impact of applying to internship while on a leave of absense from my program. After not matching this year I am considering taking a leave of absense and getting an MA level job in the field while reapplying next year (I've completed all requirements except diss which I would continue to work on). My DCT has some concerns about how this may look to TDs and I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with this or knows someone who does? Thank you!
I don't have personal experience with this; however, a friend of mine did this last year. All of her coursework was completed except her dissertation, which we are required to finish before going on internship. She took the year off to work, and ended up at a great, highly competitive internship placement this year. I can't say whether or not sites asked her about her taking extra time (which was due to personal issues, not a problem with her dissertation), but at the end of the day, it didn't seem like it affected her negatively.

Hi everyone,

I am in a similar situation, all my coursework except dissertation done. At my program, dissertation is technically a course that we get units for. So in my situation I will actually be enrolling in what is called "Dissertation Extension", basically an extra credit course that keeps you enrolled in the program without the cost associated with it. Perhaps there is something like this at your school?

I am in a similar situation, all my coursework except dissertation done. At my program, dissertation is technically a course that we get units for. So in my situation I will actually be enrolling in what is called "Dissertation Extension", basically an extra credit course that keeps you enrolled in the program without the cost associated with it. Perhaps there is something like this at your school?

We've had a number of students in our program do just this. They left the area for various reasons but continued working on their dissertation, so they registered for dissertation credit hours to keep their student status. They applied for internship along with everyone else, and from my recollection, all of them have matched successfully.

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks AcronymAllergy!

Thanks!!!
I would actually encourage you to look at the application site portal.appicas.org. If its still up. The instructions for hours is pretty simple. My school also paid for time2track to help us keep up with our hours for practicum and this helped me a lot, not that I'm endorsing you to pay for it. The intervention part breaks down hour from group to individual to school etc. and it will list there what it needs whether # of individual or groups.

I would actually encourage you to look at the application site portal.appicas.org. If its still up. The instructions for hours is pretty simple. My school also paid for time2track to help us keep up with our hours for practicum and this helped me a lot, not that I'm endorsing you to pay for it. The intervention part breaks down hour from group to individual to school etc. and it will list there what it needs whether # of individual or groups.

To each his/her own. I dislike T2T (and this was after I helped research it for our program and get it implemented--now everyone's "required" to use it). :p I've seen/used better excel spreadsheets. Groups are a PITA to enter/track, especially if you have multiple groups, open groups, etc.

Hi everyone,

When I applied this year I only have dissertation units. I didn't even enroll to a practicum site and worked instead. I was worried they will ask me about this but never came up in any interviews. I got into a good APA internship. So don't open up the discussion if not needed when it comes to interviews.
The difference is, I was still enrolled with dissertation units. I'm not sure if in my school we are allowed to apply for internship when on LOA. Technically speaking we can not work on our dissertation if we are not enrolled for it at least in my school. If you're school let's you apply then there shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know if the DCTs are asked about enrollment status in the application?

Last edited:
To each his/her own. I dislike T2T (and this was after I helped research it for our program and get it implemented--now everyone's "required" to use it). :p I've seen/used better excel spreadsheets. Groups are a PITA to enter/track, especially if you have multiple groups, open groups, etc.

Yeah I'm sure there are better program out there but since it was available to me for free I don't turn away graces ;)

As for intervention hours, they don't include assessments (as there's a separate category for assessment hours). Intakes were the subject of discussion/confusions in a separate thread (i.e., whether they count as intervention vs. assessment hours); my and another poster's view was that it counts as intervention if the purpose was more of an initial session to better map out your conceptualization and treatment plan, and an assessment if it was simply to answer a diagnostic referral question without intentions to treat. .

Thanks AcronymAllergy! It seems that assessment hours are NOT included into intervention hours, however intakes and supervision of other students are included. For instance, look at the index here: https://portal.appicas.org/applicants2012/instruction/appic_general_instructions.htm

Same in the guidelines: https://portal.appicas.org/applicants2012/pdf/AAPI_Online_Instructions_2011-2012.pdf here: "The experiences that you are summarizing in this section are professional activities that you have provided in the presence of a client" (Instructions, page 20).

I have also found information that both intervention hours and assessment hours are included into direct service hours (face-to-face). For instance, if you go to this page http://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/graduate/clinical/phd/index.html and then find this Guidelines for Tracking Clinical Hours , you will know what I am talking about....

Thanks AcronymAllergy! It seems that assessment hours are NOT included into intervention hours, however intakes and supervision of other students are included. For instance, look at the index here: https://portal.appicas.org/applicants2012/instruction/appic_general_instructions.htm

Same in the guidelines: https://portal.appicas.org/applicants2012/pdf/AAPI_Online_Instructions_2011-2012.pdf here: "The experiences that you are summarizing in this section are professional activities that you have provided in the presence of a client" (Instructions, page 20).

I have also found information that both intervention hours and assessment hours are included into direct service hours (face-to-face). For instance, if you go to this page http://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/graduate/clinical/phd/index.html and then find this Guidelines for Tracking Clinical Hours , you will know what I am talking about....

Well yes, assessment and intervention hours are both "face-to-face" time; they're just counted separately by APPIC.

I just skimmed the documents, but I don't see mention of counting supervision of other students as intervention hours. Is there a particular section where it's stated?

Well yes, assessment and intervention hours are both "face-to-face" time; they're just counted separately by APPIC.

I just skimmed the documents, but I don't see mention of counting supervision of other students as intervention hours. Is there a particular section where it's stated?

AcronymAllergy, you may find it here:
http://aecp.oise.utoronto.ca/cp/practicum/documents2/documents2/APPIC%20Form-Tracking%20Hours-Summary%20of%20Practicum%20Experiences10.pdf

=>"supervision of other students" => 1. Intervention Experience=>Other Psychological Experience with Students and/or Organizations

Also here (Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH website) http://www.bgsu.edu/downloads/cas/file59629.pdf

"INTERVENTION HOURS" include ""OTHER" HOURS. ""OTHER" HOURS" include include "Supervision of other (less experienced) students performing intervention and assessment activities, Program Development/Outreach Programming, Outcome Assessment of programs or projects, Systems Intervention/Organizational Consultation/Performance
Improvement."

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses regarding applying while not currently enrolled in practicum. It's good to know that others have done this successfully. I have a feeling applicants will be doing this more frequently as the match gets worse and it's good to know that it should not put these applicants out of the running. I'm going into my 5th year of my doc program post MA after not matching this year and cannot afford to keep enrolling. At this point we should be getting paid to do clinical work, not vice versa. In my program we are required to enroll in dissertation from the moment we start working on it until it's successfully defended and this is a huge financial burden when you have to pay to wait for IRB approval for several semesters and to work on it without even using university resources. Although we receive funding we have to pay tuition which requires taking out loans because the stipend is not enough to live off of. And this is an accredited PhD clinical program!

Hello Everyone,

I heard that having a lot of total practicum hours (over 2000 to 3000) is viewed poorly by training directors. Have you guys heard this information? I'm wondering if this is outdated information with the influx of psychology students and lack of internship sites. Many students are reapplying and accruing more practicum hours.

Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I heard that having a lot of total practicum hours (over 2000 to 3000) is viewed poorly by training directors. Have you guys heard this information? I'm wondering if this is outdated information with the influx of psychology students and lack of internship sites. Many students are reapplying and accruing more practicum hours.

Thanks.

Myth....the more hours your have is equivalent to additional training. Most programs have three years of practicum where you may acquire more than 2000 hours. Our DCT encourages us to get as many hours as he claims it correlates with Match for APPIC internships. Only two of the students in our class did not match this year, and most of us have three-years or practicum with 1900 to 2000 hours.

One caveat may be the quality of your program as some APA accredited programs are structured over four years where students have two years of practicum, but the students they accept are top quality students, so practicum hours may not have as much of an impact on APA Match rate.

Last edited: