2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This citation was posted to a NP student listserv I frequent...and I thought some people may find it helpful:

Mittenberg, W., Petersen, R., Cooper, J., Strauman, S., & Essig, S. (2000). Selection criteria for clinical neuropsychology internships. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 14(1), 1-6.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was on an internship faculty, grades played little to no role in our acceptance decision making. If your DCT/department let you apply , we'd assume that you demonstrated an appropriate level of scholarship within your courses (assuming, of course, you were from a reputable and applicable program). Grades in graduate school are basically pass/fail anyways, with a B being about as meaningful as an A. I always felt that being able to prioritize and "do what you need to do to get done what you need to get done- never less, and only occasionally more"- is an incredibly valuable skill. A GPA of 3.0 with a completed defended diss. is much better than a GPA of 3.8 with only a proposed diss. I honestly can't remember a situation where there was someone who dropped down in ranking because of a few low grades. I don't think most of us even gave more than just a cursory look at the transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there last year. One of the first things they did was have all of us applicants go into a room and they gave us 15 mins to read a vignette and write what we were considering for diagnoses, defend the diagnoses, and come up with a treatment plan. In my first interview, the psychologist felt I overpathologized in my vignette (and maybe I did because I stated I was considering diagnoses of borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder, but hey, that is what you see in a state hospital). She also whipped out a copy of the sample report I included in my application and asked me to defend my conclusions and diagnoses.

Definitely anxiety provoking. I'm sending positive thoughts your way so you will rock your interview! ;)

Hello Bella, I am interviewing there next week. So anxious it is my top choice, thank you so much for your input :)

Just received a personalized interview invite via email from Northeast Florida State Hospital. Two interview dates listed: January 9th and January 23rd. Good luck everyone!

Hello Lauren, I am interviewing at Northeast fl state hospital next week, any input? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks :)