2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This citation was posted to a NP student listserv I frequent...and I thought some people may find it helpful:

Mittenberg, W., Petersen, R., Cooper, J., Strauman, S., & Essig, S. (2000). Selection criteria for clinical neuropsychology internships. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 14(1), 1-6.
 
When I was on an internship faculty, grades played little to no role in our acceptance decision making. If your DCT/department let you apply , we'd assume that you demonstrated an appropriate level of scholarship within your courses (assuming, of course, you were from a reputable and applicable program). Grades in graduate school are basically pass/fail anyways, with a B being about as meaningful as an A. I always felt that being able to prioritize and "do what you need to do to get done what you need to get done- never less, and only occasionally more"- is an incredibly valuable skill. A GPA of 3.0 with a completed defended diss. is much better than a GPA of 3.8 with only a proposed diss. I honestly can't remember a situation where there was someone who dropped down in ranking because of a few low grades. I don't think most of us even gave more than just a cursory look at the transcripts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed there last year. One of the first things they did was have all of us applicants go into a room and they gave us 15 mins to read a vignette and write what we were considering for diagnoses, defend the diagnoses, and come up with a treatment plan. In my first interview, the psychologist felt I overpathologized in my vignette (and maybe I did because I stated I was considering diagnoses of borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder, but hey, that is what you see in a state hospital). She also whipped out a copy of the sample report I included in my application and asked me to defend my conclusions and diagnoses.

Definitely anxiety provoking. I'm sending positive thoughts your way so you will rock your interview! 😉


Hello Bella, I am interviewing there next week. So anxious it is my top choice, thank you so much for your input 🙂
 
Just received a personalized interview invite via email from Northeast Florida State Hospital. Two interview dates listed: January 9th and January 23rd. Good luck everyone!

Hello Lauren, I am interviewing at Northeast fl state hospital next week, any input? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks 🙂