-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread
Started by PerhapsMaybeOk
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was wondering what are people's theoretical orientation for those who are applying to internship this year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure if this means they are done sending invites, but I received an e-mail from the Administrative Coordinator this afternoon addressing the e-mail to "all CBT Track candidates who have been asked to interview here at Massachusetts General Hospital on either Friday, January 6 or Friday, January 13" suggesting a hotel near the site.I realize that nobody knows 100% one way or the other, but what is the general consensus if you haven't heard either way from the Harvard/MGH CBT track?
Still a chance or not?
Has anyone heard from either:
Palo Alto VA
VA Northern California Health System
??
Palo Alto VA
VA Northern California Health System
??
I was wondering what are people's theoretical orientation for those who are applying to internship this year?
Merging with the 2012 APPIC thread.
I was wondering what are people's theoretical orientation for those who are applying to internship this year?
bronfenbrenner's bioecological model and CBT
Person-Centered, Bio-Psycho-Social, Cognitive-BehavioralI was wondering what are people's theoretical orientation for those who are applying to internship this year?
My orientation is Systems/Ecological & CBT primarily, and I use tools of rational emotive therapy.
Received a confirmation email from Illinois State university this morning - COME ON! At this point when I see an email from a site I expect it to be a rejection or invite, not a confirmation of a my application that I sent in a month ago!

Received a confirmation email from Illinois State university this morning - COME ON! At this point when I see an email from a site I expect it to be a rejection or invite, not a confirmation of a my application that I sent in a month ago!![]()
Oh, lord, that is brutal, man.
Good morning fellow-obsessive-compulsive-clickers.
A new morning of annoying silence has dawned. Yes, I am sitting here needing to accomplish some important tasks. What are the odds of me actually being productive today?
(spoiler - slim to none)
A new morning of annoying silence has dawned. Yes, I am sitting here needing to accomplish some important tasks. What are the odds of me actually being productive today?
(spoiler - slim to none)
Anyone hear from, or know anyone who has heard from, Friends Hospital in Philly? Seems they at least sent out rejections by this time last year....... 😎
My colleague and I both applied here and haven't heard anything either way! Looks like they're a bit behind this year... fingers crossed!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good morning fellow-obsessive-compulsive-clickers.
A new morning of annoying silence has dawned. Yes, I am sitting here needing to accomplish some important tasks. What are the odds of me actually being productive today?
(spoiler - slim to none)
Does keeping your laptop open to the report the you're supposed to be writing while you watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills count as being productive?
Does keeping your laptop open to the report the you're supposed to be writing while you watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills count as being productive?
Absolutely. Taylor has some serious issues going on.. its a good clinical experience to watch. 😀
Can anyone recommend an affordable hotel (preferably with an airport shuttle) close to the Children's Hospitals and Clinics in Minneapolis? Thank you in advance and good luck to all!
Absolutely. Taylor has some serious issues going on.. its a good clinical experience to watch. 😀
I really appreciate everyone attempting to maintain a sense of a humor, it really helps to get through this insanity!
😛Does keeping your laptop open to the report the you're supposed to be writing while you watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills count as being productive?
umm ABSOLUTELY!! 😉
Somebody earlier was questioning whether other tracks besides neuro had invites that went out yesterday, I know for sure that the health psych track e-mail invites were also sent 12/5.
umm ABSOLUTELY!! 😉
Hell ya. I was not aware that you can be more productive than that.
Personally, I woke up today fully intending to do much needed school work and did not even brush my teeth yet. Also, I am slowly dehydrating cause too lazy to get up and get food/drinks.
Thank god for pseudo names. If sites were reading here they would cross me off on account that I am not at all an appealing candidate for cleaning a public bathroom let alone be an intern.
My colleague and I both applied here and haven't heard anything either way! Looks like they're a bit behind this year... fingers crossed!![]()
Neither has my husband
What are people doing when they are getting overlapping interviews? I have an interview on the 6th and the 20th. I just got an interview which also gave me those 2 dates for an interview. Do you think it is ok if i e-mail the director from the 6th and ask if i can change to another date?
Rejected by email today: Lexington VA, Hefner VA, Pine Grove
Interview request from Brooke Army Medical Center on 11/18, interview on 12/8.
All the Air Force sites have open houses and interview everyone - I'm going to all of them.
Eisenhower Army Medical Center had an open house on 11/4, went to that. Interviewed Army Walter Reed on 11/10.
The Navy sends you to one of their two sites for an interview, looks like I"m going somewhere between Jan 4-6 to Bethesda.
I didn't know you could apply for more than one branch. How did you handle MEPS? You have to indicate which branch you're applying to when you go.
What are people doing when they are getting overlapping interviews? I have an interview on the 6th and the 20th. I just got an interview which also gave me those 2 dates for an interview. Do you think it is ok if i e-mail the director from the 6th and ask if i can change to another date?
Congrats on the interviews! I had a similar issue, but was unable to change the dates after emailing the programs. So for the new program I am doing a phone interview, which isn't the best option but better than nothing I suppose. Hopefully they can work with you though.
What are people doing when they are getting overlapping interviews? I have an interview on the 6th and the 20th. I just got an interview which also gave me those 2 dates for an interview. Do you think it is ok if i e-mail the director from the 6th and ask if i can change to another date?
If you already confirmed interviews for the 6th and 20th, I would lean towards asking the site that just offered you an interview if you could come on an alternative date (unless they clearly state that no other dates are possible, in which case move the interview you least prefer IMO). Might just be me, but I really don't like moving an interview that I've already confirmed. Last year when I went thru the process, I did have to ask two sites if I could come on a different day, but that's b/c they both offered me an interview on the same date as my #1 choice and my #1 clearly stated that no other dates were possible. Personally, I'd try to stick with what you've already confirmed and move around interviews that you have not confirmed yet.
EDIT: Similar to neuronic, yes, some sites will not be flexible about offering other interview dates. If they don't explicitly state that no other dates are possible, I'd say it's safe to at least ask and go from there. One of my sites last year was exceedingly flexible about offering an alternative face to face interview date that worked for me and then the TD apologized to me when I got there, saying he was sorry their date hadn't worked for me and he was happy that I could come out when I did. I wouldn't say that that level of flexibility is the norm, but it does exist with some sites 😉
Last edited:
What are people doing when they are getting overlapping interviews? I have an interview on the 6th and the 20th. I just got an interview which also gave me those 2 dates for an interview. Do you think it is ok if i e-mail the director from the 6th and ask if i can change to another date?
I actually got two calls yesterday for the same date. I had scheduled the first one for Wed the11th and this site offered interviews all week. The second site that called only offered the 11th so I called the first site right back and moved it to Thursday the 12th. The TD was super nice about it and said that things like this happen. I didn't want to have to do it but at the same time, they know what we're going through and we're not superhuman here. If they don't understand that we are going to have conflicts and do our best to work around them while still putting in the effort fly to their site and interview, then I really don't want to be interning there anyway.
Has anyone heard from either:
Palo Alto VA
VA Northern California Health System
??
I'm waiting on Palo Alto as well. Applied to the general track requesting the PTSD rotations.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Email rejection from Children's Hospital Boston. Ehhh first rejection...but it wasn't the best fit for me anyway. Addressed to "Dear applicant".
Got one too 🙁
I didn't know you could apply for more than one branch. How did you handle MEPS? You have to indicate which branch you're applying to when you go.
Every year interns apply for more than one branch. The process for going officer via a medical field, which includes psychology in the military, is very different than most other fields. If you talked to a regular recruiter you more than likely talked to someone who knows nothing about recruiting for the medical MOSs. If you are looking to get into the military through a psychology internship, you have to specifically talk to a medical recruiter. They are well aware of the match processes for the medical fields and the fact that many applicants are interested in more than one branch.
Uggggh, I don't know why sites are so quiet this week. I haven't heard anything since last week... good OR bad. So frustrating. Every other stupid email I get about checking my credit score I just want to rage and scream at the computer. Sooo not normal... I'm not typically a rage-aholic, lol, but this process is totally bringing out the worst in me. 😛 My first interview is less than a week from now, so that stress doesn't help either... bleh!
Every year interns apply for more than one branch. The process for going officer via a medical field, which includes psychology in the military, is very different than most other fields. If you talked to a regular recruiter you more than likely talked to someone who knows nothing about recruiting for the medical MOSs. If you are looking to get into the military through a psychology internship, you have to specifically talk to a medical recruiter. They are well aware of the match processes for the medical fields and the fact that many applicants are interested in more than one branch.
I realize this and am actively applying to the AF, and I have gone through MEPS, etc. I was just curious how this works with MEPS since you have to indicate the one branch you're applying to when you go (i.e. 3 separate trips to MEPS?). It's not that important since I only would want the AF, just curious.
Got one too 🙁
Has children's hospital Boston sent out offers? I haven't heard anything either way and am not sure how to interpret that.
Would anyone who has already been through the interview process be willing to share:
Some typical questions asked? Maybe the standard questions you got from most sites, or a couple stand out (read: crazy) questions you got?
I'm also having trouble formulating some thoughtful, but not generic, questions to ask of sites. Suggestions?
Some typical questions asked? Maybe the standard questions you got from most sites, or a couple stand out (read: crazy) questions you got?
I'm also having trouble formulating some thoughtful, but not generic, questions to ask of sites. Suggestions?
Also - a colleague got invites to Connecticut Valley as well as University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ last night/today.
Was the interview invite from the UMDNJ in Newark? Mass email?Also - a colleague got invites to Connecticut Valley as well as University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ last night/today.
I haven't heard anything either! I emailed yesterday as they say to contact them this week. It seems others have heard both ways but for me not yet, and not sure what to make of it either!Has children's hospital Boston sent out offers? I haven't heard anything either way and am not sure how to interpret that.
Can anyone recommend an affordable hotel (preferably with an airport shuttle) close to the Children's Hospitals and Clinics in Minneapolis? Thank you in advance and good luck to all!
I'm heading out the door at the moment but I'm doing my data collection in Minneapolis so I have tons of experience with hotels there! lol When I get back home later today I'll send you a PM.
7 rejections (35%)
1 interview (5%)
12 sites left (60%) [including 3 sites that others have already gotten interviews from]
All 6 sites that I applied to both years and have heard from, thus far, have sent out the same emails with updated numbers. The first time I thought they were touching, compassionate messages. This year, I'm really annoyed that sites can't come up with something *honest* and new (yeah, it's nice to read that it was just due to so many qualified applicants who would make excellent psychologists but that's not *really* why I didn't make the cut two years in a row). It's a couple paragraphs at most! Grrrrr...
For the sites that I'm waiting for, I heard from 6 of them between the 10th and the 15th last year (with rejections). But there are still a bunch of sites (6) that I didn't apply to last year and haven't heard from this year...
If I just get the one interview at the site that interviews 3/5 applicants and accepts 3/50 interviewees, is it worth it (i.e., the stress and the time) to go through with the interview and match process or should I just drop out of my program and save the $1500 in tuition and $150 match/travel costs? Obviously, I'll make my own decision but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this potential situation.
1 interview (5%)
12 sites left (60%) [including 3 sites that others have already gotten interviews from]
All 6 sites that I applied to both years and have heard from, thus far, have sent out the same emails with updated numbers. The first time I thought they were touching, compassionate messages. This year, I'm really annoyed that sites can't come up with something *honest* and new (yeah, it's nice to read that it was just due to so many qualified applicants who would make excellent psychologists but that's not *really* why I didn't make the cut two years in a row). It's a couple paragraphs at most! Grrrrr...
For the sites that I'm waiting for, I heard from 6 of them between the 10th and the 15th last year (with rejections). But there are still a bunch of sites (6) that I didn't apply to last year and haven't heard from this year...
If I just get the one interview at the site that interviews 3/5 applicants and accepts 3/50 interviewees, is it worth it (i.e., the stress and the time) to go through with the interview and match process or should I just drop out of my program and save the $1500 in tuition and $150 match/travel costs? Obviously, I'll make my own decision but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this potential situation.
...
Last edited:
I realize this and am actively applying to the AF, and I have gone through MEPS, etc. I was just curious how this works with MEPS since you have to indicate the one branch you're applying to when you go (i.e. 3 separate trips to MEPS?). It's not that important since I only would want the AF, just curious.
I didn't even go through MEPS when I applied for the Navy last year, they just scheduled me for a physical at a Navy facility so I'm not sure. Ask your recruiter : )
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was the interview invite from the UMDNJ in Newark? Mass email?
I'm not sure to be honest. I believe so - but let me double check and get back to you.
Thanks!I'm not sure to be honest. I believe so - but let me double check and get back to you.
7 rejections (35%)
1 interview (5%)
12 sites left (60%) [including 3 sites that others have already gotten interviews from]
All 6 sites that I applied to both years and have heard from, thus far, have sent out the same emails with updated numbers. The first time I thought they were touching, compassionate messages. This year, I'm really annoyed that sites can't come up with something *honest* and new (yeah, it's nice to read that it was just due to so many qualified applicants who would make excellent psychologists but that's not *really* why I didn't make the cut two years in a row). It's a couple paragraphs at most! Grrrrr...
For the sites that I'm waiting for, I heard from 6 of them between the 10th and the 15th last year (with rejections). But there are still a bunch of sites (6) that I didn't apply to last year and haven't heard from this year...
If I just get the one interview at the site that interviews 3/5 applicants and accepts 3/50 interviewees, is it worth it (i.e., the stress and the time) to go through with the interview and match process or should I just drop out of my program and save the $1500 in tuition and $150 match/travel costs? Obviously, I'll make my own decision but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this potential situation.
You'll hear others encourage you to give it a shot, but to he honest, I would just try again next year. I have a friend who was in that situation last year, didnt end up matching and, in hindsight, has said he really wishes he had just saved time/money and tried next time. You could try in phase 2 as well, no? Keep your head up, though, not even half of your sites are left. I know its hard to wait :/
That would be fantastic, I really appreciate it! Thank you and good luck with your data collection!
I'm heading out the door at the moment but I'm doing my data collection in Minneapolis so I have tons of experience with hotels there! lol When I get back home later today I'll send you a PM.
That would be fantastic, I really appreciate it! Thank you and good luck with your data collection!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 179
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 9K