2012 Need Help Retaking CPSE Exam!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfpsyd1970

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PsyD/PhD Colleagues,

In July 2012, I missed passing the CPSE by 1 question (82 needed 83)! It was my second attempt. The first time I missed by 2 questions! Needless to say, both experiences were shocking, embarrassing, and extremely disappointing.

When I started the CPSE journey, I thought I would easily get passed it. After all, the CPSE had a much higher pass rate then the EPPP and I scored over 80+%. I have a straight A academic history and do well professionally working at a major hospital so I felt confident about my abilities. My CPSE preparation was very thorough. The first time I took the exam, I used current AATBS only and studied around 3 months. The second time, I used both current PsychPrep and AATBS materials and studied 3 months plus had consultation help from AATBS.

The thought of taking it a 3rd time is daunting and overwhelming because I'm not sure what I can do to improve my odds. I have until mid Jan 2013. Gulp!!! I'm considering study groups with others in my same situation who have recently not passed could be the most helpful.

Any thoughts are well appreciated. Thank you in advance.

SFPsyD1970

Members don't see this ad.

PsyD/PhD Colleagues,

In July 2012, I missed passing the CPSE by 1 question (82 needed 83)! It was my second attempt. The first time I missed by 2 questions! Needless to say, both experiences were shocking, embarrassing, and extremely disappointing.

When I started the CPSE journey, I thought I would easily get passed it. After all, the CPSE had a much higher pass rate then the EPPP and I scored over 80+%. I have a straight A academic history and do well professionally working at a major hospital so I felt confident about my abilities. My CPSE preparation was very thorough. The first time I took the exam, I used current AATBS only and studied around 3 months. The second time, I used both current PsychPrep and AATBS materials and studied 3 months plus had consultation help from AATBS.

The thought of taking it a 3rd time is daunting and overwhelming because I'm not sure what I can do to improve my odds. I have until mid Jan 2013. Gulp!!! I'm considering study groups with others in my same situation who have recently not passed could be the most helpful.

Any thoughts are well appreciated. Thank you in advance.

SFPsyD1970

Different study approaches work differently for different people. I passed the EPPP with flying colors but, like you, I had trouble on the second exam (which used to be the Jurisprudence Exam).

What worked for me is just generating huge stacks of flashcards by going through the material line by line, and then drilling myself on the flashcards during my spare time. Better than any other study approach, this worked for me.

JeyRo,

Thank you for the response. I also used flash cards for the exam. I know the material like the back of my hand.

Onward.