2012 Official Decision Thread (Class of...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. I'm sorry. That sounds really inappropriate of the POI to share with you- it's your decision, and a very large life change and commitment. I hope you feel able to take the time to make a decision that's right for you!

Yeah! One of my POIs expressed their concern of losing an alternate if I take too long and do not accept the offer! Yikes...

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbdown:

I am feeling some pressure as well, though no one has prodded that explicitly.

I've heard from who I wanted to, and now my decisions need some making. To prepare, I brought home a bottle of Borsao Garnacha, a bigass burrito, and a choco taco. I will slowly consume these to my face while playing a mind-numbing marathon of counterstrike with adolescent boys (who will undoubtedly call me fat and ugly for pwning them) till about 3:30am, at which point my law school roommate will predictably drag me out to a seedy bar to catch last call.

Only then will I be ready. Commencing now...

Hahahaha! :laugh: This sounds a lot more productive than my obsessive back-and-forth about the programs.

Wow. I'm sorry. That sounds really inappropriate of the POI to share with you- it's your decision, and a very large life change and commitment. I hope you feel able to take the time to make a decision that's right for you!

Remember that this is a snapshot of what it might be like to work with this POI...violating boundaries and thinking only of her own interests. Red flag!

Dr. E

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that this is a snapshot of what it might be like to work with this POI...violating boundaries and thinking only of her own interests. Red flag!

Dr. E

I never thought of it that way and perhaps I should. Thanks for the insight!

I have question:

If I have an official offer from one school (an offer made in writing) and an offer made over the phone from a program that I plan to accept, would it be inappropriate to email the DCT or my POI for them to send me something in writing (an email or anything) so that I may officially accept and thereby decline the other offer in order to give the other school some relief as well as the high alternate who is eagerly waiting for good news? I know the graduate programs always send official letters, but my POIs are eager and I refuse to accept any offer without something in writing.

I have question:

If I have an official offer from one school (an offer made in writing) and an offer made over the phone from a program that I plan to accept, would it be inappropriate to email the DCT or my POI for them to send me something in writing (an email or anything) so that I may officially accept and thereby decline the other offer in order to give the other school some relief as well as the high alternate who is eagerly waiting for good news? I know the graduate programs always send official letters, but my POIs are eager and I refuse to accept any offer without something in writing.

I had the same situation a few weeks back. Had a verbal acceptance from my POI over the phone the day after the interview, but had to wait over a week for the offer in writing. I drafted many possible emails of this kind both to my POI and the DCT at the school I will be heading to in the fall, but in the end didn't send them.

I worried that it would seem like I didn't "trust their word", or something of that sort, or that if I mentioned another acceptance it might seem like a threat in some way? I don't know, I'm sure it would be fine if you are saying "I want to be able to say yes officially and say no somewhere else", but I was concerned (for myself) that it might come across differently, and I didn't want to start out on the wrong foot with my POI or the DCT.

I don't know, just my two cents. Also, was told by one of my mentors in my masters program that at this point, going out of your way to be nice (letting the other program know ASAP) is nice, but that everyone understands the pressure we are under at this point and will be grateful for notification at any point before April 15th. She also said that waiting an extra few days might in a way be nicer, because it seems like you actually gave it some consideration, even if you never intended to accept, which totally hadn't occurred to me :laugh:

The moral of this, though, is that I did get my offer in writing after a week of agonizing waiting, and so will you! Hang in there, and good luck with whatever you decide!

I worried that it would seem like I didn't "trust their word", or something of that sort, or that if I mentioned another acceptance it might seem like a threat in some way? I don't know, I'm sure it would be fine if you are saying "I want to be able to say yes officially and say no somewhere else", but I was concerned (for myself) that it might come across differently, and I didn't want to start out on the wrong foot with my POI or the DCT.

I agree with your perspective. I have one acceptance and I'm high on the waitlist at another--two fairly equal choices. I want to have the ability to decide if/when I get accepted to the second, but I also am seriously and obviously considering the one acceptance I have. So, I haven't said anything about this to the place I've been accepted, especially since I still don't have an official letter of acceptance. I'm trying to emphasize my continued interest while staying low-key, but I think it makes sense because I wouldn't accept anyway until I had that official letter.

If I end up with two acceptances, I will still wait until I have everything in writing before releasing the unwanted one--but, of course, as someone on the waitlist myself, I understand everyone's desire to release the unwanted spot as soon as possible!!

University of Alabama Birmingham - Medical Clinical Psychology PhD class of 2017!

Ryerson University - Clinical Psychology PhD class of 2017! Woot Woot!
(Canadian school)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just sent in my deposit.

Yeshiva Clinical PsyD Track. Class of '...well, entering class of 2012.

You too! Can't wait to get to Indy for good!

Colorado State Counseling PhD. I can't wait to get started! (But I'm spending my summer relaxing and having fun first!!!)

Where I got my B.S.! PM me if you have any questions and congrats!

I'm headed to San Diego for the Joint Doctoral Program at SDSU & UCSD.

Couldn't be happier about it! Feeling very fortunate.

Yay!!! Awesome choice! Congrats! :cool:

Same here. See you in the fall!

DU was my first choice so I'll be joining you. Such excitement! I hope they start a Facebook page for our incoming cohort (I think Julie mentioned it), I'm anxious to see what it's going to look like.

Congrats beehive I know you were weighing another offer as well do you mind sharing where? You can PM me if you like.

Omg. HELP ME. I can't decide :(
Oh Harlequin, you're not alone. I'm in disbelief about how hard this decision-making process is, and it's seriously sucking the life out of me. Doesn't it feel 100x harder than the actual interview process? Just when we thought it was all over...

I would love to eat a choco taco, now that you mention it. Maybe not so much the Counterstrike part (try for Battlefield or something!). :D

Oh Harlequin, you're not alone. I'm in disbelief about how hard this decision-making process is, and it's seriously sucking the life out of me. Doesn't it feel 100x harder than the actual interview process? Just when we thought it was all over...

I would love to eat a choco taco, now that you mention it. Maybe not so much the Counterstrike part (try for Battlefield or something!). :D

If the decision is so difficult, that's probably a good thing because you're deciding between two great life trajectories. In that case, you can't really go wrong, right?

SUNY Albany
Counseling Psychology PhD
Class of 2016-18 (it depends . . .)

Anyone future cohort members who are lurking on these forums but haven't posted feel free to PM me!!

University of Ottawa (Canada): PhD in Clinical Psychology, fully-funded.

If anyone else is going to uOttawa next year, PM me! I'd like to meet my cohort :)

University of Virginia (Graduate School of Arts and Sciences)
Clinical Psychology Ph.D

If the decision is so difficult, that's probably a good thing because you're deciding between two great life trajectories. In that case, you can't really go wrong, right?

I feel your pain completely. I'm having an extremely tough time deciding between two school psych programs... UW Madison and UC Santa Barbara. :confused: I'm a California native so the thought of moving to Wisconsin terrifies me, but it has amazing research opportunities and a great reputation. However, UCSB is unique due to its combined nature (clinical/counseling/school) and is a strong program in its own right. Both offered me equal funding.

I am going absolutely crazy. :scared:

I feel your pain completely. I'm having an extremely tough time deciding between two school psych programs... UW Madison and UC Santa Barbara. :confused: I'm a California native so the thought of moving to Wisconsin terrifies me, but it has amazing research opportunities and a great reputation. However, UCSB is unique due to its combined nature (clinical/counseling/school) and is a strong program in its own right. Both offered me equal funding.

Equal funding? The number might be the same, but no way is a dollar in Santa Barbara equal to a dollar in Wisconsin. Regardless, good luck with your decision!

I've accepted the offer at Clark University's Clinical Psych PhD program. I haven't really seen anyone else mention much about Clark, but I know there were 6-7 people accepted. Anyone else for Clark?

Equal funding? The number might be the same, but no way is a dollar in Santa Barbara equal to a dollar in Wisconsin. Regardless, good luck with your decision!

I didn't want to be 100% specific about exactly what funding each offered, but I did control for cost of living. Both offering 2 year fellowship monies, 2 year departmental funding (TAship and/or GSRship) for their 5 year programs. Madison offering lower stipend since cost of living is less, Santa Barbara offering more since cost of living is more. In any case, I am much less concerned about the cost of living than the issues of A) Isolating myself in the midwest from my family and friends and experiencing the coldest temperatures I ever have in my life or B) Passing up attending a program that has a great name in the field. Both have good research matches for me.

Also, I still need to finish Mass Effect 2 so I can move onto ME3... And Skyrim has been ignored lately. :)

I am much less concerned about the cost of living than the issues of A) Isolating myself in the midwest from my family and friends and experiencing the coldest temperatures I ever have in my life

The cold and gray of the midwest is awful. But you won't meet nicer people anywhere!!

The cold and gray of the midwest is awful. But you won't meet nicer people anywhere!!

As a native Midwesterner, I won't defend the weather - it really can be awful. BUT, like Psychadelic says you won't meet nicer people anywhere (definitely not in New England :))

Also, Big 10 > Pac10 :D

One choice is offering a little bit more funding than the other AND is in a place where the dollar will go further. I am in love with the other school, but dislike the idea of teaching courses which looks like something that's not unusual there.

Good to know I'm not the only one facing a difficult decision. This process is tough!

Go with the program you love, no question. Grad school is a huge commitment, you'll be happier in the long run!

I lived in the Midwest for my undergrad (coming from CA, too!). It was awful. For me, and something to consider, is the amount that I will like my day-to-day outside of school. Having to trudge through snow and slush and ice to/from class was not worth a degree that I could have gotten elsewhere. In a Ph.D. program, most things appearing equal with UCSB and UW-Madison, I would strongly encourage you to remember that this is a BIG chunk of your life you are committing to. I am debating similar options for myself with programs, and my life quality is something that is weighing heavily - I will likely choose the program in CA (my other is in NY).

Good luck with your decision!

Madison is AWESOME. Everyone I know who has lived there loved it and some want to move back someday. And Wisconsin gets cold, but it's not that bad. I'm currently in a place where I long for Wisconsin's mild winters...

University of Utah
Clinical PhD
Class of 2017/18

So excited!! :D

PM me if you will be in my cohort!

University of Colorado, Boulder
Clinical Psychology PhD
Class 2017/12018/?

First choice. I could not be happier!

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and final decisions! For those of you still on the fence, wishing you plenty of clarity as we approach April 15th.

I am writing to see if anyone has had the experience of discussing the option of deferring their acceptance with their prospective programs? I have been accepted to two PsyD programs (wahoot!), and wondering whether or not this is something that clinical programs are generally open to (as long as I make my case for why I need more time). I'm sure the option depends on the policy of the particular program, but imagine that there is some general sense of how receptive PsyD programs are to requests like these. And if deffering is not an option, is it likely that I would to go through a similar application process if I were to apply the following year? These are most likely questions that I will have to have with the two programs I am looking at, but was hoping to get some insights from those that have ventured before me. Thanks so much!

University of Utah
Clinical Neuropsychology PhD
Class of something something.

:luck:

Congratulations on reaching a decision! It must feel nice (and awesome for those on the waitlist for the program(s) you're turning down). Best of luck! :)

As an individual who is on 4 wait-lists, I love all you people making your decisions! =D

Congratulations on reaching a decision! It must feel nice (and awesome for those on the waitlist for the program(s) you're turning down). Best of luck! :)

University of Utah
Clinical Neuropsychology PhD
Class of something something.

:luck:
That's amazing - so glad you finally reached clarity (probably all that CS, huh?).

Congratulations on a great school!

I'm accepting my offer for the Clinical PsyD at La Salle :)