2012 Official Decision Thread (Class of...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Try to keep yourself from ranking schools before you even apply! This is completely my personal opinion and I'm sure people think differently but I think ranking schools right away just sets yourself up for disappointment. If you rank George Mason as your first choice before applying and don't even get an interview, you're already out your first choice (and believe me, this sucks).

This whole process is already so difficult, I tried to think of multiple ways to keep myself sane. This included not ranking programs until I had visited/received offers. Also, rankings change during interview season. You may love George Mason but go there and realize it's not for you. Or you go to a school at the bottom of your list and love the program. Then you have to reorder everything.

This is just one thing I did during my interview season and I think it really helped me keep an open mind about all the schools I visited. I know everyone will have school preferences but this is just my opinion. Good luck choosing schools!

I second this opinion. When applying, I made a point of narrowing down 12 school psych programs that generally seemed successful/high quality, then applied to 7 of them. While I definitely felt more inclined toward about 5 of them, I didn't really pit any against each other UNTIL I got interviews and then acceptances. And, often times you find the program you thought you would like best is actually disappointing, and another program you weren't sure about is much more exciting than you realized.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my deposit today for the Psy.D. program at La Salle :) I'm so excited for fall 2012!!!! If anyone else decides to attend La Salle in the fall, feel free to PM me!

I officially accepted my admissions offer for University of denver Psyd this morning! :D:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All!

So I have already been accepted to Roosevelt PsyD in Chicago and just found out today that I am wait listed for Yeshiva PsyD in NYC :(. Even though there is still a large chance I won't get into Yeshiva all together, I feel like I need to decide which school I would chose if I get accepted so that I can make a quick choice.

Any thoughts about Roosevelt vs. Yeshiva? Reputations in the field?

I am so so torn!

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations! You all deserve a huge pat on the back!! :thumbup:

EverHopeful-
I am currently looking at schools. I will be applying in December and am very scared and doubtful about the process ( as I am sure most of you can relate). I am wondering what made George Mason your first choice? After making my excel sheet of programs it is looking like a wonderful program, but I have not started ranking them. How did you go about determining that GM is your number one choice?

Thank you kindly.

Good question. I knew going in that George Mason was one of my top choices since the POI works extensively with my current lab. I was very familiar with his research and that of his grad students. Before interviewing though, I had probably 4 top choice schools that frequently shifted in position depending on the day. It was after interviewing that I really knew GMU was my first choice.
I am very research focused and my long-term goals are in academia. With this in mind, I used interviews to really try and figure out which POI and program will be the most helpful in getting me towards my goals. After interviewing, I knew GMU would be this place. The program itself really focused on research and the POI even more so. His lab offered plenty of support for publishing, submitting grants and really focusing on the topics of research I am passionate about.
I think it is fine to have a few programs/POIs you are excited about and you think are optimal matches, but everyone else is also right that interviews can (and probably will) change everything. Instead of focusing on figuring out what your top choice schools are, I would suggest taking the upcoming months to really figure out what it is you are even looking for in a program and what career you are hoping to be set up for. After you have that figured out, making choices between schools gets a lot easier.

Georgia State University - Clinical PhD

I'd love to hear from others in my cohort!

Officially attending Wichita State University's Clinical Psychology PhD program this fall. Super excited!

Very excited to say I will be attending Boston University-Clinical Psychology PhD program. If anyone is from the area, it would be great to hear from you! (About moving there, finding an apartment, things to do, and anything else you think may be useful/good to know).

Thanks!!!

I just found out I was wait listed at PGSP-Stanford and I'm really bummed because it's definitely my top choice. The e-mail said their wait list is short but not linear, and they take people as they would fit into the program. Is anyone else wait listed there or planning on attending? If I don't get in I will be deciding between the Wright Institute and University of La Verne. Any feedback or opinions on these schools is appreciated!

I just found out I was wait listed at PGSP-Stanford and I'm really bummed because it's definitely my top choice. The e-mail said their wait list is short but not linear, and they take people as they would fit into the program. Is anyone else wait listed there or planning on attending? If I don't get in I will be deciding between the Wright Institute and University of La Verne. Any feedback or opinions on these schools is appreciated!
I was accepted at PGSP-Stanford (I'm going there in the fall) and the Wright. I liked the Wright -- very engaging faculty, nice setting, good structure for small-group learning via the "case conference." On the minus side, I was really perplexed by the head of the institute -- he read off a piece of paper during his presentation that was pulled straight from the website. Any org's tone is set at the top, so that struck me as a warning sign. I also got the impression (backed up on SDN) that the faculty do not conduct much, if any, original research, and as I want more exposure to/participation in the research process, PGSP-Stanford was a much better fit. I hope that you will get what you want!

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted my offer to the University of Maryland - Baltimore County PhD Clinical Psychology program! Very excited!

Last edited:
It feels really great to post here!

VCU Counseling Psychology PhD!

Anyone else?

Bowling Green State University
Clinical Psychology PhD

Feel free to PM me if you are in my cohort!

I officially accepted my offer to La Salle's Psy.D. program for Fall 2012!

I was accepted at PGSP-Stanford (I'm going there in the fall) and the Wright. I liked the Wright -- very engaging faculty, nice setting, good structure for small-group learning via the "case conference." On the minus side, I was really perplexed by the head of the institute -- he read off a piece of paper during his presentation that was pulled straight from the website. Any org's tone is set at the top, so that struck me as a warning sign. I also got the impression (backed up on SDN) that the faculty do not conduct much, if any, original research, and as I want more exposure to/participation in the research process, PGSP-Stanford was a much better fit. I hope that you will get what you want!
Thanks so much! I got an e-mail saying I have a good chance of getting off the wait list, so hopefully I will be joining you this fall :) Otherwise I think I will choose Wright; even though I have some hesitations about the program, I like it overall.

If you get the tuition reimbursement at U of Indianapolis, I'd do that hands down. Full tuition vs no tuition reimbursement is no content (I'm assuming Chicago is giving $30K total and not $30K/year).
Yeah. The only thing that I'm worried about is when exactly I will find out if I receive the full reimbursement or not. I mean, who would turn that down to start with?

Officially attending Wichita State University's Clinical Psychology PhD program this fall. Super excited!

Congratulations Paulie!

How did they notify you? I've been waiting on them, but nobody will answer my emails.

Congratulations Paulie!

How did they notify you? I've been waiting on them, but nobody will answer my emails.

Thanks mbeck! The DCT called me on March 21st with an acceptance offer. I do know that not everyone with offers have officially accepted so there may still be hope. And that's lame that they're not responding to your emails.

Texas Tech University - Human Development and Family Studies, PhD
:) Class of 2017? Yikes!
Very excited especially after interviewing and meeting with my POI and cohort.

Is it me or is there a difference in how programs handle the official acceptances? I hear and see PsyD students talking about sending in a deposit (usually with a deadline of April 15). However, I haven't heard of this with university PhD programs. Do only some programs require a paid deposit, while others require just a written letter??

University of Denver - Class of 2016
PsyD in Clinical Psychology

Anyone else? :highfive:

Is it me or is there a difference in how programs handle the official acceptances? I hear and see PsyD students talking about sending in a deposit (usually with a deadline of April 15). However, I haven't heard of this with university PhD programs. Do only some programs require a paid deposit, while others require just a written letter??

Many PhD programs are funded so students don't pay. They don't require a deposit or anything, just a formal written statement accepting the offer.

University of Florida
PhD in Clinical and Health Psychology

:soexcited:

University of Denver Clinical PhD program! There are so many PsyD people on here I'm hoping to find someone else in my cohort! :)

UC Santa Barbara - School Psychology PhD!!! Anyone from my cohort here?

It feels SO good to have made a decision! :biglove:

University of Delaware - PhD in Clinical Psychology/Science!

Add me in there!

University of Denver PsyD for Fall 2012

I just sent in my deposit for Widener's Psy. D. class of 2017 - feel free to PM me if you did too!

I just sent in my deposit for Widener's Psy. D. class of 2017 - feel free to PM me if you did too!

Do all schools require a deposit? No one told me about this at my school...

Most Ph.D programs do not, only Psy.D. programs that are unfunded.

Marquette University
Clinical PhD
Neuropsychology
Super psyched about my POI - seems like he will be great!

Anyone in my cohort?

Most Ph.D programs do not, only Psy.D. programs that are unfunded.

It might depend on the school for PhD programs... I accepted at Temple for Clinical Psych PhD and I had to put down a tuition deposit even though I get tuition remission.

Such good advice, and some words of wisdom I actually learned along this grueling process.

It really is much better to keep an open mind throughout this whole process. You'll learn things about the program/location/professor(s) that you never would have known if you didn't go to the interview. In this way, I was very pleasantly surprised by some of the schools that I didn't pay special attention to, and alternatively, was also slightly disappointed by some of the schools. While it's okay to have a general feel of which schools you would like to attend more than others (and can be beneficial, especially when you have to make a formal decision), staying away from rigid rankings and keeping your mind open will be really good for you and will likely open your eyes to a program that is a better fit for you than you would have thought.

Ultimately, and realistically, even if you thought you had an idea of which schools you really want to go to, your rankings will shift as you go on interviews. :rolleyes:

Try to keep yourself from ranking schools before you even apply! This is completely my personal opinion and I'm sure people think differently but I think ranking schools right away just sets yourself up for disappointment. If you rank George Mason as your first choice before applying and don't even get an interview, you're already out your first choice (and believe me, this sucks).

This whole process is already so difficult, I tried to think of multiple ways to keep myself sane. This included not ranking programs until I had visited/received offers. Also, rankings change during interview season. You may love George Mason but go there and realize it's not for you. Or you go to a school at the bottom of your list and love the program. Then you have to reorder everything.

This is just one thing I did during my interview season and I think it really helped me keep an open mind about all the schools I visited. I know everyone will have school preferences but this is just my opinion. Good luck choosing schools!

I am as well! I just sent in my deposit and confirmed today :)

Very excited to say I will be attending Boston University-Clinical Psychology PhD program. If anyone is from the area, it would be great to hear from you! (About moving there, finding an apartment, things to do, and anything else you think may be useful/good to know).

Thanks!!!

I was @ BU as an undergrad. Housing is expensive but there's a lot around there. Check out places in the Brookline area. I lived in Allston, but its pretty crappy, more for undergrads or people looking to party a lot. If you have an opportunity to work with Kathie Malley-Morrison while you're at BU, you absolutely should. She is fantastic!

Accepted my offer for the University of Denver's PsyD program. Feel free to PM me if you figure out what neighborhood you're living in.

See you guys next fall!

Confirmed my acceptance to Wichita State University Clinical Program.