2012 UTMB TWU UTHSCSA (MOT programs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnmot

O.T.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread for several Texas MOT programs:

UTMB: I know UTMB is in the process of interviews, having completed the first round already. The second is in Novemeber, and the third in December. They will accept around 50. There were 44 interviewed in the first round, and around the same number if not more expected in the second and third. So chances are about 50/150'ish. I am assuming all admissions decisions will be made at the same time for all three groups, some time in December. They are hoping to fill at least 2/3 of the 50 during early acceptance.

TWU: Supposedly TWU will be sending out interview invitations in November, but as of yet, the applications are "being processed".

UTHSCSA: I have not heard or read anything about UT -Health Science Center San Antonio.

Feel free to comment on this post with interview updates, upon receiving an offer for admission, or any helpful information for all of us playing the "waiting game", hoping to hear from these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

UTMB: I know UTMB is in the process of interviews, having completed the first round already. The second is in Novemeber, and the third in December. They will accept around 50. There were 44 interviewed in the first round, and around the same number if not more expected in the second and third. So chances are about 50/150'ish. I am assuming all admissions decisions will be made at the same time for all three groups, some time in December. They are hoping to fill at least 2/3 of the 50 during early acceptance.

TWU: Supposedly TWU will be sending out interview invitations in November, but as of yet, the applications are "being processed".

UTHSCSA: I have not heard or read anything about UT -Health Science Center San Antonio.

Feel free to comment on this post with interview updates, upon receiving an offer for admission, or any helpful information for all of us playing the "waiting game", hoping to hear from these schools.

Here is the thread I started a while back and the one below that is last years where you can follow the dates of everyone else who went thru this in 2010. It is somewhat helpful...:)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=862685

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=513

Just got an invite from texas tech. Was not expecting that until after the first of the year. Interview Nov 19th. does anyone have any info on what they do for interviews? Email says only lasts 2.5 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an invite from texas tech. Was not expecting that until after the first of the year. Interview Nov 19th. does anyone have any info on what they do for interviews? Email says only lasts 2.5 hours.

I did not apply to Texas Tech, Lubbock is not my idea of home, but congratulations on your invite!
I had a roommate interview at Tech last year and she said it was basic questions, no tricks or questions designed to stump you.

HEY All!

I just called UTHSCSA and asked about the process. They said that we will receive an interview letter the last two weeks of December -by Mail (snail mail). The interviews will take place the last week of January. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited:

TWU sent out MOT interview invitations today.

No they sent out the invite via email. I don't know about the Dallas campus but the Houston campus interviews are Dec 2.

Dallas sent out email invites also and the interview it Dec 2nd as well

Hi, I just talk to TWU, Houston, and they have received the first list of recommendations from Denton, and I am assuming those are the individuals who have received an invite. They are waiting on one more list of recommendations but from what the secretary told me the second list will contain 25 more applicants. I have yet to receive one and I feel like I am going to BARF!

My stats:
3.45 Undergrad
3.75 Pre-req
60+ hours observation
100+ observation hours PT (I dont know if this matters)
3 letters of recommendation
Do I have a shot?

Hi, I just talk to TWU, Houston, and they have received the first list of recommendations from Denton, and I am assuming those are the individuals who have received an invite. They are waiting on one more list of recommendations but from what the secretary told me the second list will contain 25 more applicants. I have yet to receive one and I feel like I am going to BARF!

My stats:
3.45 Undergrad
3.75 Pre-req
60+ hours observation
100+ observation hours PT (I dont know if this matters)
3 letters of recommendation
Do I have a shot?

Your stats look good. They use the "last 60 GPA" and not the entire undergrad GPA though. Have you calculated your last 60 undergrad? Your observation looks good too, but like I mentioned before I'm not sure how heavily this weighs; if anything. 25 more doesn't sound like a lot but I know they only interview around 60 and then 42 make it in. Something like that. I wonder how many invites they have already sent out?

Your stats look good. They use the "last 60 GPA" and not the entire undergrad GPA though. Have you calculated your last 60 undergrad? Your observation looks good too, but like I mentioned before I'm not sure how heavily this weighs; if anything. 25 more doesn't sound like a lot but I know they only interview around 60 and then 42 make it in. Something like that. I wonder how many invites they have already sent out?

My last 60 hrs= 3.45, but Im starting to question whether that was good enough. Also, I called and spoke with the secretary in the OT dept and she told me I wasn't on the first list. But, she was not sure when she would be receiving the second list. Are you applying to TWU Houston?

Members don't see this ad :)
My last 60 hrs= 3.45, but Im starting to question whether that was good enough. Also, I called and spoke with the secretary in the OT dept and she told me I wasn't on the first list. But, she was not sure when she would be receiving the second list. Are you applying to TWU Houston?

Yeah I applied and put Houston as my first choice. It doesn't matter to me really which one. I'm not sure which GPA they are going by for the interview. It may be the pre-req GPA or both. I heard 3.5 is cut off but like I said I don't know if that is referring to the pre-req gpa or the last 60. TWU was the only school that I applied to this year which may have been stupid on my part. There are some schools where the deadline is still open. I chose TWU though because I want to go on to get my PH.D. and teach eventually. I love OT, especially the neuro/biological aspect.

When did you get your application in to the OT department? I don't see how it matters as long as it is by Oct 15th but I was just wondering.

Yeah I applied and put Houston as my first choice. It doesn't matter to me really which one. I'm not sure which GPA they are going by for the interview. It may be the pre-req GPA or both. I heard 3.5 is cut off but like I said I don't know if that is referring to the pre-req gpa or the last 60. TWU was the only school that I applied to this year which may have been stupid on my part. There are some schools where the deadline is still open. I chose TWU though because I want to go on to get my PH.D. and teach eventually. I love OT, especially the neuro/biological aspect.

When did you get your application in to the OT department? I don't see how it matters as long as it is by Oct 15th but I was just wondering.

Yeah same here I only applied to the Houston campus, my gf works as an slp here and I cant move. I submitted my app around June so I am pretty worried that only 25 more invites will be sent out for the Houston area. I also like neuro OT I spent a fair amount of time at methodist neuro rehab here in Houston and it was super interesting. Is this your first time applying to OT school?

Yeah same here I only applied to the Houston campus, my gf works as an slp here and I cant move. I submitted my app around June so I am pretty worried that only 25 more invites will be sent out for the Houston area. I also like neuro OT I spent a fair amount of time at methodist neuro rehab here in Houston and it was super interesting. Is this your first time applying to OT school?

Yeah this is my first and hopefully only year of applying. I take it you are male. I thought I would be one of the only ones. I'm used to it though. I'm a LPN and was only one of two in my nursing class a few years back. Is this your first year appling as well? SLP is also a great career choice. It actually came down to SLP and OT for me. I chose OT because I find it a bit more interesting and diverse but SLP is cool too. I'm not really into PT.

Yeah this is my first and hopefully only year of applying. I take it you are male. I thought I would be one of the only ones. I'm used to it though. I'm a LPN and was only one of two in my nursing class a few years back. Is this your first year appling as well? SLP is also a great career choice. It actually came down to SLP and OT for me. I chose OT because I find it a bit more interesting and diverse but SLP is cool too. I'm not really into PT.

Yeah this will be my first time applying. I worked as a PT tech for a while I wasnt into PT either. I dont know if it is just me but a majority of the OTs I was around seemed to be happier. Could have just been the clinics I worked in. haha

Yeah this will be my first time applying. I worked as a PT tech for a while I wasnt into PT either. I dont know if it is just me but a majority of the OTs I was around seemed to be happier. Could have just been the clinics I worked in. haha

OK so a little update. They are still in the process of viewing the actual applications. So if you don't hear anything tonight don't worry that much. Its not that the people who already got an invite had better stats than you, they just haven't had a chance to look at all of them yet. They may be going in order of received or even alphabetical order. But again this is not a rolling admissions program so they will review all applications. The secretary said that we could hear something anytime from now until a little before thanksgiving. Its still horrible waiting though.

Its definitely not alphabetical! lol. Okay, just to give you guys a heads up, I did apply to TWU Dallas last year and did not even land an interview. This was w/a 3.52. The cutoff last year for TWU Dallas was 3.6-something. I have NO CLUE about Houston though. I just know TWU looks @ GPA above anything. Also, they go by your last 60 on your undergrad.

Its definitely not alphabetical! lol. Okay, just to give you guys a heads up, I did apply to TWU Dallas last year and did not even land an interview. This was w/a 3.52. The cutoff last year for TWU Dallas was 3.6-something. I have NO CLUE about Houston though. I just know TWU looks @ GPA above anything. Also, they go by your last 60 on your undergrad.

Minimum 3.6 GPA to get into OT school? LOL This is what happens when stupid Yahoo.com starts putting these jobs on the "hottest jobs" list. Then you get everyone applying even though they have absolutely no interest in the career field. That is what happened to nursing. Thousands of nurses got into it just for a good paycheck. We see how well that worked out. They are miserable. Nursing is a horrible "career" field because of working with miserable people (not all but way too many of them).

Minimum 3.6 GPA to get into OT school? LOL This is what happens when stupid Yahoo.com starts putting these jobs on the "hottest jobs" list. Then you get everyone applying even though they have absolutely no interest in the career field. That is what happened to nursing. Thousands of nurses got into it just for a good paycheck. We see how well that worked out. They are miserable. Nursing is a horrible "career" field because of working with miserable people (not all but way too many of them).

I agree, it is ridiculous. I can't say I chose my path from Yahoo.com "hottest jobs" :laugh:, but I do feel your frustration. I don't think it is so much of a minimum, it is just when you have 250+ applicants the number of slots fill up quickly! So, needless to say, a 3.5 (great by most other standards) couldn't land an interview. With many other OT programs it could, but not there. They really should look for well-rounded people, not just good stats.

I applied 4 places: Tech, where I have an interview Nov 17, UTMB where I have finished my interview, TWU Dallas and UTHSC SA. I found out late that I needed one additional Humanities class for UTHSC. They require 2 I guess, vs the others. So, I do not think I will get an interview there. So, I am holding my breath for that TWU email. Actually on paper I would be more competitive at TWU as they base the GPA on last 60 (mine is like 3.9) So I would think I would get an interview but ya never know, so I hope I get my e-mail next week:xf:

OK so a little update. They are still in the process of viewing the actual applications. So if you don't hear anything tonight don't worry that much. Its not that the people who already got an invite had better stats than you, they just haven't had a chance to look at all of them yet. They may be going in order of received or even alphabetical order. But again this is not a rolling admissions program so they will review all applications. The secretary said that we could hear something anytime from now until a little before thanksgiving. Its still horrible waiting though.

Yeah the wait is killing me too. Hopefully we will hear something this week. Keep me updated if you get an interview, I will do the same. Good Luck!

I applied 4 places: Tech, where I have an interview Nov 17, UTMB where I have finished my interview, TWU Dallas and UTHSC SA. I found out late that I needed one additional Humanities class for UTHSC. They require 2 I guess, vs the others. So, I do not think I will get an interview there. So, I am holding my breath for that TWU email. Actually on paper I would be more competitive at TWU as they base the GPA on last 60 (mine is like 3.9) So I would think I would get an interview but ya never know, so I hope I get my e-mail next week:xf:

How was the interview at UTMB? What questions did they ask? Was there a writing portion? I heard it is sorta like a panel interview - but with your peers.? How long did it last?

How was the interview at UTMB? What questions did they ask? Was there a writing portion? I heard it is sorta like a panel interview - but with your peers.? How long did it last?

It was fine and lasted from 1pm to about 5pm. There are times when you have nothing to do but wait for the next event. But during those times you can chat with current students and have snack. They break you into two groups, One group does the writing first while the other does the interviews. In the writing event, they asked us to argue both sides of a topic. I guess to show we can communicate clearly. In the group interview, we have two profs, one advisor and some students, and about 5 applicants. They would start on one side and ask a question and everyone got to answer, then they would start on the other end and ask a different question so that everyone got to go first or second. You end up talking over each other a lot. The individual interview was fine. Why do you want to be an OT?, stuff like that. Everyone seemed real nice there and the students seemed to really like it. When do you interview? I did learn from the students that the night life is pretty good, you do not want to live near the campus and that the work load is similar to taking your hardest 18 hour college semester, with tons of reading.

It was fine and lasted from 1pm to about 5pm. There are times when you have nothing to do but wait for the next event. But during those times you can chat with current students and have snack. They break you into two groups, One group does the writing first while the other does the interviews. In the writing event, they asked us to argue both sides of a topic. I guess to show we can communicate clearly. In the group interview, we have two profs, one advisor and some students, and about 5 applicants. They would start on one side and ask a question and everyone got to answer, then they would start on the other end and ask a different question so that everyone got to go first or second. You end up talking over each other a lot. The individual interview was fine. Why do you want to be an OT?, stuff like that. Everyone seemed real nice there and the students seemed to really like it. When do you interview? I did learn from the students that the night life is pretty good, you do not want to live near the campus and that the work load is similar to taking your hardest 18 hour college semester, with tons of reading.

I missed the part where they said not to live close to campus. What exactly did they say? We must have talked to different people- the girls I spoke with loved living close to campus because they could ride bikes, go home for lunch,etc.

I missed the part where they said not to live close to campus. What exactly did they say? We must have talked to different people- the girls I spoke with loved living close to campus because they could ride bikes, go home for lunch,etc.

Just a couple of the girls said it was cheaper and seemed safer on the other side. Not sure what she really meant.

Just a couple of the girls said it was cheaper and seemed safer on the other side. Not sure what she really meant.

Oh i see. Well that may be something to consider, assuming I get in. Crossing my fingers. Is UTMB your first choice?

Oh i see. Well that may be something to consider, assuming I get in. Crossing my fingers. Is UTMB your first choice?

I just wanna get in somewhere. Probably my choices are TWU Dallas, I have a friend I can room with there. Then UTMB then Tech.

Did you apply to TWU as well?

It was fine and lasted from 1pm to about 5pm. There are times when you have nothing to do but wait for the next event. But during those times you can chat with current students and have snack. They break you into two groups, One group does the writing first while the other does the interviews. In the writing event, they asked us to argue both sides of a topic. I guess to show we can communicate clearly. In the group interview, we have two profs, one advisor and some students, and about 5 applicants. They would start on one side and ask a question and everyone got to answer, then they would start on the other end and ask a different question so that everyone got to go first or second. You end up talking over each other a lot. The individual interview was fine. Why do you want to be an OT?, stuff like that. Everyone seemed real nice
there and the students seemed to really like it. When do you interview? I did learn from the students that the night life is pretty good, you do not want to live near the campus and that the work load is similar to taking your
hardest 18 hour college semester, with tons of reading.

I have yet to receive an interview invite from UTMB. I applied during the early application process, but then had an issue with a transcript, which actually wasn't my fault. Got that taken care of and received an email that said my application was " up for departmental review." So I do not know if that means during the early admissions or not. UTMB is actually my 3rd choice. TWU is my top and UTHSCSA is 2nd. I will go to wherever excepts me! I have an interview for TWU Houston on Dec. 2nd, hope to see ya there! Good Luck!

I just wanna get in somewhere. Probably my choices are TWU Dallas, I have a friend I can room with there. Then UTMB then Tech.

Did you apply to TWU as well?
Yes I did apply to TWU Dallas, but did not receive and interview invitation. I'm hoping to be lucky enough to get one this week when they send out the second and final(?) invitations. :xf:

I have an interview for UTMB on November 18th and was wondering what type of questions they asked in the group interview. Did they ask about current events or healthcare reform? AOTA, centennial vision or emerging fields? I'm driving myself crazy on what to study about. Was there anything that caught you off guard?

Last edited:
I have an interview for UTMB on November 18th and was wondering what type of questions they asked in the group interview. Did they ask about current events or healthcare reform? AOTA, centennial vision or emerging fields? I'm driving myself crazy on what to study about. Was there anything that caught you off guard?

Nothing at all that catches you off guard. No need to study, I was worried about that as well but it was very laid back! No surprise questions or anything of hat nature.

Nothing at all that catches you off guard. No need to study, I was worried about that as well but it was very laid back! No surprise questions or anything of hat nature.

Do you remember any specific questions that they asked during the individual and/or group interview?

Hey all,

I just got my invite to TWU Dallas!! YAY:) Good luck everyone!!!

I have an interview for UTMB on Nov 18th. What types of questions to they ask you for the written portion and group interview? What advice do you have? I am freaking out.

I have an interview for UTMB on Nov 18th. What types of questions to they ask you for the written portion and group interview? What advice do you have? I am freaking out.

Don't freak out it's just a response to one prompt. You have 45 minutes to respond with your own opinion, there is no right or wrong answer.

Did anyone else interview at Tech this past weekend? I did and just got my acceptance e-mail today!! Anyone else?:)

Hey! I found out this week that I've been wait-listed for an interview with Tech. Kinda confused since I know they have lower reqs than TWU and UTMB which I already have interviews with both. Would you mind telling me your stats? I've got 3.56 cum gpa, 3.73 last 60 hrs, 450+ observation hours since that counts where I work as an OT tech and another 40 hrs volunteer. Which schools have you applied to? :)

I was surprised at how fast the whole Tech interview/invite process happened. They called me to interview about 3 weeks ago and then send me an invite the Tue following the Sat interview. I have a 3.9 on last 60 hours, 3.7 on last 90 and 3.8 on Prereqs, but I only a 3.2 overall due to some bad grades freshman year which may not have counted since I think Tech only looks at last 90 hours. I have around 250 obs hours, and really good req's, from what I am told. They said they had 220 applicants for the early admission, asked 50 or so to come for early interviews, of which ~10 were repeats interviews from last year. They said they will take a total of 34 into the class but did not say how many they would offer after this go around. I feel very blessed to have gotten an offer!! :) They really impressed me as well with all they said about the program and how they teach and the students we talked with. I also interviewed at UTMB and had one at TWU. I did apply to UTHSCSA, but found out late I was short an additional Humanities class. Good luck to you!!!!!:thumbup:

Wow, Tech only takes in 34? Smaller than I assumed it'd be. Congrats to you for at least having one school to choose from, I'm sure it's a comforting feeling :) and congrats for having such great gpa stats too! I'm going to TWU-Houston's interview this Fri, is that much different from UTMB's interview process?

Last edited:
Wow, Tech only takes in 34? Smaller than I assumed it'd be. Congrats to you for at least having one school to choose from, I'm sure it's a comforting feeling :) and congrats for having such great gpa stats too! I'm going to TWU-Houston's interview this Fri, is that much different from UTMB's interview process?

Thanks!!! I do not know how TWU in Houston is done. I hear there is a writing portion and a interview, thus I think it is probably similar to UTMB. The good news is that UTMB expanded this year to take more students, so that should give everyone a better shot with more slots open than in past years. Good Luck!!!!!

I was recently accepted into TTU MOT program. If anyone else who has been accepted has any questions about Lubbock, Housing, TTU, etc. let me know. I have lived here for the past 2 years and would be happy to offer any help. See you in May! :)

Did anyone notice that on the site it said that acceptance notifications would be given no later than December 1st yet they have their last round of early decision interviews December 2nd? Has anyone talked to UTMB by any chance?

Did anyone notice that on the site it said that acceptance notifications would be given no later than December 1st yet they have their last round of early decision interviews December 2nd? Has anyone talked to UTMB by any chance?

Yes I did notice that as well; however I am pretty sure it is a typo. They aren't making official acceptance decisions until after the third round of interviews which is this weekend. My guess is that we should hear within the next 2-3 weeks.

They told my interview group that they would email us their decision sometime during the week before Christmas.

They told my interview group that they would email us their decision sometime during the week before Christmas.

So we'll either have a good Christmas or a bad one ;)
The waiting part is by far the hardest! Good Luck to All!