2013-2014 UCSF Alternate List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's use this thread to gain/share information and track movement in the waitlist as the cycle progresses. Best of luck to everyone on here!

Members don't see this ad.

When are you guys sending an update letter/LOI?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think last year there were 100. So I would estimate that this year would be the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Checking in too. Good luck to everyone in the coming weeks!

Is anybody mentioning in their letter of intent that they would choose USCF above all other schools, including the school that they've already been accepted at? Or is that a terrible idea since the Deans will see who got in where after May 15th anyways?

So am I correct to guess that roughly 50% of people waitlisted are eventually accepted, based on last years results?

Is anybody mentioning in their letter of intent that they would choose USCF above all other schools, including the school that they've already been accepted at? Or is that a terrible idea since the Deans will see who got in where after May 15th anyways?

First off, by definition, that IS a letter of intent. It's a very meaningful thing to make in a written statement simply because you are saying I WILL ABSOLUTELY ATTEND IF ACCEPTED IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE... basically. Secondly, the other schools should not know about the letter of intent. So if you don't get into UCSF, and you matriculate somewhere else, there should be no bad blood. That would be unethical on the part of deans. They (should) understand that their school might not be your first choice. Hell, the vast majority of schools are obviously not people's first choices.

Hi, I'm new here, but checking in as well! Good luck to everyone!

So am I correct to guess that roughly 50% of people waitlisted are eventually accepted
I've heard multiple times that a significant amount of the matriculating class is from the waitlist, and I've also heard that ~50% of the waitlist get accepted. In addition, it was repeatedly mentioned during my interview day that the wait list is "a good place to be in." I hope the 50% thing is true. However, the movement also fluctuates every year so we can only hope that it's close to 50%.

Hi everyone, not sure if this is 100% relevant, but I was just accepted off the waitlist for JMP! Interviewed late Feb, placed on the alternate list late March, and then just got the phone call yesterday. :) After the phone call, I received an e-mail saying a decision was made my Berkeley graduate application, and to sign in to view it. Crossing my fingers for everyone here!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know or can comment on the waves of waitlist movement in the past? It seems like there is definitely movement right after May 15th but is it slow for the rest of the summer?
Also, can anybody comment on what they're doing for housing? I feel weird seeking out potential roommates and appts at a different medical school when my heart is set on UCSF. Thanks!

I feel weird seeking out potential roommates and appts at a different medical school when my heart is set on UCSF. Thanks!
I don't know for sure but I think housing is pretty much : you're on your own. The campus doesn't have any housing i dont think (it's tiny!)... it's pretty expensive in the area. You can do some craiglist research to figure that out. Yeah I'm holding out on signing any leases for my currently accepted top choice until after May... so im in the same boat.

This is probably selfish thinking but I'm secretly hoping that the Geffen scholarships will cause more waitlist movement at other schools, particularly here :D

You are secretly right. As much as I love UCSF, I can guarantee that a minimum of one spot is opening up on the waitlist because of the Geffen Scholarship.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So... My friend told me this (and I checked this), but as of now there are 152 people in the Facebook group for class of 2018 >.<

That's actually a really good thing! In the school groups that I am in, there are usually ~10-15 MS1s and lots of people still deciding. For example, UCI (incoming class ~102) has 134 people. I think UCSF has a class size of ~160-170, so there seems to be some room!

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but at least 40 of those in the facebook group are MS1s. We LOVE and are so excited about all of the accepted students!! :)

Meh. My practical side is yelling at me to get started on a new AMCAS ASAP since applying late was likely my downfall last year, but the rest of me is like "f--- that s---..." (on alternate for JMP, which was only program I interviewed at).

However, I am rooting for tons of UCSF alternate movement! If some JMP admits get into UCSF and prefer it, then that means a possible spot for me and other JMP alternates! ^_^

Checking in. Also, a quick glance at the Facebook group revealed that there are 171 students now. Hopefully it was just more excited MS1s joining?

How is everyone on this thread holding up during this waiting game?

I think a lot of people joined during accepted students weekend. It should go down over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Can anybody comment on how promptly the admissions office responds to emails? I feel like if you're trying to ask a question regarding how they should contact you if you move off of the alternate list while you're abroad, they should respond eventually, right?

When I sent an update letter in the past, they were really prompt in responding that it would be added to my file (1-3 days). If they haven't gotten back to you in a while, I would just call to ask the question. The people whom I've spoken to over the phone were really nice. Oh, and while you're calling, feel free to ask them questions about the waitlist (how many of us are there?, has there been movement yet?) and then report back to us here ;) lol you don't have to but just thought I'd throw that out there haha

Ugh, I just sent mine yesterday morning but there has not been any response. Perhaps it is already too late to update my file.

I am sure they are handling a high volume of updates right now. I sent an update this afternoon and received a reply three hours later saying that it had been added to my file.

Just to verify: [email protected]? I guess I will call on Monday if I have not heard back from them by then.

Just to verify: [email protected]? I guess I will call on Monday if I have not heard back from them by then.
Yup that's the email address

edit: I emailed the office the other day asking about update letters and they told me that they sometimes have problems with email attachments and so they advise minimizing the amount of pages in the attachments. They made it seem like they prefer the letters to be typed directly on the email? How do you guys usually send in your update letter/LOI? I send mine as a PDF attachment, which I thought was the norm.

Last edited:
Called UCSF to confirm that they got my letter and they said that they don't normally respond when they receive letters of intent since they receive "countless" of them. They didn't even pull up my file. Just a heads up to anyone else if they are waiting on UCSF to respond.

I've heard multiple times that a significant amount of the matriculating class is from the waitlist, and I've also heard that ~50% of the waitlist get accepted. In addition, it was repeatedly mentioned during my interview day that the wait list is "a good place to be in." I hope the 50% thing is true. However, the movement also fluctuates every year so we can only hope that it's close to 50%.

I hear that we over here at UCLA are stealing some of your students at UCSF with our Geffen Scholarship. I met at least 5 people who had an acceptance at UCSF that were seriously considering or had already decided on UCLA due to the full scholarship! So... The wait list might move a little bit more this year (I hear that they gave out a total of 44 Geffen Scholarships this year). The other school we are in competition with is Stanford.

Having received a Geffen Scholarship myself, I am hoping that we get those awesome students so that they will join me as classmates. Many of you being on the wait list at UCSF yourselves, I bet you are all hoping the same thing so you can grab their spot!

Just thought I would pop on over and add some friendly competition. Any of you other Geffens stalking both boards should just come on down to SoCal! :)

Best,
C

I hear that we over here at UCLA are stealing some of your students at UCSF with our Geffen Scholarship. I met at least 5 people who had an acceptance at UCSF that were seriously considering or had already decided on UCLA due to the full scholarship! So... The wait list might move a little bit more this year (I hear that they gave out a total of 44 Geffen Scholarships this year). The other school we are in competition with is Stanford.

Having received a Geffen Scholarship myself, I am hoping that we get those awesome students so that they will join me as classmates. Many of you being on the wait list at UCSF yourselves, I bet you are all hoping the same thing so you can grab their spot!

Just thought I would pop on over and add some friendly competition. Any of you other Geffens stalking both boards should just come on down to SoCal! :)

Best,
C

Did you even manage to get an interview at UCSF? Please take your humble bragging elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Best,
C

Best,
C
Dear C,
I'm curious what you had to do to get the Geffen scholarship, because it clearly wasn't your stats that landed it; you are the one who got the 27 and 33 on the Mcat, correct?

Called UCSF to confirm that they got my letter and they said that they don't normally respond when they receive letters of intent since they receive "countless" of them. They didn't even pull up my file. Just a heads up to anyone else if they are waiting on UCSF to respond.
Dang that's exactly what I did as well. I guess there's nothing we can do but wait.

Did you even manage to get an interview at UCSF? Please take your humble bragging elsewhere.

Dear C,
I'm curious what you had to do to get the Geffen scholarship, because it clearly wasn't your stats that landed it; you are the one who got the 27 and 33 on the Mcat, correct?

Dang, I was just trying to be friendly and give people on the wait list some hope. I said "friendly competition"... Not cut-throat, humble-bragging nonsense. I have zero reason to be bragging over here in this thread.

No problem at all, I'll just go back to where I came from. Don't worry all, I won't lower my standards of manners and friendliness in UCSF students, these are probably just a pair of bad apples. I'm just glad they won't be my classmates!

To everyone else: good luck! Here's to a fast-moving wait list for everyone! :)

the suspense is keeping me up at night, seriously. Good luck everybody

Does anybody know how long applicants accepted after May 15th get to respond? I'm assuming the turn around should be pretty quick.

Last edited:
Any news? Sorry if this post made your heart jump.