2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected pre-secondary after 5 weeks by snail mail today, :( :( 3.6/35 IS. Best of luck to you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a re-applicant, and no red flags that I know of.. Unless it was my science GPA? (<3.5)? Or maybe they wanted more clinical experience? I honestly don't know what to make of it.... =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-secondary after 5 weeks by snail mail today, :( :( 3.6/35 IS. Best of luck to you guys!

Sorry to hear that and hope you have better luck with other schools. I turned in a secondary early September and am eagerly awaiting their decision.

Thanks, guys! They're really great in that you can meet with an admissions officer after an unsuccessful app, so I will definitely be doing that!

Best of luck! :luck:

First rejection. Neat. OOS. Good luck all!

3.08uGPA/4.00gGPA/34 MCAT (36 Composite score) + tons of research and clinicals

got a secondary. I am just exhausted from writing secondaries. I overcompensated in the number of schools I applied to because of my lower undergrad GPA.

Secondary being submitted by the end of this week.

II today, submitted secondary 8/28, complete email 8/30, interview assigned for mid-October

OOS, MCAT 32-33, GPA ~3.7

Members don't see this ad :)
II today, submitted secondary 8/28, complete email 8/30, interview assigned for mid-October

OOS, MCAT 32-33, GPA ~3.7

Congrats! I submitted 9/7. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

At least I started my epidemiology/biostats masters program today at OHSU. I think that will be awesome and a good way to stay occupied and not continually refresh my browser.

Congrats! I submitted 9/7. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

At least I started my epidemiology/biostats masters program today at OHSU. I think that will be awesome and a good way to stay occupied and not continually refresh my browser.

I submitted my secondary 8/19 and I'm still waiting too.

I submitted my secondary about two weeks ago. I guess I will have to wait for a few more weeks before I hear back!

Secondary recieved 9/4, primary was in about 8/20

I have a question for anyone who has gone to an interview - what is the interview day like? I have been told to come for an interview at a certain time, but when can I plan to leave? If I have a morning interview, can I fly out later that same afternoon? Is there a tour or other meeting?

Thank you!

1. The interview "day" is really nice. I attended an optional tour and lunch with medical students because my interview was at 2:30 PM and I had to report at around 12 for that. The tour was excellent because the MS1/2 were able to focus on 3-4 of us and tell us all about the curriculum while showing us all the resources available to us. Lunch was filling as well. That's all really that interview day has to offer though at Wayne. I'm not complaining though because it was indeed a good experience overall.

2. The interview typically lasts for an hour. I would say give yourself a 1.5 hr window for just your interview and definitely overestimate transportation time by an hour on each end. Other than the interviewing, there's nothing mandatory about the WSU interview day. If it's a priority for you, definitely plan to pick a flight to board about 4.5 hrs. after the start of your interview (ex. 12:30 PM interviewl; pick a flight boarding at 5). Just my opinion (probably more time than you need but this leaves room to avoid a rush).

Hey all, got an interview invite as well. IS, complete early september. 3.6-3.8 gpa, 35-38 mcat, so excited!!. I have a question about the interview itself, is it just a 1 on 1 interview for the whole hour? Thanks, and good luck to everyone during this cycle!

Hey all, got an interview invite as well. IS, complete early september. 3.6-3.8 gpa, 35-38 mcat, so excited!!. I have a question about the interview itself, is it just a 1 on 1 interview for the whole hour? Thanks, and good luck to everyone during this cycle!

Yes, sometimes you have two people in the room with you, but I only had one (some of the other people interviewing said they had 2 interviewers...I don't know how typical that is). I was sitting in the office for a while and saw people have interviews as short as 15 minutes and as long an 1.5 hours. My interviewer had read all the way through my file and knew a lot about what was in it.

Hey guys IS student here. 3.81 overall gpa 28 mcat

Was told they were waiting for my new mcat scores. Once I got my new score (28) I was given a secondary just a few days later on 8/12. Verification not too long after.

Hoping for that interview! Its crazy seeing some people like 3.6/35 mcats not even getting a secondary or people waiting way longer than me to get my secondary. I wonder if its because of my EC's? Seems to be no science behind any of it really.

Hoping for that interview!!!

Last edited:
Yes, sometimes you have two people in the room with you, but I only had one (some of the other people interviewing said they had 2 interviewers...I don't know how typical that is). I was sitting in the office for a while and saw people have interviews as short as 15 minutes and as long an 1.5 hours. My interviewer had read all the way through my file and knew a lot about what was in it.

I had one interviewer as well. If it was a medical student committee member sitting in on the interview, there were two interviewers including a faculty members I believe. My interview lasted roughly over an hour.

Hey guys IS student here. 3.81 overall gpa 28 mcat

Was told they were waiting for my new mcat scores. Once I got my new score (28) I was given a secondary just a few days later on 8/12. Verification not too long after.

Hoping for that interview! Its crazy seeing some people like 3.6/35 mcats not even getting a secondary or people waiting way longer than me to get my secondary. I wonder if its because of my EC's? Seems to be no science behind any of it really.

Hoping for that interview!!!

Congrats on the secondary! and good luck :luck:

Hearing about the high MCAT rejections makes me wonder if they don't bother looking at students who they think might just be using them as a safety (especially for OOS since they have so few spots for OOS applicants). I'm IS and have a high MCAT. They interviewed me and I was asked about where else I applied/was offered interviews (sort of like they were gauging what "type" of school I was hoping to attend). I might be over-analyzing, but it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Last edited:
Thanks! You too, best of luck!

When I sat through a presentation by Wayne last year they said they ask where else you applied to just get an idea of where you wanted to go. They had no way of knowing where you went. I believe it's just to see if you really want to go to wayne or if its just one of 25 schools you would go to.

For those who have interviewed already, was there a schedule or anything about the interview day?

For those who have interviewed already, was there a schedule or anything about the interview day?
You have an optional lunch and tour, and are given a time to interview. I found the tour to be extremely informative and I really liked the students who took the time out of their schedule to enthusiastically show us their school.

As far as what I've seen from other interviews, Wayne's is much more relaxed in terms of the actual day itself. Whether you decide to tour or not, you will be given a 45-60 minute interview (seems to vary quite a bit), and then you are finished.

Seeing so many people get acceptances today is making it so hard to focus!! Wayne is the first school I'll be hearing from. October 23rd can't come soon enough :xf: good luck to anyone else who's waiting to hear back on the same day! :luck:

Seeing so many people get acceptances today is making it so hard to focus!! Wayne is the first school I'll be hearing from. October 23rd can't come soon enough :xf: good luck to anyone else who's waiting to hear back on the same day! :luck:
+1, same here

Cannot wait for 10/23...Would beyond love to go to this school.

Best of luck to everyone, and congrats to all the recent II

does Wayne send rejection letters to permanent or current address?

What does Wayne State screen for? I just got a secondary and my stats are pretty low (gpa is anyway) compared to some of the folks who got screened out early on. Mostly just wondering so I can speak to my fit for them in the secondary (I will obviously turn it in because I did get screened in- that says something, I think).

Is there anywhere on the site that talks more in depth about what they look for in applicants as the MSAR notations are quite brief.

It's not an exact science or anything but low GPA and/or MCAT is forgiven if there are other interesting things in your application. For example, a particularly interesting research or community service experience that you described well in your primary application. If given am interview, do expect that you will be asked to explain the deficits in your application. I had some weird grades in my recent transcript and my interviewer basically asked "what the hell is this all about?"

Basically they saw something in your primary that they liked, and you should be able to understand your strengths well enough to know what that was. GPA and MCAT do matter here, but admissions understands that it's not the whole story and low stats don't always correlate to doing poorly in school. I can't speak on why people with really solid stats don't even get a secondary though, that's just bananas and I don't get it.

Basically just think about what makes you a good candidate. Liking Detroit and knowing a bit about it will help, having an idea of why specifically you would like to come to Wayne will help in the interview if you get one. Prior to that, try hard on the secondary essays and just be the best you you can be. Good luck!

What does Wayne State screen for? I just got a secondary and my stats are pretty low (gpa is anyway) compared to some of the folks who got screened out early on. Mostly just wondering so I can speak to my fit for them in the secondary (I will obviously turn it in because I did get screened in- that says something, I think).

Is there anywhere on the site that talks more in depth about what they look for in applicants as the MSAR notations are quite brief.

Just cannot wait for this school to release its decision on 10/23!

Best of luck to everyone on Wednesday!! :luck::luck:

Don't think this question has been asked before - but does anyone happen to know the % acceptance rates for those have interviewed (for both IS and OOS)? Especially with the rigorous pre-screening they seem to do, just thought I'd ask.

Absolutely loved this school and the area

Where do you guys find these release dates? As in when they send out the next batch of interviews and/or acceptances/weight lists/rejections?

Really would appreciate some help finding these dates.

Where do you guys find these release dates? As in when they send out the next batch of interviews and/or acceptances/weight lists/rejections?

You are given your decision date when you interview. If I remember correctly, they send out decisions roughly every month regarding acceptance/rejection. I do not know how their batches of interview invitations are scheduled.

They told us when we should expect to hear from them at our interviews. There are 6, maybe 7 dates when they will give out acceptances, etc:

10/23/13
11/27/13
12/18/13
1/29/14
2/26/14
2/26/14
if needed 5/7/14

Best of luck to everyone on Wednesday!! :luck::luck:

Don't think this question has been asked before - but does anyone happen to know the % acceptance rates for those have interviewed (for both IS and OOS)? Especially with the rigorous pre-screening they seem to do, just thought I'd ask.

Absolutely loved this school and the area

I'm not sure about the % because I don't know how many people will interview, but according to the admissions annual report that they gave out in the interview folder 366 IS and 175 OOS were offered last year. Looks like it varies a little from year to year.

Does Wayne State send out II invites through snail mail or e-mail?

Oh man. Going to be tough to concentrate at work tomorrow...cannot wait.

:luck::thumbup::thumbup::luck:

Fingers SUPER crossed

It's not an exact science or anything but low GPA and/or MCAT is forgiven if there are other interesting things in your application. For example, a particularly interesting research or community service experience that you described well in your primary application. If given am interview, do expect that you will be asked to explain the deficits in your application. I had some weird grades in my recent transcript and my interviewer basically asked "what the hell is this all about?"

Basically they saw something in your primary that they liked, and you should be able to understand your strengths well enough to know what that was. GPA and MCAT do matter here, but admissions understands that it's not the whole story and low stats don't always correlate to doing poorly in school. I can't speak on why people with really solid stats don't even get a secondary though, that's just bananas and I don't get it.

Basically just think about what makes you a good candidate. Liking Detroit and knowing a bit about it will help, having an idea of why specifically you would like to come to Wayne will help in the interview if you get one. Prior to that, try hard on the secondary essays and just be the best you you can be. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply!! I'm really excited about this school so I will definitely take any sort of sign that they may want to interview me. Surprised as an OOS applicant, I really thought they may have made some mistake.

Will definitely tell my story and see how it lands- hopefully well as I think it does match their mission