2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I remember seeing some data about match results based on number of applications submitted (and maybe number of hours listed on the APPI?) I can't seem to find that information now (either on SDN or the APPIC website). Does anyone else remember (and perhaps have a link they could share)? Thanks!

It sounds like you are looking for the match statistics that APPIC publishes?

http://www.appic.org/Match/Match-Statistics

Here they have the stats listed by year. If you are looking for something else, perhaps someone else can jump in :)

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are looking for the match statistics that APPIC publishes?

http://www.appic.org/Match/Match-Statistics

Here they have the stats listed by year. If you are looking for something else, perhaps someone else can jump in :)

Yep, match stats will definitely provide you with the average number of applications submitted per applicant; it's down in the survey results section, although 2012 and 2013 apparently aren't up yet.

Thanks folks! I found what I need.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like the recent APA training grants might be helping people score a last minute internship (at amazing places). CHOP and Henry Ford both announced internship slots opening for the 2013 year!

Just got this email about a last minute LGBT internship opening at Northwestern. Sorry if this has been posted before!

Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce that we have recently received notification from HRSA that we have been funded to expand Northwestern University's APA-approved pre-doctoral degree internship program in clinical psychology in order to prepare clinical psychologists to address the behavioral health needs of the underserved population of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals. We are accepting applications immediately for positions that would begin by September 1st of this year. We would appreciate your assistance in identifying advanced doctoral students in clinical psychology who would be interested in receiving specialized training in clinical practice and research with LGBT clients.

We recognize that most graduate students with interests in completing their internships during the 2013-2014 academic year have already accepted positions, but because of the recent notification of funding we are seeking candidates who can begin an internship by September of this year. For students who for a variety of reasons have not yet accepted a position and are interested in focused training on LGBT health, this is a unique and exceptional opportunity. Future year opportunities for this LGBT health internship track will be only available through the regular APPIC match process. Please feel free to contact us directly if we can answer any questions or we can be of assistance in any way. Dr. Reinecke can be reached at (312) 908-1465 and [email protected] or Dr. Mustanski at [email protected]. If you have a student who may be interested in our internship program, please ask them to contact us directly.

More information about this unique internship track can be found in the attached word document. In brief, the internship track expands the Northwestern University Department of Psychiatry's internship program that has been continuously accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) since 1955, the IMPACT LGBT Health and Development Program in the Department of Medical Social Sciences which conducts innovative research on LGBT public health, the HIV care program in the Division of Infectious Diseases in the Department of Medicine, and the Center on Halsted, which is the Midwest's most comprehensive LGBT service organization. This track will be a unique opportunity to receive focused internship training on multiple dimensions of LGBT behavioral and mental health. Through collaborative training across these organizations, our internship program will now offer rotations which will integrate training in 1) mental healthcare for LGBT clients in the community, 2) gay and bisexual men living with HIV/AIDS in an infectious disease clinic, 3) care for low-income individuals with serious mental illness, and 4) LGBT public health research and services. Interns will interact and learn from supervisors and other trainees in a range of disciplines, including Clinical Psychology, Psychiatry, Social Work, Infectious Disease Medicine, and Public Health.

625 N Michigan Ave Suite 2700. Chicago, IL 60611
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
Office: 312.503.5421
Email: [email protected]
Program Assistant: Robin Morrissey. Ph. 312.503.3666
www.impactprogram.org

It looks like the recent APA training grants might be helping people score a last minute internship (at amazing places). CHOP and Henry Ford both announced internship slots opening for the 2013 year!

That's awesome! I wonder how big the imbalance will be this year.

I had a call on match day from the director, who explained that I will have paperwork in the mail. I filled out the required paperwork, mostly just the agreement and an application for employment (it is a state job). They said to bring my authorization for background check to the site on my first day and report to HR. I assume they will do my background check and sign me up for a drug test, but they said I would start and if any issues come up they will deal with it.

Have not heard from them again, and have not heard about my cohort and I do not expect too.

Not sure if anyone still checks this, but I figured it wasn't worth starting a separate thread...

Have people gotten info from their internship sites? I matched in Phase II, and I got the phone calls that day and an agreement for me to sign and return, but I haven't heard anything else. I know it's still early, but I'm curious about who else is in my cohort and about specifics regarding starting! When I sent back the initial form I asked about additional information, and while they confirmed that they got my agreement, they didn't reply to the rest of my email. I decided not to follow up, since it's still so early, but I'm curious if other sites are sending out info.