2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had sites contact references?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Did any sites ask for sample reports? I know the guidelines state that students only have to send supplemental material after they interview. Did sites ask for this material or did people automatically do so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Did any sites ask for sample reports? I know the guidelines state that students only have to send supplemental material after they interview. Did sites ask for this material or did people automatically do so?

I never sent any because sites didn't ask me to. I didn't want to be irritating if they didn't ask for it (I'm assuming most sites didn't have the time to really look at supplemental materials).

Good luck to everyone...I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of the SDN'ers going through Phase II.

APPIC PHASE II MATCH DAY: Details about accessing one's Match results are now available on the home page of the Match web site, http://www.natmatch.com/psychint/.

Monday, March 25, 2013 (APPIC Phase II Match Day):

10:00 am Match results will be provided on the Match
Eastern Time web site for internship programs and applicants.
Academic programs that are APPIC Associates will
also be able to access the Match results for
each of their students. (Results sent by e-mail
to training sites, applicants and APPIC
Associates may be received prior to 10:00 am)

11:00 am Internship Training Directors and the
Eastern Time applicants to whom they have matched may
contact each other after this time.

11:00 am The APPIC Post-Match Vacancy Service begins
Eastern Time operation. See details below.

POST-MATCH VACANCY SERVICE: The APPIC Post-Match Vacancy Service will begin operation on Monday, March 25, 2013, at 11:00am Eastern Time and will continue through October 31, 2013. The purpose of this service is to provide a forum for Training Directors to post information about vacant internship positions that were unfilled from Phase II of the Match or that become available in the Spring or Summer (e.g., due to increased funding, unexpected withdrawals, etc.). Complete information about this service is now available at www.appic.org, click on the "MATCH" pull-down menu, then "Post-Match Vacancy Service."

Best of luck to everyone in Phase II!!! :)

-First generation Phase II survivor ;)

Thanks!! I hope to be another!

Best of luck to all! Its been a long process! I can't wait for it to be over!

Me too. :). Not very optimistic, since there are only three positions I'm eligible for, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised come Monday morning. Let's hope this weekend goes quickly. :)

Assuming you (general you) don't match in Phase II, what are you planning on doing next year? It is too late to apply for externships in my area, but I want to gain more experience so that I'm not in the same position again next year. Any thoughts?

I'm obviously planning on finishing my dissertation and hopefully having some more publications, but I feel I need to increase my number of face-to-face hours as well.

I'm finding this to be a really terrible problem for me, too. I would like to enter match next year having improved my application but I can't find a practicum site because they are already filled so I basically have nothing I can work on to improve myself for next year other than finishing my dissertation. It is really frustrating because on paper it looks like i have a whole year to improve but only the hours earned this summer and fall would be reflected on the APPI and spots for those positions are filled already (and this is within a 2hr travel range from where I live!)

I've heard that just finishing your dissertation can really help, so there's that at least.

I've heard that just finishing your dissertation can really help, so there's that at least.

I think at some sites, that can help quite a bit.

Also, in case anyone is wondering/worrying/etc, the e-mails seem to come at around the same time in Phase II. My phase I rejection came at 8:35am and phase II match came at 8:41am (both times Eastern). Based on the activity here, it seemed like I was one of the first to hear on both days. I don't know what order (if any) they use to send out e-mails, though my last name falls very early in the alphabet.

good luck to everyone tomorrow! :luck:
it's helped me to remember that this is just ONE stepping stone out of many that we've accomplished already in our careers and by no means is the end-all-be-all.

one of my phase 2 sites did call one of my references the day rankings were due last week - thankfully, i was able to talk to this reference the week before and rave about the site to him! not sure if them calling last minute is a good or bad sign, but at least the waiting will end tomorrow & i can move forward with my life!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think at some sites, that can help quite a bit.

Also, in case anyone is wondering/worrying/etc, the e-mails seem to come at around the same time in Phase II. My phase I rejection came at 8:35am and phase II match came at 8:41am (both times Eastern). Based on the activity here, it seemed like I was one of the first to hear on both days. I don't know what order (if any) they use to send out e-mails, though my last name falls very early in the alphabet.

I received my Phase 1 email at 7am (central standard time). I guess the emails don't all go out at once.

good luck to everyone tomorrow! :luck:
it's helped me to remember that this is just ONE stepping stone out of many that we've accomplished already in our careers and by no means is the end-all-be-all.

one of my phase 2 sites did call one of my references the day rankings were due last week - thankfully, i was able to talk to this reference the week before and rave about the site to him! not sure if them calling last minute is a good or bad sign, but at least the waiting will end tomorrow & i can move forward with my life!

I am really looking forward to the wait being over, and moving on. Hopefully, to prepare to go for internship, but either way we will get to move forward...

I received my Phase 1 email at 7am (central standard time). I guess the emails don't all go out at once.

Good luck to everyone going through Phase II! I assumed emails went out according to your match number?

I'm finding this to be a really terrible problem for me, too. I would like to enter match next year having improved my application but I can't find a practicum site because they are already filled so I basically have nothing I can work on to improve myself for next year other than finishing my dissertation. It is really frustrating because on paper it looks like i have a whole year to improve but only the hours earned this summer and fall would be reflected on the APPI and spots for those positions are filled already (and this is within a 2hr travel range from where I live!)

I'm surprised that your school/DCT doesn't do more to help you find a position...do they maybe have relationships with practicum sites in your area that they could ask a favor from? I live in a major city and although the majority of amazing positions are filled by UND, there are many great unfilled practicum positions that exist after the first round of positions are handed out. I think it would even be worth it for you or your DCT to email some sites you are extremely interested in to find out if they may have room for another student...but that's just my thought. And if you have any personal connections/strings, I would definitely pull them now. I think someone else mentioned talking with previous sites which you worked for, as they are familiar with your work and may be willing to take on an extra person who they know is competent and reliable.

Wishing everyone the best of luck tomorrow morning :) I hope everyone gets news that ultimately makes them happy.

Anywhere from 8-10 hours from now, this will be over.

For Phase I match day I slept just fine... now this time I'm both tired and awake. Any other Phase II's out there?

Yes! I am wide awake. I think I developed a phobia after going through Phase 1. I am not sure how I am going to open THAT email tomorrow. It's kinda scary how in a few hours from now, our fates are to be revealed. How do you feel your chances are compared to Phase 1?

Yes! I am wide awake. I think I developed a phobia after going through Phase 1. I am not sure how I am going to open THAT email tomorrow. It's kinda scary how in a few hours from now, our fates are to be revealed. How do you feel your chances are compared to Phase 1?

Its hard to tell, based on not knowing how many people were interviewed and not having the immediate feedback available at in-person interviews. Its hard for me to trust my instincts, given the results of Phase I.

I think I feel more hopeful but also like I have more to lose, because ironically my favorite site was one I applied to and was interviewed for in Phase II. I could see myself either really rejoicing tomorrow, or feeling heartbroken, and I feel pretty clueless as to which it will be.

What about you? How do you feel about your chances?

Its hard to tell, based on not knowing how many people were interviewed and not having the immediate feedback available at in-person interviews. Its hard for me to trust my instincts, given the results of Phase I.

I think I feel more hopeful but also like I have more to lose, because ironically my favorite site was one I applied to and was interviewed for in Phase II. I could see myself either really rejoicing tomorrow, or feeling heartbroken, and I feel pretty clueless as to which it will be.

What about you? How do you feel about your chances?

TBH, I was shocked when I got the results from P1. Not because I think I am great and all, but coz' of the "connection" I had with one particular site. Looking back, I think there are some merits as to why I didn't match. I had a few more interviews this time ard, but the interviews were also over the phone and skype, which like I had told you earlier, a little difficult to gauge the interests from the opposite party. But oh well, it is what it is. You are right that we can't really trust our instincts. I hope that you will match to your favorite site, but if that doesn't happen, then, hopefully, it'll a site that is equally great.

On a side note though, I feel like the cohorts talk and pay less attention to P2 match than they did in P1. Our cohort had a prematch gathering and all the day before. I felt like I had more support then. But whatever it is, the time will come and we will have to face it. Hoping it'll be good news for everyone here. I will report back with results when I get it.

TBH, I was shocked when I got the results from P1. Not because I think I am great and all, but coz' of the "connection" I had with one particular site. Looking back, I think there are some merits as to why I didn't match. I had a few more interviews this time ard, but the interviews were also over the phone and skype, which like I had told you earlier, a little difficult to gauge the interests from the opposite party. But oh well, it is what it is. You are right that we can't really trust our instincts. I hope that you will match to your favorite site, but if that doesn't happen, then, hopefully, it'll a site that is equally great.

On a side note though, I feel like the cohorts talk and pay less attention to P2 match than they did in P1. Our cohort had a prematch gathering and all the day before. I felt like I had more support then. But whatever it is, the time will come and we will have to face it. Hoping it'll be good news for everyone here. I will report back with results when I get it.

I def feel like I have more support here than in my cohort, since not many are in Phase II and those of us who are have been hurting somewhat.

Thank you for your well wishes- I also hope you match Phase II and even if I don't match, I will want to hear some good news from people here! Maybe us SDN'ers will luck out and snag spots in Phase II!

Now lets try to sleep through some of the next 6.75-8.75 hours until we all have answers!

I am wide awake and my heart is pounding!! Good luck everyone!

I just got an email...I didn't match. Again. This is unreal!

I'm so sorry, this whole process they make us go through sucks!:(

I just got an email...I didn't match. Again. This is unreal!

i didnt match either. wtf? i had a really great interview wit a site and i ranked them first. well, time to give up til nxt year, i guess. i heard that there are usually no APA sites left for post match vacancy. does anyone know about that?

i didnt match either. wtf? i had a really great interview wit a site and i ranked them first. well, time to give up til nxt year, i guess. i heard that there are usually no APA sites left for post match vacancy. does anyone know about that?

Ugh I am so sorry for all those that didn't match!

I matched to my third choice, a VA med center in the mid-west. I guess it will be an interesting year....

This was my third year applying..had a few amazing interviews and still got the dreaded no match email. At what point do I say enough is enough? I was supposed to graduate two years ago!

Didn't match. Back to the drawing board for next year.

I'm pretty **** mad at Scott & White Hospital for telling me I was "being strongly considered". TD's shouldn't say things like that because it got my hopes up and then I didn't match anywhere. Not cool.

Matched to my 2nd choice VA site in the South. Mixed feelings, but thankful nonetheless!

I'm really sorry for those who didn't match, and I know it must be so hard to experience the disappointment all over again. :(

I matched! Happy and scared all at the same time.

So sorry to those that didn't match. I agree. This process sucks.

Is there anyone one out there who hasn't heard anything yet? :confused:

didn't match, but wasn't thrilled about the options so not entirely heartbreaking. Definitely not as bad as the first round! Here's to completing dissertations in the meantime...

I matched!! Totally shocked. Congrats to those who matched... Sorry to those who didn't.

I'm pretty **** mad at Scott & White Hospital for telling me I was "being strongly considered". TD's shouldn't say things like that because it got my hopes up and then I didn't match anywhere. Not cool.

Dude, no one wants to live down with those aggies anyways EEEEEW. ;)
Next year will be better.

For all you who didnt match, I matched my second year to my 8th ranked place. I'm not thrilled, but I'm moving on. You will next year, too.

The post-match vacancy list is TINY!

From what I understand, that list gets busier in the next few days as more vacancies are added. Maybe someone from previous years can give more information in that regard. You may want to keep watch as a great opportunity just may open up.

Mine is finished and I didn't match. Phase two, either.

I did not propose yet (my school doesnt require proposal to apply) and I matched to an APA site.

Hope all works out for people.

Last edited:
Allendale just posted a vacancy and they are APA accredited.

They seem to have had a LOT of difficulty filling their internship and postdoc slots over the last several years....

They seem to have had a LOT of difficulty filling their internship and postdoc slots over the last several years....

Not to spread rumors unnecessarily- but they have quite a reputation for being unkind to their interns and postdocs. I have heard DCTs and students alike question how they have been able to remain accredited.

Regarding the 4,481 students who registered for the Match:

2,506 (56%) matched to an accredited position
820 (18%) matched to a non-accredited position
1,155 (26%) did not match to a position (includes unmatched and withdrawn applicants)

For the past 5 years at least (I believe longer), we have only been able to provide accredited positions for about half of doctoral students, even after Phase II. Wow, I can't imagine any other profession tolerating such an outcome.

Not to spread rumors unnecessarily- but they have quite a reputation for being unkind to their interns and postdocs. I have heard DCTs and students alike question how they have been able to remain accredited.

Just to piggyback on that comment, a few of my cohorts had to be pulled out from their practicum at Allendale just because of they were treated unethically.

Just to piggyback on that comment, a few of my cohorts had to be pulled out from their practicum at Allendale just because of they were treated unethically.

What is the full name of this internship site? location? Just so i know in case some of my supervisees want to apply in the future.