2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afteranesthesia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start this thread for this year?

I'm already getting confused trying to think through comparing programs.

What order would you put these in - duke, mgh, penn, yale, cornell, bi, mt sinai and vandy?

Academic career in mind...

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too early to start this thread for this year?

I'm already getting confused trying to think through comparing programs.

What order would you put these in - duke, mgh, penn, yale, cornell, bi, mt sinai and vandy?

Academic career in mind...

Interviewed at several of these last year.

1. Duke--top notch in every respect
2. Vandy--a slightly smaller version of the above.
3. MGH--same but with a sky-high cost of living
4. Penn--also solid, but a bit more malignant.
5. Mt. Sinai--had a good friend who matched here and really liked it. I don't know much about this program.
6. Cornell--Also don't know much about it.
7/8. Yale/BI --New haven... eh? Interviewed at BI and found it to be a middle-tier program with a harvard name.

Who cares... They're all solid programs supposedly. Go where you feel comfortable, where you'll be happy from a location standpoint, and where you can live relatively well on your resident salary. Ask about ongoing research at each institution to see if there's anything that intrigues you in case you do want to get involved and continue into an academic career.

Just remember that the name on the side of the building doesn't mean squat if you're overworked, homesick, and surrounded by people you don't really get along with...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually heard some pretty bad things about Duke anesthesia. A few of my classmates interviewed there and found the program to be a beatdown with some fairly unhappy residents and malignant staff. I don't know personally, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I hear nothing but good things about Vandy. From what little I know about the rest, they honestly sound like average or above-average programs that trade off their names. That said, you could do worse than having average training with a prestigious name to fall back on, of course.

I've actually heard some pretty bad things about Duke anesthesia. A few of my classmates interviewed there and found the program to be a beatdown with some fairly unhappy residents and malignant staff. I don't know personally, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I hear nothing but good things about Vandy. From what little I know about the rest, they honestly sound like average or above-average programs that trade off their names. That said, you could do worse than having average training with a prestigious name to fall back on, of course.

Interesting. I didn't apply there but I know three that have said "Duke has some of the happiest residents"....but yea, I don't know from personal experience.

I can't speak to the happiness of my co-residents, but I can promise you that the staff is not malignant. Anyone can PM me about Duke if they want details.

I'm kind of surprised that WashU, UCSF, and Hopkins and UW aren't on your list ... got a lot of big names there but if you're truly interested in academics, why not go with the best-funded?

I made a spreadsheet and compiled data from all the interview folders and ultimately it is coming down to gut feel...and I have 5 more interviews to go to further muddy the picture.

But seriously, you can't be dependent on the opinions of others to help you with a hugely personal decision - make a spreadsheet and it will yield at least the DNR [do not rank] schools, if you have any.

Dukes program sorta seemed like a bunch of tools " we are the Hopkins of this and the Harvard of that " give me a break. All these programs are the same just different resident personalities at them. And to the person who commented on funding ... As a resident you will not even notice the amount of NIH funding they have bc you won't be setting up a lab and your residency training won't notice a difference between the top 5 and the top 55

Not depending on others opinions in total, but sometimes others have noticed interesting things about other programs that they liked, and it's nice to hear them. I'm mainly going off of some numbers and features I care about + gut feeling. I do have other programs on my list, but I know where I'm ranking them already.

Thanks for your input.

Has anyone started making a preliminary rank list? How many interviews do most of you have remaining?

yeah,think so, I can promise you that the staff is not malignant. Anyone can PM me about Duke if they want details.
6.gif

Has anyone started making a preliminary rank list? How many interviews do most of you have remaining?

I've had an idea of mine all season, in very general terms anyways. Right now I have a handful of ones that I thought were OK, a couple that I won't rank, and then a couple that I really liked and I am having issues in what order to put them.

I still have two anesthesia interviews left as well, which honestly at this point I'm hoping I don't like the programs....don't need to muddy the waters any more. :laugh:

I've had an idea of mine all season, in very general terms anyways. Right now I have a handful of ones that I thought were OK, a couple that I won't rank, and then a couple that I really liked and I am having issues in what order to put them.

I still have two anesthesia interviews left as well, which honestly at this point I'm hoping I don't like the programs....don't need to muddy the waters any more. :laugh:

Honestly, the only reason you shouldn't rank a program you interviewed at is if you'd rather scramble into IM etc than go there......

Members don't see this ad :)
How about among the following socal programs: cedars, usc, uci, loma linda

how would you order these programs?

How about among the following socal programs: cedars, usc, uci, loma linda

how would you order these programs?

Personal opinion : Loma Linda>UCI=Cedars>USC

between UCI & Cedars :
Positives UCI: UCI more cases but tougher hours. not having to live in L.A.. case variety. more independent thinking allowed (you're not one-on-one). medium size program. leaving the home institution for some rotations (may be positive or negative. networking and seeing other practice models. but having to relocate. hospital pays for it so why not get out of the O.C. bubble. attendings are great.
Negs : hours. has had issues in past. doesn't do liver transplants. didactics weak. no elective time during senior years.

Positives Cedars : more private practice feel. you're in LA if you want that network. one-on-one time with attendings but less independence may be annoying during senior years. moonlighting
Negs: small-ish program. newer program. high cost of living.

Last edited:
I am looking to the collective wisdom of the forum to help me rank my programs. I have been reading everyone's thoughts and some of these programs have come up before, but any additional thoughts on how you might order them would be appreciated. I interviewed at 12 and will rank the 11 listed below.

(In no particular order other than large groupings)

(#1-5)
University of Michigan
UPMC
UAB
Northwestern
OHSU

(#6-11)
Penn State
University of Colorado
UK
UF (Gainsville)
University of Louisville
Maine Medical Center

Thank you to anyone willing to comment.

Interestingly enough, my top ~7 are all your top 5 except Northwestern due to not interviewing there. But I hear great things just the hours could be a bit taxing. Otherwise, I hear the teaching is top notch!

UPMC : loved my visit there. strong overall program. no weakness from what I could gather except maybe pain as they don't do many thoracic epidurals. moonlighting. happy residents. great hours. great cost of living. intnl rotations. great attendings.

drawbacks would be cold. not the most diverse city if you're a minority. obviously my only drawbacks are unrelated to program.

UM : excellent program. strong network. great teaching. great program director & chair. great schedule. large class (personal pref.). call schedule is amazing. hours are great overall.

only negatives would be the pain experience is good but not excellent like the rest of the program. lack of moonlighting opps. rough intern year. maybe pain rotation could be improved.

UAB : will be interviewing there soon. but before visiting it still is in my tops. moonlighting. great schedule out at 3pm. strong in all areas. all fellowships are available if you want to stay local. teaching is excellent. attendings are great. great cost of living.

drawbacks : again like upmc not that culturally diverse. it's in the south. name recognition is excellent. it's an elite institution. however, to laypersons UAB doesn't have the name of say Hopkins or an Ivy league. However, not sure how much an Ivy league name really matters. Since I would much rather go to UAB for training than say Yale or Dartmouth. But that's personal preference. that's my only reasons why i can't say they're number one.

OHSU : very similar to UM. more family feel than UM. smaller class size. can be a plus or minus. Both chairs here and at UM are very well-known. fellowship placement is great. pain rotation here is excellent.

neg: no moonlighting.

I would be interested in hearing your input as well and how you will be ranking them. Personally, I'm from CA and that factors into my decision a bit. Mainly with OHSU. But otherwise I'm not sure how I'll be ranking them.

My rank list in current order
1. UTMB - Galveston
UPMC
Cleveland Clinic
Oregon Health
UAB
UMich
Case Western Reserve - Cleveland
Loma Linda

I heard nothing but good things about UAB, but after 4 years of Little Rock, I needed relief from the south in the worst way. I'm surprised you're ranking Kentucky so low. That was one of my favorite programs, even though it ended up being 4th on my list, I think.

I didn't interview at Michigan, but they sound like name traders: giant program with little personal faculty interaction and average training. Based on what I recall from last year, I'd probably go UAB (if you can handle small-ish city southern life), Northwestern, UPMC, OHSU, UMich.

1. UTMB - Galveston
UPMC
Cleveland Clinic
Oregon Health
UAB
UMich
Loma Linda
Just out of curiosity, what was it that you liked so much about UTMB? I didn't exactly get the best impression from that program. The recruitment director forgot it was an interview day (????), the PD answered a call from his wife in the middle of our interview and then abruptly left with another anesthesiologist to go to the OR, and the OB volume there seems like it'd make for a rough 3 years. The intern year was pretty sweet, though.

Any thoughts on how to arrange the following programs in terms of reputation/career prospects? I'm okay with all of the locations but like the west coast/metropolitan cities.

Mayo Clinic (AZ), University of Arizona, UCLA, USC, UCI, WashU, UChicago, UMichigan, Emory

I heard nothing but good things about UAB, but after 4 years of Little Rock, I needed relief from the south in the worst way. I'm surprised you're ranking Kentucky so low. That was one of my favorite programs, even though it ended up being 4th on my list, I think.

I didn't interview at Michigan, but they sound like name traders: giant program with little personal faculty interaction and average training. Based on what I recall from last year, I'd probably go UAB (if you can handle small-ish city southern life), Northwestern, UPMC, OHSU, UMich.

Just out of curiosity, what was it that you liked so much about UTMB? I didn't exactly get the best impression from that program. The recruitment director forgot it was an interview day (????), the PD answered a call from his wife in the middle of our interview and then abruptly left with another anesthesiologist to go to the OR, and the OB volume there seems like it'd make for a rough 3 years. The intern year was pretty sweet, though.

I thought the UTMB program was strong in all areas. Rotating at Driscoll & Shriners you get complex peds exposure that you might not get in other programs. OB experience is strong with complex diseases processes and of course with patients who have Texas BMIs. They seem strong in hearts and rotate at Methodist Hospital. Call doesn't seem awful 3-5/mo doesn't seem too bad. Yeah you might be up a lot during Ob but that's only a few months. Since I'm sure I don't want to do an Ob fellowship seeing the most complex Ob patients in residency would be helpful. I wouldn't even mind rigorous Ob rotations either since I'm sure I will see Ob patients in practice. Getting relieved for sure at 4:30pm definitely sounds nice. Staying late for 50/hour doesn't sound to shabby either.

Biggest drawbacks for me is Galveston. The hospital seemed a bit run down as well. If I'm in the hospital all day & night being in a gorgeous hospital won't seem as miserable. Baylor, however, has a really nice hospital but does not seem financially as stable as UTMB nor do they give you the awesome perks UTMB does. I do feel like UTMB is the strongest program in TX. And intern year at UTMB seems amazing! Also, seems like everyone at UTMB & Baylor stay local for fellowship. However, this is probably personal preference for most of them. But that is a big drawback for me since I'm not sure I want to stay in TX for fellowship. I wouldn't mind doing that but I can't say for sure right now.

I think in defense of UTMB for forgetting it was an interview day, I think they have a lot of interview days to make it convenient for applicants. I think they interview as little as ~4/day to accommodate applicants.

Plus, I really like Houston. What a gorgeous and multicultural city. :)

I would be interested in hearing your input as well and how you will be ranking them. Personally, I'm from CA and that factors into my decision a bit. Mainly with OHSU. But otherwise I'm not sure how I'll be ranking them.

1. UTMB - Galveston
UPMC
Cleveland Clinic
Oregon Health
UAB
UMich
Loma Linda

I didn't interview at all the places on your list, but from my experience interviewing and talking with others, I had the best experience with or heard the best things about UAB, Oregon Health, and UMich. If you want to stay in CA then Oregon is probably the most strategic choice.

Any thoughts on how to arrange the following programs in terms of reputation/career prospects? I'm okay with all of the locations but like the west coast/metropolitan cities.

Mayo Clinic (AZ), University of Arizona, UCLA, USC, UCI, WashU, UChicago, UMichigan, Emory

All solid programs. I interviewed at WashU and Umichigan.

WashU is probably one of the best programs in the country. My big hang-up was that the residents seemed a bit overworked and unhappy.

Michigan is a nice program as well, though I felt it lacked flexibility (and it's gigantic). Ann Arbor is a nice city too when its not -20 outside.

It totally depends on where you want to live. Since you're asking about reputation, I would say:

WashU>Mayo/emory>chicago/umichigan>UCLA>USC/UCI>University of arizona

WashU is probably one of the best programs in the country. My big hang-up was that the residents seemed a bit overworked and unhappy.

Michigan is a nice program as well, though I felt it lacked flexibility (and it's gigantic). Ann Arbor is a nice city too when its not -20 outside.

It totally depends on where you want to live. Since you're asking about reputation, I would say:

No way does Mayo AZ have a better reputation then Chicago, Michigan, or UCLA. I don't think those satellite Mayos are held in much regard

I didn't interview at all the places on your list, but from my experience interviewing and talking with others, I had the best experience with or heard the best things about UAB, Oregon Health, and UMich. If you want to stay in CA then Oregon is probably the most strategic choice.

thanks for the input. I really liked OHSU. I will probably swap that with UTMB at this point. I think it's looking like

1. UPMC,
CCF,
OHSU,
UAB,
UMich
6.UTMB.

What about USC? what made you rank it last? When I interviewed there, I had a good vibe from them. They had a problem in the past particularly with the srna program but since the new PD took over 2-3 years ago, they've resolved that problem, residents seem really happy. The biggest negative about them is weak in research.

I think I've ruled out loma linda, but im having a hard time among UCI, cedars and USC.

Personal opinion : Loma Linda>UCI=Cedars>USC

between UCI & Cedars :
Positives UCI: UCI more cases but tougher hours. not having to live in L.A.. case variety. more independent thinking allowed (you're not one-on-one). medium size program. leaving the home institution for some rotations (may be positive or negative. networking and seeing other practice models. but having to relocate. hospital pays for it so why not get out of the O.C. bubble. attendings are great.
Negs : hours. has had issues in past. doesn't do liver transplants. didactics weak. no elective time during senior years.

Positives Cedars : more private practice feel. you're in LA if you want that network. one-on-one time with attendings but less independence may be annoying during senior years. moonlighting
Negs: small-ish program. newer program. high cost of living.

Hey Guys, I would like some help in ranking theses programs in order of reputation for anesthesia programs. I have other personal criteria in ranking them, but I have to figure that out myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Cleveland clinic, rush, UIC, Einstein, Case western- cleveland, NYU, Loma Linda, Ut houston, UTMB- galveston, UF jacksonville, GW

No way does Mayo AZ have a better reputation then Chicago, Michigan, or UCLA. I don't think those satellite Mayos are held in much regard

The Mayo satellite campuses are smaller programs and run as hybrid academic/community hospitals, so I think it is difficult for them to develop a huge alumni network. It seems as though they still offer top notch training and are held in high regard regionally, if not nationally.

Last edited:

I feel similarly about Wash U. The opinions about UChicago on this forum also seem mixed so having to tough time arranging UChicago, Michigan, Emory, and UCLA. Thanks for the opinion!

Hey Guys, I would like some help in ranking theses programs in order of reputation for anesthesia programs. I have other personal criteria in ranking them, but I have to figure that out myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Cleveland clinic, rush, UIC, Einstein, Case western- cleveland, NYU, Loma Linda, Ut houston, UTMB- galveston, UF jacksonville, GW

UF Jax ?

University of Florida has a branch in Jacksonville, people don't seem to know it too much though

University of Florida has a branch in Jacksonville, people don't seem to know it too much though

It is not a branch campus. It is a community hospital affiliated with the University of Florida with a ton of residency's and Fellowships but only a handful of UF med students rotating through.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

What about USC? what made you rank it last? When I interviewed there, I had a good vibe from them. They had a problem in the past particularly with the srna program but since the new PD took over 2-3 years ago, they've resolved that problem, residents seem really happy. The biggest negative about them is weak in research.

I think I've ruled out loma linda, but im having a hard time among UCI, cedars and USC.

I have not yet interviewed there. But I know historically, they're not a well-regarded program as far as reputation in the anesthesiology community. I hear private practice gigs don't really like USC people. However, they have a very extensive network so I'm sure they still get very good jobs. Yeah and the CRNA/SRNA program thing is annoying. I know in the past they had to share cases. Although I don't think they have to share cases anymore that is still an issue for me. I have yet to interview there. Will visit next week. But I know USC residents in the past very very unhappy. Maybe my visit will change that idea?

1. UPMC,
CCF,
OHSU,
UAB,
UMich
6.UTMB.

Why is ccf at 2 a interesting placement? Am I missing something?

No. Just an observation. It's interesting that different people see different things in programs. The only two places on that list I interviewed at are UTMB and CCF. I have UTMB pretty far ahead of CCF. I would have expected UAB to come before CCF on most rank lists--but I didn't interview there--just word of mouth. I guess it also depends on what you're looking for--if it's hearts, CCF is awesome, no doubt.

Why is ccf at 2 a interesting placement? Am I missing something?

Yeah I would be interested to hear about your reasons too?

I know in the past they've overworked residents due to case volume. I actually almost didn't apply there cause of that past history. But it seems like the culture of the program, didactics, hours, and resident teaching all seem to be much better now. Those residents seemed to be some of the happiest I've seen on the trail. Hours seemed to be much improved. Fellowship placement seems to be very good. Historically, a large class (40) so it was hard to get time with your attendings but they're reducing the class size to 24 this year I believe. I really liked it. However, I know any program can put on a happy face for a day so I would be interested if your reasons why you didn't like the program? I am very split between UPMC vs CCF cause both residents seem to be very happy. And both have great cases.

Last edited:
Yeah I would be interested to hear about your reasons too?

I wouldn't say at all I don't like the program, just that I'm not ranking it as highly as some others. There are many reasons for this. I didn't connect quite as well with the residents and faculty, which is very important to me. I felt the interview day was impersonal, with the exception of the chief resident interview. My personal preference is a bit more of a personal feel--just a bit. I may want to stay in academics/policy/advocacy, and feel I may be able to achieve my goals more readily at some other programs. If my career takes me the PP route, I would like to practice in Texas. So, a lot of these are intangibles--trying to figure out which place is best for my unique situation.

I agree CCF seems to have improved from it's past reputation, and in talking to an intern there, he loves it. I think the training is excellent, and if I match there, I'll be happy, no doubt.

I wouldn't say at all I don't like the program, just that I'm not ranking it as highly as some others. There are many reasons for this. I didn't connect quite as well with the residents and faculty, which is very important to me. I felt the interview day was impersonal, with the exception of the chief resident interview. My personal preference is a bit more of a personal feel--just a bit. I may want to stay in academics/policy/advocacy, and feel I may be able to achieve my goals more readily at some other programs. If my career takes me the PP route, I would like to practice in Texas. So, a lot of these are intangibles--trying to figure out which place is best for my unique situation.

I agree CCF seems to have improved from it's past reputation, and in talking to an intern there, he loves it. I think the training is excellent, and if I match there, I'll be happy, no doubt.

I had this exact same experience last year. I think it's a great program and offers awesome training. I didn't feel like it was a good fit for me. I had the hardest time connecting with the faculty and PD there compared to most of the other programs I interviewd at last year. It definitely would fit for others and I know the students that rotated there liked it, but it wasn't for me. Taking that, the impersonal interview day, and the location into account, I ranked it 20th out of 20.

1. Ohio State
2. CCF
3. Michigan
4. Indiana

Also interviewed at Maryland, WashU, U. Chicago, and UPMC. Just didn't get the warm and fuzzies at these other places like I did at those 4.

Thoughts?

1. Ohio State
2. CCF
3. Michigan
4. Indiana

Also interviewed at Maryland, WashU, U. Chicago, and UPMC. Just didn't get the warm and fuzzies at these other places like I did at those 4.

Thoughts?

Not your typical top 4 (excpet Michigan) given the other programs you have listed, but to each there own.

1. Ohio State
2. CCF
3. Michigan
4. Indiana

Thoughts?

i thought CCF was great too, so you couple guys putting it at the top aren't so crazy if you ask me

was prepared not to like it given what I had read online beforehand - but day did not seem impersonal at all to me, seems like they have really gotten serious about a renewed focus on resident education and less workhorse mentality, and I'm all for getting a big jump on anesthesia training during intern year

plus cleveland didn't seem that horrible at all in the extra day or two i hung around

if the past reputation scares some people away, works for me

Long time poster and reader. My username was too identifiable, so please don't hold the solo post against me. I'm having trouble ranking the following programs taking into consideration quality of training and residenct satisfaction. While location matters greatly, i'm trying to not consider location as a factor in my initial rank list and will later alter the list accordingly. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks!

Upenn
Sinai
Yale
Beth Israel
Cornell
UVA
Rochester
NYU

Long time poster and reader. My username was too identifiable, so please don't hold the solo post against me. I'm having trouble ranking the following programs taking into consideration quality of training and residenct satisfaction. While location matters greatly, i'm trying to not consider location as a factor in my initial rank list and will later alter the list accordingly. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks!

Upenn
Sinai
Yale
Beth Israel
Cornell
UVA
Rochester
NYU

I have an idea. Why don't we do this psuedo-scientifically.
How would you rate each of those progarms out of 10 on:
1- Location
2- Prestige
3- Quality of Training
4- Comfort talking to people there
5- Fit of your future plans with the program's track record
6- Whatever else matters to you
Score 'em, and rank 'em by score. At least that's how some programs do it - scoring sheets. :cool:

Last edited:
I have an idea. Why don't we do this psuedo-scientifically.
How would you rate each of those progarms out of 10 on:
1- Location
2- Prestige
3- Quality of Training
4- Comfort talking to people there
5- Fit of your future plans with the program's track record
6- Whatever else matters to you
Score 'em, and rank 'em by score. At least that's how some programs do it - scoring sheets. :cool:

:thumbup: Using a scoring system helps differentiate programs in some objective (although still subjective) way to you. Would also recommend weighing each criteria according to what's more or less important to you. It helps a lot.

Any reason you are ranking it so low or was it just due to gut feeling?

Location is important (happy wife, happy life so they say). I had no doubt the training I got at UPMC would be great, but didn't exactly get a great vibe from Pittsburgh, nor did my wife.

I would appreciate any advice on my dilemma

I am originally from California, which is where my immediate family resides. My top 3 programs (in no order) are UCLA, UW and U Colorado

I did an away rotation at UCLA thinking it would be my top choice, but after a month there I felt the residents constantly talked about being a workforce. UW seemed like a good program but I didn't talk to any residents who were that enthusiastic about endorsing it, but they seemed satisfied. My other concern is the gloominess and rain of Seattle, which even my interviewer complained about. As far as U Colorado, I thought the residents seemed the happiest and had zero complaints. While it is slightly less prestigious, I thought their training seemed very well-rounded. My concern with Denver is that is not very diverse and still pretty far from my family, and as a single minority (who is interested in dating another minority) I don't know how I would fit in. I do eventually want to end up back in California for practice, but I don't mind trying somewhere else for another 4 years.

Any takers?

Last edited: