2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude, Wake has its own thread on here somewhere. Search function is your friend.

She is not a dude. Also, she is not going to stop asking till you respond to her question in a manner acceptable to her. Source: past experience. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on UChicago vs. UMichigan other than Chicago vs. Ann Arbor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a few more hours till it stops!

:beat: Doing this for my SO. What do you guys thing about Nuke vs. UT Blahblah vs. UC-EW vs. UPinn. These are her no. 18-21. We have the first 17 figured out. We'd be happy at any of 1-30 - just can't decide how to rank #s 18-21. Someone please haaaaaalppppppp..

Please, guys (and girls), certify the ranklists and don't change anything now.

Certified but looking for any last minute thoughts, doubt I'll change anything, just curious.

For my top three I ended up doing IU > CCF > Ohio State.

24 more days!

Oh, it is fruitful until 8:59 tomorrow evening. **twitch** AND then we can discuss how we wish we had chosen somewhere else for the next three weeks after that.

AND then hopefully we aren't discussing how we wish the magic computer had chosen a different fate for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having a hard time deciding between these two. Feeling like living in Miami for 4 years would be a great life experience, but I think the UTMB program itself is better if you compare them head to head minus the location. Do you guys have any insight? I had never heard of UTMB before I interviewed there so I dont know much about it other than what they told me at the interview.

Here's my list of programs:

uab
University of Arizona
Mayo AZ
University of Arkansas
uc irvine
usc
ucla
harbor
ucsf
cedars-sinai
loma linda
uc davis
Stanford
UCSD
U of Colorado
uconn
yale
george washington
u of florida
u of miami-jmh
mayo-jacksonville
emory
medical college of georgia
northwestern university
loyola
rush
uic
U of Chicago
U of Indiana
iowa
university of kansas-kc
university of kansas-wichita
u of kentucky
u of louisville
lsu shreveport
Ochsner Medical Center
tulane
Maine
u of maryland
JHU
baystate
boston
umass
BIDMC
brigham & women's
mgh
st. elizabeth's (caritas cristi)
wayne state
beaumont
henry ford
u of michigan
mayo-rochester
u of mn
university of mississippi
slu
washington university
U of M at Columbia
UMKC/St.Lukes
UNMC
dartmouth
cooper
st. barnabas
st. Joseph's regional medical
umdnj-njms
umdnj-rwj
u of new mexico
albany
albert einstein
brookdale Hospital
columbia university
cornell
maimonides
mt.sinai
new york university
nymc
u of rochester
st. luke's
stony brook
suny-buffalo
suny-downstate
suny-upstate
unc
duke
Wake Forest
ohio state university
case western (metrohealth)
u of toledo
case western
cleveland clinic
u of oklahoma
ohsu
allegheny
drexel
jefferson
penn state
temple
university of pennsylvania
u of pittsburgh
musc
vanderbilt
u of tennessee
baylor
texas a&m
texas tech
ut houston
ut san antonio
utmb
ut southwestern
utah
uvm
uva
vcu
u of washington
Virginia Mason
wvu
mcw
U of Wisc

I have numbers 1-75 set, but I'm having real problems with 76-82 and 93-109. Can anyone help me? :laugh:

uab
University of Arizona
Mayo AZ
University of Arkansas
uc irvine
usc
ucla
harbor
ucsf
cedars-sinai
loma linda
uc davis
Stanford
UCSD
U of Colorado
uconn
yale
george washington
u of florida
u of miami-jmh
mayo-jacksonville
emory
medical college of georgia
northwestern university
loyola
rush
uic
U of Chicago
U of Indiana
iowa
university of kansas-kc
university of kansas-wichita
u of kentucky
u of louisville
lsu shreveport
Ochsner Medical Center
tulane
Maine
u of maryland
JHU
baystate
boston
umass
BIDMC
brigham & women's
mgh
st. elizabeth's (caritas cristi)
wayne state
beaumont
henry ford
u of michigan
mayo-rochester
u of mn
university of mississippi
slu
washington university
U of M at Columbia
UMKC/St.Lukes
UNMC
dartmouth
cooper
st. barnabas
st. Joseph's regional medical
umdnj-njms
umdnj-rwj
u of new mexico
albany
albert einstein
brookdale Hospital
columbia university
cornell
maimonides
mt.sinai
new york university
nymc
u of rochester
st. luke's
stony brook
suny-buffalo
suny-downstate
suny-upstate
unc
duke
Wake Forest
ohio state university
case western (metrohealth)
u of toledo
case western
cleveland clinic
u of oklahoma
ohsu
allegheny
drexel
jefferson
penn state
temple
university of pennsylvania
u of pittsburgh
musc
vanderbilt
u of tennessee
baylor
texas a&m
texas tech
ut houston
ut san antonio
utmb
ut southwestern
utah
uvm
uva
vcu
u of washington
Virginia Mason
wvu
mcw
U of Wisc

I have numbers 1-75 set, but I'm having real problems with 76-82 and 93-109. Can anyone help me? :laugh:

:laugh:

If you are able to pay NRMP that truckload of money for ranks 20+, then you clearly are loaded. Buy us all nice presents, we are an inspiration to you. I personally would like an iPad3 in White. :smuggrin:

If you are able to pay NRMP that truckload of money for ranks 20+, then you clearly are loaded. Buy us all nice presents, we are an inspiration to you. I personally would like an iPad3 in White. :smuggrin:

FYI, I ranked more than 20 with adv and cat designations.

I'm light years from being loaded.

I'll pick up the LTE charge as well. Verizon or AT&T?

Edit: you didn't base your ranks on whether or not they will be giving you an iPad? For me, no iPad = no rank

Someone do a countdown!

countdown.gif

last minute changes anyone?

I wish I could partake, but I'm on call. However, I'll be picking up a Delirium Tremens on my way home from work tomorrow and I'm taking Friday off.

Yes sir. I got DT's planned for the weekend

Sorry dudes, it looks like my advice is a little too late for this year's class. I just read this and there are some great questions raised. Hopefully, future applicants can benefit from my input.

First, you shouldn't think in absolutes. Everyone who trains at MGH is not a superstar. Everyone who trains at Caribbean U is not a ******. How you perform in residency and thereafter, like medical school and life in general, is dependent upon YOU. If you are punctual, work hard, and read regularly, you will likely do well. If you are lazy and don't read, you will struggle. Even if you are at Harvard. At USC, we have multiple attendings from CCF. Some are widely regarded as the weakest attendings at our program. One is an absolute superstar, probably top 10. We have multiple attendings who did either residency or fellowship at a 'top 10' program. Not kinda top 10, the top 10. I'm not impressed. One was fired last year. There is selection bias but I'm just trying to convey that nothing is automatic. Doing residency at Hopkins doesn't guarantee you a 500K+ job in Malibu. Far from it.

Your goal should be to immerse yourself in an environment where YOU will excel. You have a wealth of resources available to you, invaluable resources. If you have questions about what groups look for when hiring, ask PRIVATE PRACTICE guys. Ask Jet or Sevo or all the other Rockstars of SDN. Don't flood their mailboxes. Read through their old posts, the answers are all there. Applying for jobs is vastly different from applying to medical school or residency. There is no list of private practice groups and what hospitals they cover or how much they pay. There is no common application where you can slap that Harvard brand and expect employers to start drooling. It's a whole different game. This is real life. The best jobs, or even most jobs these days, are not advertised. 90% of the residents at my program get jobs through either former residents or a faculty member. None of these jobs are advertised.

I hear private practice gigs don't really like USC people.

Lol.

After my discussion with the residents I was not too impressed with their fellowship placement. I think on this forum it was mentioned that a few years ago a class had only two do a fellowship. I know this year USC has someone doing pain and hearts both at USC. I remember i was impressed by only two of their placements one person is going to Mt Sinai forget what for.... One going to chla.

Most residents who come to USC do not plan to do a fellowship. Until 3 years ago, 1-2 residents per class pursued a fellowship. 3 years ago, the SoCal job market began to tighten. Residents started to do fellowships. There are still jobs out there but very few good ones. There are lots of people who prey on young graduates from out-of-state, promising them a pot of gold, and then throwing them to the curb a year later. LA offers them a steady supply of young and impressionable, on to the next sucker. Sorry dude, but as a medical student, you have no idea what a competitive fellowship is. As a medical student, neither did I. I know you hear the big boys talk about how great Columbia, Duke and Mayo are at Cardiac but that is only 1% of the story. 17/18 residents in my class are from California. Their family and friends are in California. Unless they are unemployed, they are not leaving. Hence, most only apply to California programs for fellowships. California or bust.

Last year's class: 2 Pain (USC), 3 Cardiac (MGH, USC, Cedars), 2 Regional (USC), 2 Critical Care (Mt Sinai, Miami), 1 Peds (CHLA), 1 OB (Cedars)
This year's class: 2 Pain (UCLA, USC), 1 Cardiac (USC), 4 Regional (USC), 2 OB (Stanford, UCSD), 1 Peds (CHLA)

Evaluating fellowship match lists is a very inexact science. The MGH guy was a superstar but not a Chief Resident. The guy who scored the highest on the ITE all 3 years didn't do fellowship. He went into private practice. The girl who stayed at CHLA also interviewed at Hopkins and Boston. She chose CHLA. This year, the Regional fellowship had 100+ applicants. They interviewed zero people. 4 USC residents were interested, all 4 were accepted. One thing is clear, USC residents love USC and the fellowships love them back. Why? The Regional fellowship is a hybrid fellowship. You are a fellow and an attending. 50% fellow doing blocks and 50% attending. No call or weekends as a fellow and you get paid 100K+. As an attending, you can take little or lots of call to supplement your income. That is why they all stay. Pain is a similar set-up. You can take anesthesia call to keep up your skills and supplement your income. Also, you only work one weekend a month. You are not slave labor, that is why they all stay.

I know moving back to CA might be an uphill battle if I don't do residency there. But I figure you only have one chance at getting a good residency training. And the 3 things I wanted to be strong in upon graduating is regional, peds, and hearts. And it seemed like USC & UCI had deficits in at least one or two of those areas.

Lol, USC is not weak in Regional or Cardiac. On average, we have 7-8 Ortho rooms running per day. 90% of those patients get blocks. This year, we have 3 residents and 1 fellow on Regional at all times. Still, we have so many blocks, that attendings often have to do blocks themselves because a resident is unavailable. Hence, next year, they are expanding to 4 Regional fellowship spots. On average, we have 3-4 Cardiac rooms running per day. Just Cardiac, Thoracic is separate. There are 3 residents on Cardiac at all times. Residents do their own cases. Fellows do their own cases. The Cardiac cases at USC are not your average CABGs and AVRs. They are the ones rejected by Cedars and Kaiser. 30-40% are redos. The Chairman of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Dr. Starnes, is often recognized as the best Cardiac Surgeon in California. He does all the Congenital Heart surgeries at CHLA and you often do his patients for redos as adults. His pump times rival many private Cardiac surgeons, I'm talking 45 minutes. You'll definitely meet your Peds numbers. At CHLA, you get relieved everyday at 3pm. If you want more Peds cases, no one will stop you from staying later.

I would say that at USC the CA-3 who gave us a tour in Jan was still looking for a job. And I wasn't entirely impressed with their fellowship match (this year or years previous). So that did scare me a bit. Sounds like their network can't be that amazing if the CA-3 is still looking in late Jan. Then even scarier is you can't rely on their fellowship match as a back-up for a job.

Lol. When do you think groups offer contracts? Unless a group expands, the only way you break in is if someone else leaves. Groups will usually know their needs 6-9 months in advance. If they knew 1 year in advance, they would just hire someone from the previous class. Once again, the SoCal job market is extremely tight. For the last two years, USC has only hired fellowship trained attendings except for one USC resident. Why? Because there are tons of them. There are fellows training at 'top' programs and then wanting to live in SoCal. If private groups and Kaiser don't respond, they have to go academic.

There is no magical USC network. Going to USC does not automatically guarantee you a job. USC offers you opportunities. Opportunities to learn and opportunities to do complex cases. If you take advantage of those opportunities and become a superstar resident, word gets around. Next time a job opens, a faculty member may recommend you and ask you to apply. Many residents are also very picky. One guy from last year had to live near the beach. He refused most opportunities and in April of his CA-3 year, a spot opened up in Santa Monica. He is a lucky guy. In the classes of 2012-2014, 5 residents will have secured jobs in Hawaii. Yes, 2 of them have already interviewed as CA-2s. They are pretty awesome people. Hawaii is an island, there is one major group and then Kaiser. 5 residents in 3 years is not bad. I doubt many other programs could match that. The group is not doing anyone any favors. They have hired residents in the past that have proved themselves. At USC, you can become an expert in trauma, a prerequisite for the Hawaii job.

Not sure how much of a big deal this may be. On a fair number of my interviews, I spoke with a a good number of CA-3s who had not secured positions yet, especially in a tighter job market like California, NY, etc. Some of those that I spoke with who were still looking for positions mentioned they had received some offers but they were waiting it out to try and select a position that was more to their liking.

This.

Sorry to ride you hard Mikey. I was just trying to bring clarity to a very opaque process. Good luck.

Sorry dudes, it looks like my advice is a little too late for this year's class. I just read this and there are some great questions raised. Hopefully, future applicants can benefit from my input.

First, you shouldn't think in absolutes. Everyone who trains at MGH is not a superstar. Everyone who trains at Caribbean U is not a ******. How you perform in residency and thereafter, like medical school and life in general, is dependent upon YOU. If you are punctual, work hard, and read regularly, you will likely do well. If you are lazy and don't read, you will struggle. Even if you are at Harvard. At USC, we have multiple attendings from CCF. Some are widely regarded as the weakest attendings at our program. One is an absolute superstar, probably top 10. We have multiple attendings who did either residency or fellowship at a 'top 10' program. Not kinda top 10, the top 10. I'm not impressed. One was fired last year. There is selection bias but I'm just trying to convey that nothing is automatic. Doing residency at Hopkins doesn't guarantee you a 500K+ job in Malibu. Far from it.

Your goal should be to immerse yourself in an environment where YOU will excel. You have a wealth of resources available to you, invaluable resources. If you have questions about what groups look for when hiring, ask PRIVATE PRACTICE guys. Ask Jet or Sevo or all the other Rockstars of SDN. Don't flood their mailboxes. Read through their old posts, the answers are all there. Applying for jobs is vastly different from applying to medical school or residency. There is no list of private practice groups and what hospitals they cover or how much they pay. There is no common application where you can slap that Harvard brand and expect employers to start drooling. It's a whole different game. This is real life. The best jobs, or even most jobs these days, are not advertised. 90% of the residents at my program get jobs through either former residents or a faculty member. None of these jobs are advertised.

Lol.

Most residents who come to USC do not plan to do a fellowship. Until 3 years ago, 1-2 residents per class pursued a fellowship. 3 years ago, the SoCal job market began to tighten. Residents started to do fellowships. There are still jobs out there but very few good ones. There are lots of people who prey on young graduates from out-of-state, promising them a pot of gold, and then throwing them to the curb a year later. LA offers them a steady supply of young and impressionable, on to the next sucker. Sorry dude, but as a medical student, you have no idea what a competitive fellowship is. As a medical student, neither did I. I know you hear the big boys talk about how great Columbia, Duke and Mayo are at Cardiac but that is only 1% of the story. 17/18 residents in my class are from California. Their family and friends are in California. Unless they are unemployed, they are not leaving. Hence, most only apply to California programs for fellowships. California or bust.

Last year's class: 2 Pain (USC), 3 Cardiac (MGH, USC, Cedars), 2 Regional (USC), 2 Critical Care (Mt Sinai, Miami), 1 Peds (CHLA), 1 OB (Cedars)
This year's class: 2 Pain (UCLA, USC), 1 Cardiac (USC), 4 Regional (USC), 2 OB (Stanford, UCSD), 1 Peds (CHLA)

Evaluating fellowship match lists is a very inexact science. The MGH guy was a superstar but not a Chief Resident. The guy who scored the highest on the ITE all 3 years didn't do fellowship. He went into private practice. The girl who stayed at CHLA also interviewed at Hopkins and Boston. She chose CHLA. This year, the Regional fellowship had 100+ applicants. They interviewed zero people. 4 USC residents were interested, all 4 were accepted. One thing is clear, USC residents love USC and the fellowships love them back. Why? The Regional fellowship is a hybrid fellowship. You are a fellow and an attending. 50% fellow doing blocks and 50% attending. No call or weekends as a fellow and you get paid 100K+. As an attending, you can take little or lots of call to supplement your income. That is why they all stay. Pain is a similar set-up. You can take anesthesia call to keep up your skills and supplement your income. Also, you only work one weekend a month. You are not slave labor, that is why they all stay.

Lol, USC is not weak in Regional or Cardiac. On average, we have 7-8 Ortho rooms running per day. 90% of those patients get blocks. This year, we have 3 residents and 1 fellow on Regional at all times. Still, we have so many blocks, that attendings often have to do blocks themselves because a resident is unavailable. Hence, next year, they are expanding to 4 Regional fellowship spots. On average, we have 3-4 Cardiac rooms running per day. Just Cardiac, Thoracic is separate. There are 3 residents on Cardiac at all times. Residents do their own cases. Fellows do their own cases. The Cardiac cases at USC are not your average CABGs and AVRs. They are the ones rejected by Cedars and Kaiser. 30-40% are redos. The Chairman of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Dr. Starnes, is often recognized as the best Cardiac Surgeon in California. He does all the Congenital Heart surgeries at CHLA and you often do his patients for redos as adults. His pump times rival many private Cardiac surgeons, I'm talking 45 minutes. You'll definitely meet your Peds numbers. At CHLA, you get relieved everyday at 3pm. If you want more Peds cases, no one will stop you from staying later.

Lol. When do you think groups offer contracts? Unless a group expands, the only way you break in is if someone else leaves. Groups will usually know their needs 6-9 months in advance. If they knew 1 year in advance, they would just hire someone from the previous class. Once again, the SoCal job market is extremely tight. For the last two years, USC has only hired fellowship trained attendings except for one USC resident. Why? Because there are tons of them. There are fellows training at 'top' programs and then wanting to live in SoCal. If private groups and Kaiser don't respond, they have to go academic.

There is no magical USC network. Going to USC does not automatically guarantee you a job. USC offers you opportunities. Opportunities to learn and opportunities to do complex cases. If you take advantage of those opportunities and become a superstar resident, word gets around. Next time a job opens, a faculty member may recommend you and ask you to apply. Many residents are also very picky. One guy from last year had to live near the beach. He refused most opportunities and in April of his CA-3 year, a spot opened up in Santa Monica. He is a lucky guy. In the classes of 2012-2014, 5 residents will have secured jobs in Hawaii. Yes, 2 of them have already interviewed as CA-2s. They are pretty awesome people. Hawaii is an island, there is one major group and then Kaiser. 5 residents in 3 years is not bad. I doubt many other programs could match that. The group is not doing anyone any favors. They have hired residents in the past that have proved themselves. At USC, you can become an expert in trauma, a prerequisite for the Hawaii job.

This.

Sorry to ride you hard Mikey. I was just trying to bring clarity to a very opaque process. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the post!

The bolded part: You make it sound like a very positive thing, but whether that is a truly a positive or not is to be determined by the individual. Therefore, I say that was a little extra. Like you mentioned in your fellowship paragraph, we all don't know the circumstances behind that. Maybe a lot of people could careless about living in Hawaii? I know that just sounded really ridiculous, but from personal experience, I'd rather live outside of Hawaii and visit for vacation than live in Hawaii. But who knows, maybe everyone wants those Hawaii jobs. :confused:

Anyway, thanks again for the post, and best of luck to everyone this week!

No offense taken. If I had seen this post a bit before rank list deadline I probably would have ranked them higher. I appreciate the time you took to clear up my questions. I'm sure that future classes will appreciate it as well.

Thanks again.

oops wrong year. Thanks POW16

Last edited: