2013 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Halfpast6

We will relocate after I graduate but we will start looking for housing ASAP. My SO could relocate earlier if we needed to for housing.

If I end up with choices it will be hard to choose. We have family near every location but we know some family will be able to help more than other family. We also like certain states better but we also have to consider tuition. All together the choice would not be easy so we will have to go with our gut and decide on the place that we feel would be most desirable to live and attend school.

Members don't see this ad.

For all those who will have to move away for school, when do you plan on relocating? And which factors are most important to you when determining where to go?

We are hoping to move mid-June because the kids get out of school the first week of June. We'd like to assimilate to the area as early as possible. For this reason, we have already taken a weekend trip to house hunt and have a contract with a contingency to sell our house first. Ours has been on the market just over a week. In an ideal world, both will close at the beginning of June, and we can get going!

We chose based on the friendliness of the students and people we spoke with in the area. I have seriously never seen anything like it (but then again, I've never lived very far outside a big city, so maybe it's not unusual). We felt that with the stress of the upcoming 4 years, we needed to be someplace where people are so willing to help out.

Are you sure moving is out of the question? I ask because we are in a similar situation. The job market where we are going is not promising at all. We are hoping for the best, but if we have to live off loans, that's what we will do. It will suck (3 kids and a mortgage, not to mention tuition!), but we wanted to be all together and in that area.

It's definitely something to think about since it sounds like you really want to be at UWisc. If necessary, you will be able to cover living expenses with loans, and you will be able to pay them back eventually.

All the advice I've heard over and over is to go where you'll be happy. :luck:

Hello all,

I've been following this thread for awhile and I am so inspired by all the people on this forum who are making it happen! You all are amazing :)

I am a re-applying (to MD, 1st time DO) applicant who spent 4 years teaching in a high-needs school after undergrad while earning my Masters in Science Ed.

I've interviewed at 2 DO Schools (LECOM and NYCOM) and 1 MD school (Wright State).

So far, I'm waitlisted at LECOM and waiting to hear from the other two.

3.4uGPA/3.2s/3.9grad, 27S (2008), 31R (2012) MCAT.

Hoping for some good fortune and that I can meet some of you inspiring people in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for awhile and I am so inspired by all the people on this forum who are making it happen! You all are amazing :)

I am a re-applying (to MD, 1st time DO) applicant who spent 4 years teaching in a high-needs school after undergrad while earning my Masters in Science Ed.

I've interviewed at 2 DO Schools (LECOM and NYCOM) and 1 MD school (Wright State).

So far, I'm waitlisted at LECOM and waiting to hear from the other two.

3.4uGPA/3.2s/3.9grad, 27S (2008), 31R (2012) MCAT.

Hoping for some good fortune and that I can meet some of you inspiring people in the fall!

Best of luck! :)

We are hoping to move mid-June because the kids get out of school the first week of June. We'd like to assimilate to the area as early as possible. For this reason, we have already taken a weekend trip to house hunt and have a contract with a contingency to sell our house first. Ours has been on the market just over a week. In an ideal world, both will close at the beginning of June, and we can get going!

We chose based on the friendliness of the students and people we spoke with in the area. I have seriously never seen anything like it (but then again, I've never lived very far outside a big city, so maybe it's not unusual). We felt that with the stress of the upcoming 4 years, we needed to be someplace where people are so willing to help out.

Are you sure moving is out of the question? I ask because we are in a similar situation. The job market where we are going is not promising at all. We are hoping for the best, but if we have to live off loans, that's what we will do. It will suck (3 kids and a mortgage, not to mention tuition!), but we wanted to be all together and in that area.

It's definitely something to think about since it sounds like you really want to be at UWisc. If necessary, you will be able to cover living expenses with loans, and you will be able to pay them back eventually.

All the advice I've heard over and over is to go where you'll be happy. :luck:

@Jas & Stolenbiscuit, I truly admire your courage and your family's commitment to pursuing your careers. Thank you for your feedback on my situation. @Jas, any good news from Campbell? :luck: @Stolenbiscuit, :eek: you have a house to sell and a buy, 3 kids and a husband to relocate, and a job to find this summer? :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I have entertained the idea of making SO quit his job and move to Wisc with me, but he and my daughter has a really good support system in Chicago because all our friends and relatives are here. Plus, it's taken him years to get back on his feet with career and now that he found one that pays him well and treats him well I feel like I am robbing him of that career because I think I can be happier at another school. UIC was my first choice and I was confident I could be happy there until UWisc blew me away on interview day. The situation wouldve been different if UW was my only acceptance but now that I have a good chance of staying with the family (I have professional, educational, and personal reasons for UIC to relocate me to Chicago...it'd be a crime if they didnt), I am leaning towards taking that chance at getting relocated. SO and I are going to second-look weekend in UW to finalize our decisions.

@halfpast6

I hope the location thing works out for you guys. As far as Campbell, I made the wait list, which is cool considering I knew I was essentially interviewing for a spot on the wait list. But my really good news was getting my first acceptance at Rocky Vista University!

So it is a huge relief to know I will never have to go thought this application process again. :)

So as of right now, I'm on two wait lists, one acceptance, and I will find out in about a week if I made a third wait list.

@Stolenbiscuit, :eek: you have a house to sell and a buy, 3 kids and a husband to relocate, and a job to find this summer? :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I have entertained the idea of making SO quit his job and move to Wisc with me, but he and my daughter has a really good support system in Chicago because all our friends and relatives are here. Plus, it's taken him years to get back on his feet with career and now that he found one that pays him well and treats him well I feel like I am robbing him of that career because I think I can be happier at another school. UIC was my first choice and I was confident I could be happy there until UWisc blew me away on interview day. The situation wouldve been different if UW was my only acceptance but now that I have a good chance of staying with the family (I have professional, educational, and personal reasons for UIC to relocate me to Chicago...it'd be a crime if they didnt), I am leaning towards taking that chance at getting relocated. SO and I are going to second-look weekend in UW to finalize our decisions.

Don't stress me out! It sounds like a lot when you put it like that. ;)

Best of luck with your decision! At the school I will be attending, there is an option to do the clinical years at 2 other locations; they almost always allow people tied with kids and jobs to stay, so hopefully UIC will do the same for you. :luck:

But my really good news was getting my first acceptance at Rocky Vista University!

:clap: Yeah! :highfive:

@halfpast6

I hope the location thing works out for you guys. As far as Campbell, I made the wait list, which is cool considering I knew I was essentially interviewing for a spot on the wait list. But my really good news was getting my first acceptance at Rocky Vista University!

So it is a huge relief to know I will never have to go thought this application process again. :)

So as of right now, I'm on two wait lists, one acceptance, and I will find out in about a week if I made a third wait list.

Congrats Jas! :thumbup:

Best of luck with your decision! At the school I will be attending, there is an option to do the clinical years at 2 other locations; they almost always allow people tied with kids and jobs to stay, so hopefully UIC will do the same for you. :luck:

Oh, Komenasaiiiiiii (sorry in Japanese) :oops:. Just wanted to point out how amazing that is! Thank you for your encouragement!

Oh, Komenasaiiiiiii (sorry in Japanese) :oops:. Just wanted to point out how amazing that is! Thank you for your encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad to see posts with stories similar to mine. I am non-trad and have to move with my husband. I have narrowed it down to four schools. Indiana University (Accepted - to satellite campus close to Chicago), Albert Einstein (MSTP- I'm on the waitlist could be on it till first week of June), UIC (MSTP - on waitlist could be on it until first week of June), and Ohio State (deferred - could be on it until July, need to take anatomy to satisfy pre-req).

Husband will need to find a new job ASAP, he is a bit older than me so he is at his career-prime right now and it is a good time for him to make the jump into his dream job, but he works in stocks/finance and needs to relocate to a city (NY or Chicago). My top school is Ohio State, I loved the school, the program, and the staff/faculty. However, Columbus doesn't offer the same opportunities for sig. other. :-( . I did like Indiana as well so I am thinking if I don't get into any other program to just plan on going to Indiana, I would be comfortable with that. It is tough though because if I was single I would just hold out for Ohio State, but since I am not I have to make some sacrifices and will have to make a final decision by the week of May 15 so that my husband could start interviewing and trying to get a job. It can take months to secure a job so we don't want to be paying for 2 separate homes, live apart for months, etc.

It's not easy, but it's worth it.... I think having the extra support from my significant other (financial/emotional/etc.) on my path to medicine has been a huge advantage :) I'm just torn between letting some schools go and thinking what could have been. I know it will work out just fine, but still :scared:

Hey Tadaaa I noticed you in the school-specific threads and didn't realize you we're nontrad. Congrats on the Indiana acceptance btw! I second your sentiments on not knowing where you will matriculated. When will the mstp programs let you know if you're considered for md? Bc I think your shot at these schools are pretty good and are prime career locations for your husband (at least for Chicago campus at uic)

Hi HalfPast6, thanks for looking into my MDApps :) I graduated in 2009 and married so I consider myself non-trad (as in not single/fresh out of school/). I know I'm not as seasoned as others but I'm getting there. I've been working for a bit over 2 years now, it won't be easy having $0 income, but it will be nice to be a student again !

I am happy to have been accepted to Indiana, they have a NW campus in Gary which is 35 min from Chicago. Not the best area, but feasible for my sig. other to commute to and from so my problems aren't so bad, the only thing is that I need to match into that campus and I haven't been assigned yet, it takes months. I hope to know by May, if that is the case I will most likely withdraw from Ohio State by May 15 and stick to Indiana it makes both of us at peace with the re-location. If Illinois decides to take me then I will be lucky to get to choose which school, but it won't be a problem if he's found a job since the school is in or close enough to Chicago. Would be hard to let go of AE MSTP if accepted, but I will think about it only if it actually happens.

Good luck to you as well!!!

Hi HalfPast6, thanks for looking into my MDApps :) I graduated in 2009 and married so I consider myself non-trad (as in not single/fresh out of school/). I know I'm not as seasoned as others but I'm getting there. I've been working for a bit over 2 years now, it won't be easy having $0 income, but it will be nice to be a student again !

I am happy to have been accepted to Indiana, they have a NW campus in Gary which is 35 min from Chicago. Not the best area, but feasible for my sig. other to commute to and from so my problems aren't so bad, the only thing is that I need to match into that campus and I haven't been assigned yet, it takes months. I hope to know by May, if that is the case I will most likely withdraw from Ohio State by May 15 and stick to Indiana it makes both of us at peace with the re-location. If Illinois decides to take me then I will be lucky to get to choose which school, but it won't be a problem if he's found a job since the school is in or close enough to Chicago. Would be hard to let go of AE MSTP if accepted, but I will think about it only if it actually happens.

Good luck to you as well!!!

I work near downtown Chicago and you're right about the easy commute from Gary. As a matter of fact, some Indiana residents at our workplace would never want to live in Chicago because the cost of living is much higher here. Regarding UIC, it also has the same problem since they also multiple campuses (so you're in the same position as Indiana). However, if you get into MSTP then you will certainly get the Chicago campus. It's tough to have to wait and see where you will go but hopefully you will find out before May 15. Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck! :luck:

First time posting in this thread. After four years of post-bacc, MCAT prep, EC gathering, a year off to work and get some money, and one poorly funded app season, I am amazed that I am potentially now only four months away from starting medical school at the ripe old age of 35.
:eek:

With working full-time and running a business, it took me longer than I would have liked to get my primary in but mid/late July isn't horrible, or so I was told. I paid for apps to 10 allopathic and 5 osteopathic schools. It took until the third week of September to get verified.

By then, I was discouraged by seeing all the interview invites everyone had and knowing I still had to get those secondaries done. You think I would have started on those early but I checked out mentally due to some financial issues and family drama. I finished the secondary to my state school and then started a new job and everything about med school took a back seat. I was out of money and out of energy.

In December, I had a heart-to-heart with my retired parents. They were shocked that I didn't have the money for secondaries and upset I hadn't told them. They gave me enough to get several applications completed, and give myself a shot. I picked my top four choices amongst the ones that had deadlines of Jan. 1 or later.

Out of 4 MD and 1 DO completed apps, I was offered two MD interviews. I have one wait list in hand and I will find out from the second school in a couple of weeks. (My interview was in mid-March.) My state school put me on a pre-interview hold and I was rejected from an OOS school post-secondary. I have been complete at the DO school for over two months and their deadline wasn't until March 1. No word at all from them.

Last edited:
@katiemaude. Which DO school?

I'm glad you have an acceptance in hand that's great!

I had originally intended to be applying to medical school two years ago at the age of 26 and starting at 27 but life got in the way so I ended up applying at 28 and now I get to start med school at the age of 29! When I was 26 I thought 29 was old, lol. Now I realize its really not old at all. Plenty of people I know that are in their 40s and they are changing careers or going back to school. They seem perfectly young enough to me but then I feel old when I'm around 18 year old undergrads.

I look forward to knowing the average age of medical students is approximately 24 and that doesn't seem so far of from 29 or 35 for that matter.

First time posting in this thread. After four years of post-bacc, MCAT prep, EC gathering, a year off to work and get some money, and one poorly funded app season, I am amazed that I am now only four months away from starting medical school at the ripe old age of 35.

With working full-time and running a business, it took me longer than I would have liked to get my primary in but mid/late July isn't horrible, or so I was told. I paid for apps to 10 allopathic and 5 osteopathic schools. It took until the third week of September to get verified.

By then, I was discouraged by seeing all the interview invites everyone had and knowing I still had to get those secondaries done. You think I would have started on those early but I checked out mentally due to some financial issues and family drama. I finished the secondary to my state school and then started a new job and everything about med school took a back seat. I was out of money and out of energy.

In December, I had a heart-to-heart with my retired parents. They were shocked that I didn't have the money for secondaries and upset I hadn't told them. They gave me enough to get several applications completed, and give myself a shot. I picked my top four choices amongst the ones that had deadlines of Jan. 1 or later.

Out of 4 MD and 1 DO completed apps, I was offered two MD interviews. I have one acceptance in hand and I will find out from the second school in a couple of weeks. (My interview was in mid-March.) My state school put me on a pre-interview hold and I was rejected from an OOS school post-secondary. I have been complete at the DO school for over two months and their deadline wasn't until March 1. No word at all from them, which is sad because they were actually my first choice.

The MD school that accepted me - which is also the least expensive school for me and the one closest to where I live now and to my support system - was a reach for me in terms of my MCAT score and GPA. I am shocked I got in considering that I finished the secondary in December. My post-bacc was done at a community college and they say on their website that they prefer that all prereqs be done at a four-year school. My interview was in February. I am only pointing this out to encourage anyone who is worried that is "too late" for them or who has insecurity about their app like I did.

Could I have had more interviews and more choices if I applied early? Probably. But all it takes is one acceptance. But please take my story as the way not to do it. It was nerve wracking as heck.

Congratulations on your acceptance to your best (was your top choice supposedly the top because it was most realistic?) choice Katie! I'm glad to hear that your dream school saw your potential through your hard work.

I am now only four months away from starting medical school at the ripe old age of 35.

I ended up applying at 28 and now I get to start med school at the age of 29!

Babies.... ;)
I am turning 37 in 2 weeks, and I will be starting school in August. I don't feel old. I am starting to freak out about it (wondering if I can keep up), but I don't think it's about my age. Just what I assume is the common "can I really do this?" stage. I definitely feel as though I will be able to better handle it now than when I was 22; I am considerably more organized and better at time-management, and I do believe that's where most of the desirable study skills lie right now.

Congrats katiemaude! :thumbup: I would have also done things differently, timing-wise, but what's done is done, and we are going to be doctors! Yeah!

They were all fantastic schools IMHO but ... It never occurred to me to be anti-DO. Still think the DO school is awesome although I haven't gotten an II from them

Last edited:
Nope, it was my top choice because of what I know about the school and location. I come from a state where DOs are everywhere and in top specialties. It never occurred to me to be anti-DO.

Yea, I had no idea there was so much anti-DO sentiments until I joined SDN. It didn't make a difference to me initially. (In fact, I prefer DOs holistic approach to medicine although MD & DO probably aren't that different anymore.) But after considering location, costs, and the fact that I wanted to practice abroad in the future (easier as an MD), I ended up applying to MD schools only.

As an update on my progress ladies & gentleman, UWisc just sent me a generous scholarship that I just can't refuse. I am ecstatic but it looks like my SO & daughter will have to drive hours in during weekends to see me. We will make this work! Thank you for all your inputs! :love:

As an update on my progress ladies & gentleman, UWisc just sent me a generous scholarship that I just can't refuse. I am ecstatic but it looks like my SO & daughter will have to drive hours in during weekends to see me. We will make this work! Thank you for all your inputs! :love:

That's great! I do wonder if being able to see each other every weekend isn't the best choice anyway? Our new home is too far away for that, but if it were closer, it seems as though it might be less distracting and more likely to make one stick to a schedule. I'm sure it will work out just as it's meant to. :)

That's great! I do wonder if being able to see each other every weekend isn't the best choice anyway? Our new home is too far away for that, but if it were closer, it seems as though it might be less distracting and more likely to make one stick to a schedule. I'm sure it will work out just as it's meant to. :)

I agree with this. Longest that I spent away from my daughter was 2 weeks (while on a mission trip) and she handled it pretty well (and she was a super clingy baby) because her father was proactive. Reflecting back on that trip has made this decision much easier.

Hi!

There hasn't been much activity on this thread, so I just wanted to say I've finally gotten into med school after starting the process in August 2008 (finding work in a hospital, going through premed, applying).

So if you're thinking about changing careers even in your 40's, there is hope.

I have to admit it's been hellish, so don't go in if you have any doubts. I had my 2013 AMCAS ready to submit before I got the call.

Feel free to PM for advice or support.

Hi!

There hasn't been much activity on this thread, so I just wanted to say I've finally gotten into med school after starting the process in August 2008 (finding work in a hospital, going through premed, applying).

So if you're thinking about changing careers even in your 40's, there is hope.

I have to admit it's been hellish, so don't go in if you have any doubts. I had my 2013 AMCAS ready to submit before I got the call.

Feel free to PM for advice or support.

Congratulations!!!

I'm sorry I didn't find the non-trad forum sooner. I guess I'm not a non-trad in the normal sense, as I changed paths right before I got my first degree. But I still had a story to tell on my applications, and I think that got me past my rather bleak GPA. I already see a lot of success stories here, which is awesome.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was premed for my first 2 years of undergrad but changed paths and decided to just finished out my degree. But now I'm fighting harder than ever to get into med school. My undergrad GPA was not that great either, but since then I have served in the Army and added an associates degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology, so I hope that some of my life experiences will really help my application stand out...

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was premed for my first 2 years of undergrad but changed paths and decided to just finished out my degree. But now I'm fighting harder than ever to get into med school. My undergrad GPA was not that great either, but since then I have served in the Army and added an associates degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology, so I hope that some of my life experiences will really help my application stand out...

It will, assuredly.

Hello SDN members!

This is my first post since joining. A little about myself for the Non-trad thread
31 years old
B.S. Criminal Justice
working for 6.5 years in Law Enforcement
went back to school a year ago for a career change

I have begun the long and narrow path to medical school. After 6.5 years in law enforcement it was time for a career change. I began taking classes at my local community college to meet the pre-requisites for nursing school. I had wanted to take the pre-med route but my wife's job had us in a city with no medical school closer than 2 hours away.....so my goal was upper level nursing (NP or CRNA).

Then my wife got a transfer to Seattle. The prospect of medical school now was a reality. UW medicine was now in my back yard. Being that this and PNWU are the only options for med school I truly do have to put all my eggs in one basket.

I have a pretty weak undergrad GPA that I am working on shoring up. (2.75 GPA from Appalachian State University)
My current GPA after taking 4 classes (including anatomy and physiology 1&2 and developmental psych) is a 4.0. Chem, Physics, and more upper level Bio classes are planned.

I am hoping that my record of vastly improved academics, work history in public service, as well as my past volunteering experience (Eagle Scout and volunteer firefighter) will be enough to push me over the top for acceptance. If not then no harm done, I will still continue pursuing nursing.

I will periodically update my progress. Good luck to all Non-traditional students making the jump into one of the toughest yet rewarding careers!!

Accepted by CWRU (University Program)! Hooray!
I know this thread is really old but I am considering going to med school and I am non trad. I want to go to Case because I live in Cleveland. I am wondering did you end up at Case and if so how do you like it. How many hours do you have to spend in class and studying. Are you in rotations yet?