2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that are having issues with their FMS application, I feel your pain, i've been going through the same thing.

I was able to contact an official and ask her about the problem. She checked for me and said that my name had been submitted to HR that they were processing my forms, and that I should receive my official offer in about "2 weeks or so." She also informed me that the tech team was informed to deal with my FMS issues.

Look out for a call or email in about two weeks from the CDC with your offer!

Take Care.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much! If you have housing suggestions I would love to hear them or even just general information about the area! Im debating selecting housing before i have to leave in 3 weeks (YIKES) or just getting a hotel while i look around a few days once i arrive. Im thinking below $800 is most ideal for rent. $725 is perf.
Would you like to talk by phone? We may be able to do some business together. Call me 505 352 -9979

The CDC official that contacted me about the unofficial offer said transcripts were due by July 1st, but did not know where to send them. She said HR would let us know.

Does anyone know when/where we need to send our official transcripts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if PHAP offers retirement benefits?

Hi Everyone!

Still wondering if anyone is headed to Minneapolis or leaving Minnesota for another location? Congrats to everyone so far!!!
Leaving Minnesota (Twin Cities), was placed in California. Super rad!

are they done sending out offers? if so i dont think i was selected but i'm not surprised since my interview was quick. i'm not that heartbroken though since i'll be going to hopkins for grad school. congrats to those who have gotten good news!

The CDC official that contacted me about the unofficial offer said transcripts were due by July 1st, but did not know where to send them. She said HR would let us know.

Does anyone know when/where we need to send our official transcripts?

Aren't we supposed to bring them to orientation?

Aren't we supposed to bring them to orientation?

I didn't think so. The woman that called me to give me the unofficial offer made it seem like we had to send them in the mail by July 1st...so I'm not sure! I've called the office to ask, but left a message. Either way, I'm sure it will be fine and if HR is missing something or needs something ASAP they will contact us.

I don't think anyone has heard from HR with an official offer yet. Hopefully soon! I'm sure they're extremely busy processing forms, etc.

Hey has anyone else been placed in Ohio? I'm in Lima, OH which I hear is the sticks, but I could be in a cave and happy because I'm working for the CDC!!! I'm from the Columbus area so if anyone has any questions about anything in the Zanesville, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton areas I could be of assistance! Also, if anyone else was placed in Lima I would love to hear from you.

Congrats to all that have heard so far, and to those who haven't still keep hope alive. I gave up hope last Friday after not hearing and seeing many others had been made offers, and when I got the call on Wednesday it made it all the sweeter!:)

Hey has anyone else been placed in Ohio? I'm in Lima, OH which I hear is the sticks, but I could be in a cave and happy because I'm working for the CDC!!! I'm from the Columbus area so if anyone has any questions about anything in the Zanesville, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton areas I could be of assistance! Also, if anyone else was placed in Lima I would love to hear from you.

Congrats to all that have heard so far, and to those who haven't still keep hope alive. I gave up hope last Friday after not hearing and seeing many others had been made offers, and when I got the call on Wednesday it made it all the sweeter!:)
Hi
I was placed in Batavia OH. I do not know anybody over there. Any suggestions?

I didn't think so. The woman that called me to give me the unofficial offer made it seem like we had to send them in the mail by July 1st...so I'm not sure! I've called the office to ask, but left a message. Either way, I'm sure it will be fine and if HR is missing something or needs something ASAP they will contact us.

I don't think anyone has heard from HR with an official offer yet. Hopefully soon! I'm sure they're extremely busy processing forms, etc.

So I wasn't told about sending in transcripts by the person who contacted me from CDC, which is really wierd. I also didn't see any info on the fms website. I'm glad it was brought up tho. I guess I should try to contact them as well.

Leaving Minnesota (Twin Cities), was placed in California. Super rad!

Awesome! Good luck out in Cali! Has anyone been placed in Minnesota? I know the area and can help answer any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)

I got placed in Columbus and would love any info you have on the area! I'm from the NW and have zero connections there. Also, if anyone needs any info on Washington, specifically the Seattle area I'd love to help.

Hi
I was placed in Batavia OH. I do not know anybody over there. Any suggestions?

I got placed in Columbus and would love any info you have on the area! I'm from the NW and have zero connections there. Also, if anyone needs any info on Washington, specifically the Seattle area I'd love to help.

Hi,

I've only been to Columbus a couple of times but my sister and brother-in-law lived there for several years. They moved back to WA a few months ago (we're all originally WA natives too). If you have any questions about apartment complexes or dodgy parts of town I'd be happy to ask them. I can tell you that they do miss the cheap rent in Columbus. There are a lot of rental options due to the large student population. It's a nice town, I think you'll like it there.

Last edited:

I got placed in Columbus too! :) :thumbup: I was originally placed in Lima, OH but got the offer to switch last week and did. Not to familiar with the area either but the olympic weightlifting gym I was planning to train at is in Columbus, which makes the drive a lot easier. I was planning on making the trip out there 3x a week, :eek: from the Lima area, which would be so much driving (at least for me).

I got placed at Columbus Public Health. Were you placed there as well?

Would you like to talk by phone? We may be able to do some business together. Call me 505 352 -9979

certainly! i took your number down and Ill give you a call in the coming days! It will be a 704 number! Thanks!

Just mailed my security deposit! This is becoming more and more real everyday!

Are any of yall on LinkedIn? It would be awesome to match some names with faces! :D

Yup, I'll be at Columbus Public Health too! Glad to know there will be another associate.

Would someone be kind enough to post once they get official paperwork from HR? I'd just like to know if I should resume pestering the PHAP office. :) Much thanks!

Would someone be kind enough to post once they get official paperwork from HR? I'd just like to know if I should resume pestering the PHAP office. :) Much thanks!

Yes please! I absolutely second this. Looking forward to meeting you all (if all goes well)!

Hey guys! Looking forward to meeting you all in Atlanta! Does anyone know anyone or anything about Iowa City? I was placed there and would like to hear more about it! Thanks! Good luck to everyone with their moving plans!

Just offered a position this morning at the Alachua County Health Department in Gainesville Florida around 10am.
I am speechless and extremely humbled. I am also lost as to what to do next..
Where do I accept?
Is anyone else going to be near there?
Any tips about Alachua county?
Any negatives about the place? I do know that it's near UF and there should be good apartment deals.
Any tips on apartments ?
The list of questions continues...
Any help would be awesome.
I am so excited . Hope to meet you after /if accept( gotta run all of this by my rents).

Thank you to all those who accepted early and said to not give up hope.

I was definitely moving on after last week ended.

Just offered a position this morning at the Alachua County Health Department in Gainesville Florida around 10am.
Where do I accept?
Any negatives about the place? I do know that it's near UF and there should be good apartment deals.
Any tips on apartments ?
I am so excited . Hope to meet you after /if accept( gotta run all of this by my rents).

Congrats! I got my call and later that day I received an email with instructions, but you accept via the spot where you listed your contact information at https://wwwn.cdc.gov/FMS/phap/app/

Just mailed my security deposit! This is becoming more and more real everyday!

Did you get in contact with your host site first before you got the apartment? I want to talk to them before doing that to see if they have recommendations...

Congrats! I got my call and later that day I received an email with instructions, but you accept via the spot where you listed your contact information at https://wwwn.cdc.gov/FMS/phap/app/

Did everyone get follow up emails? The supervisor that called me just told me to wait for HR and I didn't get a follow up email from him. I was told from a current PHAP that he's relatively new, though, so it's worrying me that he may have forgotten? I never saw an offer on FMS. :/

Did you get in contact with your host site first before you got the apartment? I want to talk to them before doing that to see if they have recommendations...

The emails we got said not to contact them. I talked EXTENSIVELY with landlords and even the local police station on where to live, what to avoid, what
s a good rental price, etc. I can't tell you how many hours I spent on the phone talking to locals and searching for apartments.

I know I'll be working in the city I got an apartment, so that kind of makes it easy. Once we get introduced to the people we'll be working with I think they'll help acclimate us.

Where do I accept?
Any tips on apartments ?

Super happy for you!! Question was the #that called you an ATL #??? I got a phone call today (10am Cali time) but I couldn't answer because I was working ....hummm I still am hopeful now I'm a bit worried but hopeful!!!

Anyways congrads!! Sure happy for you I'm sure you'll do an excellent job! My fellow 10% :)

Super happy for you!! Question was the #that called you an ATL #??? I got a phone call today (10am Cali time) but I couldn't answer because I was working ....hummm I still am hopeful now I'm a bit worried but hopeful!!!

Anyways congrads!! Sure happy for you I'm sure you'll do an excellent job! My fellow 10% :)

Yes it certainly was! And thanks for the kind words!
It's funny; I'm really excited about this opportunity. But now I feel as though there is a million challenges ahead.
I encourage you to stay in contact. I feel as though we will get along nicely.

I am shocked we are still going to start on the 29th... When some of us were just notified today ya kno? I don't even have my info email yet.
Best wishes about that call.. I am hoping it manifests for you!

Also is there anyone else stationed in or near Alachua County in Gainesville Florida?

Yes it certainly was! And thanks for the kind words!
It's funny; I'm really excited about this opportunity. But now I feel as though there is a million challenges ahead.
I encourage you to stay in contact. I feel as though we will get along nicely.

I am shocked we are still going to start on the 29th... When some of us were just notified today ya kno? I don't even have my info email yet.
Best wishes about that call.. I am hoping it manifests for you!

Also is there anyone else stationed in or near Alachua County in Gainesville Florida?

Thank you for the positive vibes!!

It would be great to keep in touch. Ill PM you my LinkedIn (I have a tendency to read all the articles when I can't sleep!) and email!

Even if I'm not selected I'd love to learn from you or any other fellows.
:)

I got offered a position in a state that I didn't even select. I told them I can't move at this time, he said, well I will put you down as declined.

I told him that I selected only 3 states in my vicinity and why wasn't I offered a position in those areas? He said "well they kind of just give you what they have"... :( :shrug:

I thanked him for the offer. Hopefully...something else will pop up.

I have some questions about the program before I relay my response in fms.

After this program, will I be eligible for my phd in Public Health? or do I need an mph still?

What concrete likelihood is there that I will be able to have a strong position in public health with a good salary ( gs-9 and/or above)right after I finish the program?

What do you all suggest about the housing situation since we are advised not to contact our host sites? And what do students normally do about housing when we haven't been fully informed on any in-depth details yet.

Between the first and second yr of the fellowship, is it possible to request to have my second year in Atlanta, as I am from there?

Is this commitment legally binding for 2 yrs?(i ask not because I ever quit but because I am just curious as to my freedom of decisions/life plans during this time).

How well known is this program to areas outside of the CDC? Is it considered something that will set me a part from those with a mph or masters equivalent in applying for future PH jobs.?

Are there any associates who pursued advanced degrees in public health law after the program and if so were they going for masters or doctorates? ( statistics are greatly appreciated).

Can you all put me in contact with those individuals?

What do i get after completion of the program and does it substitute my need for an mph if i want to work in the public health field, specifically in Medical ethics and Epidemiology with a concentration in Chronic diseases? And if not, what does it do for me positively?

What opportunities does the CDC provide associates upon their successful completion of this program?

If I had the opportunity to pursue a masters at the moment what would you advise ? The fellowship or the degree?

I am requested to response to my offer by tonight. If you could please respond sometime today , that would be very wonderful.!!
I am very interested in doing this, but I must be realistic and considerate of my family as well.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go for a phd program, but you will have to get your master's along the way within what ever program you choose.

After this program, can you go for phd programs in public health or do you need an mph still?

My call was a while ago, but it was a Sunday morning from a Florida number. He said he was a PHAP supervisor, so I guess it was either his personal phone or he's actually out in Florida.. I would just call back every number that calls you, no matter the area code! :)

After weeks of waiting and actually I cried about this knowing I won't get it-- I finally got the call.
SF location but didn't specify where.
MONEY matters for me for the relocation even if I do move just at the outskirts of the city...

Input please of ideas where I may be assigned in SF... Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I was matched with Southwest Department of Health in Caldwell, Idaho, its about 25 miles from Boise, is anyone familiar with this area? Any tips would be awesome :)

Also, has anyone heard from HR yet? I am getting a little anxious, I still haven't given my two week notice, I want an official offer ya know what I mean?? And how are you all going about renting an apartment in another city, what websites are you using? So far I've only looked on craigslist, but sometimes they can be a little sketchy...

Congrats to everyone so far, can't wait to meet you at orientation!

My call was a while ago, but it was a Sunday morning from a Florida number. He said he was a PHAP supervisor, so I guess it was either his personal phone or he's actually out in Florida.. I would just call back every number that calls you, no matter the area code! :)

Thanks I called back on my lunch and it just went to a google # voicemail :( idk I just left a message ugh....gosh I really depend on email because I can check it while I work! Now I feel bad

Last edited:
Thanks I called back on my lunch and it just went to a google # voicemail :( idk I just left a message ugh....gosh I really depend on email because I can check it while I work! Now I feel bad
Hey don't worry too much about it, they're going to call you back. On the day I got the offer the supervisor and I kept missing each other because I was at work and couldn't pick up the phone, so don't worry too much, they will call you back! They know we're busy with work and stuff :)

I have some questions about the program before I relay my response in fms.

After this program, will I be eligible for my phd in Public Health? or do I need an mph still?

What concrete likelihood is there that I will be able to have a strong position in public health with a good salary ( gs-9 and/or above)right after I finish the program?

What do you all suggest about the housing situation since we are advised not to contact our host sites? And what do students normally do about housing when we haven't been fully informed on any in-depth details yet.

Between the first and second yr of the fellowship, is it possible to request to have my second year in Atlanta, as I am from there?

Is this commitment legally binding for 2 yrs?(i ask not because I ever quit but because I am just curious as to my freedom of decisions/life plans during this time).

How well known is this program to areas outside of the CDC? Is it considered something that will set me a part from those with a mph or masters equivalent in applying for future PH jobs.?

Are there any associates who pursued advanced degrees in public health law after the program and if so were they going for masters or doctorates? ( statistics are greatly appreciated).

Can you all put me in contact with those individuals?

What do i get after completion of the program and does it substitute my need for an mph if i want to work in the public health field, specifically in Medical ethics and Epidemiology with a concentration in Chronic diseases? And if not, what does it do for me positively?

What opportunities does the CDC provide associates upon their successful completion of this program?

If I had the opportunity to pursue a masters at the moment what would you advise ? The fellowship or the degree?

I am requested to response to my offer by tonight. If you could please respond sometime today , that would be very wonderful.!!
I am very interested in doing this, but I must be realistic and considerate of my family as well.

Thank you
I think this program is really worth the sacrifice of relocating because while school is needed for what you want to do, a lot of MPH programs require real world experience, and also, just for your own personal and professional development this opportunity is well worth it

Hey don't worry too much about it, they're going to call you back. On the day I got the offer the supervisor and I kept missing each other because I was at work and couldn't pick up the phone, so don't worry too much, they will call you back! They know we're busy with work and stuff :)

Thanks so much... I hope so. What will be will be I guess! Either way I have to keep it positive. If I'm selected or not I love the support on here!

I wish you the best during your fellowship by the way!

After weeks of waiting and actually I cried about this knowing I won't get it-- I finally got the call.
SF location but didn't specify where.
MONEY matters for me for the relocation even if I do move just at the outskirts of the city...

Input please of ideas where I may be assigned in SF... Thank you!

A lot of my friends from college that ended up working in SF live in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, Hawyward, etc). It's cheaper and the BART system makes it a commute where you can zone out or take a nap for the half hour. It's not uncommon for working professionals to be thrown together as roommates to split the cost if you're looking to live in the city (SF) so I'm sure you'll find something that suits you! :)

As for where, most likely in the downtown area. Look up the city/county health department (one in the same). There are a lot of smaller health agencies around due to the diversity of the city's population so there could be a few other options as well.

obraumuller:

You might be eligible for a PhD program, but then again you might not. Depends on which program you apply to and what your academic qualifications are. Much more likely that you could skip the MPH portion of a program if you already have a professional level degree: RN, MD, etc.

Zero guarantee of a federal job at any level after the program. You'll eventually get a job somewhere. What constitutes decent pay is totally up to you. I think GS9 equivalent pay outside the federal govt in a nonsupervisory position is extremely optimistic. I have 10+ years of experience a public health supervisor. I've had an interview to be a county health director where the starting salary range was $91-106K: the county had a nuclear reactor and I would have been responsible for the emergency management plan. That reactor ended up having a minor incident last year. I've also had interviews for similar non-potential nuclear disaster jobs where the salary was only $51-65K. GS9 in most of the US is about $50,000. So if that's all the agency director is getting paid in some locations, the other people working there are getting paid a whole lot less.

I'm not doing anything about housing until if/when I show up at the host site. There's absolutely no way I would rent anything sight unseen: disaster waiting to happen. It seems like half the litigants on Judge Judy/Mathis/Joe Brown rented their apartment/found roommates on Craigslist without the necessary due diligence. Not gonna be me:shrug:

You are at the host site for the entire two years; you can't transfer.

There's usually a 1 year service commitment with a federal agency if they pay for your moving expenses or give you a signing bonus. Since CDC isn't offering any of this, you should be free to leave at any time if you decide the job isn't for you.

I don't know how well known the PHAP program is. But having been a CDC employee makes you stand out in the public health job market. At the end of the program, you get to say that you worked for the CDC: that is all.

You can definitely work in public health without a graduate degree. However, If you want to be a supervisor, you will probably have to get a MPH. It's been a mandatory/preferred qualification for almost every job I have ever even considered applying for.

If I were younger and just out of undergrad, taking the fellowship would be a no-brainer for me: graduate school is still going to be around in 5-15 years. You could also work on the master's and do PHAP at the same time, although I don't know where you would get the tuition money. Spoken as the single, childless person that I am: I don't really have the needs/wants of other people influencing my decisions. What works for you might be totally different.

So glad to hear that people are still hearing back from PHAP!

I'm personally very disappointed to have not heard anything back yet. I know that it is a very competitive program, but I really thought my phone interview went really well (lasted about an hour, my contact was really friendly and engaging and it was really fun answering the situational questions). I just finished my BS in Health Studies and Biological Anthropology, and I have a pretty solid background in public health coursework, as well as experience doing research and workshop coordination for family health centers around campus, and 2 years of volunteer experience as a sexual health educator. I thought for sure I might have been placed on the waitlist, but so far, no news from PHAP.

It's a busy time for all of you right now, but if anybody who was accepted into the program right out of undergrad would be kind enough to give me advice on what I could do in the next year to make myself a more competitive candidate, I would really appreciate it!

Best of luck to you all with moving, and congrats once again!