2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we need to wear a suit everyday during the CDC orientation?/Dress code at our host sites?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received their official offer yet? I told them I needed it for housing purposes and still haven't received anything. Also, has anyone sent in their transcript? If so, what is the address? Thanks!

Has anyone received their official offer yet? I told them I needed it for housing purposes and still haven't received anything. Also, has anyone sent in their transcript? If so, what is the address? Thanks!

I haven't heard anything yet either.. And I haven't sent my transcript as I haven't received any more info or a request for it!

Fingers crossed that these offers will be on their way SOON!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything yet either.. And I haven't sent my transcript as I haven't received any more info or a request for it!

Fingers crossed that these offers will be on their way SOON!

I really don't understand why it's taking this long. If nothing else, I've definitely learned to increase my patience with this entire process!

I was just reminded that back in the class of 2011, someone got offered a position THREE DAYS before their orientation in Atlanta. No, I am not sending false hope... I'm sharing a fact.
In two weeks, we all begin our first day at our host sites.
In three weeks, we all meet in Atlanta!!!

Did anyone get their onboarding information today from the usa staffing office? I'm assuming this is the official offer but in my offer it has a different city than original my placement site...am I just reading this wrong??

Did anyone get their onboarding information today from the usa staffing office? I'm assuming this is the official offer but in my offer it has a different city than original my placement site...am I just reading this wrong??

Yup, I got that yesterday afternoon also. For me there's an attachment in the first email that's the official offer - it starts with "Congratulations! This confirms your selection for the position of Public Health Advisor, CDC Public Health Associate Program (PHAP) for Recent Graduates, GS-0685-5, step 01, full time, at the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support (OSTLTS)..." with my location and salary. If it has a different city than you were told, I would definitely contact them -- I'm sure it's just a mistake.

Interesting. My letter that was attached still says "tentatively selected" but lists the location, salary, etc.

Did you get a letter sent in the mail, or an email?

Going through the background check process now. Did anybody have to get fingerprinted?

Going through the background check process now. Did anybody have to get fingerprinted?

Everyone will go through fingerprinting. Well, eventually. I'm scheduled for one on Monday at a VA Center.

I'm going through the background check too, and yeah I sent in my fingerprints yesterday, I think it's part of the process so everyone was/will be fingerprinted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I accepted my FORMAL/OFFICIAL offer!!! WOO!!! All those fingerprints, the mounds of paperwork and forms, and emailing back and forth pays off! :)

Today I accepted my FORMAL/OFFICIAL offer!!! WOO!!! All those fingerprints, the mounds of paperwork and forms, and emailing back and forth pays off! :)

How long did it take you to receive the formal/ official offer letter after fingerprinting/background check?

Anyone confused with all the forms and applications they throw at you with the onboarding manager?
No? Just me?

Anyone confused with all the forms and applications they throw at you with the onboarding manager?
No? Just me?

I just finished mine but I realized it's 5pm EST so I don't think I'll have any reply from my HR till tomorrow. Once I filled out everything, I asked my HR which ones do I have to sign and submit to her, she listed the once she needed ASAP and some can be completed on our start date, July 29th.
Have your email open on another window and you can use it to "chat" with your HR when you have questions.

I just finished mine but I realized it's 5pm EST so I don't think I'll have any reply from my HR till tomorrow. Once I filled out everything, I asked my HR which ones do I have to sign and submit to her, she listed the once she needed ASAP and some can be completed on our start date, July 29th.
Have your email open on another window and you can use it to "chat" with your HR when you have questions.

Would you mind passing on that list? All my contact said was that most of the benefits can be handled at training. I'm more interested in what I should give attention to now, like getting that affidavit notarized and knowing where to send it and the agreement.

Thanks!

Is everyone's PHAP agreement that we need to turn in to HR blank? Does anyone know what the hours are for the work schedule? My HR contact isn't great about getting back to me with clear answers.

Is everyone's PHAP agreement that we need to turn in to HR blank? Does anyone know what the hours are for the work schedule? My HR contact isn't great about getting back to me with clear answers.

According to my HR contact, you need to have your affidavit, transcripts, 306, and a copy of your passport in.

Anyone know anything about this - what is the expected dress code for training/orientation?

No clue what'll be the dress code during the CDC orientation, but I'm leaning on business casual, at least (no blue jeans and flip flops, lol).
And regarding the host sites, I think that depends. Contact your supervisor/s and ask. My primary site is a clinic site so I have to adhere to full formal business wear yet, it may be different to some.

Anyone know anything about this - what is the expected dress code for training/orientation?

A current PHAP told me that the first couple days in Atlanta were business formal then the remaining were business casual.

Good morning everyone! Let's all have great day & week... Make that two weeks!!!

Is anyone (female) interested in sharing the hotel room as well as the cost? :idea:

Is anyone (female) interested in sharing the hotel room as well as the cost? :idea:

Not allowed, at least for any government travel that I've ever done. The government budgets for single occupancy. If someone decides to double up with you, one of you will pay out of pocket and never be reimbursed for the room, and maybe not even get your per diem allowance: have to have a lodging receipt in your name for the travel voucher to be processed.

How are people getting from the airport to the hotel? I see that there is a shuttle service that costs $50 for a round trip. Are other people taking that? Does anyone know how reimbursement works for that? Does that cost come out of the per diem or...?

How are people getting from the airport to the hotel? I see that there is a shuttle service that costs $50 for a round trip. Are other people taking that? Does anyone know how reimbursement works for that? Does that cost come out of the per diem or...?

According to my PHAP liaison, because I'll be taking a taxi to the airport & vice versa, ASK FOR RECEIPT. Also, food allowance is $56/day-- keep all receipt. If you don't use up the $56/day allowance, it does NOT rollover to the next day.
Receipt, receipt, receipt. That's what I was advised to do. See you soon, good luck!

Like, where is everyone?!? Come down to the pool! Lets figure out how we're going to spend our nights! Woo!

Hey PHAPers--

If anyone is interested in going for a run tomorrow morning, I'm looking to do 5-7 miles (I run at an 8-9min mile pace). I'll be in the lobby a bit after 6 am to go, I found some beautiful trails a half mile from our hotel!

Hi!

I'm actually a 2012 PHAP and my very best friend from college grew up and still lives in Tulare,CA (near Visalia.. and obviously in Tulare County!)

Let me know if you still have questions or if I can help at all!

I didn't receive a paycheck today :( Anyone else have this problem?

hey bananas1313! I'm placed in Visalia, CA. So far it's been ok. If you could get any information from your friend on what there is to do around here that would be great. I need friends! lol. I'm not a big clubber but I will go out every once in a while. I'm open to trying new things and meeting new people. Any help is great. Thanks!

"Hi!

I'm actually a 2012 PHAP and my very best friend from college grew up and still lives in Tulare,CA (near Visalia.. and obviously in Tulare County!)

Let me know if you still have questions or if I can help at all!"

Last edited:
Hello! I am thinking about applying for PHAP 2014 and I have a few questions; is there a drug screening? And I am also curious about how expensive it is to move yourself to the new location, did you have to dish out alot of money? And is the money they pay you enough to live and work comfortably? Any answers would be appreciated, thank you!!

Hi.

I actually applied last year and was selected after my interview. Anyone else from last yr thinking of giving it another go?

I did end up taking a temp position at the VA right after so hum maybe it'll help. And I moved across the country for a fellowship experience helps.
Moving can be costly but my position has housing so helped A LOT. My move wasn't PHAP related but still thought I would share; I moved from Los Angeles to PA.

Hi.

I actually applied last year and was selected after my interview. Anyone else from last yr thinking of giving it another go?

I did end up taking a temp position at the VA right after so hum maybe it'll help. And I moved across the country for a fellowship experience helps.
Moving can be costly but my position has housing so helped A LOT. My move wasn't PHAP related but still thought I would share; I moved from Los Angeles to PA.

Hi.

Hello,

I applied for the 2014 PHAP program. Already turned in my personal statement and contact details. I'm expecting to get a followup about an interview by mid may.

While I am waiting, I have actively been following both the 2013/2014 for any information that can increase my chances of being selected into the program. I was also wondering if someone can share some of the the interview questions they were asked.

Any assistance will be helpful as I remain positive for an interview.

What i was told was if i declined the location/site (not the program), i would be put onto the bottom of the wait list pool and there would be no guarantee that i would be offered another location/site. Based off my assumption there is a pool of final applicants that are being offered. If they decline site, they go back into pool for a chance at another site. So for 133 spots, maybe like 150-200 final pool in case some decline offer and they go down the list while trying to fill spots. Again, that's just my opinion/assumption so take it with a grain of salt.

Hi Member2134,

I was offered a PHAP position at a location I had not selected and was curious if you had anymore information on rejecting the site/location but not the program and the wait list. The woman from HR I spoke with told me the location was non-negotiable so I either accept the one offered or reject the fellowship. Thank you!

Hey!!! I actually got accepted and I am going to New Orleans as well and looking for a room mate!!! We should definitely link up.

Hello! I was just offered a position in New Orleans for the 2014 class! I am very excited to move to this city and start working in the health department. Do you have any advice as far as housing, living or neighborhoods in NOLA? PM me if you are willing to share any information.

All I can say is that this WHOLE process has been really stressful. From having to tell numerous people from January till last week that I've been in limbo with this fellowship was becoming daunting. But, patience and persistence pays off! Sounds like offers are still being made! My word of advice...dedicate LOTS of time to planning your move. It's consumed all my free time thus far...mostly the apartment part.

I'll be in Charleston, WV! Anyone else in the area? Probably not. Need at least one friend right off the bat. My friends back home are already sad I'm leaving :\

See most of you in Atlanta!

Hey, I'm in the 2014 PHAP class and was also placed in Charleston. Any info you can share? I've never been to Charleston and don't know much about it so if you have any tips about relocating there it'd be greatly appreciated!

I was placed in SF too! I'll be working in south san francisco. Have you found any places/areas that you are considering to stay?

Hi! Are you still in SF? I just unofficially accepted for a SF site for the 2014 class. I'd like to ask you a few questions if it is possible. Please let me know, thanks.

Hi i'm going to Austin Tx, anyone else going to that area?

Hi everyone,
i plan on applying for the 2018 cycle but will be studying abroad for a winter program in the middle of the January application. To save me some stress (since I won't have cell service all the time), can someone explain the school verification form? Is the form only accessible through the application? Is it mandatory/required and something that needs to be signed by our schools registrar? Does it need to be faxed by our school? Im still in school and graduate with my bachelors in May if that makes any difference. Thank you!!!!