2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What time are people setting their alarms for tomorrow morning? [doubtful Ill even sleep)... In other words, at what time, should one expect THE email?
Best of luck to all

ps- Are people posting where they matched on the forum?
pps- sorry if I am re-asking questions

I said this earlier, but I got my email at 7:15 AM CST last year. I just checked the exact time for you guys. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! Just wanted to say thank you to those of you who've so willingly shared your thoughts and feelings throughout this process. I haven't participated at all in this thread aside from sending my interview invitations/rejections to the person who started it. I'm often not sure of what convo is currently taking place, what questions have been asked, etc., but this thread has been HUGELY helpful to check in on for periodic validation. You guys have been so supportive and reassuring, not only to each other, but to the silent observers among us as well ;)

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Let the hourly countdown continue!

I want to echo everything that psyonthemind said. I haven't actively participated much beyond posing some sporadic questions and sending in my interview invites and rejections, but this forum has been a really valuable emotional resource for me. It's so comforting to hear from other people going through this stressful process. I've particularly appreciated seeing the range of people's experiences, from those who are anxiously applying for the second or third year in a row, to those who applied for the first time this year and got more interviews than they could actually attend. Thank you all for sharing.

Whatever happens tomorrow, I'll be wishing luck and peace of mind to all of you.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to echo everything that psyonthemind said. I haven't actively participated much beyond posing some sporadic questions and sending in my interview invites and rejections, but this forum has been a really valuable emotional resource for me. It's so comforting to hear from other people going through this stressful process. I've particularly appreciated seeing the range of people's experiences, from those who are anxiously applying for the second or third year in a row, to those who applied for the first time this year and got more interviews than they could actually attend. Thank you all for sharing.

Whatever happens tomorrow, I'll be wishing luck and peace of mind to all of you.

x2 :=|:-):

Reactions: 1 users

X3!

Thank you all so much for sharing this strange and exhausting experience with me. I have really appreciated having this forum as emotional support even though I haven't been a big participant.

I hope each of you matches somewhere perfect for you. I'm thinking of all of you and hopeful that we will each find the right path for us in the long term no matter what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
This forum has fostered the perfect environment for us to share our highs, lows, anxiety, food binges, relationship concerns, and thoughts on self-care. As we embark on the inevitable, I want to wish you guys/gals the best of luck tomorrow.

Here's to sharing favorable outcome stories!

Reactions: 4 users
X4.. my program DCT also warned us about SDN, but I've only found it to be a thoughtful, encouraging community. It's funny, given how interpersonal and self-reflective our field/my program is, how little I processed this internship experience within my program, and was able to gather so much support here. I hope to meet you all in person some day.

X4.. my program DCT also warned us about SDN, but I've only found it to be a thoughtful, encouraging community. It's funny, given how interpersonal and self-reflective our field/my program is, how little I processed this internship experience within my program, and was able to gather so much support here. I hope to meet you all in person some day.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I got very little support/dialogue from other students in my program. Some were people I only knew vaguely from a prior class and only ever saw at the internship gatherings. Some people tackled the process as loners. Some just did not share the same level of interest or excitement as me, and it was not fulfilling talking to them. The DCTs and faculty are nice, but they have a million other things going on and we barely crossed paths. Regardless of the naysayers, this community was invaluable to me. I needed an outlet to soak up information, talk to people who genuinely cared about applying to internship, and just have a beacon of stability in this process. Of course there are family, friends, and a partner who supported me but it really is not as fulfilling as talking with people who understand it and can speak the same language.

Now let's go out there and get 'em, team.:horns:

Wow, the anxiety is really setting in for me now.

I have a lot of indicators that I will have favorable outcomes, but the doubts are creeping in now. What if I don't match to my #1? Yes, I really liked my top several ranked sites. But if I'm honest, I'll be disappointed. What if I fudged up ranking and my top sites aren't all I thought they were cracked up to be? What if I don't match...again. What if my intern cohort hates my puns? Etc.

Clearly I need wine.

I have a lot of indicators that I will have favorable outcomes, but the doubts are creeping in now. What if I don't match to my #1? Yes, I really liked my top several ranked sites. But if I'm honest, I'll be disappointed. What if I fudged up ranking and my top sites aren't all I thought they were cracked up to be? What if I don't match...again. What if my intern cohort hates my puns? Etc.

Clearly I need wine.

I matched to my #9 site and it turned out absolutely fine. I like my internship site, my internship cohort gets along very well, and I got my first choice post-doc. :)

Reactions: 9 users
Good luck to everyone!! I hope you all match, you all deserve it. :) Just something to ponder, I think a lot of people go into Match Day expecting to either match to one of their top three sites, or to not match at all, simply based on the stats (I know I did!). If you match a little bit lower on your list than expected, you may feel quite surprised and/or upset. It's an emotional process, and once that email comes in, regardless of where you match, it takes some time to process everything. Maybe you matched to your #1 site but this means you have to move, or maybe you matched to your #12 site which you weren't expecting at all and you feel bummed out. After some time goes by, you'll realize you ended up where you were meant to be. A year from now, you may not even remember exactly how you ranked all of your sites (or more importantly, you won't care how you ranked them). I hope you all get some rest tonight (easier said than done, I know!), good luck. :)

Reactions: 6 users

Clearly I need wine.
I like puns. And wine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My program also warned us to stay away from SDN, but there is something very comforting knowing you can speak your mind re: the process on this forum. I might even call it, dare I say it, therapeutic. Who knows, I may have even competed with some SDN'rs for the same internship positions or met them during interviews. Weird right?

I matched to my #9 site and it turned out absolutely fine. I like my internship site, my internship cohort gets along very well, and I got my first choice post-doc. :)

Good luck to everyone!! I hope you all match, you all deserve it. :) Just something to ponder, I think a lot of people go into Match Day expecting to either match to one of their top three sites, or to not match at all, simply based on the stats (I know I did!). If you match a little bit lower on your list than expected, you may feel quite surprised and/or upset. It's an emotional process, and once that email comes in, regardless of where you match, it takes some time to process everything. Maybe you matched to your #1 site but this means you have to move, or maybe you matched to your #12 site which you weren't expecting at all and you feel bummed out. After some time goes by, you'll realize you ended up where you were meant to be. A year from now, you may not even remember exactly how you ranked all of your sites (or more importantly, you won't care how you ranked them). I hope you all get some rest tonight (easier said than done, I know!), good luck. :)

I matched at my #4 ranked site and struggled with how that made me feel, but the site was absolutely perfect for me and set me up for the career that I have now, and as I mentioned earlier on the thread, prepared me to be hired as a licensed psychologist at 2 of the 3 places that passed on me for internship.
I couldn't see the outcome of all this of course on Match Day and through the process. It was emotionally taxing, draining, and exhausting. Good luck to everyone tomorrow morning that you will get good news...and good luck getting any sleep :/

Reactions: 5 users
Alrighty lady's and gents, I'm logging off SDN for the night and opening up a bottle of Malbec and then listen to some classical tunes. If I don't log on tomorrow morning I pray that every single one of you matches, especially those like myself who didn't match in prior years. Cheers!

A little over 12 hours left! Good luck to everyone tomorrow morning! Try to get rest tonight (easier said than done, I know)!

I matched at my #4 ranked site and struggled with how that made me feel, but the site was absolutely perfect for me and set me up for the career that I have now, and as I mentioned earlier on the thread, prepared me to be hired as a licensed psychologist at 2 of the 3 places that passed on me for internship.
I couldn't see the outcome of all this of course on Match Day and through the process. It was emotionally taxing, draining, and exhausting. Good luck to everyone tomorrow morning that you will get good news...and good luck getting any sleep :/

cara susanna said: [URL='http://forums.studentdoctor.net/goto/post?id=16201733#post-16201733' said:
↑[/URL]
I matched to my #9 site and it turned out absolutely fine. I like my internship site, my internship cohort gets along very well, and I got my first choice post-doc. attachFull189533:/

It is SO important that candidates have information like this from those who have gone before. I also know folks who did not Match in round 1 but did in Match II and then went onto to a premier post-doc site. Try to trust the process and you are likely to love where you land even if it is unexpected.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-19_17-31-45.png
    upload_2015-2-19_17-31-45.png
    95 bytes · Views: 75
Just to add to my anxiety...does anyone know if the "not matched" emails are sent before the " matched" emails? Are do they all get sent at the same time?

It is SO important that candidates have information like this from those who have gone before. I also know folks who did not Match in round 1 but did in Match II and then went onto to a premier post-doc site. Try to trust the process and you are likely to love where you land even if it is unexpected.

Heck, I've known people who've not matched during their first attempt, matched to great sites the next year, and went onto amazing post doc and faculty positions. Whatever happens tomorrow, keep your collective heads up and remember that, even if you don;'t match, it's not the end and it doesn't mean that you're a bad candidate or a bad grad student. This process is horrid to be sure, but people do get through!

(I'll be taking a 9 hour exam tomorrow, and I'm so disappointed that I won't be able to find out our prac student's results until next week, tbh--I think I may be a tad too invested in all thing APPIC! ;) )

Good luck, everyone! May your emails be happy ones!

And if they aren't, well, I got an internship at an APA-accredited site that perfectly fit my interests in Phase III last year. Never give up hope because things can work out!

Just to add to my anxiety...does anyone know if the "not matched" emails are sent before the " matched" emails? Are do they all get sent at the same time?

From what I have seen, it SEEMS that the emails come in batches quickly, and the first batch SEEMS to include those that haven't matched. My not matching email arrived at 8:10 last year. Someone posted their match email arrived at 8:15. Last year I received my email (time wise) before anyone else in my program who matched. So anecdotally, yes, but only by a few minutes? Also my name (first and last) are in the middle of the alphabet so it seems like that doesn't dictate order of email receipt. And match number also didn't seem to play a role in my peers email order but who knows?

Someone posted they got their email at 8:09. Not sure if they matched but if so, then that might blow the theory out of the water.

From what I have seen, it SEEMS that the emails come in batches quickly, and the first batch SEEMS to include those that haven't matched. My not matching email arrived at 8:10 last year. Someone posted their match email arrived at 8:15. Last year I received my email (time wise) before anyone else in my program who matched. So anecdotally, yes, but only by a few minutes? Also my name (first and last) are in the middle of the alphabet so it seems like that doesn't dictate order of email receipt. And match number also didn't seem to play a role in my peers email order but who knows?

Someone posted they got their email at 8:09. Not sure if they matched but if so, then that might blow the theory out of the water.

The 8:09am was me. It was a "no match" email, so that's aligned with bad news being delivered first.

I am completely accepting and embracing a lack of sleep tonight. Just got back from happy hour drinks with friends, have a bunch of junk food to snack on and romantic comedies to eventually drift off to.. Good luck all, my warmest thoughts to everyone.

Good luck everyone! I hope each of you get the news you're hoping for but either way, tomorrow does not define your future. Life is bigger than internship although it likely doesn't feel like it right now.

So in the meantime, take care of yourself and remember that this process is the reason you feel crazy. You're not crazy. You're probably a pretty cool person. Now go back to telling your mom your ranking list for the 44th time and explaining to your father why you just can't "choose" where you want to go ;)

Last edited:
What an amazing community! Thanks to the veterans for encouragement and insight and to the 2014-2015 "virtual cohort" for sharing news, frustrations, and coping strategies. May 'the force' be with you all!

Reactions: 3 users
:idea: would be interesting to do a compilation of anxiety-related (and other) dreams about match....

Those posts about earlier emails associated with rejection have really made me nervous :( If I get an NMS email before 8:15 I'm goin to be bummed....

I know plenty of people who matched and received their emails around 7:30 cst last year.

Well I'm East coast....but I appreciate you wanting to assuage my anxiety :) I'm going for a run! Good luck everyone!!!

I know a girl who match last year who said she got her email at exactly 8:15 eastern time

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE.

I was able to sleep, but having a baby helps you sleep whenever you can despite being stressed. I, of course, had a dream that I received a "no match" email. BLARG. So happy for this process to be over very, very soon.

Just matched to my number 2 site! Thank God! Praying everyone else matches too and chin up if not, this was my 3rd go around.

Reactions: 22 users
Loving these results so far! Email came at 5:47am my time (MST)- and you better believe I woke my partner up!!!

Last edited:
Matched to my number 2. So excited! I got the email at 6:48 am CST.

Reactions: 15 users
Matched to my #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 19 users
No email yet... Nursing my baby, the only thing that makes me feel better at this point lol

Just for information my email came in at 5:52 (Mountain Standard). And this was after I literally had 6 back to back dreams of different places I would match to, half weren't even real places, lol.

Did not match. Didn't realize it would hurt this badly. Kept telling myself "itll be fine it's only an internship" but once i got that email i lost it...Trying to stay strong. Good luck to all.