2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have lurked and received laughs, vital information and solace from all of you.

I had to come out from the shadows to say thank you and may God Bless You SDN. I am from a FSPS that has yet to apply for accreditation and I MATCHED to my number 1 site, an APA accredited location that gives me a path to success regardless of the school's status!

Keep hope alive.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did not match. Didn't realize it would hurt this badly. Kept telling myself "itll be fine it's only an internship" but once i got that email i lost it...Trying to stay strong. Good luck to all.

I am so sorry. You won't be the only one today who experiences the bull**** that is this system, and it infuriates me what it does to great people and clinicians. I hope that you can recognize this and move towards your goals, past this day. Wishing you the best for phase II or wherever this takes you.

Reactions: 1 users
Did not match. Didn't realize it would hurt this badly. Kept telling myself "itll be fine it's only an internship" but once i got that email i lost it...Trying to stay strong. Good luck to all.
Trust me I have been where you are two times. I know it doesn't feel this way, but trust me when I tell you it is definitely the system! Please hang in there.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to my number 2! I am so excited, but also sad for the many great applicants who did not match. I was in your shoes last year and know how bad it stings. Please practice self-care. I am thinking of you, and please do not hesitate to PM me for support.

Reactions: 21 users
Well, I matched.

But it's at my #11. I can't believe it. I really thought I had a good shot at a least a few of the sites I ranked higher. I don't think this site is the best fit for me. I feel queasy.

I'm grateful to have matched. Believe me, I am. But I am experiencing some complicated, negative feelings right now.

Reactions: 7 users
Matched to my #1, and am very happy and relieved. Thinking about those of ya'll that got less-than-desirable results due to the messed up system. This has been the best means of support throughout this process.

Reactions: 11 users

I am so so sorry. I hope you find a good fit in phase 2!!

I MATCHED to my #2 site!!! Hurrayyyy!!

Reactions: 18 users
CONGRATULATIONS to all who MATCHED! I will celebrate on your behalf tonight!:banana:

For those who did not get favorable results, kick it into gear and start working on Phase II. FWIW my current internship site got about several AWESOME candidates in Phase II...so don't lose the faith now. Mourn the loss, and move on...you can do it! Phase II needs you to bring your confidence to the table.

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Last edited:
Matched to #2!!!! Got email at 4:51a pacific time. Way earlier then I was expecting it !!

Reactions: 10 users
I matched to my #5, mixed feelings but really grateful I got matched!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to my #2!!! Got the email at 4:48am PST, which mildly freaked me out based on what I'd read above.. I'll be moving to Illinois! If anyone else is, too, feel free to PM me!

round two is two hours away - stay strong and kill it. you'll match.

Matched to my #3!!! So excited!! And to all those who did not, it's the system that's broken...things will work out and I wish you all the best!!

For those of you who did not match, I'm sorry. As someone who went through it, it's truly a horrible feeling. My unsolicited advice for you would be to contact TD's for feedback. If you are going to do Phase II, you'll want to do this sooner rather than later. You can improve your chances and there is hope. Figure out what you were lacking in this year and make the most of the time you have before applications are due again. You can do it. Keep your chin up!

Matched to my number 3!! So excited to start the next chapter

Reactions: 8 users
I matched to my #2! I got the email at 7:53am (EST) and actually took a few seconds to open it because I was sure it was a no match based on what I'd read about the previous year. So grateful and so happy!

Reactions: 6 users
Did not match. On to phase two.

Just bummed about possibly taking an additional year. Really didn't want to do that.

Matched!! Feeling relieved and also excited and nervous. I just want to say how much I've really appreciated this community and the new friends I've made on this site. <3

Matched at my #2!! Email came in early (6:43am CST). Beyond thrilled. Congrats all and best of luck to those going into II

Reactions: 9 users
The Robley Rex Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Louisville, KY will be entering the Phase II match. This will be a fantastic opp for those great candidates who did not match in Phase I to apply for a quality (although very new) VA internship with a focus on telehealth and primary care psych. Rotations in Trauma/PTSD and Neuropsychology available as well. 3 spots will be available.

You can PM for more details or questions if you like.

I'm headed to the Boston VA! Who's going to be in my internship cohort?

Reactions: 3 users
You have to tell sites in phase 2 why you didn't think you matched? For reals lol?

I matched in Colorado. PM if you're there in case we're intern buddies!

I matched to my #2! I got the email at 7:53am (EST) and actually took a few seconds to open it because I was sure it was a no match based on what I'd read about the previous year. So grateful and so happy!
SAME HERE!

I was fortunate enough to get a positive email this morning. For those that did not: "things fall apart so other things can fall together"

Good luck and Best wishes to all!! See you on the post-doc thread! ;)

Reactions: 5 users
You have to tell sites in phase 2 why you didn't think you matched? For reals lol?
You don't have to tell them; they understand that strong candidates don't match given the imbalance--and if they are in Match II they are looking for you. But since they might ask why you think you didn't match you have an opportunity to have an answer that shows your resilience and ability to learn from process.

I am not sure I'd do this in an interview, but it could be a fair question to ask why they think they didn't fill. (e.g.: "I was surprised and glad to see you had openings; I don't think anyone prefers doing Match II." Gives them a chance to explain from their side what happens sometimes. It is a complex process and parties on both sides find themselves in Match II for complex reasons. And often have wonderful outcomes following on the disappointment.

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of people neglect to do this in their cover letters. Just a suggestion. Also, they neglect to do so by framing it in a positive way. This tells them that you did not match for factors outside of your control.

I dont think this is necessary or beneficial to an application cover letter. Its just speculation on your part. And we are well aware of the math in all this. No need to go on about it. I would much prefer the cover highlight your experierces, your goals, and why you are a fit at my site.

Matched to my #1!!! So excited to be returning to my home state and family after 5 years across the country!!

Successfully matched in Phase II last year (with 3x as many interviews as I had in Phase I) and I did not talk about why I didn't match in my cover letters. I was prepared to talk about it in interviews and to spin it as necessary, but it really only came up in two interviews if I recall correctly. Instead, I highlighted my experiences and my fit with the site at hand, and that seemed to work well for me. Best of luck! The good news: it goes by quick!

Matched at my first choice. OMG!!!!!!!!!! Beyond happy.

Congrats to all who matched and wishing lots of Phase II luck to those not matched yet.
If anyone is in a NorCal VA let me know!

Last edited:
Matched to my number 1!!!!! Congratulations to all of us for the hard work it took just to get to this point. If you didn't get the news you were hoping for this morning, I'm really sorry. Thank you to all of you on this forum for the support!

Reactions: 7 users
I matched as well and am EXTREMELY happy. I'm taking today to put things into perspective --- those who fostered my clinical growth vs those who hindered it, thinking about what the next phase of life looks life, thinking about so much! Regardless, though, I'm thinking POSITIVE thoughts.

Congrats to EVERYONE and let me state this to Phase II applicants --- my advisor encouraged me to NOT apply to a specific track, and oddly enough, I only applied to (and subsequently received interviews at) and matched at an amazing site with said track. DO NOT GIVE UP!

Last edited:
Matched. :whoa:To those who didn't, you are on my mind and in my heart, and I wish you the very best in Phase II. We are part of a community that suffers from this imbalance, match or no match.

Anyone want to make a Phase II thread? I'm curious for those of you who did Phase II are you able to update your hours? It seems like we're unable to but i'm confused as to why? I have so many more hours than I did when I applied for Phase 1.

Congrats to all who heard good news. I don't post often but I have kept up with this thread fairly often throughout the process. It has been incredibly helpful in normalizing all the complex emotions of this strange process.

I did not match. I am still processing it and trying to keep the "what/where did I go wrong?" thoughts at bay. What makes me most sad that I can't fully celebrate with my awesome peers in my program this morning. I'm hoping that by later today I will feel ok enough to do so. I had thought about what it might look like to go to phase II but really didn't expect it to hurt this bad on so many levels.

Matched in the upstate New York area. PM me if you matched at a site in that area!

Congrats to all who heard good news. I don't post often but I have kept up with this thread fairly often throughout the process. It has been incredibly helpful in normalizing all the complex emotions of this strange process.

I did not match. I am still processing it and trying to keep the "what/where did I go wrong?" thoughts at bay. What makes me most sad that I can't fully celebrate with my awesome peers in my program this morning. I'm hoping that by later today I will feel ok enough to do so. I had thought about what it might look like to go to phase II but really didn't expect it to hurt this bad on so many levels.
I feel the same way!! I can't believe it hurts this bad
Creating a Phase II Thread is an excellent idea but lots of matched people will not go there. Any ideas how to help Phase II? Thread, no thread, continue here???
Let's make a new thread! No clue how to make one though. I think it be good to have a place where we can ask each other questions.

Creating a Phase II Thread is an excellent idea but lots of matched people will not go there. Any ideas how to help Phase II? Thread, no thread, continue here???

I think usually phase II is in a separate thread so they can focus on it. I'm confused as to why matched people would be needed there? The unmatched folk are just as knowledgeable as the rest of us.

I did not match last year and felt that a lot of people who matched stopped by the thread to offer support and suggestions.

Anyone want to make a Phase II thread? I'm curious for those of you who did Phase II are you able to update your hours? It seems like we're unable to but i'm confused as to why? I have so many more hours than I did when I applied for Phase 1.

Childdoconeday,

The cutoff for hours on APPIC app is Nov 1, if you recall. There was a section for you to project how many more hours you would expect to accumulate from Nov 1 until the end of the training year. Thats why there is no need to update the hours for Phase II. An extra 100 or so contact hours really has negligible impact anyway.

I just thought people who did not match need concrete, clear suggestions as to what to do. They do not have to take all my suggestions, but it is better than simply making general, abstract comments in my opinion. Please offer unmatched candidates good solid concrete suggestions.

At this point, ANY POSITIVE COMMENTS will help anyone entering Phase II (vague or specific) because the big deal is not to be disheartened and lose you focus. This is a crappy system that puts you in an emotional roller coaster that ends up being a longer ride for those entering Phase II.

Off the top of my head, I think contacting site directors would be helpful (if they are responsive) but truth is, sometimes you do not have a clear indication of why you did not match this time around (sure, there could be better-suited candidates, but if you did not egregiously BOMB an interview, how would you know?). Possibly strengthening your essays (after a new set of eyes takes a look - I'd be happy to look an someone's essays if they PM me - I have some time this weekend), and perhaps getting stronger letters (suck it up, it's okay to feel down in the dumps..but this is where your genuine 'ego strength' *for those dynamic folks* is needed and go back to some of your letter writers and ask them to revise & strengthen...they want you to do well, as it is a reflection on them as well), and tailoring each and every single item to each Phase II site will help . When I applied last year in Phase I, all my materials were tailored specifically to each site...which showed that I was really vested in training at each site. I matched in Phase I, but I feel strongly for those stuck in the imbalance and want to support others as much as I can b/c truth is, this process sucks for some and is truly victorious for others.

And there are some awesome SDNers who matched in Phase II last year and even some who delayed one year b/c of the imbalance and matched this year...hopefully, they will share their pearls of wisdom, too.

Regardless, everyone have a great weekend...you did it! You got through it...now to be hopeful and move on to the next goal.:cool:

Last edited:
Well, I matched.

But it's at my #11. I can't believe it. I really thought I had a good shot at a least a few of the sites I ranked higher. I don't think this site is the best fit for me. I feel queasy.

I'm grateful to have matched. Believe me, I am. But I am experiencing some complicated, negative feelings right now.

I felt exactly like you did last year, and I know a few other SDNers who did as well. It's rough because it's so complicated--happiness mixed with sadness mixed with guilt, or at least that's how I would have described my feelings. Feel free to PM me if you need any support.

I did not match last year and went on the Phase II. I had several interviews in Phase II and did not match. However, on the post match vacancy there APA accredited spots that would be added due to additional funding etc. and I was pleased to get one of the those APA accredited spots in the post match vacancy . I am 8 months into my internship and I absolutely love it. This internship has been the best experience ever. So the point is, do not count yourself out!

I matched to my #1 site!!!! I am soooo excited about the program, but also I only got ONE interview out of 21 sites I applied to! I am a walking urban legend! It really only takes one!

Reactions: 26 users