2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+ UAB
+ UT San Antonio

*Alabama
UAB: Email (10/29), Interview (12/5,12/9)

*Arizona
Mayo Arizona: Email (10/27), Interview (1/6,1/9)

*Illinois
Northwestern Med-Derm: Call (10/22), Interview (11/19,1/7)

*Massachusetts
Tufts Medical Center Program: Email (10/22,1023), Interview (11/19,12/3)

*Michigan
Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State: ERAS (10/29), Interview (11/24, 12/5, 12/19, 1/5, 1/10)

*Minnesota
Mayo: ERAS (10/29), Interview (12/12, 12/15)
Minnesota Med-Derm: Email (10/23), Interview (12/4-5, 12/11-12)

*North Carolina
Wake Forest: Email (10/14,10/16), Interview (12/13,1/10)

*Pennsylvania
Geisinger health System: Email (10/20), Interview (12/8,12/15,1/5)

*Texas
A&M: Email (10/17), Interview (11/20, 12/4)
UTSA: Email (10/27), Interview (1/9, 1/16)

*Washington DC
Washington Hospital Center Program: Email (10/17), Interview (11/6)

* Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin: Email (10/7), Interview (10/28,11/1,11/18)

Members don't see this ad.

UNC invite via ERAS message on 10/29, interview dates are 12/5, 12/19, 1/16

It looks like last year Mayo Rochester had several more interview dates than listed so far. Anybody know if they typically send out multiple rounds of interview offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like last year Mayo Rochester had several more interview dates than listed so far. Anybody know if they typically send out multiple rounds of interview offers?

If you look at the 2012-2013 thread, you can see that the actually sent out a 1st wave on 10/30 and a second wave on 10/31. The ERAS message yesterday said, "Our current interview dates are Friday, December 12, 2014, and Monday, December 15, 2014..." so I am sure they will have more.

Wake Forest invite via ERAS message on 10/30, interview dates are 12/13 and 1/10

Also Geisinger and Mayo Arizona rejections via ERAS on 10/27 and 10/29 respectively

To whoever had the idea to change the color of daily status changes in the excel sheet, I think it's a brilliant idea. I'm really happy to see that people are updating it as info/invites/updates/rejections come out.

For everyone else, again, here is the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brKSTol3rq-RElnzwhoMCa9oUeD4EYbvjSYRM3Z9_8w/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Edit: actually, this is not what I though you were going to do: it looks terrible. Programs are no longer organized by state, and med-derm invites were added (ex Northwester, Minnesota) but the derm-only spots should still exist at the bottom becuase they haven't been sent yet

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else still not receive an invite or a rejection from Tufts? (It looks like they sent out a second round of rejections today)

Anyone else still not receive an invite or a rejection from Tufts? (It looks like they sent out a second round of rejections today)

Also haven't heard anything either way. I just assume we're on the alternate list.

Dartmouth interview invite via ERAS message on 10/31 interview dates are 12/5 and 12/19
MUSC interview invite via email on 10/31 interview date is 12/6

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any point when one should start worrying about not enough invites?

Is there any point when one should start worrying about not enough invites?

I'm assuming around Thanksgiving.

Besides, if you look at Charting Outcomes in the Match, last year, the mean number of contiguous ranks for people who matched was 8.9 (versus 3.8 for those who did not match). FYI, in the 2011 edition, the numbers were 9.0 and 3.1. Point is, derm is unlike other fields like radiology or primary care where applicants get 20+ interviews.

I'm assuming around Thanksgiving.

Besides, if you look at Charting Outcomes in the Match, last year, the mean number of contiguous ranks for people who matched was 8.9 (versus 3.8 for those who did not match). FYI, in the 2011 edition, the numbers were 9.0 and 3.1. Point is, derm is unlike other fields like radiology or primary care where applicants get 20+ interviews.
Yeah I have two but all last week only got two rejections and no invites. I'll keep waiting it out

Yeah I have two but all last week only got two rejections and no invites. I'll keep waiting it out
Don't sweat it. The majority of programs still have not sent out invites. Hang in there!

Most people I've talked have said...don't start worrying until after Thanksgiving.

If it makes you feel better. I have "0" interviews. Granted, I only applied to 60 programs (not all of them) and only 4 of the programs I applied to have given interviews (1 rejection, 3 nothing heard from). I'd be VERY happy if I had 2 interviews now. :)

Just curious. For whoever updated the Google Docs w/ an UCSF phone call. When was the phone call made (i.e. what date)? And was this for the regular program or the 2+2 program? Thanks!

I would love two interviews right about now... :/ I am getting really worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the question re: the UCSF call-- was it for internal candidates or ALL?

Sorry for the million questions...but for those that got a UTSW invite yesterday, was it for 2+2 research track only? Or did they give out 3 year invites as well? Thanks!

do most programs send out multiple waves, or should we assume if an invite has gone out and we haven't heard that that's it?

I can only say from my home program, but they def send out multiple waves

For those of us without any, is it reasonable to call a program to express continued interest? Or should I wait it out?

For those of us without any, is it reasonable to call a program to express continued interest? Or should I wait it out?
I don't think it will change anything. The only thing it will possibly do is piss them off. The only exception is someone at your home derm program calling over to the program in question.

University of Arizona interview invitation sent via ERAs. Interview dates are 11/21/14 and 12/05/14

Hypothetically speaking, if one were flying on a day when a program made phone calls for interviews... and thus you obviously couldn't pick up let alone have your phone register the call...does the program typically leave a voicemail? I guess what I'm tying to ask is...does the fact that UCSF derm contacted folks via phone yesterday (Nov 3, as per the list) and that I don't have a voicemail from them essentially mean I officially did not get the invitation? :(

Hypothetically speaking, if one were flying on a day when a program made phone calls for interviews... and thus you obviously couldn't pick up let alone have your phone register the call...does the program typically leave a voicemail? I guess what I'm tying to ask is...does the fact that UCSF derm contacted folks via phone yesterday (Nov 3, as per the list) and that I don't have a voicemail from them essentially mean I officially did not get the invitation? :(

Hi I'm new to the forum but an applicant this year. As discussed earlier, some schools seem to send invitations in waves so hang tight!

If it helps, UCSF and UTSW notifications I got were both for 2+2 track. Not internal.

Last edited:
The google doc also mentions that UCSF did call people for the 3 year program as well, just as an FYI. It's tracking good info in the notes section for more detail on who was invited and such.

+ Texas Tech Lubbock, via email on 11/5/14 for interview dates: 12/11, 12/18, 1/15

I don't think it will change anything. The only thing it will possibly do is piss them off. The only exception is someone at your home derm program calling over to the program in question.

I've had two papers accepted since submitting ERAS. Does updating programs with the status of these papers fall in the same category as sending a letter of interest (i.e. can only hurt you)?

I've had two papers accepted since submitting ERAS. Does updating programs with the status of these papers fall in the same category as sending a letter of interest (i.e. can only hurt you)?
I think that's in a different category as you're not requesting an interview, you're updating status on publications. Whether it will actually help in netting an interview is debatable - i.e. original manuscripts vs. review articles.

I think that's in a different category as you're not requesting an interview, you're updating status on publications. Whether it will actually help in netting an interview is debatable - i.e. original manuscripts vs. review articles.

Thanks for the reply. Is it best to send the email to the program coordinator or to the program director?

Can someone who got an interview at Iowa verify if the invites they sent out were for "physician only" or if they also sent invites for PGY-2 positions to begin in 2016? Also were you internal or otherwise? Thanks!

Just curious again. For UTSW, anyone receive an invite for the 3 year program? Or were these only 2+2?

Boston University email 11/7. Dates: January 14 & 21

Is anyone else starting to lose hope? I'm fortunate to have a few interviews from places that aren't my home or away programs, but it's still incredibly disheartening to be passed over repeatedly. Apparently having a good Step 1/2, AOA, and tons of research means jack ****. Does anyone else feel their lives would be easier if they had fallen in love with radiology or anesthesia instead?

Is anyone else starting to lose hope? I'm fortunate to have a few interviews from places that aren't my home or away programs, but it's still incredibly disheartening to be passed over repeatedly. Apparently having a good Step 1/2, AOA, and tons of research means jack ****. Does anyone else feel their lives would be easier if they had fallen in love with radiology or anesthesia instead?
Sorry, but it's still relatively early. Are you getting outright rejections or no responses? Keep scheduling those prelim (at places with a derm dept.) and transitional interviews.

Alcohol works very well during these times.

250+ step 1/2, AOA, research, 0 invites, 5 rejections here. Getting worried.

^ If it makes you feel better, I only have 2 interviews (1 home, 1 non-home) and didn't do any away rotations. I've only had 1 rejection so far, but it feels absolutely terrible. Also good Step scores, incredibly unique research, awesome letters, research year off, Top 10 institution. So, I would love to be in your position PatsyStone.

250+ step 1/2, AOA, research, 0 invites, 5 rejections here. Getting worried.
Was your research in Derm?

^ If it makes you feel better, I only have 2 interviews (1 home, 1 non-home) and didn't do any away rotations. I've only had 1 rejection so far, but it feels absolutely terrible. Also good Step scores, incredibly unique research, awesome letters, research year off, Top 10 institution. So, I would love to be in your position PatsyStone.
Why? I'm assuming your unique research is in derm.

Edit: Oops, I see you took a research year off in derm.

It's a frustrating time. If I recall the timeline, it's still early on overall. I still remember getting interview invites right when I was leaving home to head to my first Derm interview during the first or second week of December. I know the Deans letter comes out earlier and whatnot, but I believe the bulk of interviews still occur in January, and most of those invites get sent out in mid/late November and early December.

The whole process is stressful. An interview:rejection ratio of ~1:10 is pretty good. But if you apply to 100 programs, even that results in 90 rejections (or complete silence, which is essentially the same). High achievers aren't used to this kind of rejection.

Also, remember that you don't need a million interviews (although it helps calm you down if you do get a ton, I realize), and you'll almost certainly get less than your average applicant in IM or whatever.

Hang in there, guys.

something about that bothers me...it feels as if they are taking advantage of the competitive field by 'compelling' people to spend 3 years in academia. of course, applicants always have the option to not apply there.
If anything it seems more like a very desperate ploy to keep BU Derm residents on as faculty who normally wouldn't stay for whatever reason --- malignant faculty, poor facilities, bad politics, etc. Good dermatology programs don't have to do these tactics to keep residents on as faculty -- they either have good research facilities (for the more research oriented), good mentorship from senior faculty for younger faculty, etc. Residents WANT to stay. If you look at the website, it's not even a guarantee on their part so it's obvious even they are not completely committed to it. It's all a one-sided commitment.

I would NOT not apply to BU's derm program. I would however rank it dead last, however, if you have no interested in staying on as faculty. Matching at BU though is better than not matching at all.

For those interviewing at Texas Tech Lubbock, is anyone looking to trade their interview date? I am currently set on January 15th, but it's the same date as another interview, and they won't switch. :/ PM me if you are interested! I am ok with either December date. Thanks and good luck everyone!

For those interviewing at Texas Tech Lubbock, is anyone looking to trade their interview date? I am currently set on January 15th, but it's the same date as another interview, and they won't switch. :/ PM me if you are interested! I am ok with either December date. Thanks and good luck everyone!
And another reason why we all need to be patient... As more interviews are offered, there will be applicants who simply can't/won't attend them all, opening up spots to those who haven't heard anything or are on wait lists. Still a lot of time for movement!

But I wish you the best at getting your dates worked out int3rwebz!