2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What day are you coming to Pritzker? I can try to be at the multicultural breakfast 😛

Hey! 🙂 I'll be there September 30th! I love this school so much and the mission really drove me to apply here. I am also trying to learn more about the school; it would be great if you could share your experiences here.

Thank you!
 
II from Minnesota! That makes three II's. I know it's not my stats but i was super honest and humble in my primary and secondaries. Thought maybe i was a bit too honest on some points.

Gratz on the II from YALE and MINNESOTA!! I also received an invite from UMN and currently waiting back to hear about the date i was placed in. It'd be great to see other fellow SDN'ers on the trail!! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think i'd die if i started interviewing this week! Not enough time to prepare... (I have 5 II's). Congrats @elizabetts !

Edit: Good luck next week! Maybe check out the Harvard questions for specific types of interviews, i thought it was really helpful.
 
Last edited:
you guys are killing it already lol. I'm still doing secondaries and waiting on my sloth-like committee. ridiculous. not that I'm really expecting any MD II's anyway with my stats but... congrats to all!
 
you guys are killing it already lol. I'm still doing secondaries and waiting on my sloth-like committee. ridiculous. not that I'm really expecting any MD II's anyway with my stats but... congrats to all!

Get them submitted as soon as you can and good luck! Also, my stats do not make me stand out in any way. In fact, i'd say they won't keep me out but they won't get me in either. LizzyM 65+. I do believe though that i have other fine qualities that do make me stand out and i certainly made sure to let them know who i was and what i was passionate about. Don't think of this process as a stats game, start thinking of it as an opportunity to tell/show them why and how you'll be an amazing doctor.
 
Last edited:
Get them submitted as soon as you can and good luck! Also, my stats do not make me stand out in any way. In fact, i'd say they won't keep me out but they won't get me in either. LizzyM 65+. I do believe though that i have other fine qualities that do make me stand out and i certainly made sure to let them know who i was and what i was passionate about. Don't think of this process as a stats game, start thinking of it as an opportunity to tell/show them why and how you'll be an amazing doctor.

great advice, thank you! wishing continued success for you as well!
 
How many II do you guys have total? Everyone is doing great!

sitting at 5... got an II from Columbia this morning!

you guys are killing it already lol. I'm still doing secondaries and waiting on my sloth-like committee. ridiculous. not that I'm really expecting any MD II's anyway with my stats but... congrats to all!

i'm gonna repeat what Overanxious said... timing-wise, you're still perfectly fine. do your best with everything that's within your control, and then let it happen.
 
i'm gonna repeat what Overanxious said... timing-wise, you're still perfectly fine. do your best with everything that's within your control, and then let it happen.

lol the encouragement is so appreciated. this part of the forum is so much more supportive than the rest of SDN. I love you guys already hahaha
 
How's everyone prepping for interviews?

Basically just going over my application and trying to remember details from my ECs that would be interesting to add in person. Based on reviews from previous years, the schools I have IIs at are supposed to have pretty conversational interviews. I'm also reading a LOT of journals and research about developments in the field of medicine I want to go into.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's everyone prepping for interviews?

Not sure i'm going about it the right way but i've watched some JH videos on interviewing, read through Harvard's interview material, and Stanford suggestions. Lot's of off the wall questions but i feel it got me thinking in the right direction. 1. Current events...Ebola for example 2. Knowledge of medicine...healthcare reform 3. nailing down a concise statement on why i want to be a doctor and 4. odd ball questions and examples!
 
If your undergrad offers mock interviews, DO ONE. It seriously helped me figure out what I need to work on with my answers, and what kind of stories/experiences I should be prepared to talk about.
 
I COMPLETELY agree. I have 7 and I just know applying early was my godsend.
My first is at BU in a few weeks anxious, if it's before yours I'll give you the skinny about the day 😎
 
might end up seeing you guys at Boston! October 5 for me. Anyone else?

9 interviews, first one is tomorrow! Good luck to everyone interviewing this month.
 
might end up seeing you guys at Boston! October 5 for me. Anyone else?

9 interviews, first one is tomorrow! Good luck to everyone interviewing this month.

You are killing it! Good luck!

What? They do sat interviews? I would have taken that route if the option was available. Instead I'm doing Tufts oct 7th, Boston oct 8th, and Yale oct 10.
 
Hey! 🙂 I'll be there September 30th! I love this school so much and the mission really drove me to apply here. I am also trying to learn more about the school; it would be great if you could share your experiences here.

Thank you!

PM me any questions you have! And you should def request a host! We have some pretty cool URMs in the class if I do say so myself 😎
 
7! Based on my stats and advisors I would have never ever expected this many (or any really). Applying early (I would consider sending in secondaries now still early) has definitely put me at an advantage.

Congratulations everyone! We have made it thus far and I am pumped the acceptances everyone gets.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats everyone! So far I'm at 20. All spread out between now and December. Done with 2 and another 18 to go! Hopefully meet some of you guys on the trail.
 
You guys are doing excellent. My AMCAS is verified and my AACOMAS is still processing. I am retaking my MCAT on 9/18 due to a low MCAT score, but I have received a few secondaries (got a Drew/UCLA one last week). I hope to deliver good news here in the future.
 
I applied to 40 schools. Good stats with unique EC and being a non-trad. I wasn't expecting this at all to be honest. That's why I applied so broadly.
woow i could imagine the pain you went through writing all those secondaries! good job, and good luck on all your interviews!
 
woow i could imagine the pain you went through writing all those secondaries! good job, and good luck on all your interviews!

Thanks! It's really not too bad after a while. Many of the questions are very similar. My main complaint is all the money I spent and will spend lol
 
on AMCAS next to each school I applied to it has a "transcript deadline". does anyone know if this is typically the deadline for them to receive your LORs as well? I'm beginning to worry that my committee won't get it in before the early deadlines and I'll be out thousands of dollars. hopefully just neuroticism, but who knows.
 
on AMCAS next to each school I applied to it has a "transcript deadline". does anyone know if this is typically the deadline for them to receive your LORs as well? I'm beginning to worry that my committee won't get it in before the early deadlines and I'll be out thousands of dollars. hopefully just neuroticism, but who knows.
Transcript deadlines are usually with the primary applications. LOR are with the secondaries, I think you are fine!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad