2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love how business-like and calm you were when posting your ii on the school thread and freaking out here :) congrats!! I've really been rooting for you!!

Haha yeah. I was on SDN on my phone when the email notification popped up so it was only fitting. But, yeah I wanted to try to remain anonymous but that failed. And thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I entered this cycle with so much hope and it's all just turning into crushing feelings of inadequacy.

Reactions: 11 users
I really appreciate everyone's kind regards. Despite this being the panic thread, it has really allowed me to calm down a bit over the past month and realize there are others who are in a similar position and if it's meant to be it'll happen eventually.

I'm sooooo happy for you!!!! It's great to see someone get an interview for the first time. It seems like there's a group of people who are getting interviews and acceptances everywhere already and it's sort of soul crushing. It's awesome to see someone get an interview at this point in the cycle. Hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the three schools I have heard back from post II
1 defer until later meeting
2 waitlists.
I AM PANICKING HARDCORE. Still waiting on 2 post II decisions, although I suspect one won't be until March. Have 3 more interviews in January. Grateful for all the interviews but I just want a medical school to love me:(

2 waitlists.
I AM PANICKING HARDCORE. Still waiting on 2 post II decisions, although I suspect one won't be until March. Have 3 more interviews in January. Grateful for all the interviews but I just want a medical school to love me:(
Yo, you still got 8 II's. I understand your feelings of uncertainty and fear that the worse could happen, but right now, that's not very likely to happen. This isn't me trying to give you a sense of false optimism in order to comfort you. Your chances are already good just from your first 5 interviews, and you're in a position where your chances of admission are still in your control. Channel that panic into making sure you ace at least one of your last three interviews. There are a lot of people who would love to be in your position right now.

Now, in the timeless words of the almighty Taylor Swift, just "Shake it Off", because somewhere there's a medical school that has "A blank space, baby, and [they'll] write your name."

Reactions: 5 users
2 waitlists.
Dude even if you got 8 waitlists you'd be in fantastic shape lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Yo, you still got 8 II's. I understand your feelings of uncertainty and fear that the worse could happen, but right now, that's not very likely to happen. This isn't me trying to give you a sense of false optimism in order to comfort you. Your chances are already good just from your first 5 interviews, and you're in a position where your chances of admission are still in your control. Channel that panic into making sure you ace at least one of your last three interviews. There are a lot of people who would love to be in your position right now.

Now, in the timeless words of the almighty Taylor Swift, just "Shake it Off", because somewhere there's a medical school that has "A blank space, baby, and [they'll] write your name."

Thanks for the internet feels :) I know I'm very fortunate to have the interviews that I do and that it could definitely be worse. I probably just need the day to mope and then move on with my life :)

Got a hold and another rejection today. Felt like a punch to the stomach but I got up before the 10 count. Wooooo.

Well, I may have to turn in my panic card. I was accepted to PLFSOM today! There may be other places I'd choose over El Paso, but it sure beats not being a doctor!

Reactions: 15 users
So what's the word on II after December? I'm sitting on 13 schools who I haven't heard back from at all. Except to tell me my file is complete. From prior years has post-December been a game changer? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
So what's the word on II after December? I'm sitting on 13 schools who I haven't heard back from at all. Except to tell me my file is complete. From prior years has post-December been a game changer? Thanks in advance!
No news is better than bad news. It depends on the school. Some schools are close to done whereas some schools are only halfway through handing out II's. Hang tight!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3 more pre-II rejection emails. Merry Christmas!

Hello all, just wanted to share I received another II. So if you haven't heard anything back then don't give up hope.

Reactions: 13 users
I also got an II to my state MD school last week, which I had pretty much given up on!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I don't sense enough panic in this thread.

Guess I'll panic to compensate.
Beaker.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Do adcoms talk to each other?

I get this idea of a giant mailing list where they all post applicants they wish to blacklist.

Do adcoms talk to each other?

I get this idea of a giant mailing list where they all post applicants they wish to blacklist.

I know that the ones in Texas do. They see each other at different fairs at undergrad universities. And TMDSAS has an area where they can post about an unprofessional applicant, and the other adcom deans can see it. At least that's what I have been told :whistle:

Guys my family has finally gotten tired of my stressing. Expect to see me here more often

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get interviews? I can only find stats on what percent gets accepted

Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get interviews? I can only find stats on what percent gets accepted
Varies per school and depends on IS/OOS status. MSAR should have this data. # interviewed / # applications = % interviewed.

I'm hanging up my panic hat. Thank you all for your support - I couldn't have done it without the SDN community!

To those still panicking, hang in there!!!! I'm sending positive vibes and a lot of well-wishing your way!

Reactions: 14 users
I have yet to receive a single rejection or interview invite. Is this common? DID I EVEN APPLY?

I have yet to receive a single rejection or interview invite. Is this common? DID I EVEN APPLY?
It happens, many schools don't say anything for a while. When did you submit your secondaries? Numbers, ECs, where did you apply?

I chew my hat when I'm nervous. I need a new panic hat. Mine's already digested.

Looks like I probably have to wait until new years for any more news.

Submitted secondaries early September. Update time? I got a full-time scribe job, aced all my classes, am in Americorps now, and have more clinical volunteering.

image.jpg

Submitted secondaries early September. Update time? I got a full-time scribe job, aced all my classes, am in Americorps now, and have more clinical volunteering.

image.jpg
Haha true, I know n=1 but if it helps, I have a friend who submitted most of her secondaries around the same time as you and she has received 3 IIs over the last two weeks. Try to stay patient and maybe update after the break!

Finally heard from two of my state schools (unfortunately both rejections). At least now I now that someone is looking at my applications! Have yet to hear from a D.O. school (probably a better applicant for them).

Seeing how the past 2 weeks have gone, I'd rather hope schools aren't looking at my applications because then I won't get rejected. And if they continue to not look, then I can pursue legal action for breach of contract!

I will also be hanging up my panic hat.. First choice acceptance this afternoon! Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 18 users
Alright, 3 rejections to only 1 interview invite which I expected to here back from already and didn't. The panic is really starting to settle in now. Here's to hoping the rest of the schools I applied to send a couple Spring invites my way instead of just more meaningless status updates.

Reactions: 3 users
Alright, 3 rejections to only 1 interview invite which I expected to here back from already and didn't. The panic is really starting to settle in now. Here's to hoping the rest of the schools I applied to send a couple Spring invites my way instead of just more meaningless status updates.
+1... 3 rejections, 1 interview that resulted in WL. I'm thankful to have a WL at least, but I'm hoping to have a few more IIs in the new year!

Reactions: 2 users
am I the only one that can't fully enjoy the holidays because relatives keep asking: "so, where are you going next year?" I just want to know already! I hope the admissions committees come back happy from the holidays and send us all acceptances and interviews.

Reactions: 8 users
am I the only one that can't fully enjoy the holidays because relatives keep asking: "so, where are you going next year?" I just want to know already! I hope the admissions committees come back happy from the holidays and send us all acceptances and interviews.

+1

I just told them that schools tell me in May, as per standard protocol...haha

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like accepted applicants have to deal with this too, especially if we're still waiting to hear back from a few other top choices. I always have to explain that I'm not sure where I'll be next year, but that yes, I have been accepted, but I've only been accepted to one place, and yes, I would be very happy to go there but I'm still waiting on a few other places to contact me.

+2

Happy New Year, SDNers! We should pause our panic for tomorrow - all schools are closed!

I think I'm going to have to join you guys.. applied to about 14 schools and rejected at 2 and hold a 1. No interviews at all wtf?!?! And speaking about New Years.. about 10 min earlier I got a hold email from a DO school. I think I'm going to lose my mind soon

Here's my WAMC thread.. would love some feedback. I updated the first post. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...p-with-school-list-should-i-add-more.1067746/

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to join you guys.. applied to about 14 schools and rejected at 2 and hold a 1. No interviews at all wtf?!?! And speaking about New Years.. about 10 min earlier I got a hold email from a DO school. I think I'm going to lose my mind soon

Here's my WAMC thread.. would love some feedback. I updated the first post. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...p-with-school-list-should-i-add-more.1067746/

I'm in a similar situation but I'm still really hoping to hear back from DO schools, even though it's getting late for ii's.

My guess is that with stats like these we really had to apply in June/July to have a good shot. Whenever people say here "you're fine for all DO schools", it probably should have a caveat "if you apply early and broadly". DO schools are really selective as well and have their likes and dislikes. It seems you didn't apply to enough DO schools (I didn't either due to geographical constraints).

Do you have anything that would make you stand out? Or a story to tell?

The cycle is not over yet and you received very few rejections so there is still hope! In the meantime, I'm already thinking of improving my application for next cycle :(

I'm in a similar situation but I'm still really hoping to hear back from DO schools, even though it's getting late for ii's.

My guess is that with stats like these we really had to apply in June/July to have a good shot. Whenever people say here "you're fine for all DO schools", it probably should have a caveat "if you apply early and broadly". DO schools are really selective as well and have their likes and dislikes. It seems you didn't apply to enough DO schools (I didn't either due to geographical constraints).

Do you have anything that would make you stand out? Or a story to tell?

The cycle is not over yet and you received very few rejections so there is still hope! In the meantime, I'm already thinking of improving my application for next cycle :(

Yeah you're right, I only applied to few DO schools and they're all top heavy. Submitting secondaries in October didn't help either. My MD secondaries were all done late August/September. I was hoping to at least get some in-state love by now.

I def think my app is unique, and my PS did explain that. I'm afraid the rest of my app is a little too average along with my numbers. I'm going to start getting ready to apply to SMP's now, although I really hope I hear something soon.

But I just went to add more DO schools right now but AACOMAS won't let me??

Yeah you're right, I only applied to few DO schools and they're all top heavy. Submitting secondaries in October didn't help either. My MD secondaries were all done late August/September. I was hoping to at least get some in-state love by now.

I def think my app is unique, and my PS did explain that. I'm afraid the rest of my app is a little too average along with my numbers. I'm going to start getting ready to apply to SMP's now, although I really hope I hear something soon.

But I just went to add more DO schools right now but AACOMAS won't let me??

It doesn't look like you'll need SMP and they come with a high risk - if you don't do well, your chances of getting in will drop significantly. I think if you apply early and broadly next year, you should have a successful cycle. To my understanding, SMPs are mostly for people with very low uGPAs or other glaring deficiencies in their apps.

I added a school recently using AACOMAS and didn't have a problem. What exactly is happening when you click on "add schools"?

It doesn't look like you'll need SMP and they come with a high risk - if you don't do well, your chances of getting in will drop significantly. I think if you apply early and broadly next year, you should have a successful cycle. To my understanding, SMPs are mostly for people with very low uGPAs or other glaring deficiencies in their apps.

I added a school recently using AACOMAS and didn't have a problem. What exactly is happening when you click on "add schools"?

Yeah but I have been out of school for a year and a half already so really want to get back to that setting. I'm really hungry at this point so I'm confident I can succeed in any program. But you have a valid point.

It let's me check the schools I want but when I go to pay a message says that the app will open July 2015 and I should come back to submit. Have no idea why it's doing that