2014 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are people's thoughts on the different Cali programs outside of the big 3 (not including Stanford, UCSF, UCLA)?

Rank the following: UCSD, UCD, UCI, LLU, Cedars, USC, Harbor

Dude, this is easy. UCSD > UCD, UCI, LLU, Cedars, USC (all +/- same-ish level) >>>>>>>> Harbor

Members don't see this ad.

Rank these NY/NJ programs: St Lukes-Roosevelt, Downstate, St. Barnabas, St. Josephs

Dude, this is easy. UCSD > UCD, UCI, LLU, Cedars, USC (all +/- same-ish level) >>>>>>>> Harbor
I don't think I put all of those as equal but I would really like to hear what people think.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have my top 3 places in mind. My #1 isn't going to change. I'm ranking my #2 program just based on location and program in general. I rotated in my #3 program and probably have a better chance in matching there. My #2 program is way more competetive to get into compared to my #3 program. I'm wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot if I I don't match for #1,#2 but could have matched for #3 if I ranked it as #2 instead. Any thoughts ? Is that how the match works?

I interviewed at every Cali program except harbor, USC, and Davis. I think which program you like most is a very personal decision and changes depending on your career goals. I have the Cali programs ranked "out of order" compared to what most on here would say to do. Make your own decisions...

I agree that one should make their own decisions. But this person was asking for an opinion and I provided mine. I feel that what I wrote is the general consensus, and that the conglomerate in the middle is dependent on each individual.

Anyways, thoughts on Miami/JMH vs UVA?

where do you guys feel UW stands ie who are its similar caliber peers?

It's a big program with a "work hard, play hard" attitude (which was printed on the front of their recruitment pamphlet last year) in a nice urban location -- I would say the overall feel of the program was most similar to Northwestern or Penn with a Pacific Northwest flare.

At the recruitment dinner residents a recurring theme was that most residents weren't aware before they entered the program that a large proportion of the faculty did not train in the US. Some people viewed that as a negative ("I'm training to take the US boards") to positive ("learning different ways of doing things"..."recruited worldwide for research potential"). But overall seemed strong, and I've also heard very good things about their PD.

Would love any help or additional insight in ranking these programs: Brigham, Mt Sinai, Cornell, Stanford and U Washington.

For me NYC >> Seattle > Boston > Palo Alto, in terms of location.

For where I felt was the best "fit" was Brigham = Mt Sinai > Cornell > Stanford > UW.

And for (my) perceived best training + reputation, I felt Brigham = Stanford > Sinai > UW > Cornell.

I'm just having a really hard time figuring out how to prioritize these competing factors given I really liked all 5 above.

Anyone have anything to add to help a girl out in making my rank list?

Thanks! =)

Would love any help or additional insight in ranking these programs: Brigham, Mt Sinai, Cornell, Stanford and U Washington.

For where I felt was the best "fit" was Brigham = Mt Sinai > Cornell > Stanford > UW.

And for (my) perceived best training + reputation, I felt Brigham = Stanford > Sinai > UW > Cornell.

I'm just having a really hard time figuring out how to prioritize these competing factors given I really liked all 5 above.

Thanks! =)

If I had the same preferences as you did, it seems like Sinai and Brigham would be my 1 and 2, then you'd have to decide reputation vs. location -... then UW then Stanford vs. Cornell - question being can stomach being in Palo Alto and how important is your perceived reputation of the programs? - Just a side note, I loved Brigham as well!

Thanks! =)

This really depends on how you weight the factors. You could do this mathematically, weighting each factor and each school for each factor, then looking at the ordering. Say each factor is equally weighted (1), and each school is given a 1-4 score per factor. So your scoring could be:

<school> <location> <fit> <rep>
Brigham 2 4 4
Sinai 4 4 3
Cornell 4 3 1
Stanford 1 2 4
UW 2 1 2

So overall ranked list by weighted score is:
Sinai 11
Brigham 10
Cornell 8
Stanford 7
UW 5

That actually matches my gut feeling list I did before doing the math. You can fiddle with the factor weights or school scores as you see fit, but I think the list above is a good starting place.

Also, depending on what you want to do afterwards (i.e., PP vs academia), reputation might not be that much of a factor. You'll obviously be well trained at any of these schools.

Edit: This seems to match step213's list as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that you all are making this too complicated. First, if you work 50-60 hours per week with one call weekend per month then don't fret about minor differences in workload. Second, chose a program in the region you want to commit to long term. Third, if you're not sure or don't care where you work after residency chose a program with faculty from diverse training programs and one that has a widespread alumni network -- the connections will serve you well. Fourth, look at MGMA data regarding regional income differences and let that guide you if you're all about the benjamins.

Thanks! =)

Seems like Brigham > Stanford > Sinai > Cornell > UW

Give preference to Sinai if you really want to be in NYC?

How about ranking these programs: NYU, BID, Yale, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern

Interested in academics but not sure yet what area exactly.

Academics/research wise seems like Duke and Michigan are the best options?

Location wise, I like NYU, BID and Northwestern but not sure if it's as important for me?

Liked all these programs and now can't decide. What do y'all think??

What are folks' thoughts on OHSU? I'm surprised nobody has really mentioned it yet.In terms of reputation and quality of training mostly... It was one of my favorites but isn't quite the"name"of my other top choices and I'm wondering if that even matters. Thinking of a career in academics / education and likely fellowship in critical care. Thanks!

How about ranking these programs: NYU, BID, Yale, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern

Interested in academics but not sure yet what area exactly.

Academics/research wise seems like Duke and Michigan are the best options?

Location wise, I like NYU, BID and Northwestern but not sure if it's as important for me?

Liked all these programs and now can't decide. What do y'all think??

I would rank them like this:
1-2. NYU vs. BID (NYC or Boston? - I would pick based on location. I had a great impression of both programs. They actually had very similar feel.)
3. Northwestern
4. Duke
5. Michigan
6. Yale

I'm really torn also, and I'd love people's opinions on where I'm wrong/crazy/blowing things out of proportion.

The two things I'm looking for most in a program are diversity of practice approach (to learn all the drugs/techniques with the freedom to practice using them) and progressive responsibility (have to be able to stand on my own by the end). Academically oriented and near family in Boston/SF Bay area a plus. I might be interested in cardiac and/or critical care fellowships down the road.

I'm pretty comfortable with my #4 Duke and #5 Penn, but my #s 1-3 are so close that I could easily rearrange them however. Every one of them has great and merely good attendings, and good resident camaraderie. Thoughts on strengths/weaknesses/ordering is very much appreciated. I hope I provided people looking at these schools with good information as well!

My top five programs, in rough current order:

1. Brigham
Pros: A friendly Harvard. Strong community, very supportive. Pretty strong cardiac, ok CC, reasonably strong in all areas (though no liver txplants). Dr. Lekowsky is relatively new, but has made big changes and is very supportive of the residents. Massive revamping of program due to recently-lifted probation, including protected didactics time, but long-term fallout not yet clear. Nicest facilities (though building arrangement strung along Francis St. is annoying), particularly the cardiac area. In-house intern year, possibility of transferring to med-anesthesia program if it's up in time. Pre-op clinic well-developed compared to many institutions.
Cons: Resident told me that several years ago, about 1/4 of the senior class failed boards. No CRNAs, for all the good/bad that entails. To make up for no CRNAs and shrinking class size, went on a large hiring spree recently of their own graduates; concern is a too-inbred, homogenous approach/education (there's a 'Brigham way'). New attendings have a reputation of being clingy, and not letting residents grow to independence as well. Less academically-oriented, less cool (though commensurately cheaper) area of Boston. Command-line ordering system. Categorical internship is a hard year with a lot of medicine (though probably excellent training given Brigham's IM rep). Developing it's regional program (though strong in pain). Department chair is something of a space cadet, much more interested in research and he and some attendings are 'passive' and reportedly not strong advocates for the department/residents. Splits catchment basin with many other hospitals, though status as quaternary care center helps. Unionized nurses, which seems to be a problem at the NYC programs at least. I've been told privately that it's a smaller program and while 4/5 of the caseload is similar to MGH, that remaining 20% of high-yield high-acuity cases is at MGH across town.

2. Stanford
Pros: One of my first thoughts after was 'the complete package'. Friendly program with lots of early independence and diverse practice, and one of the foundational programs in cardiac surgery/anesthesia. Great integrated med/surg ICU model. They claim their acuity/case mix index is highest in nation. Drs. Pearl and Macario and the rest of the administration are very friendly and supportive, receptive to my research ideas. Connected with undergrad/grad schools/tech industry has the potential for interesting collaborations. Weather a big plus for my SO. Has a med-anesthesia track and strong research track.
Cons: SO and I would love to live in a city, and south Bay area is like a huge suburb with city-like cost, fewer job prospects than a major city, and the possibility of having to own two cars and commute in opposite directions. Not as near nuclear family as Boston programs, which might be a drag intern/CA-1 years. New hospital of which I'd see all the traffic/construction and none of the benefit. Few CRNAs, for all the good/bad. Few categorical spots in-house, loose association with SCVMC. Developing its regional program.

3. MGH
Pros: Man's Greatest Hospital. Most academically oriented faculty and residents, huge roster of top-flight field-leading research and caseload (eg neurosurg under MRI guidance). Probably more diverse practice than Brigham (but there's still an 'MGH way'). Lunder building has a bunch of nice new ORs. Strong didactics. Dr. Baker is a fantastic PD, strongly resident oriented and an excellent educator. Dr. Charnin is a slightly odd duck, but incredibly helpful/supportive. Reputation as 'best residency', fwiw. Best CC training in Boston, if not the country. Army of CRNAs, for all the good/bad that entails. Ranking system to request rooms several days in advance. Incredible history, amazing to be a part of it. Program has made a substantial effort to reach out pre- and post-interview.
Cons: More of a workhorse/'deal with it' program by reputation. Besides Lunder, less nice facilities. Semi-integrated intern year at NWH is easier but far from campus. Staggered start could screw you over for fellowships down the road, though less likely now. Walked in hoping to be blown away, expectations were disappointed by merely really liking it. Developing its regional program. Wasn't a huge fan of the department chair after meeting her briefly. Splits catchment basin with many other hospitals, though status as quaternary care center helps. Malignant cardiac surgeons make for an unpleasant experience, reportedly. Recent large expansion of CRNA staff to deal with quality of life complaints by residents has caused friction internally, some feel CRNAs have been rammed down their throat. Losing Dr. Christopher Ogilvy, a giant in neurosurgery, to BID where he can surgerize and perform minimally invasive surgery. I've been told privately that this will affect neuro training.

4. Duke
Pros: Loved the program organization and philosophy. Intentionally small class sizes plus mostly owning a huge catchment basin means incredible education opportunities. Lots of CRNA's, for all the good/bad that entails. Excellent cardiac and regional, and very good critical care training. Dirt cheap cost of living means living large on a budget. Very pretty facilities. Incredibly kind and supportive staff. Has made the biggest effort to reach out pre- and post-interview of any program (they're clearly a top-tier institution struggling with attracting candidates due to location).
Cons: Sort of the anti-city, though space and low cost of living help offset this. Fewest job opps for my SO. State politics disastrous. Farther from family than my other top choices.

5. Penn
Pros: Dr. Fleisher and Dr. Gaiser kind of make the program- incredibly kind, supportive people with extensive connections. Excellent cardiac and critical care teaching. Lots of independence and diversity of practice. New-ish surgi-center across the street and new cardiac rooms. Integrated TY year, mostly at a nearby affiliate but well-integrated into department. Moonlighting policy means significant bonus income available. Philly is a pretty decent city, and very cheap for what you're getting. Building up its research arm which benefits from Penn's research generally, good research track available, academic orientation means intense caseload of interesting/insane cases (all the TAVIs you want, for example). Lots of excellent young faculty, often hired from within (similar pros/cons as for Brigham).
Cons: Old-school hard workhorse program (though monlighting pay eases the pain) combined with few CRNAs (all the good/bad, etc.) means a non-trivial low-acuity/low-yield case load. No pre-op clinic, residents hand-write short pre-ops from surgeon's outpt notes. Lots of stodgier old attendings. Developing its regional program. Resident told me OR management is not good. You never quite know when you'll get out in the afternoon.

Sorry for the wall of text. Your thoughts and opinions are very valuable, thanks!

Last edited:
I'm really torn also, and I'd love people's opinions on where I'm wrong/crazy/blowing things out of proportion.

The two things I'm looking for most in a program are diversity of practice approach (to learn all the drugs/techniques with the freedom to practice using them) and progressive responsibility (have to be able to stand on my own by the end). Academically oriented and near family in Boston/SF Bay area a plus. I might be interested in cardiac and/or critical care fellowships down the road.

I'm pretty comfortable with my #4 Duke and #5 Penn, but my #s 1-3 are so close that I could easily rearrange them however. Every one of them has great and merely good attendings, and good resident camaraderie. Thoughts on strengths/weaknesses/ordering is very much appreciated. I hope I provided people looking at these schools with good information as well!

My top five programs, in rough current order:

1. Brigham
Pros: A friendly Harvard. Strong community, very supportive. Pretty strong cardiac, ok CC, reasonably strong in all areas (though no liver txplants). Dr. Lekowsky is relatively new, but has made big changes and is very supportive of the residents. Massive revamping of program due to recently-lifted probation, including protected didactics time, but long-term fallout not yet clear. Nicest facilities (though building arrangement strung along Francis St. is annoying), particularly the cardiac area. In-house intern year, possibility of transferring to med-anesthesia program if it's up in time. Pre-op clinic well-developed compared to many institutions.
Cons: Resident told me that several years ago, about 1/4 of the senior class failed boards. No CRNAs, for all the good/bad that entails. To make up for no CRNAs and shrinking class size, went on a large hiring spree recently of their own graduates; concern is a too-inbred, homogenous approach/education (there's a 'Brigham way'). New attendings have a reputation of being clingy, and not letting residents grow to independence as well. Less academically-oriented, less cool (though commensurately cheaper) area of Boston. Command-line ordering system. Categorical internship is a hard year with a lot of medicine (though probably excellent training given Brigham's IM rep). Developing it's regional program (though strong in pain). Department chair is something of a space cadet, much more interested in research and he and some attendings are 'passive' and reportedly not strong advocates for the department/residents. Splits catchment basin with many other hospitals, though status as quaternary care center helps. Unionized nurses, which seems to be a problem at the NYC programs at least.

2. Stanford
Pros: One of my first thoughts after was 'the complete package'. Friendly program with lots of early independence and diverse practice, and one of the foundational programs in cardiac surgery/anesthesiaGreat integrated med/surg ICU model. They claim their acuity/case mix index is highest in nation. Drs. Pearl and Macario and the rest of the administration are very friendly and supportive, receptive to my research ideas. Connected with undergrad/grad schools/tech industry has the potential for interesting collaborations. Weather a big plus for my SO. Has a med-anesthesia track and strong research track.
Cons: SO and I would love to live in a city, and south Bay area is like a huge suburb with city-like cost, fewer job prospects than a major city, and the possibility of having to own two cars and commute in opposite directions. Not as near nuclear family as Boston programs, which might be a drag intern/CA-1 years. New hospital of which I'd see all the traffic/construction and none of the benefit. Few CRNAs, for all the good/bad. Few categorical spots in-house, loose association with SCVMC. Developing its regional program.

3. MGH
Pros: Man's Greatest Hospital. Most academically oriented faculty and residents, huge roster of top-flight field-leading research and caseload (eg neurosurg under MRI guidance). Probably more diverse practice than Brigham (but there's still an 'MGH way'). Lunder building has a bunch of nice new ORs. Strong didactics. Dr. Baker is a fantastic PD, strongly resident oriented and an excellent educator. Dr. Charnin is a slightly odd duck, but incredibly helpful/supportive. Reputation as 'best residency', fwiw. Best CC training in Boston, if not the country. Army of CRNAs, for all the good/bad that entails. Ranking system to request rooms several days in advance. Incredible history, amazing to be a part of it. Program has made a substantial effort to reach out pre- and post-interview.
Cons: More of a workhorse/'deal with it' program by reputation. Besides Lunder, less nice facilities. Semi-integrated intern year at NWH is easier but far from campus. Staggered start could screw you over for fellowships down the road, though less likely now. Walked in hoping to be blown away, expectations were disappointed by merely really liking it. Developing its regional program. Wasn't a huge fan of the department chair after meeting her briefly. Splits catchment basin with many other hospitals, though status as quaternary care center helps. Malignant cardiac surgeons make for an unpleasant experience, reportedly. Recent large expansion of CRNA staff to deal with quality of life complaints by residents has caused friction internally, some feel CRNAs have been rammed down their throat.

4. Duke
Pros: Loved the program organization and philosophy. Intentionally small class sizes plus mostly owning a huge catchment basin means incredible education opportunities. Lots of CRNA's, for all the good/bad that entails. Excellent cardiac and regional, and very good critical care training. Dirt cheap cost of living means living large on a budget. Very pretty facilities. Incredibly kind and supportive staff. Has made the biggest effort to reach out pre- and post-interview of any program (they're clearly a top-tier institution struggling with attracting candidates due to location).
Cons: Sort of the anti-city, though space and low cost of living help offset this. Fewest job opps for my SO. State politics disastrous. Farther from family than my other top choices.

5. Penn
Pros: Dr. Fleisher and Dr. Gaiser kind of make the program- incredibly kind, supportive people with extensive connections. Excellent cardiac and critical care teaching. Lots of independence and diversity of practice. New-ish surgi-center across the street and new cardiac rooms. Integrated TY year, mostly at a nearby affiliate but well-integrated into department. Moonlighting policy means significant bonus income available. Philly is a pretty decent city, and very cheap for what you're getting. Building up its research arm which benefits from Penn's research generally, good research track available, academic orientation means intense caseload of interesting/insane cases (all the TAVIs you want, for example). Lots of excellent young faculty, often hired from within (similar pros/cons as for Brigham).
Cons: Old-school hard workhorse program (though monlighting pay eases the pain) combined with few CRNAs (all the good/bad, etc.) means a non-trivial low-acuity/low-yield case load. No pre-op clinic, residents hand-write short pre-ops from surgeon's outpt notes. Lots of stodgier old attendings. Developing its regional program. Resident told me OR management is not good. You never quite know when you'll get out in the afternoon.

Sorry for the wall of text. Your thoughts and opinions are very valuable, thanks!

I'd say for your 1-3 go for location. Stanford/MGH/BW each have their +/-'s but in all honesty after interviewing at all the top programs - they all give you relatively the same great training and future opportunities in academia - the only difference is the location. I think even the sense of "fit" is a bit overblown when talking about top programs, unless one program completely rubs you the wrong way. A PD gave me great advice on an interview, he said academia is easy to get into from any top program, but think about where you want to live, because A. you very well might end up at that program at the start of your academic career for a couple of years and B. that program probably has regional connections incase you want to move later in life so you'll probably be in that region for awhile. I think Palo Alto is a great place but if you and your SO really want to live in a city I'd say make your list with mgh/bw on top unless you guys could be happy in the burbs - which in that case palo alto and the bay area in general have some of the best suburbs with a great activity scene for all sorts of interests.

I'd say for your 1-3 go for location. Stanford/MGH/BW each have their +/-'s but in all honesty after interviewing at all the top programs - they all give you relatively the same great training and future opportunities in academia - the only difference is the location. I think even the sense of "fit" is a bit overblown when talking about top programs, unless one program completely rubs you the wrong way. A PD gave me great advice on an interview, he said academia is easy to get into from any top program, but think about where you want to live, because A. you very well might end up at that program at the start of your academic career for a couple of years and B. that program probably has regional connections incase you want to move later in life so you'll probably be in that region for awhile. I think Palo Alto is a great place but if you and your SO really want to live in a city I'd say make your list with mgh/bw on top unless you guys could be happy in the burbs - which in that case palo alto and the bay area in general have some of the best suburbs with a great activity scene for all sorts of interests.

Thanks for the thoughts, it's very helpful. I think my SO and I want to end up in CA in the long run, but being in Boston near my parents and where she can have more opportunities at the start of her career might outweigh that right now. It's a tough balance.

IIRC, you were looking at a similar slate of institutions. Any idea where you want to end up?

Thanks for the thoughts, it's very helpful. I think my SO and I want to end up in CA in the long run, but being in Boston near my parents and where she can have more opportunities at the start of her career might outweigh that right now. It's a tough balance.

IIRC, you were looking at a similar slate of institutions. Any idea where you want to end up?

I'm from the bay area, and my SO, my friends and family are from there - so that is where I want to be. UCSF/Stanford (not 100% sure which is number 1) right now are at the top, but having trouble with after that.. I loved the boston programs so it might be mgh/bw but I also loved ucsd/ucla so I need to do some soul searching and figure out what the rest of my list is going to look like. I think MGH and BW were outstanding programs its just... I can't take the cold that well, I told myself its only 3 years if I rank them advanced- but this winter is horrible and I'm not sure if I want to even do one more.

I tell myself, the benefit of being so indecisive is that i'll extremely be happy at any of my top 6 programs each for different reasons.

One other issue with the Bay Area is the cost of living, especially housing. Affordable housing (rent or buy) near Stanford is basically non-existent. And you certainly don't want to have to cross a Bay Area bridge to get to work. It's much easier to deal with as an attending when you're making 5x the salary of a resident.

I would rank them like this:
1-2. NYU vs. BID (NYC or Boston? - I would pick based on location. I had a great impression of both programs. They actually had very similar feel.)
3. Northwestern
4. Duke
5. Michigan
6. Yale

I also really liked Duke and Yale. From your experience what do you think makes Duke > Yale? Thanks.

One other issue with the Bay Area is the cost of living, especially housing. Affordable housing (rent or buy) near Stanford is basically non-existent. And you certainly don't want to have to cross a Bay Area bridge to get to work. It's much easier to deal with as an attending when you're making 5x the salary of a resident.

so unfortunately true... I have classmates who are looking to buy a house during residency, I will be lucky if I just break even on rent.

I also really liked Duke and Yale. From your experience what do you think makes Duke > Yale? Thanks.

Definitely subjective, I just didn't have a great experience at Yale. I came into it expecting to love it, but really was not a great fit for me. New Haven was downright sketchy (I almost had my luggage jacked), the residents didn't seem as enthusiastic about their program, and relative to others didn't seem that strong relative to other programs - residents complained of poor regional/pain, critical care, griping about add on cases. New Haven seemed to be away from the action, both in case mix and socially, compared to nearby Boston and NYC. On the flipside do have a couple big name anesthesiologists there, and their chairman is great. It's clearly a great program, and I don't mean to sound too negative, but just was not what I was looking for.

i'm having trouble finalizing some part of my list. most i have questions about are baylor and houston, i couldn't figure out where to put them.

Washington
Michigan
UPMC
NW
baylor
uab
wake
uthouston

What are people's thoughts on the different Cali programs outside of the big 3 (not including Stanford, UCSF, UCLA)?

Rank the following: UCSD, UCD, UCI, LLU, Cedars, USC, Harbor

haha how's UCSD on the same level as Harbor. Gimme a break with the whole "big 3" business

haha how's UCSD on the same level as Harbor. Gimme a break with the whole "big 3" business
Like I said, I don't think all are equal... Obviously ucsd > harbor but not sure why ucsd would be higher than others. It didn't sound like they got better jobs. Sorry if my post offended you.

how would you rank these programs?

penn state hershey
uconn
Albert Einstein
New York Medical College/St Joseph's
jefferson
New York Medical College at Westchester
Rutgers
cooper
Temple
Drexel
West penn AGH
Case western
university of illinois at chicago

NS-LIJ vs Maimo vs NYMC?

interested in staying in NY but want a fellowship
If it's just based on fellowship I'd rank Maimo>NYMC>LIJ. If you want a varied clinical experience then it's probably a toss up b/w all three so go with your gut.

from my experiences, St Lukes >> the rest
Didn't IV there but I've heard good things from St Barnabas as well. St Luke's will give great regional though leaving you free to do another fellowship and still be a relative expert in blocks. Plus the location is solid.

Didn't IV there but I've heard good things from St Barnabas as well. St Luke's will give great regional though leaving you free to do another fellowship and still be a relative expert in blocks. Plus the location is solid.

i liked barnabas, but I felt like they worked a ton. PD and Chair were nice guys. I think you'd get a great training there. location was cool too, you could easily live in hoboken/jersey city/ etc and drive against the grain to get out there.

Can anyone comment on UMaryland vs Albert Einstein?

can anybody comment about jefferson vs st lukes?
thanks

I interviewed at both this year. They are very different.

Einstein/Monte is the referral center for the Bronx. Good mix of cases, good teaching intra-op, the new Chair turned the program around. The residents seemed super happy. Very affordable housing across the street. Also their call system, especially as a CA-3 is pretty sweet. (Come in around 1-2 PM and stay until 7 AM the next day) Cons: NYC program with less name recognition than "The big 4" Also, it seemed like sometimes the residents are spread thin between their 2 or 3 locations.

Maryland: Best trauma hospital in the country. Lots of ICUs. Very sick patients. Huge academic center with all the opportunities that entails. All kinds of transplants. Cons: 24 hour call, perhaps the location.

I would say they are similar in the fact that both of them get a very diverse patient population.

can anybody comment about jefferson vs st lukes?
thanks
Both are solid programs and I got the feeling that you'd be more than competent coming out of either one. . Residents seemed happier at Jefferson but got a better feeling at St Luke's, maybe bc I prefer Manhattan. IMHO you need to be solid on what your career goals are bc each program will get you into a fellowship and make you a good all around MDA but the lifestyle will be decidedly different.

I'm from Einstein and am applying this year (I'm a reg on this board under a different ID). I think Dr. Delphin has really done great things for the program. She literally cleaned house and kicked out almost 80% of the attendings 4 years ago. All the new people are energetic, most are young, and fellowship trained attendings from big programs all over the place. Another gem is Dr. Kahana who is the Vice Chair who is from Stanford - she is quite literally one of the nicest sweetest people I know - and she is pretty bad ass at the same time. Because a lot of the new attendings are from big programs all over, the new graduates have had no difficulty finding great fellowships and jobs. Montefiore also hires a lot of their own if anyone wants to do academics with the highest pay rate for academics in new york (i think new attendings at 280k). Weakness I would see is regional but they are improving and have great new regional attendings (Gonzalez who did fellowship at HSS blew me away). Montefiore also has a huge referral base since it is practically the only show in the Bronx. People here have issues with access to care and many are immigrants, Montefiore is a great place to train.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everybody.
I've been thinking about my match list lately and having a lot of trouble. I'm originally from NYC and would love to stay here but my furthest interviews are the better programs. These are my top 5: Michigan, URochester, CCF, Jefferson, and St Lukes Roosevelt. Am I crazy to rank SLR at the top?? I think immediately I would be most happy staying in NYC. But I'm not sure if this decision will hurt me later on for fellowships and job searching.

Hi everybody.
I've been thinking about my match list lately and having a lot of trouble. I'm originally from NYC and would love to stay here but my furthest interviews are the better programs. These are my top 5: Michigan, URochester, CCF, Jefferson, and St Lukes Roosevelt. Am I crazy to rank SLR at the top?? I think immediately I would be most happy staying in NYC. But I'm not sure if this decision will hurt me later on for fellowships and job searching.
They say you should go to the program where you'll be happy, but residency is only a few years and you dont want to miss the opportunity to train at a program that will open vastly more doors in the future. I'd probably rank CCF number one in your case. Best of luck

Hi everybody.

I've heard really good things about Michigan. I'm guessing that is U.mich?... I'd say go there if you can be happy Ann Arbor is supposed to be a good place as well - besides being cold in the winter.

Yes University of Michigan.
So you guys are saying it is probably not the wisest choice by ranking SLR 1.

Would love peoples opinions on ranking the following:

Northshore-LIJ
UMass - Worcester
Maimo
Albany

I've been very impressed with all of the programs and would have a hard time putting them in any order! I hope for a fellowship in the future, so am trying to keep competitiveness in mind as well as my personal feel for the programs and clinical experience.

Thanks!!

I'm having a similar dilemma with ranking the trio of UCLA/UCSF/Stanford against smaller programs that I feel might be a better fit for me.

I suppose the safe thing to do is just rank the trio highest since they're bigger names and "better"
Different schools,same situation :/
It is gonna be a tough list to pin down

I'm glad to see that there are others who also have this feeling that places where you will be happiest aren't necessarily the same places that may open the most doors after graduating, regardless if the level of training may be similar. It's a difficult dilemma.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes University of Michigan.
So you guys are saying it is probably not the wisest choice by ranking SLR 1.

Don't worry all of us are in some sort of situation similar to yours. For me it is great programs in boston (with horrible winters) vs. some california programs my favorite locations. Figure out your priorities then just stick to your guns. I was just bringing up that I've heard U.Mich is considered a great place to train and that Ann Arbor isn't half bad besides the freezing winters.