2014 PhD Applicants USA - Interview/Rejection/Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got invited to PhD Recruitment Day at Brown!
Wow! Congratulations! That's really exciting! I think once you get an interview, you're smooth sailing as long as you can articulate yourself and your research interests well in person :) Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! Congratulations! That's really exciting! I think once you get an interview, you're smooth sailing as long as you can articulate yourself and your research interests well in person :) Best of luck!

Thank you! I'm SO nervous about the interview process-I don't know what to expect or how stressful the situation is going to be :( I'm hoping I can explain my research interests well enough-time to start practicing!:)

To the UT accepted students: I just received two confusing emails from UT. One thanked me for my application (!) and the other invited me to login to the myUTH student portal which I did only to find out that my application is incomplete! Also there is no pending task at "To Do" list and no mention any where about my acceptance into the PhD program which they sent out in December! I am getting very confused. Did they really accept me in December or that was just a glitch? What about others who received acceptance email last year? Can anyone please shed some light?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I offered to be helpful and then went MIA, but congrats to those who have been offered interviews/invitations to recruitment days. A lot of these acceptances and such won't go out until Feb and I believe most admitted student days aren't until March/April so if you haven't heard anything at this point don't worry. Schools have ranges of time lines for various reasons so just because school X told someone in January that they were admitted doesn't mean that you have been rejected from school Y (or school X for that matter). At this point its easy to get anxious about the process but just trust that you put together a strong application, distract yourself and don't stare at your inbox all day. But if anyone has any questions about interviews/admitted student days feel free to ask--I'm in the first year of my PhD program so the memories are pretty fresh!

Hi jonu3! Thanks for the offer to help and reminder to be patient. I'm prepping for my first interview in a couple of weeks. Though I'm no stranger to interviews and will clearly spend time elaborating on my research portfolio and departmental interests, I am wondering how the interview process was for you. Could you recall some of the questions they asked you? Did you prep for the interview, and if so, how? What did you wear? Did you bring any material with you (extra copies of CV, etc)? How in-depth did you go into funding during the interviews? Thanks!

Hi jonu3! Thanks for the offer to help and reminder to be patient. I'm prepping for my first interview in a couple of weeks. Though I'm no stranger to interviews and will clearly spend time elaborating on my research portfolio and departmental interests, I am wondering how the interview process was for you. Could you recall some of the questions they asked you? Did you prep for the interview, and if so, how? What did you wear? Did you bring any material with you (extra copies of CV, etc)? How in-depth did you go into funding during the interviews? Thanks!

I had interviews in phone and in person. In person you want to dress professional but comfortably too. There weren't too many people I saw in business suits, but I commonly wore a nic(er) skirt and a blouse. If you have a nice pair of jeans I think that would also be ok. Professors rarely wear business suits to work/class so I don't think they expect you to but you should looks nice.
I did prepare by coming up with a concise "elevator pitch" and making sure I knew about the various programs and centers at the school and then within the department. You want to make sure you don't just repeat your CV. They'll ask you about your research goals, why you want to attend school X and your career goals for sure. They'll ask you about your background and what you are currently doing and you want to frame that in a way that supports your future research/career goals even if the topic is unrelated. I had one person ask me about methods but I think that was a rarity. You should also be prepared to ask them some questions, find out who you are interviewing with before hand and learn a bit about them. You don't need to bring copies of your CV or anything--if you are going to an on campus interview it may be worth scheduling a time to meet with faculty (ones you aren't interviewing with) who share same interests as you and/or students currently in the program.
If anyone wants info from you (CV, contact,etc) they'll just ask you to email it honestly but if it makes you anxious of course bring a copy.

hope that helps

Hi all. I offered to be helpful and then went MIA, but congrats to those who have been offered interviews/invitations to recruitment days. A lot of these acceptances and such won't go out until Feb and I believe most admitted student days aren't until March/April so if you haven't heard anything at this point don't worry. Schools have ranges of time lines for various reasons so just because school X told someone in January that they were admitted doesn't mean that you have been rejected from school Y (or school X for that matter). At this point its easy to get anxious about the process but just trust that you put together a strong application, distract yourself and don't stare at your inbox all day. But if anyone has any questions about interviews/admitted student days feel free to ask--I'm in the first year of my PhD program so the memories are pretty fresh!

Exactly what I need to hear. I just went onto grad cafe and I see that people are beginning to be contacted for interviews and recruitment days. Lots of anxiety from that. I know I just need to put my mind on other things. So scared I'll be rejected from every program, though! lol

To the UT accepted students: I just received two confusing emails from UT. One thanked me for my application (!) and the other invited me to login to the myUTH student portal which I did only to find out that my application is incomplete! Also there is no pending task at "To Do" list and no mention any where about my acceptance into the PhD program which they sent out in December! I am getting very confused. Did they really accept me in December or that was just a glitch? What about others who received acceptance email last year? Can anyone please shed some light?
I got the same emails, also with the "to do" list empty. I think it's just a glitch in the system. We're supposed to be receiving something by mail I believe, so that's what I'm mainly waiting for from them.

I got the same emails, also with the "to do" list empty. I think it's just a glitch in the system. We're supposed to be receiving something by mail I believe, so that's what I'm mainly waiting for from them.
Thanks, jerkball! This helps to know that you also received these emails, let's wait for the mail then!

I never received any information on an acceptance or anything else from UT, but received the same emails you did. I clicked the To Do List as well and it said it was incomplete! Confusing, but I'm just holding tight until I get something in the regular mail.

I never received any information on an acceptance or anything else from UT, but received the same emails you did. I clicked the To Do List as well and it said it was incomplete! Confusing, but I'm just holding tight until I get something in the regular mail.
Just out of curiosity, in your username provided by UT, was there a numeric number which followed your name initials? For example, mine was "rahmed6"

Just out of curiosity, in your username provided by UT, was there a numeric number which followed your name initials? For example, mine was "rahmed6"

Mine was actually just my first initial and my last name....think that has an implication for admission? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All:

January is killing me; I just want to hear back from one school and it will squash the frequent panic attacks I've been having.
smile.png

I applied for the following programs with a great GPA from my MPH program (4.0), decent GREs (mid 150s range), tons of PH experience, and a great PS.

Harvard, DS, Global Health and Population- received fin aid application and invitation to apply to summer admissions. Has anyone else received this? Does this bode well?
NYU, PHD, Sociobehavioral Health
Tulane, PHD, Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences
UT, PHD, Behavioral Sciences, Austin- someone agreed to be my chair at UT, if accepted, but I"m not sure how far this will get me
Pitt, PHD, Behavioral and Community Health Sciences
SLU, PHD, Behavioral Science and Health Education.
Harvard and Pitt are my first choices, but at this point, I just hope I get in somewhere!

Mine was actually just my first initial and my last name....think that has an implication for admission? :(
It's hard to tell at this point. May be if jerball, and others such as me who received an acceptance email from UT in December also has usernames with numeric attached to it, I would tend to think that it may be an indication of admission. But hey, that's just a wishful thinking on my part! I think you have a good chance of admission as well as they have you in their system

Hi All:

January is killing me; I just want to hear back from one school and it will squash the frequent panic attacks I've been having.
smile.png

I applied for the following programs with a great GPA from my MPH program (4.0), decent GREs (mid 150s range), tons of PH experience, and a great PS.

Harvard, DS, Global Health and Population- received fin aid application and invitation to apply to summer admissions. Has anyone else received this? Does this bode well?
NYU, PHD, Sociobehavioral Health
Tulane, PHD, Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences
UT, PHD, Behavioral Sciences, Austin- someone agreed to be my chair at UT, if accepted, but I"m not sure how far this will get me
Pitt, PHD, Behavioral and Community Health Sciences
SLU, PHD, Behavioral Science and Health Education.
Harvard and Pitt are my first choices, but at this point, I just hope I get in somewhere!

Don't worry, bri2014. Given your profile, you will sail through the process and I think in the end it would come down to which school you wanna go to rather than who accepted you! I also received a financial aid application instruction from Harvard and a summer semester invitation. I am trying to convince me that it's a good indication but I kind of think that they sent it to everyone who applied! You know, when it comes down to Harvard I tend to think I am a low-ranked candidate given my scores and all. But you have splendid profile, indeed.

Harvard SD programs don't start sending out anything until mid Feb, from past years, usually Feb 15th.

It's hard to tell at this point. May be if jerball, and others such as me who received an acceptance email from UT in December also has usernames with numeric attached to it, I would tend to think that it may be an indication of admission. But hey, that's just a wishful thinking on my part! I think you have a good chance of admission as well as they have you in their system
My login name was my first initial and last name too. Probably has something to do with others that are in the system already. You guys stressing are stressing me out!

I just checked the myUTH site again, and my acceptance status is now admitted with an option to accept or decline. Still waiting to hear back about a stipend though!

I just checked the myUTH site again, and my acceptance status is now admitted with an option to accept or decline. Still waiting to hear back about a stipend though!

Mine also changed to "admitted" status with an option to accept or decline! I pray that they offer stipends to me- I badly need that!

Update: UNC Chapel Hill PhD Epi- Rejected! They did not even bother to email- I had to log in to the system to get the scanned rejection letter. Oh well! So far 1 acceptance, 1 rejection. Lets see what the rest 3 has to offer....

I just got accepted to Pitt Epidemiology!

Sorry to hear about your rejection Robinssmc, but at least you reached for the top, which is more than I can say :)

Logged into the site again....same status as before :( The waiting is killing me!

Update: UNC Chapel Hill PhD Epi- Rejected! They did not even bother to email- I had to log in to the system to get the scanned rejection letter. Oh well! So far 1 acceptance, 1 rejection. Lets see what the rest 3 has to offer....

Hi Robinssmc- I applied to UNC too. Logged into my account but don't see anything. Was your letter in the message section? Good luck with your other schools! I heard UNC doesn't offer a lot of funding anyway :-(

I just got accepted to Pitt Epidemiology!

Sorry to hear about your rejection Robinssmc, but at least you reached for the top, which is more than I can say :)
Thank you, Jerkball!

Hi Robinssmc- I applied to UNC too. Logged into my account but don't see anything. Was your letter in the message section? Good luck with your other schools! I heard UNC doesn't offer a lot of funding anyway :-(
Hi! Once you log in, the application summary page will have a new link saying "application decision available". You click that link and boom- there you have the letter! They said they started sending out application decisions from 1/17, so I believe you will have yours shortly. You are right- if the funding situation is not good, then it is better that UNC declined me; I most certainly need that!

Me also--I am currently in a PhD program and applied twice so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I got my MPH and am getting my PhD in Health Behavior/Community Health

Where are you getting your PhD? What were your stats applying? I feel like not a lot of posts are about Health Behavior/Community Health, so I'd love to learn more, as that's what I'm currently applying to.

I have a phone interview with Pitt. Any suggestions! So nervous, but so excited!

I second bri2014- anyone with interview tips they could share? PLEASE!

Rejected today from Pitt Epi. "application not sufficiently competitive". Oh well, on to the next.

@EpiGirl14, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you have an interview? I have an interview with them and am trying to gauge my chance of admissions based on the fact that I got an interview.

@EpiGirl14, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you have an interview? I have an interview with them and am trying to gauge my chance of admissions based on the fact that I got an interview.
thanks bri2014. No interview. I think if you get an interview, you're a top candidate and they just want to see how you articulate yourself to make a final decision. Good luck!

Another one for the rejection files. UNC actually e-mailed me to check to website tonight. Looks like there will be several more of these for me, guys.

I thought I should have gotten more experience under my belt before applying, but was slightly pressured into it..anyway, don't want to get into that here.

Another one for the rejection files. UNC actually e-mailed me to check to website tonight. Looks like there will be several more of these for me, guys.

I thought I should have gotten more experience under my belt before applying, but was slightly pressured into it..anyway, don't want to get into that here.
No worries, EpiGirl14! You will get a spot. I think UNC is super selective, they have become more competitive than the likes of Hopkins and Harvard...

Thanks Robinssmc. That's some consolation, but two rejections in two days is pretty tough :-( Well, I still have 6 programs to go so hopefully, you're right.

I did apply to a range of schools, so maybe the lesser known programs will have a heart for me :) I just love doing Epi so much and I want to reach the full potential of my career! Ugh!

Hi EpiGirl, you still have a lot more to hear from. Also - if you are applying pretty soon after getting a Master's, without much experience, and you don't get in, you can always get more experience and apply again in a year or two. You might find you get more out of the degree with some more job experience under your belt. Either way things will turn out OK!

Thanks Robinssmc. That's some consolation, but two rejections in two days is pretty tough :-( Well, I still have 6 programs to go so hopefully, you're right.

I did apply to a range of schools, so maybe the lesser known programs will have a heart for me :) I just love doing Epi so much and I want to reach the full potential of my career! Ugh!

Just got my first rejection- UW Madison, Population Health Sciences. The curriculum would have been a stretch, but it still hurts.

Just got my first rejection- UW Madison, Population Health Sciences. The curriculum would have been a stretch, but it still hurts.

Sorry to hear that :( But you're still waiting to hear from a lot of schools right?

Sorry to hear that :( But you're still waiting to hear from a lot of schools right?

I am.

I've applied to:
SLU
Harvard
Pittsburgh
Tulane
UT

So far, I haven't heard anything back from anywhere. I do, however, have an interview at Pittsburgh, so hopefully that bodes well.

I'm an anxious mess right now.

Hi EpiGirl, you still have a lot more to hear from. Also - if you are applying pretty soon after getting a Master's, without much experience, and you don't get in, you can always get more experience and apply again in a year or two. You might find you get more out of the degree with some more job experience under your belt. Either way things will turn out OK!

Thanks kerewin21. I know. Guess it's back to the job hunt. More bad news today. Rejected from Hopkins for the Global Disease Epi and Control PhD.

So, I turned down a really great job in December b/c they wanted a commitment on 2-3 years and I MAY have gotten into school and didn't want to sever that relationship before it really began had i gotten in. Do you guys think that it would be okay to contact them and explain the suasion and that I would like to be considered for another position once I have it confirmed that I didn't get in anywhere? Or is that just a no go. I know my experience is a big part of this as I only just got my MPH this past summer, I have very little substantive experience, and I would totally commit to staying for a few years at this great company being that it's exactly the kind of work I would love to do and it would add a lot of valuable research experience to me CV.

Sorry, that was A LOT in a couple of sentences lol

opinions are appreciated here.

Congrats to those who are getting good news about interviews and acceptance and for the rest, I DEFINITELY feel your pain lol...lurkers too ;-)

And sorry about all the typos in the previous post. Multi-tasking :)

Hey EpiGirl, hang in there! There are still more programs to hear from! If you really liked the place where you decided not to accept a job, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting in touch with them and telling them your situation has changed and you'd like to be considered for future opportunities. Keep in mind that since your final goal is a PhD, any job you take (if you don't get into a program) should get you towards that goal, so you should try to go somewhere where you will have an opportunity to work on publications and get your name on articles.

Thanks kerewin21. I know. Guess it's back to the job hunt. More bad news today. Rejected from Hopkins for the Global Disease Epi and Control PhD.

So, I turned down a really great job in December b/c they wanted a commitment on 2-3 years and I MAY have gotten into school and didn't want to sever that relationship before it really began had i gotten in. Do you guys think that it would be okay to contact them and explain the suasion and that I would like to be considered for another position once I have it confirmed that I didn't get in anywhere? Or is that just a no go. I know my experience is a big part of this as I only just got my MPH this past summer, I have very little substantive experience, and I would totally commit to staying for a few years at this great company being that it's exactly the kind of work I would love to do and it would add a lot of valuable research experience to me CV.

Sorry, that was A LOT in a couple of sentences lol

opinions are appreciated here.

Congrats to those who are getting good news about interviews and acceptance and for the rest, I DEFINITELY feel your pain lol...lurkers too ;-)

When I was a grad student, lots of folks had come back to PhD after working for a little bit. Definitely not out of the norm, so rest assured, you'll still be a great candidate :)

This may be a stupid question, but what does full funding entail? Does it include housing/living expenses? A stipend? Or just tuition?

This may be a stupid question, but what does full funding entail? Does it include housing/living expenses? A stipend? Or just tuition?

Full funding means that all of your school expenses are covered (tuition, fees). Housing/living expenses would be covered by a stipend, and is more of a bonus. However, I personally didn't consider going to a school unless both were offered.

Thanks Stories. I appreciate all the feedback here guys. I'm so happy that this is such a positive and uplifting forum!

Now, I'm anxious to get the remainder of the decisions (read rejections) so I can contact that company again! This place does a lot of public health research and publishes quite a bit so I know that it would allow me to get at least a couple of publications under my belt in a few years.

Again, best of luck to everyone with decisions now coming in!

Hi Everyone,

Anyone heard from Yale? I am wondering if interview invites should be out?

Hi Everyone,

Anyone heard from Yale? I am wondering if interview invites should be out?

I'm a Yale alum, actually. This was some number of years ago, but here's what I remember: I heard about interviews in the end of January, and the interview was mid-February. Acceptances were sent out middle of March.

Hi Stories,

Thank you so much for your response. The wait is nerve wrecking. I emailed Yale on the 25th of Jan to check on the status and was told that they were reviewing applications...

I was accepted into the Pitts program and have an interview with Columbia next week. Yale is my first choice and thus my 'misery'.