2014 PhD Applicants USA - Interview/Rejection/Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Stories,

Thank you so much for your response. The wait is nerve wrecking. I emailed Yale on the 25th of Jan to check on the status and was told that they were reviewing applications...

I was accepted into the Pitts program and have an interview with Columbia next week. Yale is my first choice and thus my 'misery'.

I also applied to Yale (EMD) and haven't heard anything yet, so you're not the only one. I, too, have already had success elsewhere, so the lack of communication this late in the game seems weird to me. I'm thinking it's probably a lost cause, but that's Yale for you - I had similar experience applying there for my master's. Anyway, good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Stories,

Thank you so much for your response. The wait is nerve wrecking. I emailed Yale on the 25th of Jan to check on the status and was told that they were reviewing applications...

I was accepted into the Pitts program and have an interview with Columbia next week. Yale is my first choice and thus my 'misery'.

Hi! Could you expound on your invite to interview at Columbia? Did they say if all other students being considered were currently being interviewed as well? Do you know who you're interviewing with - administration vs. a specific professor you expressed interest in? I'm waiting to hear back from them, and yes, the wait IS nerve wrecking. I don't think I'll be too upset if I don't get in, but I'd like to know!

Hi! Could you expound on your invite to interview at Columbia? Did they say if all other students being considered were currently being interviewed as well? Do you know who you're interviewing with - administration vs. a specific professor you expressed interest in? I'm waiting to hear back from them, and yes, the wait IS nerve wrecking. I don't think I'll be too upset if I don't get in, but I'd like to know!

Hi Jerkball,
I recently had an interview at Columbia but it was just for a training grant IF I get in. I heard that they are not interviewing all students for admission (I could be wrong). Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jerkball,
I recently had an interview at Columbia but it was just for a training grant IF I get in. I heard that they are not interviewing all students for admission (I could be wrong). Hope that helps!
Ah yes, that is helpful. I guess I won't count them out. Thanks, and good luck to you!

Hi Jerkball,

I received an email form a faculty member in the admission committee for Epi. It was not a specific professor I was interested in working with. I was told that they wanted to talk to me and to ask a few questions about my application.
But the email did not say anything about the people they were interviewing. I hope the info helps. Will give you an update after I talk to them next week.
All the best with your applications!

Congratulations everybody that got accepted.

It would be helpful for the applicants next year if you could post your stats including research/work experience.

Thanks.

I recently was contacted by Texas regarding my Ph.D. application, and they are reviewing it and will have a decision soon!

Leaving for Brown tomorrow morning, wish me luck for my interview guys! I will be slowly getting more and more freaked out about it starting now :whoa::arghh:

Got the rejection from Hopkins Epi on the website earlier this week, So those are available if anyone is waiting to hear from that program.

Dislike :thumbdown:. Sorry to hear that EpiGirl. I am still rooting for you! I truly think that whatever happens you will get where you need to be.

I am still waiting on Hopkins, had my interview by phone and they told me they are making their final decisions "soon."

Also for those interested in stats/experience (and maybe to make you feel better EpiGirl- that you are competing with people with lots of experience...) Obviously I'm an outlier though; most people with an MD and MPH aren't crazy enough to go back to grad school.

Undergrad GPA: 3.8 (Ivy)
Grad GPA: 3.8 (MPH)
GREs: 165Q/170V/5.5
Other degrees: MD (State school)
Experience: 2 years public health research during undergrad, 2 years public health research between undergrad/med school, 7 year black hole during med school/residency, 2 year research/clinical fellowship after residency, 2 1/2 years working at an international public health organization; 8 publications (2 first author); multiple presentations at conferences

Got the rejection from Hopkins Epi on the website earlier this week, So those are available if anyone is waiting to hear from that program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @kerewin21; I appreciate the support. Yeah, I'm coming to peace with the fact that it may not be the right time for me to pursue doctoral studies. Who knows, maybe after working a while I'll find that the PhD isn't for me at all, but only time will tell. I think ultimately, I do want to pursue the PhD b/c all the jobs I look at that interest me and that I aspire to for the future require that, but we'll see.

And here I am thinking I would be "old" in the entering class (no offense, just saying that the PhD crowd is a bit more mature and experienced than I expected; I'm turning 27 this year :) )

I'm actually looking forward to a few years in the workforce to practice what I love. Still have a couple of schools to go, but whatever happens, as you say, I'll be in the right place for me.

Good luck to those interviewing at brown tomorrow! I did not receive an invite, so I know I'm out there (not to continue to pity party or anything).

Here's my info.

Undergrad GPA
: 3.7 (Spanish), minors in biology and chemistry
MPH GPA: 7.28 (a little above A- average on 9-point scale)
GRE: 160Q/168V/4.5W
Related experience: Three years experience at a state health department, includinga 2-year environmental health fellowship and 1 year as an epidemiologist
Applied to: BU, Harvard, Hopkins, Michigan, UIC, UW -- PhD (or ScD) epidemiology programs with environmental epi concentration

I attended Doctoral Program Day at Michigan, and I've been waitlisted at UW. No news otherwise. I'm starting to get antsy, which is why I signed up for an account here! I'm interested to hear how you guys do, and when you hear back from your programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay cool, I applied to the SD EH with a concentration in Enviro Epi also. Which POI are you looking at?

I would love to work with Joel Schwartz or Douglas Dockery. I especially like Dr. Schwartz's emphasis on using environmental health for cost-benefit analysis.

How about you? Did you name professor by name in your SOP? Did you contact anybody? I didn't do either, but I do wonder if that's a good idea.

Yeah, I went up to Harvard last fall and talked to Dr. Baccarelli. I'm more interested in environmental epigenetic methods. I'm currently looking at different epigenetic patterns in genes related to obesity, so I want to further my research with Dr. Baccrelli. I'm also interested in Dr. Christiani's research in cancer epi and molecular epi.

I did name both in my SOP.

I hope we hear back soon, this wait is killing me.

Yeah, me too. Based on previous years I'd guess we'll hear early next week. I'm glad we have a slightly different focus, so I can cheer for you to get in too! Good luck.
You too!! Yeah, based on GradCafe, this Friday is hopefully when they start putting out acceptances! If we both get in, that would be awesome.

Is anyone else going to NYU GIPH's interview day next week?

My decision (for JHU epidemiology) was posted today on their website (no notification email), so check the site if you applied there! Good luck everyone!

Here's my info.
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (Spanish), minors in biology and chemistry
MPH GPA: 7.28 (a little above A- average on 9-point scale)
GRE: 160Q/168V/4.5W
Related experience: Three years experience at a state health department, includinga 2-year environmental health fellowship and 1 year as an epidemiologist
Applied to: BU, Harvard, Hopkins, Michigan, UIC, UW -- PhD (or ScD) epidemiology programs with environmental epi concentration

I attended Doctoral Program Day at Michigan, and I've been waitlisted at UW. No news otherwise. I'm starting to get antsy, which is why I signed up for an account here! I'm interested to hear how you guys do, and when you hear back from your programs.
That's some GRE score, man!

One of my colleagues were interviewed for Emory's environmental health PhD (over phone) and he was accepted with full finding (supposedly)! What about others?

MyUTH hates me lol won't let me login! Keeps saying wrong ID and PW when I'm giving it the ones they email me with @@

MyUTH hates me lol won't let me login! Keeps saying wrong ID and PW when I'm giving it the ones they email me with @@
That's happening with me as well! Honestly, the myUTH is a crap system! They must upgrade the portal.

One of my colleagues were interviewed for Emory's environmental health PhD (over phone) and he was accepted with full finding (supposedly)! What about others?

Crap. I went to Emory for an EH PhD interview (I believe there were 17 of us total; 11 in person and 6 on skype) and have not heard back yet. I think they mentioned there were between 5-7 spots. Oh well.

Crap. I went to Emory for an EH PhD interview (I believe there were 17 of us total; 11 in person and 6 on skype) and have not heard back yet. I think they mentioned there were between 5-7 spots. Oh well.
Well, you think that they did not disclose results yet? But my colleague did confirm that he was offered a spot with funding....

Well, you think that they did not disclose results yet? But my colleague did confirm that he was offered a spot with funding....

Possibly, but they said they would send out acceptances last week and competition was very tough so I'm not holding my breath. And all EH PhDs at Emory are funded.

You too!! Yeah, based on GradCafe, this Friday is hopefully when they start putting out acceptances! If we both get in, that would be awesome.

Yeah, actually, for the past several years Harvard has put out decision notices on a Friday, usually in the third week of February. I'm going to stop checking my email every 10 minutes now (that's probably a lie).

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, actually, for the past several years Harvard has put out decision notices on a Friday, usually in the third week of February. I'm going to stop checking my email every 10 minutes now (that's probably a lie).

I'd have to agree with this. It's driving me nuts. Plus I have a BU EH interview this Friday, so I have to stop focusing on Harvard and start focusing on BU.

I'd have to agree with this. It's driving me nuts. Plus I have a BU EH interview this Friday, so I have to stop focusing on Harvard and start focusing on BU.

Today I found out I got into BU's PhD program in epidemiology. First acceptance! Woohoo!

Good luck with your interview.

So, I accepted the offer in myUTH and now it is saying application incomplete/wait-listed!

Found out yesterday evening that I'm accepted to UNC Chapel Hill's Masters-to-PhD program! This was a top choice for me, soooo excited!

So, I accepted the offer in myUTH and now it is saying application incomplete/wait-listed!

Hey Robinssmc, multiple questions ahead!

Why did you decide to go ahead and accept the offer? Have you heard from all the other schools you applied to? Did you ever hear anything about funding from UT?

Congrats on the acceptances and congrats Robinssmc on making a decision already! That must feel great.

Can someone make tomorrow night come, like, right now?

I got into the ScD program at Harvard - EH department with a concentration in Environmental Epi

Hey Robinssmc, multiple questions ahead!

Why did you decide to go ahead and accept the offer? Have you heard from all the other schools you applied to? Did you ever hear anything about
funding from UT?
Good questions! No I didn't hear back from all schools but I figured I would not have good chances of getting in the likes of Harvard. No, I'm still to hear from UT about funding: I am just hoping by accepting early I would give myself more chances of getting scholarship...

Any SD Epi/ Infectious Disease track out there who received decisions from Harvard? Still no email; wondering when would I receive something?

First rejection- rejected from Health and Behavioral Science program at JHU. Oh well! I was only in position to accept offers that would be fully funded and from what I've been hearing JHU hasn't been able to offer that recently. The waiting process continues!

Rejected! Harvard Epi SD. Another one bites the dust...

In the grad cafe, somebody posted PhD Epi results for Drexel U! I can't wait no more.....

Hey everyone! Quick question: do most schools send out their decisions in waves? I applied to Johns Hopkins HBS and Columbia SMS and have not heard any news but have seen some results on grad cafe. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Quick question: do most schools send out their decisions in waves? I applied to Johns Hopkins HBS and Columbia SMS and have not heard any news but have seen some results on grad cafe. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, waiting on Hopkins. The weird thing is that they have also sent out waiting list notifications, so I think it's not looking so good. Grad Cafe doesn't show many (any?) late acceptances in previous years.

I would have liked to write something encouraging, but that's my honest assessment.

I'm in the same boat, waiting on Hopkins. The weird thing is that they have also sent out waiting list notifications, so I think it's not looking so good. Grad Cafe doesn't show many (any?) late acceptances in previous years.

I would have liked to write something encouraging, but that's my honest assessment.

Yup! No acceptances posted yet and only one waitlist, although in 2013 most people found out this week so we shall see! Do you know if it can change throughout the day or if at 7 AM it doesnt change it will not change for the day?

Yup! No acceptances posted yet and only one waitlist, although in 2013 most people found out this week so we shall see! Do you know if it can change throughout the day or if at 7 AM it doesnt change it will not change for the day?

I'd love to tell you that it doesn't change during the day, so I can relieve you of having to check all the time. The truth is that I have no idea :)

Did anyone apply to a DrPH program? If so, where and have you heard an admissions decision?