2014 Special Species Symposium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'd like to invite you all to attend the 2014 Special Species Symposium that is being hosted at Penn Vet this year from April 4-6th.

For those of you that don't know, this is a symposium focused on exotics and wildlife medicine. We'll have a number of speakers and wet labs for veterinary students to participate in. Lectures are open to everyone, including pre-vet students. Veterinarians and vet techs are even able to get CE credit!

For more information and to see our confirmed lectures/wet labs, visit http://www.dolphin.upenn.edu/sssup/index.html

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, or post here. I'm a member of the committee and can hopefully get you an answer pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My interest in this and the fact that it is the week before our finals is very much warring. Although I could listen to lectures in the car, right? ...right?

Do you know what the chances of actually being placed with a vet student for lodging are if we request that asap? That would make a rather significant difference in the cost/feasibility of the trip for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My interest in this and the fact that it is the week before our finals is very much warring. Although I could listen to lectures in the car, right? ...right?

Do you know what the chances of actually being placed with a vet student for lodging are if we request that asap? That would make a rather significant difference in the cost/feasibility of the trip for me.

I think they're fairly good (especially if you indicate it right away), but I'll ask the president of our committee and find out how many people on average we usually get to host students. I know my house will be willing and we probably have room for a few since I could always stay at my bf's and we have two sofa beds.

I think they're fairly good (especially if you indicate it right away), but I'll ask the president of our committee and find out how many people on average we usually get to host students. I know my house will be willing and we probably have room for a few since I could always stay at my bf's and we have two sofa beds.

Sounds great! I didn't see an option to indicate my interest in lodging on the registration, though, should I send an email about that?

Sounds great! I didn't see an option to indicate my interest in lodging on the registration, though, should I send an email about that?

I shall double check on that. I thought we were going to have a box to indicate that, but maybe not. We were supposed to have a committee meeting today, but with the snow day, our class schedule is all messed up and we're all confused. I'll let you know when I have an answer.

Last edited:
That is seriously tempting. I love me some exotic animal medicine symposia.

Just heard back. We'll be sending out a separate email/letter where you can let us know about whether or not you want to stay with a student, what T-shirt size you want and what your wet lab preferences are.

I have a powerful need for exotics or zoo related symposia/conferences this year. I'll still have like... a week to study for finals, right? ...right?

Just bumping to say that I am SO EXCITED that I decided to just suck it up and go to this right before finals. I got both of the ferret wetlabs I wanted (dentistry and adrenalectomy!) and additionally into the emergency clinical techniques and radiology ones. I'm not looking forward to the drive, but am so psyched to attend. :D

I'd like to invite you all to attend the 2014 Special Species Symposium that is being hosted at Penn Vet this year from April 4-6th.
Well, if they didn't schedule our open house the same weekend (we're all required to be there), it might have been nice to travel back up north for a few days. :/