2015-2016 Anesthesiology Applications and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got one from one of my top choices yesterday. Don't lose hope just yet!

i also heard from a program today and one last week. they're both in my home state though.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone out there cancel there SUNY downstate interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone out there cancelled or is planning to cancel their UCLA interview(s)?

Has anyone interviewed/is interviewing at Wayne State? Please PM me!

Anyone have a chance to checkout the 2016 ERAS prelim data?

It looks like total applicants are down about 6%; however, applications per person are up 8%. This has led to a slight increase in apps received per program.

I just thought it was interesting data. Fewer people sending out more apps. Wonder if there may be a bigger wave of late cancelations coming this year...

Last edited:
Anyone have a chance to checkout the 2016 ERAS prelim data?

It looks like total applicants were down about 6%; however, applications per person are up 8%. This has led to a slight increase in apps received per program.

I just thought it was interesting data. Fewer people sending out more apps. Wonder if there may be a bigger wave of late cancelations coming this year...

Where did you find this?

This makes me feel a lot better. Word on my interview trail so far was that this was a record breaking season for applications. If it's due to more apps per person I'm happy with that. :thumbup:

If at any point anyone decides to cancel their interview at Jackson Memorial (Miami), PM me. Please and thank you.

Not sure if you checked, but there are three spots open on Thalamus as of right now.

Reactions: 1 user
"anyone interviewed at Rutgers RWJMS? I heard they are on probation. I am planning to cancel that interview if the interview was shady. Can anyone please comment on how the interview went?"

+1

Can anyone comment about whether or not Vandy is still doing the behavioral interviews??

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's hard to get a full appreciation of a program and its offerings from one IV place so I was hoping anyone here could help with ranking the programs I've interviewed at so far. I'll list them by city.
Drexel vs Temple
SUNY Downstate
Metrohealth case western
Cook county

Thanks

Can anyone comment about whether or not Vandy is still doing the behavioral interviews??

Most places that I have interviewed have at least had one person ask a behavioral type question.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on sending emails or the such to let programs know you're still very interested in them. This being after you already sent thank you cards/emails after your interview. I've heard some people be very for it and some not so much...

Most places that I have interviewed have at least had one person ask a behavioral type question.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on sending emails or the such to let programs know you're still very interested in them. This being after you already sent thank you cards/emails after your interview. I've heard some people be very for it and some not so much...

Really? I've only had one like that. Most of mine are pretty conversational. And I get the sense that programs are talking about you and ranking you as soon as the interview day is over

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an interview at NYU on January 7th or 8th that they plan to cancel or are okay moving to the end of January? Trying to avoid flying back and forth across the country a bunch of times. Send me a message if you can help!

how far in advance did you hear from UMiami before the interview. I have mine scheduled for next Friday and haven't heard anything yet. I tried reaching out to the PC.

Really? I've only had one like that. Most of mine are pretty conversational. And I get the sense that programs are talking about you and ranking you as soon as the interview day is over

My program does this. I know a few friends programs also do this for certain as well.

anyone interviewed at Rutgers RWJMS? I heard they are on probation. I am planning to cancel that interview if the interview was shady. Can anyone please comment on how the interview went?

I interviewed there. I actually enjoyed my day. The issues that they've had seem to be getting resolved. The new PD is a great guy and was completely honest with us from the jump. I like the program, especially the area. It just sucks that they're on probation. Would have definitely been my number 1.

Hey is anyone with a NYU interview on January 7th planning on cancelling/changing the date? If so please PM me, it would be a huge help for me to minimize travel costs. Thanks a lot!

Has anyone else had a program tell you that if you don't rank them #1 then you will not match there because they don't go down very far on their rank list?

It doesn't really unless they will move you up their rank list because of it.
That's what I was thinking. They probably expect you to tell them you're ranking them #1 or they won't rank you to match. Which makes me not want to rank them highly.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. They probably expect you to tell them you're ranking them #1 or they won't rank you to match.
It might just be the difference between them ranking you #60 vs #20. If they only go down to #30 each year, then there's not really much difference between the two though.

Has anyone else had a program tell you that if you don't rank them #1 then you will not match there because they don't go down very far on their rank list?

Presumably you won't match there because you'll match to your number 1 instead so their match list becomes irrelevant.

Any PD that makes that statement deserves to be lied to. They are either lying to you, don't understand how the match works, are blatantly disregarding the rules of decorum in the match, preying on the poor understanding of the system that many students have, or just plain unethical. I always tell my students that, if someone tells you that your rank will depend on where you tell them that you are ranking them, it is a match violation and your only suitable recourse is to tell them you are ranking them number one. Reporting them to the NRMP may help someone in the future, but it would hurt you in the short term. Not worth it. Sometimes you just have to play the game. It is annoying that there are still PD's doing this.

Reactions: 1 users
Any PD that makes that statement deserves to be lied to. They are either lying to you, don't understand how the match works, are blatantly disregarding the rules of decorum in the match, preying on the poor understanding of the system that many students have, or just plain unethical. I always tell my students that, if someone tells you that your rank will depend on where you tell them that you are ranking them, it is a match violation and your only suitable recourse is to tell them you are ranking them number one. Reporting them to the NRMP may help someone in the future, but it would hurt you in the short term. Not worth it. Sometimes you just have to play the game. It is annoying that there are still PD's doing this.
I agree. I really liked this program but was turned off by that statement.

Maybe I'm being too naive, but I wonder if their intent was just conveyed very poorly. I've interviewed at a couple places that very bluntly stated something along the lines of "We have tons of applicants. We don't know who all really wants to come here. If you do, you need to let us know." In a way, that's basically asking applicants to let them know if they're #1 (not exactly, but again, I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt). To me this approach seems appropriate.

Maybe I'm being too naive, but I wonder if their intent was just conveyed very poorly. I've interviewed at a couple places that very bluntly stated something along the lines of "We have tons of applicants. We don't know who all really wants to come here. If you do, you need to let us know." In a way, that's basically asking applicants to let them know if they're #1 (not exactly, but again, I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt). To me this approach seems appropriate.

Even if their heart is in the right place, people came all the way there at significant expense to interview with them. Does it really matter how bad someone wants to go there? And if every applicant puts them #1 then who does that help? No one except them. Also, it's not how the match works.

Seems that this process is all about fit.

I've had several places say similar things. I feel like statements like that defeat the purpose of the match.

Even if their heart is in the right place, people came all the way there at significant expense to interview with them. Does it really matter how bad someone wants to go there? And if every applicant puts them #1 then who does that help? No one except them. Also, it's not how the match works.

Seems that this process is all about fit.

I think it does matter to an extent. You want to have residents who want to be at your program. I'm not saying every applicant should rank them #1. The only programs I've heard this from are lower tier programs that really aren't that competitive.

I'll try to give an example (with albeit a very unlikely scenario): say a program has 3 spots. Their top 10 candidates probably don't have a huge difference between them on paper, but let's say their top candidates rank them low on their list (not really caring to go there), but end up matching there anyway. Whereas if your #10 candidate said "hey, I love you guys, I'm ranking you first," you could have a candidate match at your program who really wanted to be there.

If I were PD, I'd rather have a great candidate who wanted to be part of my program than an exemplary candidate who didn't.

Again, probably still really naive on my end, but that was my thought process on the matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Where you rank a program doesn't change how much you loved it. It just means that in this case, a program coerced you into ranking them higher. That doesn't make them want it any more and probably makes them want it less.

The whole match algorithm makes it so that you and the programs get the best possible match, taking everyone's preferences into account. Everyone likes the hot girl but if they all try to match with her, most of them are going to get left out in the cold. Do you think the ugly girl will feel any better that the guy she ends up with reluctantly put her at the top of his preferences because she forced him to? Will it make her any prettier?

It's stupid and goes against both the spirit as well as the mechanism of the match

Just tell every program they are number one.....haha
I would advise against this, since many of the program directors know each other well. You may eventually wish to do a fellowship at some of these locations and PD's remember when they feel like they have been blatantly lied to. Above, I mentioned that the ones who game the system deserve to be lied to. I stand by that, since you have to look out for your best interests. Your goal is to be as high on the rank lists as you can at all programs you plan to rank. If a PD tells you that this is the only way to be ranked highly, then you should do what you need to do.

does anyone know how the categorical vs advanced works? Like, say program A takes 24 residents. 12 are categorical, 12 advanced. Say they rank only 24, and the 24 rank them #1. Are the ones ranked 1-12 given the categorical positions unless an applicant in the top 12 specifies advanced first?

does anyone know how the categorical vs advanced works? Like, say program A takes 24 residents. 12 are categorical, 12 advanced. Say they rank only 24, and the 24 rank them #1. Are the ones ranked 1-12 given the categorical positions unless an applicant in the top 12 specifies advanced first?
They are essentially two separate programs, and you as the applicant have the choice to apply to both or just one. Programs will have separate rank lists for each, and when a program decides to rank an applicant applying to both, they will be on both lists. Where the applicant falls on each list is up to the program, and may be ranked in a different order.

There hasn't been much posts on the spreadsheet lately. Is there anyone else who can talk about impressions after visiting UVA's or GW's programs i.e work hours?

Does anyone know what is going on with UCI anesthesia? I heard their Chair has decided to step down and that they have an acting Program Director. Sounds like a mess. Any input from people who interviewed there?

Does anyone know what is going on with UCI anesthesia? I heard their Chair has decided to step down and that they have an acting Program Director. Sounds like a mess. Any input from people who interviewed there?

Wow. All the PSH noise/work coming out of there didn't stabilize things...

Any thoughts on the Manhattan programs? My personal order is cornell > nyu > sinai, but it's debatable...(I did not interview at columbia)

Anyone get any interview invites the past couple days? I'm wondering I'm they are just about done or if one or two more will come through. Thanks