2015-2016 Anesthesiology Applications and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
little old DO me with a step 1 score below 210 and bottom 50 grades is so happy to finally be getting some more invites (6 today). i improved by 33 points on step 2 which i took super early. according to charting outcomes, IMGs/DOs need to rank 11 programs to have a 90% chance of matching which is sad, but i'm taking what i can get!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
little old DO me with a step 1 score below 210 and bottom 50 grades is so happy to finally be getting some more invites (6 today). i improved by 33 points on step 2 which i took super early. according to charting outcomes, IMGs/DOs need to rank 11 programs to have a 90% chance of matching which is sad, but i'm taking what i can get!

Nice man good luck

how many interviews should you have by now to feel somewhat safe for the match? at what number would anybody considering applying to additional programs at this hour?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
how many interviews should you have by now to feel somewhat safe for the match? anybody considering applying to additional programs at this hour?
Tough call. Very applicant dependent, but I would say 15ish is pretty darn safe for most.

Here's another question... If a program sends you an interview early (and you do well at the interview), are you more likely to be ranked highly than those that received interview invites later in the season?

Charting outcomes if you are a single applicant your going to be more than fine with 10 interviews. You will most likely be fine with 6-8 honestly. Couples matching is a completely different ball game and depends on the two applicants credentials.

Reactions: 1 users
Just looking for some helpful insight...
Step 1 :260
Step 2: 248
Honors in almost all electives.
LORs from Program Director and 2 Staff Anesthetists (who have personally assured me they are great letters)
2 publications
IMG - (Carribean) and Candian

only have 2 interviews. Is it just the IMG/Canadian thing or must I have some red flag I am unaware of?

Just looking for some helpful insight...
Step 1 :260
Step 2: 248
Honors in almost all electives.
LORs from Program Director and 2 Staff Anesthetists (who have personally assured me they are great letters)
2 publications
IMG - (Carribean) and Candian

only have 2 interviews. Is it just the IMG/Canadian thing or must I have some red flag I am unaware of?

IMG thing.

The reason I ask is that I know US IMGs who have matched into top programs with lower scores/grades etc.

I'm a US citizen carib student with similar step 1 but a little higher step 2. I have 13 IVs. I'd assume what's holding you back is your need for a VISA, not necessarily a red flag or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an interview invite from Henry Ford two weeks ago. Responded with date request through ERAS the following day. Didn't hear anything for 5 days, then sent a direct e-mail to an address listed in the interview invitation e-mail. Still haven't heard anything back. Called both numbers listed on the e-mail on 4 or 5 different business days and never an answer. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what is going on? Been through residency interviews in the past and never experienced something like this, seems pretty unprofessional.

Still waiting to hear from a bunch of programs. Is it better to call programs or to email. Also, what should you include in the email? Anyone have any luck from contacting programs?

^If you don't mind me asking are you an AMG MD.....and what general ball park are your board scores? From my understanding many schools are rolling invites and they may have either looked at your app and put it in the "I will decide later pile" or they just have not seen it at all yet.

^If you don't mind me asking are you an AMG MD.....and what general ball park are your board scores? From my understanding many schools are rolling invites and they may have either looked at your app and put it in the "I will decide later pile" or they just have not seen it at all yet.

I am a DO student with a 240+ step 1 and a 255+ step 2. Will calling possibly bump my app from "I will decide later pile" to invite pile by showing interest in the program.

IMO if they are still at the point in reviewing (for example NC schools as they are typically later/roling) it won't make any difference. I think you will hear from some more programs over the next couple of weeks. Either you will be invited after being reviewed or people with many interviews will begin to rearrange and have some inevitable cancellations.

I am a DO student with a 240+ step 1 and a 255+ step 2. Will calling possibly bump my app from "I will decide later pile" to invite pile by showing interest in the program.
It's still early yo. Worry in mid-November. No you're not in the first wave, but like Sleepy said, soon many people (including myself) will be cancelling invites and unsatisfied programs will be shooting out more invites. Chill baby.

I have no prelim interviews. Is it too late to apply to more? What's the situation with you guys?

I have no prelim interviews. Is it too late to apply to more? What's the situation with you guys?

I have 3 prelim invites, one of which is from my own institution. Got 2 prelim rejections so far.

I only have 7 Anesthesia invites and it's getting late in the game. Should I be contacting programs I haven't heard from? Or should I not be too concerned just yet? It's too late to add more programs I'm assuming.

Last edited:

Got a few. A lot of programs are categorical so I don't think you'll be in too much trouble but you might want to add some surgery prelims. It would be terrible to match advanced only and then have to try to soap for a prelim spot.

I have 3 prelim invites, one of which is from my own institution. Got 2 prelim rejections so far.

I only have 7 Anesthesia invites and it's getting late in the game. Should I be contacting programs I haven't heard from? Or should I not be too concerned just yet? It's too late to add more programs I'm assuming.

I got an interview this week. But I don't think it would hurt to contact the programs you are interested in. If you get around 10 you should be very good to go.

Last edited:
Got a few. A lot of programs are categorical so I don't think you'll be in too much trouble but you might want to add some surgery prelims. It would be terrible to match advanced only and then have to try to soap for a prelim spot.

I have 6 so far but they are all at small low tier community programs. How many prelim interviews should we go on ideally?

I'm getting worried myself. I have gotten invites to some really great programs but rejected from 2 others. But for the most part I haven't heard from most of the places I have applied.

hey guys, it's november. i think most of us have a pretty good idea of what our interview #'s are going to be, especially those of us at the high end. today, i cut my interviews from 19 to 12. i'm still waiting on 3 programs that i would love to interview with. if you're sitting on a $hit ton of interviews (20+, i know you're out there) just to tell your friends how rad you are, now is the time to be a team player (remember, from your personal statement?) and cancel interviews at the programs you aren't really going to consider. i'm not saying you have to drop to 12, but you know which ones you're only holding bc you can't pull the cancellation trigger. listen to shia, just do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I've searched this but couldn't really come to the conclusion. Is it possible to match into an advance program and then scramble into a transitional year?

I've searched this but couldn't really come to the conclusion. Is it possible to match into an advance program and then scramble into a transitional year?

I doubt you could scramble into a TY, but certainly you could scramble into a prelim.

hey guys, it's november. i think most of us have a pretty good idea of what our interview #'s are going to be, especially those of us at the high end. today, i cut my interviews from 19 to 12. i'm still waiting on 3 programs that i would love to interview with. if you're sitting on a $hit ton of interviews (20+, i know you're out there) just to tell your friends how rad you are, now is the time to be a team player (remember, from your personal statement?) and cancel interviews at the programs you aren't really going to consider. i'm not saying you have to drop to 12, but you know which ones you're only holding bc you can't pull the cancellation trigger. listen to shia, just do it.

i love this post

edit just realized there is a like function smh i'm sorry for being redundant

Anyone get this from Johns Hopkins? Not sure if it's a rejection or a waitlist notification.

Thank you for applying to the Johns Hopkins Anesthesiology program. I regret that all of our interview positions have been offered. I apologize and wish that we had the time and resources to meet each of you. If something opens up we will contact you.

The fact that you haven't been invited to our program at this date doesn't mean you aren't going to be successful in the Match or an excellent anesthesiologist. Based on
last year's statistics your chances of a successful match are still very high.

Good luck with your search and we will certainly contact you if anything changes!

That sounds like a rejection email, I received the wait list email a week or so ago and it clearly stated that I had been placed on the wait list etc etc..

That sounds like a rejection email, I received the wait list email a week or so ago and it clearly stated that I had been placed on the wait list etc etc..

I received a different version...

Your application for a position in the Anesthesiology
program at the Johns Hopkins Hospital has been reviewed by our Admissions
Committee. I regret that all of our interview positions have currently been offered. However we still do consider you a valuable candidate and would like to keep you on our waitlist. If an opening becomes available we will either call or send email, depending on the interval of time that we have to get you scheduled.
I am sorry that we could not offer you something outright.

I received a different version...

Your application for a position in the Anesthesiology
program at the Johns Hopkins Hospital has been reviewed by our Admissions
Committee. I regret that all of our interview positions have currently been offered. However we still do consider you a valuable candidate and would like to keep you on our waitlist. If an opening becomes available we will either call or send email, depending on the interval of time that we have to get you scheduled.
I am sorry that we could not offer you something outright.

Sounds like you're at the top of the waitlist

Has anyone received an interview off the Hopkins wait list or know of anyone last year that heard back after being on the wait list?

If anyone is planning on dropping their Northwestern interview on Thalamus PLEASE coordinate (PM) with me so I can take your spot. I would be incredibly grateful. I was offered an interview last week but all interview dates were full when I (immediately) signed on Thalamus. So, I'm essentially wait listed until someone drops. :/

Anyone know what's going on with UCLA? They seem to have sent only a single small batch of invites this year compared to years past. Only 3 SDNers posted interview invites so far, all on 10/15/15. Does anyone have any reliable inside information? Thx.

Plenty of people in real life that aren't on sdn

Sure, I understand that. However, UCLA has 20+ spots every year, and 1 small batch (3 people strong) reported on SDN is a far cry both from years past and other much smaller programs for which SDNers posted interview invitations this cycle. So while your explanation is certainly possible, I don't know how likely it is. So I was looking for the inside scoop. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, is it safe to say most places are completely finished sending out invites?

Maybe as far as major rounds of invites, but No not completely finished. There will be cancellations and schedule changes that will result in new invites being sent out, even through January.

Anyone interviewing at Northwestern on 12/4 who would be willing to switch dates with me? I am set to interview in early December, but need to switch dates due to logistical issues.

Has anyone heard from any preliminary programs yet? I applied to very few but haven't heard back from anyone. Seems like it is getting late in the season? Or I don't know anything about prelims..

Has anyone heard from any preliminary programs yet? I applied to very few but haven't heard back from anyone. Seems like it is getting late in the season? Or I don't know anything about prelims..

I've only had one prelim interview. Rejected from two. Crickets from the rest. However, I'm honestly wondering if I would even go now...

Heard back from less than half