2015-2016 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)
  • Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)
  • Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1-2 pages, PDF form)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any current students willing to give some insight into their personal experience going to school here/their own application process that lead to an acceptance?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. Good luck yall!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll post when I get home from work, sorry! It's one long essay (up to 2 pages). I received it like two hours ago

Hm, as far as I know they don't prescreen, hopefully I get mine soon then! One of my top choices

Same as last year's folks:

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 char)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 char)

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1-2 pages)
Please upload a file (PDF file only, file cannot be larger than 2MB)

--

on another note, they ask for a passport style photo -- does anyone know what's the proper way to take this photo? white background and no smiling? (that was my passport photo lolzzz)

Reactions: 1 users
on another note, they ask for a passport style photo -- does anyone know what's the proper way to take this photo? white background and no smiling? (that was my passport photo lolzzz)

It should be about 2" x 2", white background, headshot-style. I would smile though ;)

even while pre-writing still having hard time differentiating these two questions:

1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 char)
vs.

2. Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1-2 pages)

^ one is a diversity essay. the other is why georgetown

Members don't see this ad :)
^ one is a diversity essay. the other is why georgetown

Yes, I understand that one can compartmentalize them theoretically.
But much of my "diversity" <---goes hand in hand with----> "why Georgetown"

+1 Secondary. Good luck y'all!

Received secondary as well! Looks like they're sending them out much earlier than previous years.

Last edited:
+1 Secondary just received.

I'm starting to get a wave of them. I completed the one I had sitting in my inbox, then another came. By the time I finished that one I had two more. Ahh!!! Bye bye disposable income :[

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 char)

Is this in any way similar to the "describe an experience that [criteria]" prompts? Or is is safe to bypass this prompt?

"Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 char)"

Can anyone shed some light on this essay question? Is it like diversity or what exactly are they trying to get at. Thanks for any suggestions!

Is the 1-2 page essay single spaced or double spaced? I'll probably write the same amount either way, I just want to make sure that if it is double spaced that I don't send them too long of an essay.

Is the 1-2 page essay single spaced or double spaced? I'll probably write the same amount either way, I just want to make sure that if it is double spaced that I don't send them too long of an essay.
I would also like to know the answer to this. I feel like double spaced makes more sense but then one might send in too short of an essay. The opposite is true for single.

I have a professional headshot of myself where I am in a suite and looking to the camera from an angle (super cheesy I know). On the secondary it says to upload a "passport style photo". Do you think it will be acceptable to just upload my professional headshot instead

"Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 char)"

Can anyone shed some light on this essay question? Is it like diversity or what exactly are they trying to get at. Thanks for any suggestions!
Would also like to hear approaches to this question.

The question is the exact same as last year. Perhaps use the 5000 characters as a guiding principle for length.

I understand that Georgetown is a Catholic university, but I myself am not religious. Does anyone know how prevalent religion is in their med school community? Thanks.

My application only shows Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1-2 pages)...

Any current students willing to give some insight into their personal experience going to school here/their own application process that lead to an acceptance?

I'm not attending, but I was accepted. No real trick here or me, except a note. Remember to log out of their secondary system each time. If not, it gets hairy trying to log back in. I got logged out for a long time and didn't finish my secondaries until very late in the cycle (relative to now, like October/November). Still got an interview, still got an acceptance. So pace yourself and do your best. Keep in mind, they are a Jesuit school so cura personalis is probably something most people touch on in their "why georgetown?" essay. I didn't spend too much time on it, but in the interview day talk it seems that most do. Mention it, but find a way to be more unique. Keep in mind, they get like 13,000 apps every year, which ends up making them one of the most selective schools in the country. So don't get your hopes up. It's kind of random.

I understand that Georgetown is a Catholic university, but I myself am not religious. Does anyone know how prevalent religion is in their med school community? Thanks.

In the talk on interview day she went out of her way to say that nobody is expected to be religious, and that those values won't be inherently forced on you. As far as that being prevalent amongst the students, I didn't really get that impression meeting the students on the interview.

I absolutely loved Georgetown. I really didn't know what to expect, and it blew me away on interview day. Didn't end up going, but would have been happy there. They also spend something like 12 weeks on their surgery clerkship with 6 general, and 3-two week subspecialty weeks. So if you're interested in surgery, that may be a bonus.

So I received Georgetown secondary 7/1 around afternoon but then I just received another email with the title "Online account information" saying this email is to confirm your new online secondary application account for georgetown and instructions on how to set up account for secondary AGAIN. Anyone receive the same thing?

Reactions: 2 users
So I received Georgetown secondary 7/1 around afternoon but then I just received another email with the title "Online account information" saying this email is to confirm your new online secondary application account for georgetown and instructions on how to set up account for secondary AGAIN. Anyone receive the same thing?

Yeah I got the same thing. Initially I thought it was just telling us how to change our username and password but I'm really not sure. It also says that I applied for entering class of 2015 so I think it's a pretty erroneous email.

I think the first email is the correct one. I would ignore the second one.

Yea, they just sent out an email saying to ignore the new email sent out inviting for secondary since it's the old provider.

Anyone get an email saying yesterday's secondary was an error and to wait for AMP?

Whoops didn't see above posts!

Keep in mind, they are a Jesuit school so cura personalis is probably something most people touch on in their "why georgetown?" essay. I didn't spend too much time on it, but in the interview day talk it seems that most do. Mention it, but find a way to be more unique. Keep in mind, they get like 13,000 apps every year, which ends up making them one of the most selective schools in the country. So don't get your hopes up. It's kind of random..
Thanks for the insight! How long was your essay for this prompt? 5000 characters seems a little ambitious, unless they're expecting us to stroke their ego. There's only so many ways you can say how you think Georgetown is a good fit for you.

I'm also interested in the "further information" question. I will frame the essay question at 5000 characters and then just go double spaced, I think.

I feel like they know what they are getting into and wouldn't punish anyone that did a single spaced two page essay or anyone that did a double spaced one page essay. This isn't the first application cycle for them so I would just type whatever you want and probably choose double spaced if you can but revert to single spaced if it is too long.

Anyone getting an issue after secondary submissions under "STATUS?"

I have two red exclamation marks stating that I have an incomplete application and incomplete letters of rec. AMCAS has my letters and the first box under "STATUS" marks my application as submitted.

Anyone getting an issue after secondary submissions under "STATUS?"

I have two red exclamation marks stating that I have an incomplete application and incomplete letters of rec. AMCAS has my letters and the first box under "STATUS" marks my application as submitted.

+1. Letters in on AMCAS, but say not there, and by extension application incomplete.

+1. Letters in on AMCAS, but say not there, and by extension application incomplete.
Ah, I see. Thank you! Other schools have also listed the same issue so I will assume it is due to the same reason.

I read another school email that said they need to download letters separately from AMCAS.

Most schools won't have your letters yet, even if they have been on the AMCAS for a while. My status for every school I've gotten a secondary from says they don't have mine, even though the AMCAS has them. I think most schools are trying to get caught up with sending out secondaries before they start downloading letters.

Has anyone else gotten multiple secondary invites from this school? I got two separate emails to different URLs both for the Georgetown secondary application.

Has anyone else gotten multiple secondary invites from this school? I got two separate emails to different URLs both for the Georgetown secondary application.
If you look at previous posts in this thread, several users have discussed this issue. They sent out one in error, and you should have received a follow-up email explaining that.

Does anyone have an idea what "bring educational benefits to our student body" means on the secondary?

Does anyone have an idea what "bring educational benefits to our student body" means on the secondary?
It's kind of open for interpretation. In a broad context, there are countless things that can positively contribute to the education of the student body. Interpret it how you want, just make sure you can explain your reasoning well.