2015-2016 Official Interview Thread; Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Try the search function. It has been hashed out on this forum numerous times.

If I posted said question here it was because I was looking for input from this cycle of applicants.

Thanks anyways, Dr Dumb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it Mr. Cool ice or Mr. Coo Lice, both very cool but both very different lol:p

524f656e1605fb4ee6000021.jpg

Sup. Still working on my catch phrase, accepting suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm under the impression that graduating from a PGY4 program makes the transition into an academic job–fresh out of residency–an easier one. I am interested in academics, so I will probably rank the PGY4 programs I interviewed at highly.

Anyone care to comment on the cons/pros of 3- vs. 4-year programs?

I was told at a 4 year institution that they will not hire fresh 3 year grads as attendings since they will be the same level as the PGY-4's. Same goes with Fellows at the program; they cannot supervise 4th year residents if the fellow is a 3 year grad. As for 3 year programs, I think they're great if you want to get out and make that 250k+ sooner.

My honest guess is that if you haven't canceled a place by now, it's very unlikely that your gonna cancel it at all. Just my humble $0.02.

I guess we will find out in the next couple weeks. I know I went from pretty gung-ho to very burnt out over the last 2 weeks of December between holidays and traveling for interviews so I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same. I'm a few below the magic 15 but should have more than enough to match so I consider myself lucky and if I can schedule 1 or 2 more its really to soothe my own neuroses at this point lol.

I was told at a 4 year institution that they will not hire fresh 3 year grads as attendings since they will be the same level as the PGY-4's. Same goes with Fellows at the program; they cannot supervise 4th year residents if the fellow is a 3 year grad. As for 3 year programs, I think they're great if you want to get out and make that 250k+ sooner.

Thats pretty much it. I've also been told that 3.5 years would be the perfect length, the first few months of 4th year can be beneficial as you are essentially acting an an attending but by halfway through you are ready to get the hell out. Other's in 3 year programs have said that being a first year attending is essentially them being a PGY4 but being paid for it. I think both views are fairly accurate.

I'm going to be ranking a 4 year program in my top 4 or 5 but I do feel that a lot of the 4 year programs basically use the 4th years as cheap attending coverage because in most cases they are operating with minimal supervision while the real attendings focus on the 1st and 2nd years.

The biggest thing is fit, if you are happy at a 4 year program it will go by a lot faster than a 3 year program you hate.

Edited to delete my whiney post. This has been a long season... we're almost there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
deleted my post out of respect for not showing your whiny post ;). 11 is a solid number just FYI lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we will find out in the next couple weeks. I know I went from pretty gung-ho to very burnt out over the last 2 weeks of December between holidays and traveling for interviews so I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same. I'm a few below the magic 15 but should have more than enough to match so I consider myself lucky and if I can schedule 1 or 2 more its really to soothe my own neuroses at this point lol.
15 isn't the magic number anyway. There's no statistical benefit beyond 12. And really, 10 or above is essentially a guaranteed match.

Reactions: 1 users
15 isn't the magic number anyway. There's no statistical benefit beyond 12. And really, 10 or above is essentially a guaranteed match.

I agree, I think people gravitate towards 15 because its the upper end of the range, but really your chances of matching aren't very good if the first 8 places don't want you.

I have 10 and cancelled 1 so I would like 1 or 2 more because one is a dual program and I'll be a DO ranking it in the MD match. Everyone who has been through it says I'm fine but its tough to see that at this point, I guess we just all need to relax and trust the system because it does seem to work for most people and I have not personally met anyone who did not match unless they had red flags or other glaring problems (no auditions, no SLOE's, only had 3 interviews), etc.

I agree, I think people gravitate towards 15 because its the upper end of the range, but really your chances of matching aren't very good if the first 8 places don't want you.

I have 10 and cancelled 1 so I would like 1 or 2 more because one is a dual program and I'll be a DO ranking it in the MD match. Everyone who has been through it says I'm fine but its tough to see that at this point, I guess we just all need to relax and trust the system because it does seem to work for most people and I have not personally met anyone who did not match unless they had red flags or other glaring problems (no auditions, no SLOE's, only had 3 interviews), etc.

That's my irrational fear as well... what if you bombed most or if not all interviews. It's not like these interviews have much substance so I can't imagine how they are splitting hairs besides what's in our paper application ...when you think about the ripple effect everyone's lists are gonna happen I think just trusting the system will have us matching where we should be ...at least I hope!

I am going to 15. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?
Once I had the others scheduled I canceled 5.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?

I did.

I am going to 15. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?

I started with a couple AOA programs and then cancelled like 10 and declined another 3 or 4 as soon as I was comfortable with my ACGME invite #.

It's very common among applicants (unless you're a rockstar with 15 interviews in mid October).

one of my earlier programs i would not want to match at having gone to the rest but I still recognize it as better than the SOAP

At the time I was grateful for anything and took it. I think that's why they tried to do that all invites release at the same time but it didn't end up happening. I feel like there were a lot of folks getting 20+ and then a lot getting <10 with a trickle up

I am also having buyers remorse on a couple I interviewed at. I'm sticking with 15 because I am not taking any chances.

Got another invite today. That's 2 in 4 days...declined both. Each invite cited something to the effect of "due to recent cancellations we would like to extend an interview", blah blah blah. I believe the January movement has begun.

Got another invite today. That's 2 in 4 days...declined both. Each invite cited something to the effect of "due to recent cancellations we would like to extend an interview", blah blah blah. I believe the January movement has begun.

Same here.

Detroit and Mass ... And there are spots open on all my Interview Broker places for the entire month of January. Last week the one in UNorth Carolina had 2-3 waiting on each day. This week they are all available.

I've been done since early december with 9 interviews.

Declined/Rejected from 2 other apps, never heard back from either cleveland program (13 apps total). Dunno if they're still offering interviews (probably not) but I'm somewhat contented with the 9 I have, which includes my #1 program.

Got an invite from Buffalo this week which I declined. I'm sitting at 11 interviews which I'm happy with. Not going on any more unless something awesome comes up.

I've been done since early december with 9 interviews.

Declined/Rejected from 2 other apps, never heard back from either cleveland program (13 apps total). Dunno if they're still offering interviews (probably not) but I'm somewhat contented with the 9 I have, which includes my #1 program.

From interview broker, Metro in Cleveland still has open dates.

From interview broker, Metro in Cleveland still has open dates.

rofl

well, I guess they just don't want me. And I'm not curious enough to ask for an invite, so I think I'm done.

rofl

well, I guess they just don't want me. And I'm not curious enough to ask for an invite, so I think I'm done.

At one of my interviews, I asked the program director what about my application interested him to send me an invite. He kindly replied, "nothing. I remember the email you sent me of your interest in our program and thought, wow, she must really want to come here." After my email, he then read my application for the first time. He then said there are many cancellations at this point unless he's given a reason, he's not sending out invites.

If there is a program your interested in, given all the cancellations, I think there's still a chance. My last 3 interviews I scheduled were within a week of sending them emails.

Has anyone who was waitlisted at Arkansas been given an interview?

Also does Orlando Regional have any interviews days open on interview broker?

Thank you.

Anyone know if In-N-Out Burger has spots open on Interview Broker?

I know a guy who knows a guy who got an invite there. He said there was only one interview date offered. It was October 1st.

Sorry to break the bad news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is downstate still interviewing? And does anyone have a contact email besides the generic one listed on eras?

At Allegheny, when did the faculty interviews end, and did the day really stretch to 4pm? I'm taking the bus to NYC that eve and one option leaves at 3:30...

Thanks all, best wishes!

Is downstate still interviewing? And does anyone have a contact email besides the generic one listed on eras?

They are; I have an interview over there later this month. The only contact email I could find on a quick email search is the one from their website:

"Stephanie Lane, Residency Coordinator
EM Categorical Residency: [email protected]
Combined EM/IM Residency: [email protected]
Phone: 718-245-3320
Fax: 718-245-4799"

Just got an invite for Wake. They said basically we loved too many people so we're adding a date: 1/26

Hi everyone...with the start of ranklist entry apparently tomorrow (already?!!!!!), i was wondering people's thoughts (and/or what their advisors are telling them) about sending an email love letter to your favorite program to tell them you are ranking them #1.

I was told by my advisor that these emails can be helpful with certain programs (ones which care how far down their rank list that they go), but only if you are 100% sure that you will actually be ranking the program #1, because if they decide to 'rank you to match' and you don't end up actually matching there, it can be politically ugly and that people remember these things when considering you for a job after residency (considering how all the PDs talk and etc).

The real reason I ask, is that I think I know my #1 choice, but I still have another interview at a place that I am very interested in at the end of the month, and don't want to make a premature decision on this, unless it is really likely to help my chances of matching somewhere I am really excited about. (My logic is that if the program makes their rank list before I email them, the email might be useless at that point, so it probably should be sent now/soon, if at all.)

I guess the upside of all this is that I honestly really liked every program I interviewed at, its just that geographic/family stuff is best at a couple places.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who posts on this forum--this has been very helpful to read, and also nice to know that other people were experiencing the same type of panicky few weeks at the beginning of interview season that I was. Part of the reason that EM is such an awesome field is that all of my future colleagues are genuinely good people who really take care of each other.

Best of luck to all, and I hope we all meet someday at ACEP!

Hi everyone...with the start of ranklist entry apparently tomorrow (already?!!!!!), i was wondering people's thoughts (and/or what their advisors are telling them) about sending an email love letter to your favorite program to tell them you are ranking them #1.

I was told by my advisor that these emails can be helpful with certain programs (ones which care how far down their rank list that they go), but only if you are 100% sure that you will actually be ranking the program #1, because if they decide to 'rank you to match' and you don't end up actually matching there, it can be politically ugly and that people remember these things when considering you for a job after residency (considering how all the PDs talk and etc).

The real reason I ask, is that I think I know my #1 choice, but I still have another interview at a place that I am very interested in at the end of the month, and don't want to make a premature decision on this, unless it is really likely to help my chances of matching somewhere I am really excited about. (My logic is that if the program makes their rank list before I email them, the email might be useless at that point, so it probably should be sent now/soon, if at all.)

I guess the upside of all this is that I honestly really liked every program I interviewed at, its just that geographic/family stuff is best at a couple places.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who posts on this forum--this has been very helpful to read, and also nice to know that other people were experiencing the same type of panicky few weeks at the beginning of interview season that I was. Part of the reason that EM is such an awesome field is that all of my future colleagues are genuinely good people who really take care of each other.

Best of luck to all, and I hope we all meet someday at ACEP!

My EM advisors are are recommending the sending of love letters, and soon, as they may serve as a reminder of us to the programs as they make their final lists. I don't like writing these awkward emails, haha.

I know it's common for applicants to send these emails, but is it common for programs to send out "ranking you highly" or "ranking you to match" emails to applicants?

Is it common for programs to respond in any way after receiving "ranking you #1" emails from applicants?

I know it's common for applicants to send these emails, but is it common for programs to send out "ranking you highly" or "ranking you to match" emails to applicants?

I have the same question. I had a few "thanks for coming" emails after interviews but nothing that referenced ranking. Even if it's just BS I'd love for my #1 program to send me some love...

Honestly from most people who are involved in the ranking process stated that the final rank meeting is typically held in the first or second week of February. I don't think sending an email now vs the end of January will hurt or help you. If you know your number one wait till the end of the season and than send it to your number one and only that one. People who send you are my number one to multiple programs are just asking for a butt load of pain and hurting for future endeavors. Also it's doesn't make sense to email your 2nd or 3rd top programs, it just says that they are not your number one ;)