Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try the search function. It has been hashed out on this forum numerous times.
If I posted said question here it was because I was looking for input from this cycle of applicants.
Thanks anyways, Dr Dumb.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Try the search function. It has been hashed out on this forum numerous times.
Is it Mr. Cool ice or Mr. Coo Lice, both very cool but both very different lol😛
My goodness gracious...he must have all the luck with the ladies 😉 lol.![]()
Sup. Still working on my catch phrase, accepting suggestions.
My goodness gracious...he must have all the luck with the ladies 😉 lol
And as far as catch phrases are concerned: "I'm Mr. Cool Ice, but I'll melt your heart babygirl" lol!!Yes. Yes, I do.
And my input is that you should use the search function. Cheers.If I posted said question here it was because I was looking for input from this cycle of applicants.
Thanks anyways, Dr Dumb.
How about something about how cold you are and what you are willing to sacrifice?![]()
Sup. Still working on my catch phrase, accepting suggestions.
I'm under the impression that graduating from a PGY4 program makes the transition into an academic job–fresh out of residency–an easier one. I am interested in academics, so I will probably rank the PGY4 programs I interviewed at highly.
Anyone care to comment on the cons/pros of 3- vs. 4-year programs?
My honest guess is that if you haven't canceled a place by now, it's very unlikely that your gonna cancel it at all. Just my humble $0.02.
I was told at a 4 year institution that they will not hire fresh 3 year grads as attendings since they will be the same level as the PGY-4's. Same goes with Fellows at the program; they cannot supervise 4th year residents if the fellow is a 3 year grad. As for 3 year programs, I think they're great if you want to get out and make that 250k+ sooner.
thanks, on both counts [emoji1] much appreciated!deleted my post out of respect for not showing your whiny post 😉. 11 is a solid number just FYI lol.
15 isn't the magic number anyway. There's no statistical benefit beyond 12. And really, 10 or above is essentially a guaranteed match.I guess we will find out in the next couple weeks. I know I went from pretty gung-ho to very burnt out over the last 2 weeks of December between holidays and traveling for interviews so I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same. I'm a few below the magic 15 but should have more than enough to match so I consider myself lucky and if I can schedule 1 or 2 more its really to soothe my own neuroses at this point lol.
15 isn't the magic number anyway. There's no statistical benefit beyond 12. And really, 10 or above is essentially a guaranteed match.
I agree, I think people gravitate towards 15 because its the upper end of the range, but really your chances of matching aren't very good if the first 8 places don't want you.
I have 10 and cancelled 1 so I would like 1 or 2 more because one is a dual program and I'll be a DO ranking it in the MD match. Everyone who has been through it says I'm fine but its tough to see that at this point, I guess we just all need to relax and trust the system because it does seem to work for most people and I have not personally met anyone who did not match unless they had red flags or other glaring problems (no auditions, no SLOE's, only had 3 interviews), etc.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?
I am going to 15. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?
Once I had the others scheduled I canceled 5.
I started with a couple AOA programs and then cancelled like 10 and declined another 3 or 4 as soon as I was comfortable with my ACGME invite #.
I am going to 15. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?
Once I had the others scheduled I canceled 5.
I am going to 15. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?
Once I had the others scheduled I canceled 5.
I am going to 15. I don't know about the rest of you, but I went on at least 3 in the very beginning that in hindsight I wouldn't have. However, I didn't know what was coming down the pipeline, so I felt like I had to at that point. Anyone else do this?
Once I had the others scheduled I canceled 5.
Got another invite today. That's 2 in 4 days...declined both. Each invite cited something to the effect of "due to recent cancellations we would like to extend an interview", blah blah blah. I believe the January movement has begun.
I've been done since early december with 9 interviews.
Declined/Rejected from 2 other apps, never heard back from either cleveland program (13 apps total). Dunno if they're still offering interviews (probably not) but I'm somewhat contented with the 9 I have, which includes my #1 program.
From interview broker, Metro in Cleveland still has open dates.
rofl
well, I guess they just don't want me. And I'm not curious enough to ask for an invite, so I think I'm done.
Anybody know if ohio state is still interviewing?
Anyone know if In-N-Out Burger has spots open on Interview Broker?
No [emoji20] haven't heard a peep since the wl emailAnyone get off the waitlist at Maine?
I know someone who did.Anyone get off the waitlist at Maine?
Is downstate still interviewing? And does anyone have a contact email besides the generic one listed on eras?
Hi everyone...with the start of ranklist entry apparently tomorrow (already?!!!!!), i was wondering people's thoughts (and/or what their advisors are telling them) about sending an email love letter to your favorite program to tell them you are ranking them #1.
I was told by my advisor that these emails can be helpful with certain programs (ones which care how far down their rank list that they go), but only if you are 100% sure that you will actually be ranking the program #1, because if they decide to 'rank you to match' and you don't end up actually matching there, it can be politically ugly and that people remember these things when considering you for a job after residency (considering how all the PDs talk and etc).
The real reason I ask, is that I think I know my #1 choice, but I still have another interview at a place that I am very interested in at the end of the month, and don't want to make a premature decision on this, unless it is really likely to help my chances of matching somewhere I am really excited about. (My logic is that if the program makes their rank list before I email them, the email might be useless at that point, so it probably should be sent now/soon, if at all.)
I guess the upside of all this is that I honestly really liked every program I interviewed at, its just that geographic/family stuff is best at a couple places.
Anyways, thanks to everyone who posts on this forum--this has been very helpful to read, and also nice to know that other people were experiencing the same type of panicky few weeks at the beginning of interview season that I was. Part of the reason that EM is such an awesome field is that all of my future colleagues are genuinely good people who really take care of each other.
Best of luck to all, and I hope we all meet someday at ACEP!
I know it's common for applicants to send these emails, but is it common for programs to send out "ranking you highly" or "ranking you to match" emails to applicants?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.