GOMERF: Get Outta My ER Forum - The Official EM Off-Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unpopular opinion (and I don't disagree with you about AI charting), but... this is how I've always felt about scribes. It takes me 4 minutes to dictate or type (in Epic) a chart; I know because I've timed myself more than once. It takes me a lot longer than 4 minutes per patient, over the course of a shift, to manage a scribe, especially when there's a constant revolving door of scribes. Also, having a whole other person attached to me for an entire shift is way too much extroverting for me.
I’ve always been in this camp. I’m much more efficient doing the note how I want it instead of having to go back through to proofread and edit someone else’s note. I don’t think the most efficient people in our group are using AI.
 
I think AI is going to be super useful. I just don't think we've quite figured out how to make best use of it yet.
Which boggles the mind because I can think of multiple things that it could easily do that would make my life easier (AI scribe isn't one of them).

Program my quality metrics into it, each patient appointment chart I open has a side bar that shows me which ones I still need to meet for this year.

Have it go through the linked pharmacy records and if the patients' refills don't suggest they are taking their medication as prescribed let me know.

Look through the EMR and if they have seen another provider about something that their CC is about, let me know.

I could go on and this is just for primary care.
 
Anyone loosely following the Lindsey Clancy trial? The comments sections of videos of the grilling of physician witnesses makes me want to run so far away from medicine. The public is SO eager to tear us down and call us negligent/incompetent/killers/etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone loosely following the Lindsey Clancy trial? The comments sections of videos of the grilling of physician witnesses makes me want to run so far away from medicine. The public is SO eager to tear us down and call us negligent/incompetent/killers/etc.
Not really but what’s new? With any kind of bad outcome people believe that somebody HAS to be blamed.
 
Not really but what’s new? With any kind of bad outcome people believe that somebody HAS to be blamed.
Agreed, but it’s just shocking that in this go around it’s blaming anyone EXCEPT for the person who murdered three children. Def the fault of a doctor who misplaced a comma in her note.
 
I think AI is going to be super useful. I just don't think we've quite figured out how to make best use of it yet.
Some economics blog (I think it was pivot, but I could be wrong) said that AI is, like any technology, ultimately a tool that will make our jobs easier and can be excellent to improve our efficiency. But - like any such innovation - being marketed as increasing efficiency or making the lives of workers easier is not profitable *enough* and it has to go through a full cycle of the people pushing the new technology trying to do so in the most absolutely cravenly capitalist way first. That it has to be marketed and designed in a way where it maximizes short term profit by replacing humans and makes downsizing easier for a while before people settle down and accept that there is more long-term profit making the appropriate changes to (still be profitable but) be less toxic.
 
Agreed, but it’s just shocking that in this go around it’s blaming anyone EXCEPT for the person who murdered three children. Def the fault of a doctor who misplaced a comma in her note.
Lawyers will lawyer. What would really be absurd is if the jury buys it. With enough play to emotion and a susceptible jury, you just never know.
 
susceptible jury
I’m sure you guys get more unreasonable family members than me, but dang if there isn’t skepticism of doctors to astronomic levels where if you get the wrong juror(s) it’s a problem.

Heck, I recently saw a bad diabetic who’d disappeared for over 3 years, previously needed shots, and was miraculously better. Hey, I’ll take it, no shot for you today. Daughter demands I explain it literally 4 different ways, not because dad (who’s happy and wants to go) doesn’t understand, but because she wants to “justify the wait” of less than an hour from the time they’d walked in, gotten their intake, dilated, imaged, and examined. The parting shot was that “well, that sounds like a personal and not a professional opinion.”

All that to say, you can’t please all the people all the time, and your lawyer better strike all the Karens in jury selection.
 
I’m sure you guys get more unreasonable family members than me, but dang if there isn’t skepticism of doctors to astronomic levels where if you get the wrong juror(s) it’s a problem.
I feel like this goes throughout pretty much any service-type of industry. COVID really set physicians back a mile with regards to trust. With that said, there's a lot of bad actors throughout healthcare and every other industry.
 
I feel like this goes throughout pretty much any service-type of industry. COVID really set physicians back a mile with regards to trust. With that said, there's a lot of bad actors throughout healthcare and every other industry.
Fair point. Even within the physician community I’ve got my list of people I wouldn’t send my worst enemies to. Worst enemies meaning individuals in PE and the C suite.

Well, maybe I would consider it…
 
Fair point. Even within the physician community I’ve got my list of people I wouldn’t send my worst enemies to. Worst enemies meaning individuals in PE and the C suite.

Well, maybe I would consider it…
People in just suck more post-COVID. Plus the Internet which reinforces everyone's craziness and made up diseases.
 
People in just suck more post-COVID. Plus the Internet which reinforces everyone's craziness and made up diseases.
Absolutely. Medical literature for patients isn’t supposed to go beyond a 6th grade reading level (a quick AI search says 54 goshdarn% of Americans are below that).

When the “internet told you so,” but you unfortunately and very confidently lack comprehension, we’re both in a tough position. I grew up in the sticks, so it’s really easy for me to simplify concepts. If you can’t pick up what my kids did at kindergarten level when they asked about why I did stuff like this, then maybe you should speak to my Ivy League partner and the far longer answer will stick.
 
Ice breakers:
(1) Waffles, Pancakes, French toast. Rank them. You will be judged.
(2) You can only have your Eggs one way. Which way are you having them? Detailed explanations accepted.
(3) You can only have one cut of steak. Obviously it is being cooked medium rare. Which cut do you chose?
1) Waffles>Pancakes>>>>>>>French Toast. I'm not a big breakfast guy but love me some crispy Belgian waffles. OTOH I would be quite content never eating French Toast again
2) Huevos rancheros - life changing
3) 1.5" thick American/Australian Wagyu NY strip cooked medium rare. The absolute pinnacle of steak.
 
Ok team. Favorite slept on ice cream flavor.
IMG_2769.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg
 
Black Cherry for sure. Black Raspberry pretty good as well. I also make a homemade protein pistachio ice cream with my ninja creami that can go toe to toe with any commercial ice cream maker or ice cream shop.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I gotta make sure I understand the rules here.
Mint chocolate chip is my all-time favorite, and that's on the menu.
It's a polarizing choice, but it's not slept-on.
Do I have to pick only from this menu? or are other "slept-on" choices also viable options?
If I have to pick only from this menu; then it's gotta be black raspberry.
I have no idea what a lot of those choices even are, though.
"Teaberry" is my non-menu choice.
 
I gotta make sure I understand the rules here.
Mint chocolate chip is my all-time favorite, and that's on the menu.
It's a polarizing choice, but it's not slept-on.
Do I have to pick only from this menu? or are other "slept-on" choices also viable options?
If I have to pick only from this menu; then it's gotta be black raspberry.
I have no idea what a lot of those choices even are, though.
"Teaberry" is my non-menu choice.
No rules. Just right.


I just didn’t want people saying “chocolate”. Give me a novel / interesting / not top 3 flavor.
Menu was inspiration and where I was standing.


Agree with the consensus thus far black raspberry (and its Oreo variant) is ****ing great and should be lauded.

I got Twix (sudden audible, they were out of coconut macaroon!) and it was way better than expected. Twix bars mixed in vanilla but with a heavy swirl of a gory liquid toffee Carmel. Oh and a scoop of Smoreo which was further proof to me that my theory of Oreo variant ice cream supremacy is the general relativity of ice cream.
 
While I’ll agree with the above sentiments (and one would have likely been my choice there), my inner kid brain really wants to know what kind of wacky sugar bomb the Dunk-a-Roo tastes like
 
While I’ll agree with the above sentiments (and one would have likely been my choice there), my inner kid brain really wants to know what kind of wacky sugar bomb the Dunk-a-Roo tastes like

You know, that caught my eye but for the wrong reason.
You guys can all tell me I'm wrong, and that's okay - but I feel like the Dunk-A-Roos were one of the first junk foods that were all hype and (maybe even) deliberately just poor quality and it was THE bellwether of the gradual decline of the state of junk food.

I remember eating them as a kid, and saying: "these... these are garbage" and if other kids at the lunchtable acted like they were so great it was an indicator to me that they were just buying the hype and susceptible to propaganda.

In similar fashion (fight me on this one): the Mortal Kombat arcade games were garbage that relied solely on shock factor and had very little to no substance. They were just "ape-ing" Street Fighter II to coat-tail on it's success and the zeitgeist it then-created.
 
Last edited:
1. French toast >>> waffles > pancakes. The truck stop diner near my college makes French toast with cruellers. I would push an old lady down the stairs for some right now.
2. Eggs? In a quiche.
3. I don’t know much about steaks. They’re all good.
 
Ok team. Favorite slept on ice cream flavor.View attachment 423336View attachment 423336
I used to eat a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream almost every night for years. Then I saw my LDL was borderline high and I stopped cold turkey. No regrets, (either stopping or having started in the first place).

Also, take your mint choc. chip ice cream, and melt some creamy JIF PB in the microwave (cautiously so it doesn't burn) and pour that and some good quality chocolate sauce/fudge on top. It's ****ing epic.
 
Yeah I’m gonna say hell no to mint chocolate. You might as well eat toothpaste.

A polarizing flavor for sure
 
Last edited:
I used to eat a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream almost every night for years. Then I saw my LDL was borderline high and I stopped cold turkey. No regrets, (either stopping or having started in the first place).

Also, take your mint choc. chip ice cream, and melt some creamy JIF PB in the microwave (cautiously so it doesn't burn) and pour that and some good quality chocolate sauce/fudge on top. It's ****ing epic.
Mint Oreo brother. Mints Oreo.
 
Is it just mint choc chip for you? Or is all mint a non-starter? Peppermint patties? Mojitos?
Yeah it’s mostly the combination I don’t like. Mint by itself is fine, chocolate by itself is great. So not a fan of peppermint patties, although the andes mint chocolate is more tolerable.

Virgin Mojitos are actually one of my favorite mocktails.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Win.
We had a violent incident last month at one of my shops.
Being a patient doesn't mean you are "in the right" and can do anything you want to do and we have to take it.
If you ask me, our police aren't violent enough.
 
FAFO. I thank God that I was cleared by the investigator after I popped the one in the head after he spit, hit, kicked and tried to bite me. Didn’t stop me from getting drug through the mud and in front of every disciplinary committee and ultimately losing my job.
 
There is no more disappointing food experience than biting into a cookie thinking it’s chocolate chip and getting raisins instead
my hospital snack of choice is a microwaved oatmeal raisin cookie. 12 seconds if 1 cookie, 16 seconds if its two cookies on top of each other in the microwave.

I dont know man. The warm oatmeal and raisins hits different. Also I get viscerally ill eating chocolate - so i'm a weirdo who has to live in a chocolate chip free world.
 
FAFO. I thank God that I was cleared by the investigator after I popped the one in the head after he spit, hit, kicked and tried to bite me. Didn’t stop me from getting drug through the mud and in front of every disciplinary committee and ultimately losing my job.
We are assaulted, abused and taken for granted enough in health care. A health care worker should never be punished for acting in self defense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Attention gamers:

"Clair Obscur: Expedition 33" is almost a masterpiece and I haven't liked a game (of the RPG genre) this much since high school when Final Fantasy 7 hit.

Absolutely worth the money and time. There's a reason it won all those awards.
 
Last edited:
Attention gamers:

"Clair Obscur: Expedition 33" is almost a masterpiece and I haven't liked a game (of the RPG genre) since high school when Final Fantasy 7 .

Absolutely worth the money and time. There's a reason it won all those awards.
I did download it and even played an hour. Thoughts on age appropriateness (say a 6th grader and a HS freshman…) ?

I don’t get a ton of solo gaming done in the better weather months… too many competing hobbies 😭
 
Hey home gym bros and ladybros…

Looking to add some leg stuff (aside from the ubiquitous squat/deadlift) to my infused basement gym of doom. Relatively space limited, so probably just have room for one of these… thoughts? Alternatives?

Cheap leg press / hack squat

Freak athlete it does everything with a leg extension/curl attachment
 
I did download it and even played an hour. Thoughts on age appropriateness (say a 6th grader and a HS freshman…) ?

I don’t get a ton of solo gaming done in the better weather months… too many competing hobbies 😭

How old is a kid in sixth grade? I'm childfree, so I have no idea.

There's implied intimate romance in dialogue, but nothing graphic or explicit.

I'll say the late game story is heavy for a sixth grader, as its very saddening. There's one reference to suicide in early game.
 
Hey home gym bros and ladybros…

Looking to add some leg stuff (aside from the ubiquitous squat/deadlift) to my infused basement gym of doom. Relatively space limited, so probably just have room for one of these… thoughts? Alternatives?

Cheap leg press / hack squat

Freak athlete it does everything with a leg extension/curl attachment

Regarding leg days, I simply stick with squats deadlifts, and glute bridges. I don't train legs for power anyways. It's all endurance and time-under-tension for me (MTB, ski)