2015-2016 Ophtho Anxiety Release Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeOweYou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread in hopes of keeping the interview invite thread clean.

Release your anxiety here!

Members don't see this ad.

bahahahaahah, seriously who else was getting anxiety seeing there was another post on the interview thread and it turned out to be a comment. I had to resist posting on it because it was just becoming a cycle.
This is a smart idea.

Reactions: 1 user
<insert neurotic shrieking here>

... much better xD though right now my anxiety is through the roof cuz i realized i asked for the wrong interview date b/c I misread the original email in my haste to shoot a reply off. FML!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd repeat this info here: I just realized AAO is going on in New Orleans right now, so I bet the lull is at least in part because all the PDs are out of town.

Edit: cough, ignore me, wrong AAO. It's the optometry one in nawlins.

Last edited:
Nope. Our AAO is in November in Vegas. The optometry one is now.

Reactions: 1 users
hmm. anyone else get an interview from case, but end up on the waitlist b/c they have more interviewees than spots?

Can someone explain to me their methodology behind that? Also, can you share which programs that has happened with? That just seems really unfair. I can understand not getting your first choice of dates because you respond late...but not getting a date at all? Just because you responded 30 seconds too late? How is that okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I responded to Case 4 minutes after my acceptance and got my second choice for date... which conflicts with another interview. Just got my confirmation today.

Sometimes I wonder if I am purposefully being given the date I rank low to see if I'm truly committed to attending the interview.

Anyone get a Vandy confirmation? Having anxiety that I didnt respond for 20 minutes due to clinic :(

Did anybody not hear anything from Case Western yet? It seems like waitlist announcements went out etc but I haven't heard anything at all. Debating to call vs re-email.

Did anybody not hear anything from Case Western yet? It seems like waitlist announcements went out etc but I haven't heard anything at all. Debating to call vs re-email.
I sent an email yesterday and have not heard anything

Seems more like the anxiety provoking thread...

Reactions: 3 users
And now I'm gonna make it the heartbreak thread:

So sad I didn't get an invite to Univ of Washington. Owwww.

I took a look at matchapplicants.com for the first time, thinking it would be a helpful way to see how people have done in past years. And then the very first profile I look at is this one: http://ophthalmology.matchapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1

On paper, it seems amazing this person did not match. Maybe they didn't have a good distribution of upper/mid/lower tier programs? That's all I can think of. Interviewing style could have something to do with it I suppose, but they apparently never got any feedback suggesting that. ??

Their list looks pretty top heavy to me. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you have a good range of programs

I took a look at matchapplicants.com for the first time, thinking it would be a helpful way to see how people have done in past years. And then the very first profile I look at is this one: http://ophthalmology.matchapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1

On paper, it seems amazing this person did not match. Maybe they didn't have a good distribution of upper/mid/lower tier programs? That's all I can think of. Interviewing style could have something to do with it I suppose, but they apparently never got any feedback suggesting that. ??

Ignore these things. You will drive yourself insane. Some people are horrible at interviewing or awkward or very lack luster. Whatever amazing applicantion they present on paper is destroyed in person.

Sometimes people don't match and there is no rhyme or reason - they were borderline - didn't have a spread appropriate for their app. But the stellar applicants like this it's usually something about the interaction.

Im no expert on this and I'm sure I'm weird like everyone else but some people stand out. I have met people who didn't match who are actually shifty eyed. Literally their body language screams discomfort. Some other examples, I know applicants who didn't match who are condescending and arrogant. You can tell just from one sentence they say during interview day that indicates something may be beneath them. Actually I've met several of these. The worst part is that they don't know they are this way and it hurts them.

At my Med school they never taught us how to approach conflict. many of us in medicine people are horrible at giving direct feedback and don't want to offend people. I have met applicants who are not ready to hear certain criticism. Ultimately these programs have no obligation to tell you why you didn't match and quite frankly they probably want to avoid a difficult conversation.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's going on with Case Western? I replied with 10 mins to the interview email (sent out 10/8) and haven't heard anything from them. I have emailed the program coordinator 2x, and left a voicemail message. I just emailed the PD yesterday. Did they incorrectly send out interview invites without meaning to? Also, would appreciate if there's way to reach the program that I haven't tired.

Reactions: 2 users
Case is really making a good impression, eh...

I was wondering the same thing... They definitely sent out wayyy too many invites for the number of interview slots.

I was wondering the same thing... They definitely sent out wayyy too many invites for the number of interview slots.

A bunch of programs did this which is ridiculous, honestly. Another random complaint I'm just throwing out there: Why don't programs send more outright rejections? I sincerely appreciated being rejected from some programs because it simplified things somewhat. There ought to be a date, let's say 11/1, where programs have to make a final decision on applicants.

How realistic is it to expect any more interviews at this point?
Just wondering. All the schools I applied to (except for some top 10 schools) have sent out invites according to the SDN thread. So should I just assume that whatever invites I have as of today is it? How many late invites should you realistically expect to get?

Does anyone know what's going on with Case Western? I replied with 10 mins to the interview email (sent out 10/8) and haven't heard anything from them. I have emailed the program coordinator 2x, and left a voicemail message. I just emailed the PD yesterday. Did they incorrectly send out interview invites without meaning to? Also, would appreciate if there's way to reach the program that I haven't tired.

I was told by the program that they sent out 140 invites for 70 spots. All the spots filled up within 5 minutes and there is currently a waitlist for those who responded after 5 minutes. Certainly takes the importance of responding prompty to a whole different/unrealistic level.

...what the hell? As someone burned by the process, I don't see why they couldn't just do multiple rounds like most programs do. Would it really kill them to have to do it twice? It was pretty crushing to get an invite only to have it essentially withdrawn; I ended up wondering if there was some secret red flag on my application :\

How realistic is it to expect any more interviews at this point?
Just wondering. All the schools I applied to (except for some top 10 schools) have sent out invites according to the SDN thread. So should I just assume that whatever invites I have as of today is it? How many late invites should you realistically expect to get?

I am currently applying as well, so I can't say what will happen from experience. But looking over last year's interview thread, it doesn't look like many places sent out interview offers (at least from what people reported) except the top programs that hold out until the end. But I, as someone with some interviews (but not my "ideal number"), am holding onto some optimism that there will be some trickle down occurring over the next month or so as people (hopefully) cancel. Maybe someone from last year's match will comment?

I seem to recall last year interviews went out in two big waves in mid/late Sept and then again in mid Oct. I had the bulk of my invites by the end of October, but I did get maybe ~3 more in November. Sorry, I can't remember all the details.

Most schools do seem to just send out one big wave, though. So after that wave, the only other invites you'd get are 'secondhand' from cancellations. That said, those do definitely happen right up to the end. At the start of the season I picked up one with 4 days to spare. And honestly if you look at the interview switch thread, there are obviously going to be people who have overlapping interviews who will be forced to decide sooner or later.

So unless you've gotten an outright rejection, or unless the last interview date for that school has passed, there's still hope (albeit slim after the initial invite). I think all we can do as applicants is keep our chins up and try not to be discouraged if schools we really hoped for don't invite us :)

I am currently applying as well, so I can't say what will happen from experience. But looking over last year's interview thread, it doesn't look like many places sent out interview offers (at least from what people reported) except the top programs that hold out until the end. But I, as someone with some interviews (but not my "ideal number"), am holding onto some optimism that there will be some trickle down occurring over the next month or so as people (hopefully) cancel. Maybe someone from last year's match will comment?

So, I think a lot of people probably aren't updating as they get later waves of invites like people did at the beginning. I am assuming some of these programs have sent out more interviews than just one date. I know from personal experience, I have not updated when I get a new invite that was really far after the original first wave (because I am assuming that the invite was sent to me after someone else cancelled and that it was not an actual 'wave').

About 75 programs out of 114 have reported, so there's still a lot of good programs that havent reported in.

Hi guys

Does it help to email some of your top programs and express interest or simply ask for status of your application?

Thanks

Are most of the interview invites out now? I feel like there aren't too many institutions left that haven't sent out invites...

Duuuuuke. Why don't you love me like I love you??
To anyone who got an invite yesterday: did they offer only one date, or both when they called?

and moomoo: seems like it...i'm just waiting on 6 of the ~50 i applied to. but i've also gotten some late-wave interviews over the past couple of weeks, so i feel like that could still happen as well...

anyone hear back from Cornell yet? radio silence since last week and i'm paranoid after Case...