2015-2016 Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship

Started by Gatinha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gatinha

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our colleagues in Heme/Onc already have a similar thread, so I figured the greatest pediatric specialty deserved one as well. Interview invites, experiences, advice, programs, etc. All are welcome and good luck to everyone!
 
Have people started hearing from programs? I can't tell if it's unusually quiet vs later start dates on when invites are going out? The anxiety is creeping up!!!
 
Hey thanks for starting the thread.

Interviews:
I have heard from Stanford, Utah, and Mayo.
I have been told, and read on SDN, that interview invites shouldn't be expected until January, so I wouldn't sweat anything yet.

For future applicants:
I've been counseled that Letters are the most important, then Research, then everything else is a more distant third.

Good luck all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I should say each programs has their own perspective on selecting applicants for interview. Some will put emphasize on your LORs, others on your research merit. But one single objective deciding factor for a program to extend out an invite is where you are trained for residency. If you get trained at a top tier programs you really should have no issues getting interviews. Obviously, for residents from low-mid tier program, it's not impossible but extra works need to be done to make yourself competitive.

LORs most of the time will say good things about you unless you carelessly chose someone who dislikes you to write your letter (very unlikely right). At the end they will all sound the same. And unless you have PhD background, it's very difficult to do meaningful research during residency, we all know how it goes, but having some interest in research (case report, poster presentation) is appreciated.

Good luck !
 
Starting the places that have given out interviews list...

Cincinnati
Mayo
Pittsburgh
Stanford
Utah

Good luck everyone and happy 2016!
 
CA
- Stanford
DC
- Children's National- 12/15
DE
- DuPont/Nemours- 12/18
GA
- Emory- 12/21
IL
- Northwestern/Lurie- 12/17
OH
- Cincinnati- 12/16
MI
- U of Michigan- 1/5
MN
- Mayo
NY
- Columbia- 12/16
- Mt Sinai- 12/23
PA
- CHOP- 12/23
- Pittsburgh
UT
- Utah
VA
- Univ of Virginia- 1/4
 
Last edited: