2015 Army Residency Selections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armyyyyyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I know the Army residency board is meeting this week. Does anyone have an idea of how soon they get back to applicants, or at least the approximate timeline it has been in years past? Also should we be expecting a call or email?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No idea how fast they will release the results. The oral pathologist at my station said they met and made all the final selections already, but that is just hearsay. My guess is either this week or early next week.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We do a different board...There are different things that affect each of the services...but your question is a valid question and that is also being discussed among others...

I was also curious about the late assignment release. I don't recall previous applicants' assignments coming out so late, but I guess you don't pay as much attention until you are in it.

Airborne Dentist.

Any idea on the number of applicants this year. I was luckily enough to get selected. I was just curious what the numbers looked like this year.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
There is an asterisk next to some of the names of accepted OMS applicants and it says that they were accepted for the 6-year OMS residency. I thought the Army wasn't allowing applicants to apply to outside residencies. Can anyone clarify?

The Army opened 2 6-year spots this year. You still have to apply and be selected by the Army Residency board. At the time I applied they didn't know where the locations for these two spots would be. Most people assumed Texas somewhere. University of Houston was one location I heard. On the application this year there were 3 options for OMFS: 4 year certificate, 6 year MD, and 4 year or 6 year. I don't know any of the details after that like 'how is payback determined for these program?' or "when do you start?' (ie is there a snowbird year still) or "do you still have to apply to the program? or does the army have a deal where the program just holds a spot for you?' I would imagine the deal is similar to what they do for ortho. They select 3 but the army only has room for 2. So they send one person (usually the top applicant) to the University of Louisville. As far as I know payback in this scenario is CONSECUTIVELY. I'm sure more details will emerge over the next several weeks/months.

Still working out details for the 6 yr, but from what I have heard they are going to try and get the clinical portion at an army hospital (probably san antonio) then partner for the med school. If that is the case I would assume concurrent payback while doing clinical years. We will see.

If anyone has more information about the 6-year OMS program with the Army please update this thread. I am very interested to see how they will sort everything out.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do a different board...There are different things that affect each of the services...but your question is a valid question and that is also being discussed among others...

I am not sure how that is different than the other branches/civilian residencies. Hopefully it will be changed for the better.

I can't believe that it would be so different as to account for the five month difference, seeing as AF/Navy had assignment locations in November. That's on the ball and pretty early, but I think in the future the Army should aim to release location information by at least civilian match day.

Still working out details for the 6 yr, but from what I have heard they are going to try and get the clinical portion at an army hospital (probably san antonio) then partner for the med school. If that is the case I would assume concurrent payback while doing clinical years. We will see.
It will certainly be interesting to see what they come up with as a solution for this. Some of the OMS attending here mentioned previous talk years ago about sending the 6 yr guys up to the uniformed services medical school (USUHS) to replace the students who fail out of each class, but I'm not sure if that's still being considered or not. And hopefully they will allow the clinical 4 years to be done at a military base or it will add 4 years of payback. Anyway it goes, I'm sure it will be a good experience.

I can't believe that it would be so different as to account for the five month difference, seeing as AF/Navy had assignment locations in November. That's on the ball and pretty early, but I think in the future the Army should aim to release location information by at least civilian match day.

People have lives to plan...right now it's on hold because of the Army.

People have lives to plan...right now it's on hold because of the Army.

Totally understood. All assignments will be out no later than the end of next week. There are a lot of factors that go into assignments, as it is a domino effect, chain reaction. I understand it is difficult when you are trying to plan things.

Airborne Dentist.

When assigning residents to location what factors are taken into account? IE is it only based on program director's choice or the resident's preference/rankings or combination? Any other factors that matter?

Hello,

It is based on preferences and the grades/ranking of the person. If all the top surgery folks wanted Gordon, and nobody wanted Bragg, then Gordon would be the best program and Bragg would be the weak one. In order to avoid that (just giving an example in this case, they are both great locations), they split up the applicants. Some strong and some not so strong go to each location.

Airborne, any idea what day this week we should expect our assignments? Getting pretty excited :)

Looks like it's back to waiting for the end of next week once again. I'm getting good at this.

I didn't get anything either. Is it still being send out today?

Medical and pharmacy match day is today. Maybe they are busy with that.

They were supposed to go out today. Lots of stuff came up and there were some other last minute things. It will literally be any day.

Lots of Army HPSP results were released today. When will the 1yr AEGD find out? :(

They were supposed to go out today. Lots of stuff came up and there were some other last minute things. It will literally be any day.

I know it's anyday.. But a friend of mine got orders yesterday.. Any chance I missed the email or are orders coming in tomorrow? Any updates you guys have heard??

The one years are still in progress. Those should be out within a few days or so. If you are not doing a one year and you didn't get them, please let me know.
Thank you. Do you know about what day?

Having anxiety! Can't sleep because im checking my email every single second.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a reason it's taking so long this year? The wait is starting to get a bit absurd.

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully it will be different next year, such as letting people that were accepted in Dec know earlier and fill in waitlist spots later

Last edited:
I understand what you are going through. However, you will find there are many factors that go into this. They were waiting on some folks that got accepted to a traditional residency and a one year to decide if they were still going to do the one year. The list is finalized and just awaiting approval. Once that is done, you will be notified. Literally any day.

This is the first time I've come on studentdoctor to see if I could find out what's going on. I was about to put in a request for orders because MAJ Danko said back in December we were to get our assignments by early March; and if we didn't get it by mid/late March to generate the RFO. We haven't had any updates via email or anything and I've been checking my email neurotically since March 1. Pretty frustrating.

Are we supposed to get our orders with our report date for the AEGD and our orders for BOLC at the same time we get our assignments?

This is the first time I've come on studentdoctor to see if I could find out what's going on. I was about to put in a request for orders because MAJ Danko said back in December we were to get our assignments by early March; and if we didn't get it by mid/late March to generate the RFO. We haven't had any updates via email or anything and I've been checking my email neurotically since March 1. Pretty frustrating.

Are we supposed to get our orders with our report date for the AEGD and our orders for BOLC at the same time we get our assignments?

You will get an email stating the assignment location. The orders will follow shortly...probably this week.

The orders will have everything on them...to include BOLC. The one year assignments should be out soon.

All the other assignments are out. If you are not doing a one year, and didn't get your orders, let me know, as your email may not have been good.

Hopefully it will be out before April Fools Day.

Hello AirborneDentist,

How competitive were the army residency program selection in 2015 cycle? Are there any ratio for each residency applicants? And how likely the alternative list people are expected to get in??

Thank you for your help, sir.

I got my orders for AEGD-1 yr on April 2nd. If you haven't gotten it yet I would email someone who was CC'd on the training locations email.

Hello AirborneDentist,

How competitive were the army residency program selection in 2015 cycle? Are there any ratio for each residency applicants? And how likely the alternative list people are expected to get in??

Thank you for your help, sir.

It all depends on what specialty you are looking into. I wouldn't base what residency you apply for on the number of applicants.