2015 Berkeley Review vs previous versions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dobleman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if I use 2015 vs older versions? I'm talking about 2013-2014 BR.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Dobleman

I would recommend getting at least a 2015 set of MCAT books or older. There are lots of the same material on the old MCAT and the new MCAT, but I do think getting the new 2015 MCAT book is a good investment. Sure you could look up the AAMC outline for what was added to the new exam, but that will take extra study time when you could just have all of it right in front of you.

Also, because the old MCAT did not test Sociology and Psychology you will need to buy at least those MCAT books and some companies will probably offer a better deal on those books if you buy their complete package.

I understand completely if you are trying to save some money and the best advice I could give for that is to shop on amazon or maybe try ebay. You could also try using SDN or a premed friend who already took the MCAT.

Some MCAT companies have added the new Biochemistry content within their Biology books, so if you study from an old MCAT Biology book you may miss out on some biochemistry information that is on the MCAT. Biochemistry is about 13% of the exam and Psychology is about 17% of the exam.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the advice! Yes I was trying to save some money, but really I am trying to figure out if the new Berkeley Review book 2015 set is worth it for the verbal and psych books that come with, or should I just get other psych and soc study sources.

Just a little FYI. There are no 2015 TBR books for physics, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and CARS. Updated versions were not released until 2016. Also, the biology books were not released until late 2015. We waited until there was enough information available about the new MCAT to actually update them. If you want updated used books, there are very few available for now. There will be more and more over the next year, but be careful that you don't buy books a seller calls "2015" only to be disappointed they are older. We changed the color scheme drastically on the new physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry books, so you should be able to recognize them if the seller provides a picture of the cover.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a little FYI. There are no 2015 TBR books for physics, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and CARS. Updated versions were not released until 2016. Also, the biology books were not released until late 2015. We waited until there was enough information available about the new MCAT to actually update them. If you want updated used books, there are very few available for now. There will be more and more over the next year, but be careful that you don't buy books a seller calls "2015" only to be disappointed they are older. We changed the color scheme drastically on the new physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry books, so you should be able to recognize them if the seller provides a picture of the cover.
Do you sell the new books on Amazon...and are the books on your website the new updated material?

BR does not use Amazon. The website is currently selling the 2016 versions for everything. Physics and CARS have only been out for about two months, and those were the last books to get redone.

BR does not use Amazon. The website is currently selling the 2016 versions for everything. Physics and CARS have only been out for about two months, and those were the last books to get redone.
Thanks and do your books come in a bundle? I only see the option to buy them individually on your website.

I was about to click "post reply" with a response about the 10-book set option when I decided I better double check the website. I have no idea what happened to that option nor am I sure why there is no picture of the covers for physics and organic chemistry. I hate to say that I have no idea about a full set option, but I will do my best to find out soon.

You should probably call them about the 10 book package.

I was about to click "post reply" with a response about the 10-book set option when I decided I better double check the website. I have no idea what happened to that option nor am I sure why there is no picture of the covers for physics and organic chemistry. I hate to say that I have no idea about a full set option, but I will do my best to find out soon.

You should probably call them about the 10 book package.
OK thanks