2015 MCAT for Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cz94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an incoming freshman who is very interested in premed. I read about the 2015 MCAT changes, and I think I would be much more comfortable taking the 2014 MCAT. Do you think I could pull off taking the MCAT in 2014 (summer after sophomore year)? I'll have no problem finishing all the prerequisites before that summer.

The reason is because there are a lot more study materials for the 2014 MCAT, and I really need practice tests to do well (the more the better).

Another question: how many practice tests do you think will be released for the 2015 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be as ready as you make yourself. Depends on how seriously you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just started undergrad. How about you worry about getting a 4.0 this year rather than which version of the MCAT you think you'll do better on based on pretty much nothing?

(sent from my phone)

+1; Don't worry so much about the MCAT now. Try to get your prereqs done early/ASAP (and DO WELL), then when you're done with those or close to finishing, decide if you think you'll be ready based on a diagnostic test.

If you've taken Bio/gen chem/physics/orgo by the end of your sophomore year, take your MCAT that summer. It's what I did and I'd advise anyone else who asked me to do the same. What you learn in upper level bio / chemistry isn't as helpful as having everything fresher in your mind right after you take the classes.

Since you'll be taking it the summer after your sophomore year, go for a test date later in the summer and use your time off to study intensively for it, rather than dealing with it during school. A good 2 months of review to take it in July is enough right after you've finished the required classes.

If you've taken Bio/gen chem/physics/orgo by the end of your sophomore year, take your MCAT that summer. It's what I did and I'd advise anyone else who asked me to do the same. What you learn in upper level bio / chemistry isn't as helpful as having everything fresher in your mind right after you take the classes.

Since you'll be taking it the summer after your sophomore year, go for a test date later in the summer and use your time off to study intensively for it, rather than dealing with it during school. A good 2 months of review to take it in July is enough right after you've finished the required classes.

:thumbup: Especially if you want to sneak in a test date before the 2015 changes.

You just started undergrad. How about you worry about getting a 4.0 this year rather than which version of the MCAT you think you'll do better on based on pretty much nothing?

(sent from my phone)
Agreed. Focus on the GPA, then worry about other things.

Adcoms aren't really that oblivious and may ask you why you didn't take the newer version of the mcat when you're the first class it was designed for. Do you have a legitimate answer for that?

ADCOMs have more important things to worry about than someone's reasoning for taking the MCAT a year earlier than usual.

Adcoms aren't really that oblivious and may ask you why you didn't take the newer version of the mcat when you're the first class it was designed for. Do you have a legitimate answer for that?
Why, exactly, would they care? There are going to be a ton of students who took each version applying that year, some who took both, so why would they bother to dig down and try to discover which version each applicant "should" have taken?

It's also typically not relevant. In this case, however, it will be.

Why is it relevant? It's not like the AAMC has published that the new MCAT will be more difficult than the old MCAT. Do you think ADCOMs are going to ask every single non-trad applicant who takes the 2015 MCAT instead of the 2014 MCAT "Why didn't you take the old MCAT? Do you have a good enough reason?"