2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the email to submit background check on 7/6 and turned in the documents and fingerprint on 7/10. I got cleared yesterday.

It looks like they have different staff doing background checks, my personnel cleared 17 people yesterday [he emailed all of us 2gether].

Do you know if they contacted your references that you put down on the security background check questionnaire [e-QIP INVESTIGATION REQUEST]?

I am asking this because a previous PHAP said that our references were supposed to get questionnaire on the mail.
First of all thanks so much for responding :)

Second - None of mine have been contacted yet. I don't know that a little less than 2 weeks is a long enough turn around time for completed checks via snail mail. Perhaps they are contacting /checking them after the fact. I read somewhere online the check for nonsensitive positions is a little less rigorous than those performed for a public trust position.

Hopefully, I will hear something soon - I can't wait for October when the work starts

Members don't see this ad.

First of all thanks so much for responding :)

Second - None of mine have been contacted yet. I don't know that a little less than 2 weeks is a long enough turn around time for completed checks via snail mail. Perhaps they are contacting /checking them after the fact. I read somewhere online the check for nonsensitive positions is a little less rigorous than those performed for a public trust position.

Hopefully, I will hear something soon - I can't wait for October when the work starts

Yeah no problem.

It looks like each yr is different. I guess we will have to wait and see when we know our assignments.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions for the PHAP veterans:

1. How do vacation days and holidays work? Can we take vacations like a regular employees? I know we get federal holidays off, but could we take off a week for Christmas? I'm just trying to get a feel for if we are treated like regular employees or do we have stipulations placed upon us.

2. Are we hourly or salary employees?

3. Do we report directly to a CDC supervisor or our health department supervisor?

4. Where did you guys gain employment after PHAP?

1. Every pay day (which is bi-weekly) you will earn 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave so in the course of a month you will have earned one sick day and one "vacation day". There are also other hours you can earn such as flex time and travel compensation time that you can use towards vacation days. You will have to go through your host site supervisor first, then your CDC supervisor for approval to take days off.

2. We are salary employees

3. We do both- you will be assigned a CDC supervisor and you will be part of his or her group. Typically you may have anywhere from 10-20 other PHAPs in your group depending on the size of the 2015 class. When you're assigned your CDC supervisor, he or she will give you more details before you begin at your host site. Your host site supervisor is the person that you will see every day and will work with on a regular basis.

4. Employment…. I’m applying to MPH programs and will most likely start school at the end of PHAP in 2016. Another former PHAP may be more suited to answer this question. However I will be applying for other jobs on top of applying to grad school, but I feel I won’t be as competitive without a master degree compared to other applicants, especially at the federal level.

Questions for the PHAP veterans:

1. How do vacation days and holidays work? Can we take vacations like a regular employees? I know we get federal holidays off, but could we take off a week for Christmas? I'm just trying to get a feel for if we are treated like regular employees or do we have stipulations placed upon us.

2. Are we hourly or salary employees?

3. Do we report directly to a CDC supervisor or our health department supervisor?

4. Where did you guys gain employment after PHAP?

1. You're like a normal employee in this regard. You start at 0 and rack up 4 hours of sick leave and 4 hours of annual leave (vacation) a pay period. This adds up to 13 vacation days earned during the course of the year. Leave requests have to be approved by your host site supervisor and PHAP supervisor.

In general you have access to most benefits that all federal employees have: health insurance, thrift savings plan (like a 401k, but better), life insurance, you accrue time in FERS (federal pension system). You don't get somethings that permanent CDC employees get, such as individual learner accounts (money for career related classes).

2. Hourly, but since you'll be working 40 hours a week it doesn't matter much. Although it is rare, you can get OT during emergency responses.

3. Yes? Day to day duties are from your host site, but administrative responsibilities are through your PHAP supervisor. It's important to keep both happy. This might be the most difficult part of the job depending on your supervisors and duties.

4. I posted somewhere in this thread the general breakdown of outcomes after PHAP from last year. If I remember right, about half of PHAPs seek employment and it's fairly evenly split between the CDC and state/local HDs. About half go back for more schooling, a handful go to other agencies (USAID, FDA, etc), some go to NGOs.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Every pay day (which is bi-weekly) you will earn 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave so in the course of a month you will have earned one sick day and one "vacation day". There are also other hours you can earn such as flex time and travel compensation time that you can use towards vacation days. You will have to go through your host site supervisor first, then your CDC supervisor for approval to take days off.

2. We are salary employees

3. We do both- you will be assigned a CDC supervisor and you will be part of his or her group. Typically you may have anywhere from 10-20 other PHAPs in your group depending on the size of the 2015 class. When you're assigned your CDC supervisor, he or she will give you more details before you begin at your host site. Your host site supervisor is the person that you will see every day and will work with on a regular basis.

4. Employment…. I’m applying to MPH programs and will most likely start school at the end of PHAP in 2016. Another former PHAP may be more suited to answer this question. However I will be applying for other jobs on top of applying to grad school, but I feel I won’t be as competitive without a master degree compared to other applicants, especially at the federal level.
We did it again.

Okay, I have another question :)
Are we officially reporting to a office as of 10/5? Im moving from CA to FL and feel as if I won't be completely moved in my apartment before the official offer and start of the fellowship...

Are we officially reporting to a office as of 10/5? Im moving from CA to FL and feel as if I won't be completely moved in my apartment before the official offer and start of the fellowship...

Yeah pretty much- we started on October 6th in 2014. This is also when you call in to state the oath for federal duty- it's one of the million forms you guys have to fill out in Onboarding

It's never been flexible before, it's probably not flexible now. I know other associates have been in similar spots before, some even were sleeping on couches of friends for a week or two before finding a spot.

Headed to FL too. One thing to consider about that location (I'm making an educated assumption here) - there's probably more weekly rentals than anywhere else in the country because it's a vacation-heavy area. That, and the fact that October is at the very tail end of the season could mean you could get a deal on a week-to-week basis at a nice spot until we all get settled.

Totally off the cuff, mind you, but its a possibility. (I'll defer to zqm1 on this one on specifics! I'd be all kinds of lost otherwise)

Week-to-week rentals are usually found in touristic areas which I don't recommend moving into. Not to mention they can be expensive. Well, I would say it depends on the area. Contrary to popular belief, Florida is very "residential" and those vacation-heavy areas are usually just the areas of Florida by the beach or major attractions.

Headed to FL too. One thing to consider about that location (I'm making an educated assumption here) - there's probably more weekly rentals than anywhere else in the country because it's a vacation-heavy area. That, and the fact that October is at the very tail end of the season could mean you could get a deal on a week-to-week basis at a nice spot until we all get settled.

Totally off the cuff, mind you, but its a possibility. (I'll defer to zqm1 on this one on specifics! I'd be all kinds of lost otherwise)

I am from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. You'd actually be making the incorrect assumption that October is the end of the season. Florida gets a lot of snowbirds (Northerners that move south for the winter since it is warm here), so those weekly rentals that you would ordinarily see in the summer will be occupied by the owner. Of course, I can't speak for all of Florida but a lot of retirees do tend to own winter homes here. Also, people vacation all throughout the year here especially foreigners who may not run on the same annual schedule as us. As InsertCoolName mentioned, those week-to-week rentals aren't cheap either since they are mostly located in tourist heavy areas (aka the beach and Orlando).

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I stand extremely corrected!
As a Florida native I completely agree- October is when the snow birds start coming down and it will be packed by December. PHAPs who are going to my hometown (Port Charlotte) you'll see the difference between the winter and summer population lol. When I moved to Baltimore for my position, craigslist was the best option for me and I ended up doing a 6 month lease then moved when I found a better place. I would look at renting a room in a house on top of looking at apartments

Current PHAPers: Have you heard of anyone declining the offer once they have accepted the initial offer and completed the preliminary background checks? I am just curious, because I would think with the amount of time that passes between one step to the next, another offer may come available. I have several open applications "out there," so what if I get the "offer of a lifetime?"

Current PHAPers: Have you heard of anyone declining the offer once they have accepted the initial offer and completed the preliminary background checks? I am just curious, because I would think with the amount of time that passes between one step to the next, another offer may come available. I have several open applications "out there," so what if I get the "offer of a lifetime?"

Send me a personal message and I'll respond

I haven't personally, but that doesn't mean much. There was someone in my class who started the program for a month or two, then left because their "offer of a lifetime" came through. I'm not certain she didn't burn some bridges doing that though, the agency is small and...
the-north-remembers.jpg

Does anyone know if offers are still going out?

This is the first week I haven't received a PHAP Chat email and wonder if that is a bad sign...

Just curious - anyone have Christy Harris as their security rep? I got the email regarding eQip being back up and a litany of instructions, followed by another email 4 minutes later saying "Christy Harris would like to recall the message". I called her today and couldn't get through. Anyone else get that series of emails and then get clarification?

Just curious - anyone have Christy Harris as their security rep? I got the email regarding eQip being back up and a litany of instructions, followed by another email 4 minutes later saying "Christy Harris would like to recall the message". I called her today and couldn't get through. Anyone else get that series of emails and then get clarification?
You're not alone, I'm experiencing the same thing

This is the first week I haven't received a PHAP Chat email and wonder if that is a bad sign...
I only received one PHAP Chat email on June 19 but nothing since then. I have given up hope. Have you been receiving them every week since June?

I doubt they sent out one this Friday. I haven't gotten it either.

Hello PHAP! Question for current/former PHAPers. I already submitted and passed my background check but what are the next steps. Is there another background check/drug screening/security clearance completed by your host agency? Im trying to get a feel if there is more that I have to do before I receive an official offer Im not sure if there are separate processes for CDC and hosts since our host agencies are government sites as well. Do we have to conduct and pass a different process by our hosts?

Thanks everyone!!!!

Hello PHAP! Question for current/former PHAPers. I already submitted and passed my background check but what are the next steps. Is there another background check/drug screening/security clearance completed by your host agency? Im trying to get a feel if there is more that I have to do before I receive an official offer Im not sure if there are separate processes for CDC and hosts since our host agencies are government sites as well. Do we have to conduct and pass a different process by our hosts?

Thanks everyone!!!!

Nice question.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Not that I've heard of.

Thanks everyone!!!!

I did not have to go through another clearance at my host site but I did have to fill out some general paperwork and receive my host site ID ( The security at the my health department doesn't really accept my CDC badge).

But other general things to note after you get your offical offer letter... you'll have to call CDC's IT department to set up your account on your host site computer (if you receive one) and I remember we had to watch a DVD on computer/network safety that you guys may have to do as well. Also don't forget to have paper copies of your official offer letter- this was really helpful for me when I was looking at housing and going to the DMV in my new state to complete all their complicated paperwork, etc.

Thanks everyone!!!!

I did not have to go through another clearance at my host site but I did have to fill out some general paperwork and receive my host site ID ( The security at the my health department doesn't really accept my CDC badge).

But other general things to note after you get your offical offer letter... you'll have to call CDC's IT department to set up your account on your host site computer (if you receive one) and I remember we had to watch a DVD on computer/network safety that you guys may have to do as well. Also don't forget to have paper copies of your official offer letter- this was really helpful for me when I was looking at housing and going to the DMV in my new state to complete all their complicated paperwork, etc.

Pretty sure that depends on your host site. I did not have to do anything besides fill out a general form at my host site (I didn't have to call CDC to set up my computer), but I know others who had host sites that wanted their background check results before they had computer access. All that to say, it depends. But as far as CDC goes, that should be it.

How long does it normally take for security clearance to be completed? I had my finger prints on July 24th. Not sure if its still early for me to hear any feedback.
Any thoughts?

Has anyone with Erica Hayes had any luck with security? Was told I would be contacted by security a few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything.

Does anyone have any information regarding when we might be headed to Atlanta for orientation? I saw previous post regarding the trip but I wanted to see if anyone received an update. I will be moving from FL to CA and wanted a time frame on when to head out and start looking for places to live etc... Thanks!

Does anyone have any information regarding when we might be headed to Atlanta for orientation? I saw previous post regarding the trip but I wanted to see if anyone received an update. I will be moving from FL to CA and wanted a time frame on when to head out and start looking for places to live etc... Thanks!
My rep told me it starts on Oct 6,2015.

Thanks!! Is that also when they will tell us the exact location of our host site as well? I only know the city but Santa Cruz is a large area to house hunt.

Thanks!! Is that also when they will tell us the exact location of our host site as well? I only know the city but Santa Cruz is a large area to house hunt.
In the past you've gotten your host site information before your start date. Also usually you do a week at your host site, then head to Atlanta for a week. Not sure if it'll be different this year.

Thanks for the info! The October start date is throwing me off a little bit with my school plans. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Thanks for the info! The October start date is throwing me off a little bit with my school plans. Hopefully we hear something soon.
HR Rep also said they are in the process of verifying transcripts & getting background checks back. Welcome letters are also starting to be sent out as well . I'm not sure if these are official letters but I would think so (just a guess). Had to resubmit my background check done in early July to my security rep last week. He said Office of Personnel site is back up; so I guess they are finally doing my check. HR rep said it takes 7-10 days to complete.
Hope that helps.

Here is what I got this morning. Several other people got same.

Dear ******
Congratulations! This confirms your selection to a position as a Public Health Advisor, GS-0685-5, step 1, with an annual salary of $*****. This position is covered under the Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates.

Your appointment is effective October 4, 2015
Please report on Monday, October 5, 2015.to your assigned duty station location to be sworn in. All PHAP employees must call in on Monday, October 5, 2015 to be sworn in by CDC Human Resources. Call in numbers will provided at a later date. You must upload your passport, or valid driver’s license AND social security card or certified birth certificate into the onboarding system. See the attached list of acceptable documents to provide.

It also mentioned that PHAP will be in touch with host sites next week.

Last edited:
:oops::oops::oops::oops:
Here is what I got this morning. Several other people got same.

Dear ******
Congratulations! This confirms your selection to a position as a Public Health Advisor, GS-0685-5, step 1, with an annual salary of $*****. This position is covered under the Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates.

Your appointment is effective October 4, 2015
Please report on Monday, October 5, 2015.to your assigned duty station location to be sworn in. All PHAP employees must call in on Monday, October 5, 2015 to be sworn in by CDC Human Resources. Call in numbers will provided at a later date. You must upload your passport, or valid driver’s license AND social security card or certified birth certificate into the onboarding system. See the attached list of acceptable documents to provide.

It also mentioned that PHAP will be in touch with host sites next week.
How long did it take for your background check start, received a email stating your cleared then this email yesterday? I completed the SF form on 7/6 along with my fingerprints but last week had to re-do it under the EQIP (think that's the name) system on 7/30. This is a long wait from getting my call on 6/8. Anxiety has kicked in now after reading your post. But I'm breathing

I see! Thanks for the update. I know a few of us are having to wait on info due to the issues of background checks and transcripts being verified. Thanks to all who responded, any update is greatly appreciated!

Did onboarding on 6/15, faxed background forms 7/15, I never got any email about my background clearance. I was was worried about that and I contacted my background personnel on wednesday and he said he would contact me next week about doing the online eQip. He stated to call HR about background clearance. I contacted HR and the lady stated she has my transcript but don't have my background clearance, that they are in process of making final offers. Then on Thursday morning around 5.53am, I got the official letter with instructions on webinar that will take place in September and reporting to site location on October 5th.

I haven't done the online eQip. But submitted paper forms.

this HTML class. Value is The PHAP office wil
:oops::oops::oops::oops:
How long did it take for your background check start, received a email stating your cleared then this email yesterday? I completed the SF form on 7/6 along with my fingerprints but last week had to re-do it under the EQIP (think that's the name) system on 7/30. This is a long wait from getting my call on 6/8. Anxiety has kicked in now after reading your post. But I'm breathing

8/6/2015

Dear ******
Congratulations! This confirms your selection to a position as a Public Health Advisor, GS-0685-5, step 1, with an annual salary of $*******. This position is covered under the Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates. This position is with the Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in ****. The position has a promotion potential to the GS-9 and is covered via the Pathways Recent Graduates Authority. This position may be eligible for conversion to career conditional after successful completion of a two year trial period.

Your appointment is effective October 4, 2015.

CDC Informational Webinar:

CDC will host two information sessions with PHAP Selectees to provide pertinent information about benefits, security and how to prepare for your first day. Call in numbers will be provided at a later time.

Last names A-L: September 14, 2015 at 11:00am

Last names M-Z: September 16, 2015 at 11:00am

To insure everyone receives the most up to date information, Please email any questions you may have in preparation for the webinar to: [email protected].

Before you arrive for your first day:

OnBoarding Manager System

You are required to complete the new employee forms through the online OnBoarding Manager system within 3 calendar days of receiving your login information. Please refer to the Getting Started link for instructions on using the OnBoarding Manager system. Your user ID and password were sent to you in a separate e-mail. Failure to complete these forms could result in a later start date and/or delayed access and entry into CDC buildings and computer network systems.

Benefits

CDC offers a comprehensive benefits package. To make your first day more informative, please review the information related to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), retirement benefits, as well as health and life benefits (as applicable) prior to the New Employee Orientation (NEO) Webinar. You may visit the following web-site to view different plans: http://www.opm.gov/insure/new_employ/index.asp. You are given a period of 60 days from your date of hire to elect health and life benefits. If you have chosen a health provider, then you may complete the forms and make your elections during the NEO. *Note: coverage does not begin until an election is made, other than Basic Life Insurance which is automatic enrollment.

If you have any questions regarding or need special accommodations, please contact me at 770-

Did onboarding on 6/15, faxed background forms 7/15, I never got any email about my background clearance. I was was worried about that and I contacted my background personnel on wednesday and he said he would contact me next week about doing the online eQip. He stated to call HR about background clearance. I contacted HR and the lady stated she has my transcript but don't have my background clearance, that they are in process of making final offers. Then on Thursday morning around 5.53am, I got the official letter with instructions on webinar that will take place in September and reporting to site location on October 5th.

I haven't done the online eQip. But submitted paper forms.

this HTML class. Value is The PHAP office wil
Ok, thanks a bunch. The EQip online is the same as the SF paper you filled out. I used my copy to complete the online version. You have to sign 2 forms & uploaded them into the system.
My HR rep said 7-10 days to complete the background check. Aug 14 will be my tenth day. So I should be hearing back next week. I haven't secure a apartment because I'm waiting on my official letter before saying yes to a place in Florida.
I'm still breathing through my anxiety. But I know my clearance will pass. Just want to find a place ; then I can feel more easy about moving to another state.
Can't wait to meet the fellow PHAPs' in Atlanta when we meet up there.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got another welcome email from CDC few minutes ago with host site info and supervisor info. I know more people will get final offer today and next week. Relax, and it will come.

Last edited:
I just got another welcome email from CDC few minutes ago with host site info and supervisor info. I know more people will get final offer today and next week. Relax, and it will come.
Thanks for Sharing with us. Who is your HR person?

Joyce Stevens is my initial HR person, Lateasia was the one who emailed me the official offer letter. The second welcome letter was sent by PHAP/CDC.

I think if an offer hasn't come in by now, it's safe to give up hope.

I think if an offer hasn't come in by now, it's safe to give up hope.
I know of a couple of people that have declined their offer. I would wait until closer to the end of August before giving up hope.

Anyone else waiting on their welcome/official letter and background check clearance? I had to resubmit mine on 7.30.15 through Eqip. HR rep said it takes 7-10 days for them to get back. My boss did receive a questionnaire to fill out last week from personnel. She mailed it back last Tuesday. None of my references received a call or questionnaires.
Hope it comes this week, because apartment vacancies I'm watching for in FL are filling up and rent is increasing.

Is there anyone on here that has not joined the PHAP Facebook group? We would like to add you if you have either received a tentative or official letter. Lots of us are trying to connect with others for housing.

Anyone else waiting on their welcome/official letter and background check clearance? I had to resubmit mine on 7.30.15 through Eqip. HR rep said it takes 7-10 days for them to get back. My boss did receive a questionnaire to fill out last week from personnel. She mailed it back last Tuesday. None of my references received a call or questionnaires.
Hope it comes this week, because apartment vacancies I'm watching for in FL are filling up and rent is increasing.

I am still waiting for my official offer letter and background check clearance. My references did not tell me if they received a call or questionnaire. I only had to submit paper forms to my security specialist. Hope we get our offer letters soon!

I got my tentative offer mid-June and submitted my security clearance paperwork about 5 weeks ago.

Hey I submitted my background check stuff about five weeks ago too. I have been calling and emailing my security check person and HR rep for the past two weeks. My HR rep responded yesterday that she was waiting on my security clearance .My security clearancy person told me today that he cleared me and letters should come out soon ( whatever that means ). He also told me that at one point the system went down ( whatever that means )

I am still waiting for my official offer letter and background check clearance. My references did not tell me if they received a call or questionnaire. I only had to submit paper forms to my security specialist. Hope we get our offer letters soon!

I got my tentative offer mid-June and submitted my security clearance paperwork about 5 weeks ago.