You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015 Texas School Rankings
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Baylor > *
Just my personal opinion:
1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. UTH
4. UTHSCSA
5. Texas A&M
6. UTMB
7. Texas Tech Lubbock
8. Texas Tech El Paso
9. TCOM
10. UT Dell Medical School (this school will be phenomenal one day, but I would never want to be in the first class anywhere)
11. UT Rio Grande Valley
1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. UTH
4. UTHSCSA
5. Texas A&M
6. UTMB
7. Texas Tech Lubbock
8. Texas Tech El Paso
9. TCOM
10. UT Dell Medical School (this school will be phenomenal one day, but I would never want to be in the first class anywhere)
11. UT Rio Grande Valley
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Baylor > UTSW > UTH > UTMB > UTSA > Dell > A&M > TT Lubbock > TT El Paso > UT Rio Grande > TCOM
Not necessarily in the order I would attend (fit and interviews heavily influenced my decision), but this is how I would rank based on reputation, opportunities available, location, etc.
Not necessarily in the order I would attend (fit and interviews heavily influenced my decision), but this is how I would rank based on reputation, opportunities available, location, etc.
Baylor > UTSW > UTH > UTMB > UTSA > Dell > A&M > TT Lubbock > TT El Paso > UT Rio Grande > TCOM
Not necessarily in the order I would attend (fit and interviews heavily influenced my decision), but this is how I would rank based on reputation, opportunities available, location, etc.
+1
But honestly, go to the school where you think you would succeed/be happy. They are all great schools.
1. Baylor
2. UTSW
3. UT Houston
4. UTHSCSA
5. A&M
6. UTMB
7. TT Lubbock
8. Dell
9. TT EP
10. TCOM
11. UT Rio Grande
I agree that all of these schools are great as well. Ranking largely depends on each applicant's preferences.
2. UTSW
3. UT Houston
4. UTHSCSA
5. A&M
6. UTMB
7. TT Lubbock
8. Dell
9. TT EP
10. TCOM
11. UT Rio Grande
I agree that all of these schools are great as well. Ranking largely depends on each applicant's preferences.
My opinion: UTSW > Baylor > UTH > UTHSCSA > Dell > UTMB > A&M > Lubbock
don't know enough about the rest
don't know enough about the rest
My opinion based on prestige, opportunities, facilities ect...
Baylor
UTSW
UTH
UTMB
UTHSCSA
Dell
A&M
TCOM
TT Lubbock
PLFSOM
UTRGV
My personal match rankings based on interviews, location, and overall fit...
UTHSCSA
UTH
A&M
Dell
UTSW
UTMB
TCOM
TT Lubbock
PLFSOM
Baylor
UTSW
UTH
UTMB
UTHSCSA
Dell
A&M
TCOM
TT Lubbock
PLFSOM
UTRGV
My personal match rankings based on interviews, location, and overall fit...
UTHSCSA
UTH
A&M
Dell
UTSW
UTMB
TCOM
TT Lubbock
PLFSOM
This thread is pretty helpful, too http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rank-the-texas-medical-schools.1093616/
TCOM over Tech Lubbock on the first list is beyond hilarious.My opinion based on prestige, opportunities, facilities ect...
Baylor
UTSW
UTH
UTMB
UTHSCSA
Dell
A&M
TCOM
TT Lubbock
PLFSOM
UTRGV
My personal match rankings based on interviews, location, and overall fit...
UTHSCSA
UTH
A&M
Dell
UTSW
UTMB
TCOM
TT Lubbock
PLFSOM
TCOM over Tech Lubbock on the first list is beyond hilarious.
I think they're better viewed in tiers, with some schools practically equivalent in terms of resources, opportunities, etc
Tier 1: BCM/UTSW, UTHealth
Tier 2: UTMB, UTHSCSA, A&M
Tier 3: Lubbock, TTEP, TCOM
Tier 4: Dell, UTRGV (currently)
IMHO, TT-Lubbock and TCOM are fairly comparable. Lubbock's an awesome school for directly addressing the physician shortage in west Texas, establishing a landmark 3-year family medicine track for medical students, and exposing its students to the realities of health care disparities in under-served settings like Midland, Amarillo, etc. TCOM's doing something similar by prioritizing primary care in its curriculum.
Although it doesn't grant an MD degree, it is arguably the best DO school in the country. All of the schools in Texas consider the school one of their own and place essentially zero bias against their graduates for residency programs. Texas isn't really one of the states with a measurable DO bias.
Last edited:
https://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/documents/Match_List_2015.pdf You can see here students match into some prestigious programs and competitive residencies. Primary care is not as emphasized as it seems from the outside.I think they're better viewed in tiers, with some schools practically equivalent in terms of resources, opportunities, etc
Tier 1: BCM/UTSW, UTHealth
Tier 2: UTMB, UTHSCSA, A&M
Tier 3: Lubbock, TTEP, TCOM
Tier 4: Dell, UTRGV (currently)
IMHO, TT-Lubbock and TCOM are fairly comparable. Lubbock's an awesome school for directly addressing the physician shortage in west Texas, establishing a landmark 3-year family medicine track for medical students, and exposing its students to the realities of health care disparities in under-served settings like Midland, Amarillo, etc. TCOM's doing something similar by prioritizing primary care in its curriculum.
Although it doesn't grant an MD degree, it is arguably the best DO school in the country. All of the schools in Texas consider the school one of their own and place essentially zero bias against their graduates for residency programs. Texas isn't really one of the states with a measurable DO bias.
For starters, TTU has its own teaching hospital adjacent to the medical school complete with a level 1 trauma center. Not to mention the MD degree (for >30 years) alone puts it above a DO degree.
LOL It's a simple matter of opinion.TCOM over Tech Lubbock on the first list is beyond hilarious.
The second list to me was opinion where the first one is more objective. But hey, each to their own 🙂LOL It's a simple matter of opinion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tier 1: BCM/UTSW, UTHealth
Tier 2: UTMB, UTHSCSA, A&M
Tier 3: Lubbock, TTEP, TCOM
Tier 4: Dell, UTRGV (currently)
Why would you place UTH in your Tier 1? These would be my tiers.
Tier 1: BCM, UTSW
Tier 2: UTH, UTMB, UTHSCSA
Tier 3: A&M, Lubbock, TTEP, TCOM
Tier 4: Dell, UTRGV (currently)
https://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/documents/Match_List_2015.pdf You can see here students match into some prestigious programs and competitive residencies. Primary care is not as emphasized as it seems from the outside.
For starters, TTU has its own teaching hospital adjacent to the medical school complete with a level 1 trauma center. Not to mention the MD degree (for >30 years) alone puts it above a DO degree.
That's a great match list, but TCOM as well has a history of matching to the more competitive specialties like ortho, ophtho, derm, rads, etc; here is their match list from this year's graduating class: https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-colleg...ssions-and-outreach/residency-placement-data/. Again, this proves that in Texas, DO is not inferior to MD.
Yeah, Lubbock has great clinical facilities, but they're not exactly better from what DFW offers: JPS, Cook Children's, Parkland, etc. The clinical exposure are both places are fairly equivalent.
Why would you place UTH in your Tier 1? These would be my tiers.
Tier 1: BCM, UTSW
Tier 2: UTH, UTMB, UTHSCSA
Tier 3: A&M, Lubbock, TTEP, TCOM
Tier 4: Dell, UTRGV (currently)
Nationally BCM has the better reputation, but I'd say that UTH is gradually closing the gap!
Last edited:
Baylor>UTSW>UT Houston>UTMB=UTSA>Dell=A&M=Lubbock
I cannot give an opinion on TCOM or El Paso because I have not interviewed there.
I cannot give an opinion on TCOM or El Paso because I have not interviewed there.
"more objective" doesn't equal 100% objective. Everyone has different opinions on ranking the Texas schools, especially when it comes to TCOM and the Tech schools. It's not like I ranked TCOM above Baylor. That would be, as you call it, "beyond hilarious".The second list to me was opinion where the first one is more objective. But hey, each to their own 🙂
And my second list is not opinion, it is fact.
I know for a fact that I will be happier at UTHSCSA then PLFSOM.
But hey, to each their own. 🙂
Last edited:
Tier 1: BCM, UTSW
Tier 2: UTH, UTMB, UTHSCSA
Tier 3: A&M, Lubbock, TTEP, TCOM
Tier 4: Dell, UTRGV (currently)
That's sort of my idea, too, but I'd stick TCOM in Tier 4 (based on purely subjective reasons - I have friends attending both schools, and have heard enough to be able to sway my opinion one way or another), and bump the new schools down to Tier 5. I'm not familiar with UTHSCSA, so I defer to people who know better. Wasn't really blown away at A&M, so on a list of personal preferences, I'd group it with TCOM in Tier 4.
Despite whatever tier or position your favorite school holds on anyone's list, you're going to get a great medical education no matter where you end up.
That's sort of my idea, too, but I'd stick TCOM in Tier 4 (based on purely subjective reasons - I have friends attending both schools, and have heard enough to be able to sway my opinion one way or another), and bump the new schools down to Tier 5. I'm not familiar with UTHSCSA, so I defer to people who know better. Wasn't really blown away at A&M, so on a list of personal preferences, I'd group it with TCOM in Tier 4.
Despite whatever tier or position your favorite school holds on anyone's list, you're going to get a great medical education no matter where you end up.
It is so helpful to hear everyone else's input on the new schools. So even though Dell is connected to a Tier 1 research institution with new facilities and a curriculum that resembles Duke's, you would still rank it as one of the last on your list? I had the hardest time ranking Dell and want to place it at the top of my preference rank, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea because it's brand new. I guess I'm just not fully aware of how much of a risk it is to attend a new school.
Totally agree - seeing opinions across the board really helps with all this ranking we're going to have to do.It is so helpful to hear everyone else's input on the new schools. So even though Dell is connected to a Tier 1 research institution with new facilities and a curriculum that resembles Duke's, you would still rank it as one of the last on your list? I had the hardest time ranking Dell and want to place it at the top of my preference rank, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea because it's brand new. I guess I'm just not aware of how much of a risk it is to attend a new school.
Compared to other newly-opened schools, I assume Dell is one of the "safer" ones - with all its backing, institutional and otherwise, I wouldn't have nearly as many qualms about being in its first class than I would somewhere else. That said, I would also much rather attend an already established school, where the chances of being a crash-test dummy are a little lower. It's just the kind of person I am - I like to play it safe!
Last edited:
It is so helpful to hear everyone else's input on the new schools. So even though Dell is connected to a Tier 1 research institution with new facilities and a curriculum that resembles Duke's, you would still rank it as one of the last on your list? I had the hardest time ranking Dell and want to place it at the top of my preference rank, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea because it's brand new. I guess I'm just not fully aware of how much of a risk it is to attend a new school.
I'm actually really jealous that you got an interview at Dell! I didn't even get a secondary haha, and my PI helped develop their curriculum. It's going to be an incredible learning experience with a flipped classroom model and less dictation but more application and active learning. They've also recruited some amazing faculty from schools like UCSF, UTSW, Baylor, etc. The research opportunities will be top-notch. The location is perfect (no seriously, Austin beats Dallas and Houston any day of the week if you're in your 20s/30s.) They're also recruiting students that would be able to handle a 1 year preclinical curriculum, so if you got an interview, they know you can handle the pace and rigor.
I put the school in Tier 4 for my current, objective rankings but I have no doubt that they'll be top 2-3 schools in Texas within the decade.
EDIT: Fun fact. Dell was recently recognized by AMA for accelerating change in the way medical school is taught: https://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/ab...ting-change-in-medical-education/schools.page
Last edited:
Tier 1: texas md schools
Tier 3: tcom
Tier 3: tcom
- Whoever accepts you
- The ones that reject you
- Whoever accepts you
- The ones that reject you
I guess we'll find out soon enough
last year they sent out the acceptances on a Saturday, so why don't you think they will send them out on Sunday this year? It's probably automated anyway.
(at least I hope they send them out on Sunday...)
(at least I hope they send them out on Sunday...)
last year they sent out the acceptances on a Saturday, so why don't you think they will send them out on Sunday this year? It's probably automated anyway.
(at least I hope they send them out on Sunday...)
Yeah I was looking at that, too. However some schools sent them out at 12:01 and others sent them out periodically through the day on Saturday. Whatever they do, Sunday is going to be nerve wracking!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure most will send them out on Sunday - I said that juuuuust in case some schools didn't.last year they sent out the acceptances on a Saturday, so why don't you think they will send them out on Sunday this year? It's probably automated anyway.
(at least I hope they send them out on Sunday...)
How would you all rank or compare the preclinical curriculum/schedules against each other? From what I've seen, UTHSCSA/UTRGV, PLFSOM, and TCOM have fairly forward-thinking curricula, and UTMB has half-days, which is also really appealing. UTH's curriculum and testing schedule are both kinda intense though. How about the other schools?
Considering UTRGV and Dell are giving 80% scholarships to their first year classes, will this affect anyone's rankings? I really wish I had an opportunity to do second looks before making a decision. 🙁
I think Dell is only doing 30% according to their website. Which schools are you struggling over?
Last edited:
Bumping this thread since the ranking deadline is near - how are yall planning to rank?
what i'll most likely put down:
1. A&M (really like the 1.5 yr curriculum and clinical training options - TMC, Dallas, Austin, Scott&White, etc.)
2. UT Rio Grande (really digging their curriculum, weekly schedule, community focus, + the tuition break! they seem very invested in their students)
3. TCOM (pre-matched. awesome osteopathic school and great clinical training but not a fan of the 9-5 schedule)
EDIT 1/17: Now ranking RGV 1, TAMHSC 2, TCOM 3
what i'll most likely put down:
1. A&M (really like the 1.5 yr curriculum and clinical training options - TMC, Dallas, Austin, Scott&White, etc.)
2. UT Rio Grande (really digging their curriculum, weekly schedule, community focus, + the tuition break! they seem very invested in their students)
3. TCOM (pre-matched. awesome osteopathic school and great clinical training but not a fan of the 9-5 schedule)
EDIT 1/17: Now ranking RGV 1, TAMHSC 2, TCOM 3
Last edited:
My final rankings....
1. UTHSCSA (pre-match)
2. UT Houston (Pre-match)
3. UT Austin Dell
4.UT Southwestern (pre-match)
5. Texas A&M (pre-match)
6. UTMB (pre-match)
7. TCOM (withdrew pre-match)
8. Texas Tech (withdrew pre-match)
9. PLFSOM (withdrew pre-match)
10. UTRGV (withdrew II)
Will be so happy when everything is made official on match day!
1. UTHSCSA (pre-match)
2. UT Houston (Pre-match)
3. UT Austin Dell
4.UT Southwestern (pre-match)
5. Texas A&M (pre-match)
6. UTMB (pre-match)
7. TCOM (withdrew pre-match)
8. Texas Tech (withdrew pre-match)
9. PLFSOM (withdrew pre-match)
10. UTRGV (withdrew II)
Will be so happy when everything is made official on match day!
Last edited:
So many acronyms...
My final rankings....
1. UTHSCSA (pre-match)
2. UT Houston (Pre-match)
3. UT Austin Dell
4.UT Southwestern (pre-match)
5. Texas A&M (pre-match)
6. UTMB (pre-match)
7. TCOM (withdrew pre-match)
8. Texas Tech (withdrew pre-match)
9. PLFSOM (withdrew pre-match)
10. UTRGV (withdrew II)
Will be so happy when everything is made official on match day!
Eight pre-matches?!
Congratulations!So when do we start saying McGovern med instead of UTH ? 😉
So when do we start saying McGovern med instead of UTH ? 😉
Never.
Thanks!!!Eight pre-matches?!
Congratulations!
Ohhh oops...I completely forgot lol😕So when do we start saying McGovern med instead of UTH ? 😉
.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 40
- Views
- 14K