[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by doggydog, Aug 12, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. supinationpronation

supinationpronation

Oct 27, 2016

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SpacemanSpifff

SpacemanSpifff 2+ Year Member

May 8, 2012
    Guys and gals, I don't mean to sound insensitive, but what is the purpose of questions like this? Is it going to help your anxiety to hear that no one on SDN has heard back? Does that really change anything?
    Rank lists are due next week. The part of this process that we had any control over is done. Please, go work out, go drink, go do something, anything, other than speculate about what emails (or lack there of) from programs mean. Things will work out just fine.

4. DocBeardface

DocBeardface 2+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Moving a conversation from ROL thread to here..

Why not a similar system for interviews as we do for match? We make a list in order of where we would like to interview, the programs make lists of who they want to interview, and then you get "matched" to a designated number of interviews, i.e. 12-15. In this system, people get the interviews they really care about and programs get people who want to be there...

The snag is couples match and I haven't come up with a solution for that yet..

5. tux4

tux4

Dec 23, 2015
    But then what if people cancel interviews? Hold a second match? The interview process is too dynamic to control like this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

6. SeparationAnxiety

SeparationAnxiety

Sep 28, 2016
    That makes sense but I don't see any significant changes coming down the pipe until we start seeing more than 1-2 unfilled EM slots per year. Maybe with all the new programs that will be sooner rather than later. All the PDs talk about how they are dynamic agents of change, but the reality is they are administrators and most won't take risks unless a metric they answer for is threatened. Applicant stress or system fairness aren't one of those metrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DocBeardface

DocBeardface 2+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Then it just automatically goes to the next person on the list, they can accept or reject and continue in that way until someone takes it.

8. SamtheWise

SamtheWise

Mar 1, 2017
    I think a better way to do it would be for it to be all controlled through interview broker. You have 12-15 interview spots and can fill them up as invites come in. If an interview you want comes later in the season, but you're filled up at 15, you can cancel one of your remaining interviews (as long as it's not within 2 weeks or something) and use that spot to accept the new interview. It's an imperfect system, but I think it's feasible with the resources already in place, and most importantly, it keeps the programs from collaborating on who they offer interview spots.

If programs don't want to participate in the interview broker system, then they can still do it through ERAS or emails to coordinators, but then they have no excuse to complain about everyone canceling their interviews last minute, or whatever.

9. SamtheWise

SamtheWise

Mar 1, 2017
    The other thing that needs to happen is that students need better advising. Every student is different, and top students need to be told that it's OK to not apply to 30+ programs because they're just going to be at best jamming up the system and at worst holding on to interviews they have no intention of attending simply because the invite came early in the season and they haven't hit their magic number of invites yet.

I think the ideal system is one in which all students applying EM receive high quality advising coupled with an interview scheduling system that physically limits the number of interviews it's possible to hold. The carrot and the stick, if you will.

Other items on my wishlist (less realistic): ban post interview communications, ban second looks, and publish a blacklist of programs that inflate SLOE grades

10. mega_colon

mega_colon 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2015
    The problem I anticipate with this is that advisors wont knows applicant competitiveness until SLOEs are posted, which is usually after ERAS opens. Poor SLOEs can make a 250+ x2 candidate not competitive.

11. EMedGrrl

EMedGrrl 10+ Year Member

Feb 8, 2007
    You are presuming that students would listen to and follow this high quality advising. That is a faulty assumption.

LilKangaroo likes this.
  12. jessk2015

jessk2015

Oct 1, 2016
    Guys, Match Day is in two weeks! OMGzzz. I don't know if I'll be happy or sad, but I plan on gorging myself on pizza after either way. (I've been abstaining from pizza lately, it's very sad).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

13. FirefighterDoc

FirefighterDoc MS-4 7+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Illinois
    MDApps:
    I concur, that is very sad.

jessk2015 likes this.
  14. LostinLift

LostinLift 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Quick question about your aways on VSAS... how long did it take for your home school to verify for your application? I submitted mine on the first day within minutes, but it took them 3 days to verify and send it. Did anyone find that to be a problem for them in securing aways? Not that you would necessarily know if it mattered, but did you feel like that was a factor?

15. Babycatsinabag

Babycatsinabag

Dec 3, 2016
    Not an issue, it's the same for all schools/applicants.

16. dadaddadaBATMAN

dadaddadaBATMAN 2+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Umbrella pulled out
    I too am moved by your lack of pizza. This is an item of much concern. You must fix your pizza deficit, lest the existential dread set in.

May your future be filled with many pizzas, and with much cheese.

Good luck in the match everyone

ichabodcrane, jessk2015 and Apollyon like this.
  17. EastCoastEMApplicant17

EastCoastEMApplicant17

Oct 5, 2016
    Sad!

I'm going to the local diner near the medical school after the match day celebration. Nothing like a good meal at the restaurant that is most associated with the city you're leaving

18. rcheech7

rcheech7 MS-IV 7+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Time is literally standing still until Monday it seems bros

19. EMPertinent

EMPertinent

Oct 5, 2016
    Longest. Week. Ever. The existential dread is real.

20. Whiteshoes

Whiteshoes Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Saw this post in the Rank thread but posted my question here since I didn't wanna clutter that thread..

Is an IMG who applied to 100+ programs w/ 11 interviews/ranks statistically in a better spot than a US MD/DO who applied 35 & got 5 interviews/ranks? Just curious

JBOB likes this.
  21. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    IMG with 11 interviews is quite a strong swimmer. US MD with 5 interviews on 35 apps? That person has a BIG red flag somewhere. US DO? Middle ground. 5/35 for DO could indicate poor choice of where to apply.

So, my opinion? The IMG is in the high seat.

Whiteshoes likes this.
  22. JBOB

JBOB 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2012

Does the ratio of apps/interviews really matter at this point? I would think that the number of interviews attended is really all that matters in terms of chances of matching.

23. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Yeah, but the IMG is also a narwhal. Not quite a unicorn, but close, and nobody believes you when you see it.

Whiteshoes likes this.
  24. Apollyon

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    But the reason why the certain person got how many or few interviews is the key. The AMG with 5/35 has a red flag, and that would suggest they're not going to be at the top of the rank list of those places where he DID interview. If you are a US MD candidate, you apply, you get interviews, unless there's a flag.

25. rkmoto121

rkmoto121 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2010
    My school has been verifying same day if I submit an app in the morning or the following morning if I submit at night. Idk if this will really make a difference though.

26. Lexdiamondz

Lexdiamondz 5+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Agreed. A US-MD who is only getting interviews from 15% of the places they applied to has at least one red flag, whether that be board scores below most school's threshold, a failure, disciplinary action or a really bad SLOE.

RockFlag&Eagle and Apollyon like this.
  27. SeparationAnxiety

SeparationAnxiety

Sep 28, 2016
    Or they were just an average applicant that made some bad decisions regarding region targeted or reaches vs safety programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racerwad, flymaster99 and Gomertose like this.
  28. JBOB

JBOB 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Agreed, but I would argue that an applicant with 11 interviews who applied to >100 programs has about the same chance of matching as someone with 11 interviews who applied to 30 programs.

jessk2015 likes this.
  29. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Not necessarily. It doesn't really work that way.

30. JBOB

JBOB 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2012
    upload_2017-3-9_14-3-7.png

Why do you say that? Looking at the above, it would seem that after a certain point (ie, >13 or so interviews), everyone matches.

31. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Because it doesn't. Who is that 1 with 16 or more contiguous ranks that didn't match?

Statistically, sure, they have better odds. But that doesn't mean anything to the individual.

32. JBOB

JBOB 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Okay so how does it work then? Are programs interviewing people they already know are gong to be at the bottom of their rank lists?

33. Lexdiamondz

Dec 16, 2011
    That data is for people who go on interviews, not people with interview invites.

If your % yield for invites/apps is only 11% that means that for one or more reasons, you're not an ideal candidate in the eyes of the majority of PDs eyes. With the exception of those places you did aways at, you're likely near the middle to bottom of these program's rank lists.

Basically.

Remember that nearly everyone who gets >12 invites matches, but there's no qualitative data that differentiates those who applied to 20 programs and went on 12 interviews, and those who applied to 100 for the same number.

34. Lexdiamondz

Dec 16, 2011
    I mean, while there are alot of EM programs, there aren't so many that you can apply to 35 and only get 5 interviews as a US applicant. You have to really be foolhardy with your choice of programs to end up with only 5 interviews, I mean literally trying not to match.

35. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Well, they know that half of them will be in the bottom half of their lists. And yet they still interview them.
    The point that seems to be escaping your gravity is that the number of interviews correlates pretty well with a test score/grade/SLOE matrix. But people can still shoot themselves in the foot. And if the interviews are offered before some red flag pops up (late letter, failed step II, etc), then the number in and of itself means nothing.
    So while you can argue that for a group of people, those going on 12 or more interviews have a better chance than those going on 5 in matching. Sure. But population statistics don't apply to the person.

36. JBOB

JBOB 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Look, the point I'm making is that if an applicant went on >12 interviews, the chances of them not matching is very low. >600 applicants ranked more than 12 programs last year, only 3 of them went unmatched. The vast vast majority of individuals who don't match did not go on/get enough interviews.

37. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    And the point I'm making is that I went on 12 interviews once and didn't match.
    You can flip a coin 100 times and get 100 heads, but the 101th time the odds are still 50/50 that it's tails.

38. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director Gold Donor

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    Faculty
    My suspicion is, those 3 that ranked 12+ programs and didn't match had a major personality flaw. Looked good on paper, so they secured a bunch of interviews, but then interviewed poorly. I mean, its just a suspicion, but otherwise, but it would make a ton of sense how someone could secure a decent number of interviews, yet be so lowly ranked on everyones match list that they didn't match anywhere.

I mean statistically, it can still happen. 12 isn't a magic number. But still, it is extraordinarily rare. But I get it, it stinks if it happens to you as McNinja points out.

39. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Pretty much this.
    Although there might be other things than personality flaws that hold them back. In my case it was a SLOE that dropped after I got my first 12 interviews. No more invites offered. It was a hand grenade in my file.

40. jessk2015

jessk2015

Oct 1, 2016
    This particular back and forth is making me very nervous for Monday.

41. Apollyon

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    But weren't you couples matching, too?

42. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    Yep

43. BoardingDoc

BoardingDoc Don't worry. I've got my towel. 7+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Well now I want to know the Dr. McNinja application saga.

44. Apollyon

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Physician
    I think it's all covered by those two posts.

Dr.McNinja likes this.
  45. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Physician
    Faculty
    And AFAIK it's still available in the archives. I don't think I deleted anything.

46. doggydog

doggydog Woof.

Mar 20, 2016
    Yeah, it is.

47. savemyprecious

savemyprecious

Sep 28, 2016
    We're here, watching waiting.

MelMcT2009 likes this.
  48. EMGui2017

EMGui2017

Oct 12, 2016