[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then it just automatically goes to the next person on the list, they can accept or reject and continue in that way until someone takes it.

I think a better way to do it would be for it to be all controlled through interview broker. You have 12-15 interview spots and can fill them up as invites come in. If an interview you want comes later in the season, but you're filled up at 15, you can cancel one of your remaining interviews (as long as it's not within 2 weeks or something) and use that spot to accept the new interview. It's an imperfect system, but I think it's feasible with the resources already in place, and most importantly, it keeps the programs from collaborating on who they offer interview spots.

If programs don't want to participate in the interview broker system, then they can still do it through ERAS or emails to coordinators, but then they have no excuse to complain about everyone canceling their interviews last minute, or whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

The other thing that needs to happen is that students need better advising. Every student is different, and top students need to be told that it's OK to not apply to 30+ programs because they're just going to be at best jamming up the system and at worst holding on to interviews they have no intention of attending simply because the invite came early in the season and they haven't hit their magic number of invites yet.

I think the ideal system is one in which all students applying EM receive high quality advising coupled with an interview scheduling system that physically limits the number of interviews it's possible to hold. The carrot and the stick, if you will.

Other items on my wishlist (less realistic): ban post interview communications, ban second looks, and publish a blacklist of programs that inflate SLOE grades

The other thing that needs to happen is that students need better advising. Every student is different, and top students need to be told that it's OK to not apply to 30+ programs because they're just going to be at best jamming up the system and at worst holding on to interviews they have no intention of attending simply because the invite came early in the season and they haven't hit their magic number of invites yet.

I think the ideal system is one in which all students applying EM receive high quality advising coupled with an interview scheduling system that physically limits the number of interviews it's possible to hold. The carrot and the stick, if you will.

Other items on my wishlist (less realistic): ban post interview communications, ban second looks, and publish a blacklist of programs that inflate SLOE grades

The problem I anticipate with this is that advisors wont knows applicant competitiveness until SLOEs are posted, which is usually after ERAS opens. Poor SLOEs can make a 250+ x2 candidate not competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)

You are presuming that students would listen to and follow this high quality advising. That is a faulty assumption.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, Match Day is in two weeks! OMGzzz. I don't know if I'll be happy or sad, but I plan on gorging myself on pizza after either way. (I've been abstaining from pizza lately, it's very sad).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Guys, Match Day is in two weeks! OMGzzz. I don't know if I'll be happy or sad, but I plan on gorging myself on pizza after either way. (I've been abstaining from pizza lately, it's very sad).

I concur, that is very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Quick question about your aways on VSAS... how long did it take for your home school to verify for your application? I submitted mine on the first day within minutes, but it took them 3 days to verify and send it. Did anyone find that to be a problem for them in securing aways? Not that you would necessarily know if it mattered, but did you feel like that was a factor?

Quick question about your aways on VSAS... how long did it take for your home school to verify for your application? I submitted mine on the first day within minutes, but it took them 3 days to verify and send it. Did anyone find that to be a problem for them in securing aways? Not that you would necessarily know if it mattered, but did you feel like that was a factor?
Not an issue, it's the same for all schools/applicants.

I too am moved by your lack of pizza. This is an item of much concern. You must fix your pizza deficit, lest the existential dread set in.

May your future be filled with many pizzas, and with much cheese.

Good luck in the match everyone

Reactions: 2 users

Sad!

I'm going to the local diner near the medical school after the match day celebration. Nothing like a good meal at the restaurant that is most associated with the city you're leaving

You also don't know how many programs that applicant applied to - they could have applied to 100 and gotten 11 for all we know, so they likely aren't 'more deserving' than an US-IMG.

Furthermore, getting 220s/230s isn't marginal. Below average yes, but not marginal.

Saw this post in the Rank thread but posted my question here since I didn't wanna clutter that thread..

Is an IMG who applied to 100+ programs w/ 11 interviews/ranks statistically in a better spot than a US MD/DO who applied 35 & got 5 interviews/ranks? Just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw this post in the Rank thread but posted my question here since I didn't wanna clutter that thread..

Is an IMG who applied to 100+ programs w/ 11 interviews/ranks statistically in a better spot than a US MD/DO who applied 35 & got 5 interviews/ranks? Just curious
IMG with 11 interviews is quite a strong swimmer. US MD with 5 interviews on 35 apps? That person has a BIG red flag somewhere. US DO? Middle ground. 5/35 for DO could indicate poor choice of where to apply.

So, my opinion? The IMG is in the high seat.

IMG with 11 interviews is quite a strong swimmer. US MD with 5 interviews on 35 apps? That person has a BIG red flag somewhere. US DO? Middle ground. 5/35 for DO could indicate poor choice of where to apply.

So, my opinion? The IMG is in the high seat.

Does the ratio of apps/interviews really matter at this point? I would think that the number of interviews attended is really all that matters in terms of chances of matching.

Yeah, but the IMG is also a narwhal. Not quite a unicorn, but close, and nobody believes you when you see it.

Does the ratio of apps/interviews really matter at this point? I would think that the number of interviews attended is really all that matters in terms of chances of matching.
But the reason why the certain person got how many or few interviews is the key. The AMG with 5/35 has a red flag, and that would suggest they're not going to be at the top of the rank list of those places where he DID interview. If you are a US MD candidate, you apply, you get interviews, unless there's a flag.

My school has been verifying same day if I submit an app in the morning or the following morning if I submit at night. Idk if this will really make a difference though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But the reason why the certain person got how many or few interviews is the key. The AMG with 5/35 has a red flag, and that would suggest they're not going to be at the top of the rank list of those places where he DID interview. If you are a US MD candidate, you apply, you get interviews, unless there's a flag.

Agreed. A US-MD who is only getting interviews from 15% of the places they applied to has at least one red flag, whether that be board scores below most school's threshold, a failure, disciplinary action or a really bad SLOE.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. A US-MD who is only getting interviews from 15% of the places they applied to has at least one red flag, whether that be board scores below most school's threshold, a failure, disciplinary action or a really bad SLOE.

Or they were just an average applicant that made some bad decisions regarding region targeted or reaches vs safety programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, but I would argue that an applicant with 11 interviews who applied to >100 programs has about the same chance of matching as someone with 11 interviews who applied to 30 programs.

Agreed, but I would argue that an applicant with 11 interviews who applied to >100 programs has about the same chance of matching as someone with 11 interviews who applied to 30 programs.
Not necessarily. It doesn't really work that way.

Not necessarily. It doesn't really work that way.

upload_2017-3-9_14-3-7.png

Why do you say that? Looking at the above, it would seem that after a certain point (ie, >13 or so interviews), everyone matches.

View attachment 215990Why do you say that? Looking at the above, it would seem that after a certain point (ie, >13 or so interviews), everyone matches.
Because it doesn't. Who is that 1 with 16 or more contiguous ranks that didn't match?

Statistically, sure, they have better odds. But that doesn't mean anything to the individual.

Because it doesn't. Who is that 1 with 16 or more contiguous ranks that didn't match?

Statistically, sure, they have better odds. But that doesn't mean anything to the individual.

Okay so how does it work then? Are programs interviewing people they already know are gong to be at the bottom of their rank lists?

View attachment 215990

Why do you say that? Looking at the above, it would seem that after a certain point (ie, >13 or so interviews), everyone matches.
That data is for people who go on interviews, not people with interview invites.

If your % yield for invites/apps is only 11% that means that for one or more reasons, you're not an ideal candidate in the eyes of the majority of PDs eyes. With the exception of those places you did aways at, you're likely near the middle to bottom of these program's rank lists.

Okay so how does it work then? Are programs interviewing people they already know are gong to be at the bottom of their rank lists?

Basically.

Remember that nearly everyone who gets >12 invites matches, but there's no qualitative data that differentiates those who applied to 20 programs and went on 12 interviews, and those who applied to 100 for the same number.

Or they were just an average applicant that made some bad decisions regarding region targeted or reaches vs safety programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, while there are alot of EM programs, there aren't so many that you can apply to 35 and only get 5 interviews as a US applicant. You have to really be foolhardy with your choice of programs to end up with only 5 interviews, I mean literally trying not to match.

Well, they know that half of them will be in the bottom half of their lists. And yet they still interview them.
The point that seems to be escaping your gravity is that the number of interviews correlates pretty well with a test score/grade/SLOE matrix. But people can still shoot themselves in the foot. And if the interviews are offered before some red flag pops up (late letter, failed step II, etc), then the number in and of itself means nothing.
So while you can argue that for a group of people, those going on 12 or more interviews have a better chance than those going on 5 in matching. Sure. But population statistics don't apply to the person.

Well, they know that half of them will be in the bottom half of their lists. And yet they still interview them.
The point that seems to be escaping your gravity is that the number of interviews correlates pretty well with a test score/grade/SLOE matrix. But people can still shoot themselves in the foot. And if the interviews are offered before some red flag pops up (late letter, failed step II, etc), then the number in and of itself means nothing.
So while you can argue that for a group of people, those going on 12 or more interviews have a better chance than those going on 5 in matching. Sure. But population statistics don't apply to the person.

Look, the point I'm making is that if an applicant went on >12 interviews, the chances of them not matching is very low. >600 applicants ranked more than 12 programs last year, only 3 of them went unmatched. The vast vast majority of individuals who don't match did not go on/get enough interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Look, the point I'm making is that if an applicant went on >12 interviews, the chances of them not matching is very low. >800 applicants ranked more than 12 programs last year, only 3 of them went unmatched. The vast vast majority of individuals who don't match did not go on/get enough interviews.
And the point I'm making is that I went on 12 interviews once and didn't match.
You can flip a coin 100 times and get 100 heads, but the 101th time the odds are still 50/50 that it's tails.

My suspicion is, those 3 that ranked 12+ programs and didn't match had a major personality flaw. Looked good on paper, so they secured a bunch of interviews, but then interviewed poorly. I mean, its just a suspicion, but otherwise, but it would make a ton of sense how someone could secure a decent number of interviews, yet be so lowly ranked on everyones match list that they didn't match anywhere.

I mean statistically, it can still happen. 12 isn't a magic number. But still, it is extraordinarily rare. But I get it, it stinks if it happens to you as McNinja points out.

Looked good on paper, so they secured a bunch of interviews
Pretty much this.
Although there might be other things than personality flaws that hold them back. In my case it was a SLOE that dropped after I got my first 12 interviews. No more invites offered. It was a hand grenade in my file.

This particular back and forth is making me very nervous for Monday.

After browsing the medical student forums, can I change my status from MS4 to "EM resident ACCEPTED"???

(i kid, i kid...)

Reactions: 7 users