[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still only sitting on 8 interviews.

Is it time to start calling up programs? Have any of you started doing that, and has it helped at all?
Can't hurt

Members don't see this ad.

I've tried emailing PDs and residency coordinators as well as calling at multiple programs without getting any sort of reply. And residency coordinators don't even answer their phones. Has this been the normal experience for any of you? Any tips for getting programs to respond?

I have 10 interviews which is plenty but there are a couple places I desperately want to go to due to proximity to family. They're not really reach programs either. Pretty middle of the road in terms of reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've tried emailing PDs and residency coordinators as well as calling at multiple programs without getting any sort of reply. And residency coordinators don't even answer their phones. Has this been the normal experience for any of you? Any tips for getting programs to respond?

I have 10 interviews which is plenty but there are a couple places I desperately want to go to due to proximity to family. They're not really reach programs either. Pretty middle of the road in terms of reputation.

Keep trying. They probably get hundreds of emails and calls weekly so keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an away in September -- the directors were hyper-aware that all of us were super antsy to get our SLOEs ASAP (and they were probably bugged daily by all of us on the rotation). And they were a total rockstars and uploaded all of them before 10/1.

They know we need them, and they know there's only way to stop the daily onslaught of reminders... :)

Definitely do your homework on the program before counting on a SLOE from a September rotation. Mine didn't upload until early November even though they promised us "7-14 days."

It worked out fine as I got enough interviews based on 1 SLOE. Just be aware of how competitive you are otherwise. I think having only 1 SLOE worked fine for me because it was (i suspect) strong and the rest of my app is otherwise strong.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah this has been my experience too. I've emailed about 7 and called 3. No reply other than 1 rejection (albeit it was a reach program). HADOOOUUUUUKEN!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Still only sitting on 8 interviews.

Is it time to start calling up programs? Have any of you started doing that, and has it helped at all?

Yea still trying to figure this one out. It certainly won't hurt but will it help is the question. Correct me if I'm wrong (and hopefully I am), but all programs at this point have filled their interview slots and have sent out waitlist notifications. I feel unless you have some pretty specific/particular circumstances, reaching out to a program won't get you very far :/

Yea still trying to figure this one out. It certainly won't hurt but will it help is the question. Correct me if I'm wrong (and hopefully I am), but all programs at this point have filled their interview slots and have sent out waitlist notifications. I feel unless you have some pretty specific/particular circumstances, reaching out to a program won't get you very far :/

Well, ****.

The only part that is wrong is that a large chunk of the programs don't sent out formal waitlist notifications. They have a silent waitlist, sure, but who knows if you're near the top of that one or not.

The only part that is wrong is that a large chunk of the programs don't sent out formal waitlist notifications. They have a silent waitlist, sure, but who knows if you're near the top of that one or not.

Thanks for the encouragement, Snoop. You da real MVP.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. May Santa bring you that last interview you've been holding out for.

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been involved in this thread. During this crazy interview season, this place has always been enjoyable and anxiety-relieving (and/or provoking).

Looking forward to seeing all of you soon in the ROL thread.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been involved in this thread. During this crazy interview season, this place has always been enjoyable and anxiety-relieving (and/or provoking).

Looking forward to seeing all of you soon in the ROL thread.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

+1

Always interesting browsing through people's descriptions of programs. Hope one of our esteemed prolific colleagues (@doggydog et al.) gets it going sooner rather than later!

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Always interesting browsing through people's descriptions of programs. Hope one of our esteemed prolific colleagues (@doggydog et al.) gets it going sooner rather than later!

Pretty jealous of people who are almost ready to make ROLs! I've still got half my interviews ahead of me :(

Pretty jealous of people who are almost ready to make ROLs! I've still got half my interviews ahead of me :(

Don't worry, I've been "ready to make my ROL" for almost 3 weeks and I still don't know what I'm going to do

It's hard to show a lot of enthusiasm on interviews when you've already fallen in love with a particular program.

Reactions: 4 users
Cancelled a few January interviews after looking at my credit card statement from last month.

Only half kidding.

Reactions: 2 users
Just noticed these statistics (I might be late to the game here) for Emergency Medicine application rates over the past couple cycles. Looks like the number of people applying is going down, rather it is just the number of applications per applicant going up. Large portion of this is IMGs, but a decent 130 decrease in UMGs.
https://www.aamc.org/download/358770/data/emergencymed.pdf

Received an email today for Highland's "end of the interview trail applicant reception", anyone know if this is sent to all applicants interviewed? I assume so, but just wanted to see if others who interviewed here also received an email. Thanks!

Edit: nvm, it's posted on their website!

Last edited:
Cancelled a couple in the midwest.
Keep your head up peeps

Received an email today for Highland's "end of the interview trail applicant reception", anyone know if this is sent to all applicants interviewed? I assume so, but just wanted to see if others who interviewed here also received an email. Thanks!

Edit: nvm, it's posted on their website!

Everyone who interviewed or rotated got this email. I can't make it but I guess it's kind of like a second look to ask questions to the residents and discuss with other applicants.

On a similar note, UC Riverside... did all interviewees get the "we were very impressed; we will be ranking you" email?

Seemed like a nicely-worded [albeit form] letter.

On a similar note, UC Riverside... did all interviewees get the "we were very impressed; we will be ranking you" email?

I got that email too, thought it was a nice touch.

So if a program sends out a thank you email, but doesn't have the word rank in there, is it more or less meaningless as far as information on where you fall on their list?

So if a program sends out a thank you email, but doesn't have the word rank in there, is it more or less meaningless as far as information on where you fall on their list?
All emails are meaningless at this point.

Last edited:
If a program responds and says "we're ranking you number 1" it's still meaningless as to where you fall on their list. As is stated every year: those emails mean nothing and are non-binding.

I'm sure many programs will send zero emails, some will send generic ones to all interviewees, and a few will be walking on a thin line telling people they will rank them/rank them highly (they aren't supposed to do this). I'm sure there is not a good answer to your question, other than ignore this kind of emails when making your rank list. Also, maybe let's try to not make each other paranoid over meaningless emails.

I'm sure many programs will send zero emails, some will send generic ones to all interviewees, and a few will be walking on a thin line telling people they will rank them/rank them highly (they aren't supposed to do this).
Just to clarify, you're completely wrong here.

Programs, just like applicants, are free to tell interviewees (or PDs) whatever they want to. What they aren't allowed to do is say "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" (aka...We'll rank you highly if you do the same).

What the applicant (or PD) shouldn't do however, is believe a single word of anything they hear in post-interview/pre-ROL communication.

I'm sure many programs will send zero emails, some will send generic ones to all interviewees, and a few will be walking on a thin line telling people they will rank them/rank them highly (they aren't supposed to do this). I'm sure there is not a good answer to your question, other than ignore this kind of emails when making your rank list. Also, maybe let's try to not make each other paranoid over meaningless emails.

Yup. Just go with your own impressions.

Also, looking at http://www.nrmp.org/code-of-conduct/, not sure that the "we will rank you highly" emails are not permitted - as long as they are honest.

How common is it for folks to match at a place further down their rank list? People I've talked to always seem to have landed in their top 3... I have a feeling that is selection bias though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How common is it for folks to match at a place further down their rank list? People I've talked to always seem to have landed in their top 3... I have a feeling that is selection bias though...

Off the top of my head, the numbers for EM is around 50% that match at their number 1 spot, 28% at their number 2 spot, and I think around 10% match at their number 3 spot. All in all, you have pretty good odds of matching at your top 3.

On another note, happy new years everyone :clap:

Reactions: 2 users
Off the top of my head, the numbers for EM is around 50% that match at their number 1 spot, 28% at their number 2 spot, and I think around 10% match at their number 3 spot. All in all, you have pretty good odds of matching at your top 3.

On another note, happy new years everyone :clap:

This is amazing if true. Where do you get your data?
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread. All of everyone's input has been so helpful. I finally hit 12 interviews a couple days before Christmas and I'm done with this madness. I hope everyone achieves their goals and wish you all the best.
Happy New Years.

Last edited:
Cancelled my last scheduled interview of the cycle. PA program.
Can't wait to be done now 2 weeks sooner. :)

Waitlist movement, good program too. Holiday cancellations are rolling
-3/17 ain't too far away either, can you guys feel it???

This is amazing if true. Where do you get your data?
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread. All of everyone's input has been so helpful. I finally hit 12 interviews a couple days before Christmas and I'm done with this madness. I hope everyone achieves their goals and wish you all the best.
Happy New Years.

So I've seen those numbers listed in a couple of different places, one of which was from an old PD. I was able to find this for you

http://www.emresident.org/emergency-medicine-match/ where it says "For U.S. seniors applying to all specialties in 2014, 50% of students matched to their first choice program, and approximately three-quarters of students matched to one of their top-three program choices."

The numbers are slightly different than the ones I remember reading but all in all, 50% match into your top program is something I've persistently run into.

Waitlist movement, good program too. Holiday cancellations are rolling
-3/17 ain't too far away either, can you guys feel it???

For those of you seeing waitlist movement at this stage in the process, is it out of the blue or is it after having expressed continued interest (e.g. via email or call)? I'm sure it varies I'm just curious.

This is quoted on pg 41 of the 2016 NRMP match data linked below.

US matched seniors:
53℅ to 1st choice
16.5℅ to second choice
9.7℅ to third choice
5.9% to fourth choice

Chance of landing in top 4: 85.1℅

Rememver this subset of data is matched US seniors across all specialties, so supposing you match and that EM is about average competitiveness with regards to all specialities, odds are good you get one of your top 4.

Despite all the interview scarcity, NRMP data suggests that the above are fair assumptions.

To calculate your odds as an US senior who is not yet aware of their match status simply multiply these numbers by your chance of matching based on the number of ranks you will have.

http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

For those of you seeing waitlist movement at this stage in the process, is it out of the blue or is it after having expressed continued interest (e.g. via email or call)? I'm sure it varies I'm just curious.

Both. I've gotten off 2 waitlists, one I had emailed and the other I did not.

All mine have been out of the blue... no one gave a damn about my love letters (granted they were all sent to very 'reach' programs)

Hey everyone. I'll probably be out of the country in February with very limited internet access. Programs never have interviews that late, and definitely never send out invites that late, right? Is there any reason I'll need to be readily accessible by phone/email during that month?

A handful of places have February interviews. No reason you should need to make calls. just get your rank list submitted in time.

Hey everyone. I'll probably be out of the country in February with very limited internet access. Programs never have interviews that late, and definitely never send out invites that late, right? Is there any reason I'll need to be readily accessible by phone/email during that month?

I doubt it. The vast majority of programs finish interviews in January. Besides if you are going to be out of the country, what's the point of being accessible if you can't make it to an interview anyway lol

Has anybody interviewing at NY Methodist received info on the interview day? All I've gotten so far is the interviewbroker invite

I doubt it. The vast majority of programs finish interviews in January. Besides if you are going to be out of the country, what's the point of being accessible if you can't make it to an interview anyway lol
I didn't get that many interviews. Just wondering if I should hang on to a little bit of hope and delay the trip by a few weeks.

I didn't get that many interviews. Just wondering if I should hang on to a little bit of hope and delay the trip by a few weeks.

Ahhhhh. My personal opinion (take that for what it's worth, which may not be much haha) is to go on your trip. There aren't many programs that interview in February. I just don't see much likelihood in it. Hopefully they'll be some movement on the waitlist this month so that you feel a little better about your numbers. Also, not to jinx anything but even with just 5 interviews, you've got a very good shot at matching at one of those five places. So enjoy you trip!

As the season gets later and later the conversation among applicants at interviews becomes weirder and weirder.

For me it was a mix of the 2 I've come off two wait lists immediately following love letters and 3 came off unsolicited. I think this late in the season it can only help for them to know you are still interested. It's easier for them to reply to an email of someone they know wants an interview then to go through a list of people who may or may not still be looking for interviews.