[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't honor as in HP? I think HP should be fine. Seems like certain regions of the country have not been offering a of interviews yet, so it might be due to the places you applied to.

True that. A lot of northeast places haven't sent out yet (that's like 30 programs..)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't honor as in HP? I think HP should be fine. Seems like certain regions of the country have not been offering a of interviews yet, so it might be due to the places you applied to.
i'm hp/hp/h, step 1 240s. i was a cocky little s*** thinking i could apply to mostly coastal programs, still it all added up to 60 and i was told that would be way more than enough...now i'm gonna think hard about adding 10-20 more lol

Reactions: 1 user
i'm hp/hp/h, step 1 240s. i was a cocky little s*** thinking i could apply to mostly coastal programs, still it all added up to 60 and i was told that would be way more than enough...now i'm gonna think hard about adding 10-20 more lol

I do not think it's time to panic yet, if after next week you still don't have any interviews I would be worried. Not sure how helpful adding programs now would be, I heard from one PD that it is too late at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not think it's time to panic yet, if after next week you still don't have any interviews I would be worried. Not sure how helpful adding programs now would be, I heard from one PD that it is too late at this point.
well damn. gotta do something tho. can't just panic and wait for the scramble

well damn. gotta do something tho. can't just panic and wait for the scramble

The scramble for EM is notoriously bad - there are generally no spots (or just a couple).

As others have said, hopefully over the next 1-2 weeks a lot more interview invites will start being sent out.

The scramble for EM is notoriously bad - there are generally no spots (or just a couple).

As others have said, hopefully over the next 1-2 weeks a lot more interview invites will start being sent out.

yeaaah hope so. just getting weirded out because haven't talked to anybody else with 0 invites at this point. seems like everybody has at least 2 by now + wherever they rotated. maybe i got absolutely wrecked in one my sloes, or accidentally pasted one of donald trump's rants into my essay. all this makes me ponder doing a research year and going into something more traditional haha.

yeaaah hope so. just getting weirded out because haven't talked to anybody else with 0 invites at this point. seems like everybody has at least 2 by now + wherever they rotated. maybe i got absolutely wrecked in one my sloes, or accidentally pasted one of donald trump's rants into my essay. all this makes me ponder doing a research year and going into something more traditional haha.

I hear you. I'd certainly be worried too, no denying that. But hang tight a little longer, and maybe also consult with your school advisor if nothing happens in the next couple weeks. They have been in the system a while and can probably offer you better guidance than anyone on SDN...
Good luck!!

I am currently on an away rotation with some people who have not received any interviews besides locations they have rotated at. You are not alone.

Of the 3 rotations I've done none of my co rotators have an interview, thats 24 ppl. Ive even texted the group from my july rotation. Chill guys, we have a charting outcomes from 12 months ago.

I hope everyone had a nice, relaxing weekend. Another frustrating week is upon us.

I hope everyone had a nice, relaxing weekend. Another frustrating week is upon us.
much more frustrating for some than others...some are worried their lifeboat is too small while others are already drowning lol

Members don't see this ad :)
A fair number of programs will be sending out invites tomorrow.

Don't program coordinators handle that? Doubt they would be in on a holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Don't program coordinators handle that? Doubt they would be in on a holiday.

Do people have Columbus Day off?

The interview invite thread is horrible to read. Can people just post +(program/date) and then the moderator update it or something

The interview invite thread is horrible to read. Can people just post +(program/date) and then the moderator update it or something

Scrolllllllllllllllll for days

Hey EMers!

Just wanted to give everyone a glimpse of hope.

I'm applying from a top 30 US allo school. Middle of the road student in pre-clin years. Step 1 205 (I know, I know) Step 2 229. Did research with the head of ED here, great SLOEs, honored all EM rotations. Applied to ~65 schools. Currently sitting at 6 interviews (though not at the greatest programs). Time to put our positive pants on! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey EMers!

Just wanted to give everyone a glimpse of hope.

I'm applying from a top 30 US allo school. Middle of the road student in pre-clin years. Step 1 205 (I know, I know) Step 2 229. Did research with the head of ED here, great SLOEs, honored all EM rotations. Applied to ~65 schools. Currently sitting at 6 interviews (though not at the greatest programs). Time to put our positive pants on! :)
Nice! Still at zero over here. Applied to 60 and not even a peep lol

Please calm down. If you don't have any red flags, you have a 96.1% chance of matching just by your step 1 score. HP/HP/H is FANTASTIC. 10-15% of programs give honors and 15-30% give HP. You are above average or an elite applicant. You probably have a 99% chance of matching based on your EM grades and step 1. Less than 1/3 of programs require Step 2 before sending invites, so it's not this.

If you don't have any invites after 10/21, then apply to more programs, as there is obviously something on your SLOE/Deans letter. The majority of programs haven't sent out interviews. Many are sending 1st batch after 10/13-14.

In summary, RELAX. You will receive many, many interviews soon.

Please calm down. If you don't have any red flags, you have a 96.1% chance of matching just by your step 1 score. HP/HP/H is FANTASTIC. 10-15% of programs give honors and 15-30% give HP. You are above average or an elite applicant. You probably have a 99% chance of matching based on your EM grades and step 1. Less than 1/3 of programs require Step 2 before sending invites, so it's not this.

If you don't have any invites after 10/21, then apply to more programs, as there is obviously something on your SLOE/Deans letter. The majority of programs haven't sent out interviews. Many are sending 1st batch after 10/13-14.

In summary, RELAX. You will receive many, many interviews soon.
thanks for the vote of confidence but at this point 50% of my programs have already sent out invites haha. seems like i might end up as one of those statistical outlier horror posts in march. better break out the wallet.....

thanks for the vote of confidence but at this point 50% of my programs have already sent out invites haha. seems like i might end up as one of those statistical outlier horror posts in march. better break out the wallet.....

In a similar boat as you are. 240s step one, similar step 2, H/H SLOEs, 1 interview invite thus far. I was hopeful before the midwest and west coast programs started to send out invites, but now I'm terrified my application must have red flag somewhere. This feels awful.

In a similar boat as you are. 240s step one, similar step 2, H/H SLOEs, 1 interview invite thus far. I was hopeful before the midwest and west coast programs started to send out invites, but now I'm terrified my application must have red flag somewhere. This feels awful.

Right here with you man. Similar stats. No interviews from any place I don't have a connection to. Stay strong. This is a weird year but we will get our IVs.

Right here with you man. Similar stats. No interviews from any place I don't have a connection to. Stay strong. This is a weird year but we will get our IVs.
i guess the application bubble is getting worse, haha. good to know i'm not alone. good luck to you guys as well

Sent a letter of interest to a program last week. Rejected today.... So that worked out.

Sent a letter of interest to a program last week. Rejected today.... So that worked out.

Darn. I've thought about doing this but wonder if it's too early and if i should email the PD or the coordinator...

i guess the application bubble is getting worse, haha. good to know i'm not alone. good luck to you guys as well

Ditto on similar stats. Heard from only a couple programs that I didn't rotate with. Solidarity homies. We'll make it through.

I talked to 2 residents who are above average and now both are in top EM programs. Both said for some reason they heard mainly mid October to late Nov. Some programs even in Dec. Both ended up canceling interviews because they got more offers than anticipated.
Both freaked out. Just saying that interview season doesn't seem to be predictable...

another day gone, another 0 inbox. when oh when will this monkey get off my back :whistle:

another day gone, another 0 inbox. when oh when will this monkey get off my back :whistle:

I hear you. At this point, I feel like the cubs will win the World Series before I get an invitation.

I need to get back onto a rotation. I have this week off and I'm driving myself crazy refreshing the interview thread and my email/eras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get back onto a rotation. I have this week off and I'm driving myself crazy refreshing the interview thread and my email/eras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i got rid of all the other alerts on my phone so only eras emails come through, and i've never experienced such a silent phone. definitely a low point in my medical career haha

So, I get that 12 is generally considered the "magic" number of interviews based on charting outcomes, but what I don't know is whether that number should slide left or right depending on the strength of your application? (E.g., shoot for more than 12 if you're a weak applicant, or you can get away with less than 12 if you're a stellar applicant?)

Also, do folks generally count automatic home/away interviews towards the 12? I'm hoping I can scrape my way up to 12 somehow, but I don't know whether I should discount interviews from my home institution (got a P in EM there), my away institution (it's a bit of a reach), a program where I "know a guy," etc. etc. How are people treating these types of interviews?

So, I get that 12 is generally considered the "magic" number of interviews based on charting outcomes, but what I don't know is whether that number should slide left or right depending on the strength of your application? (E.g., shoot for more than 12 if you're a weak applicant, or you can get away with less than 12 if you're a stellar applicant?)

Also, do folks generally count automatic home/away interviews towards the 12? I'm hoping I can scrape my way up to 12 somehow, but I don't know whether I should discount interviews from my home institution (got a P in EM there), my away institution (it's a bit of a reach), a program where I "know a guy," etc. etc. How are people treating these types of interviews?
It's not 12 interviews that is the "magic number" on Charting Outcomes, it's 12 ranks. So if you plan on ranking your home and aways, you certainly can count them and I think you should!

That being said, a resident said something that I thought was pretty insightful and pertinent. He was discussing how roughly 85% of people still match into their top 3 programs, even in EM, so there is not a ton of purpose in ranking so many programs BUT if one can rank a high number of programs (because one got a lot of interviews), it indicates that person is a good candidate and is likely to match anyway. Given that logic, I don't think someone needs to shoot for more than 12 interviews if one is a "weak" candidate, one just needs to just shoot for 12 (which is probably overkill if one actually reaches 12).

I hope that made sense and best of luck on the trail! You will see the interviews come in, I know it. =]

It's not 12 interviews that is the "magic number" on Charting Outcomes, it's 12 ranks. So if you plan on ranking your home and aways, you certainly can count them and I think you should!

That being said, a resident said something that I thought was pretty insightful and pertinent. He was discussing how roughly 85% of people still match into their top 3 programs, even in EM, so there is not a ton of purpose in ranking so many programs BUT if one can rank a high number of programs (because one got a lot of interviews), it indicates that person is a good candidate and is likely to match anyway. Given that logic, I don't think someone needs to shoot for more than 12 interviews if one is a "weak" candidate, one just needs to just shoot for 12 (which is probably overkill if one actually reaches 12).

I hope that made sense and best of luck on the trail! You will see the interviews come in, I know it. =]

Very helpful, thank you!

I have one more (embarrassingly stupid) question -- can programs choose not to rank you after interviewing you, the same way you can choose not to rank a program after interviewing there? Seems like it would be symmetrical but I don't actually know.

Very helpful, thank you!

I have one more (embarrassingly stupid) question -- can programs choose not to rank you after interviewing you, the same way you can choose not to rank a program after interviewing there? Seems like it would be symmetrical but I don't actually know.
I have no idea! It's a good question. I would assume its unlikely since they took the time to interview you, but I suppose anything is possible. Do you have a PD or a clerkship director at your home institution? You could ask them if they had ever seen it before. Of course, that would be an n=1, but it could be helpful!

Very helpful, thank you!

They can not rank you, but I imagine this is reserved for interviewees/applicants who are painfully awkward, openly hostile toward coordinators or other department staff, condescending, or generally just give people the heebie jeebies.

Very helpful, thank you!

I am almost positive they can, although you have to do something fairly stupid or have new information come out (failing portions of step 2 which make starting residency impossible, really damning SLOE which they notice, etc.) to have that happen.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, that's not likely to happen unless you curse out the program coordinator or something

Hey guys! I just want to confirm from what I read in last year's forum that as long as we take Step 2 CK and CS before January, our scores will be released in time for programs to rank us. Has anyone else heard otherwise?

Programs can certainly choose not to rank you, but that would only occur if a program were to decide that they would rather one of their seats go unfilled (and consequently be filled in the SOAP) than to take this applicant they chose to interview.

Naturally this occurs only in very extreme situations. No program wants to be the one that couldn't fill all their seats.

I was not ranked at Mt. Sinai 13 years ago because I am a Caribbean FMG. The only FMGs they would take were from Sackler. That wasn't me. Despite the residents loving me there (Scott Weingart said he could work with me "every day of the week"), the chair (who is now dead 10 years, I think) made this directive specifically. (I can name names, because it's so far in the past). How this all came out was that Sinai didn't fill that year. Had they filled, no one that didn't make the rank list would ever have known.

I was a prelim intern at Elmhurst, so I did a month in the Elmhurst ED, and a month in the Sinai ED.

So, of course, if you are a schmuck, they can not rank you, or, if there are other things (like being a DO, or an FMG) in play. (After me and a few more, Duke said "no DOs, and no FMGs" to the EM program; there was a trickle, and it ended there.)

Thanks everyone! So it sounds like a school will likely rank you even if they just pity-interviewed you, as long as you don't bomb the interview or subsequently fail something. Hopefully I can keep my creep factor in check during interviews so I don't give anyone the heebie jeebies ;)

Really starting to panic. Applied to 100+ programs. Although almost all were in larger cities. Thought I would be ok. It's been a month and only have my home and visiting.