[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

Started by doggydog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Want to tell us a little more about your application? At 100+ programs there is surely a good mix.

Step 1 - 236; Step 2 - 232. Honors at my home EM rotation. Not sure about the away and unsure of SLOE. Second quartile of my school. No research. Basically if you name a city in the US, I pretty much applied there. Didn't apply to any "rural" programs.
 
Just got this email (as I'm sure many of you did)

Thought it might make some of you feel better:

Greetings from the University of New Mexico Emergency Medicine Residency! I am the Program Director and wanted to pass on some information so you know a little more about our time line and what to expect.
First of all - thank you very much for applying to our program. We recognize how much time, effort and money is involved in this process and we are really psyched that you consider our program worth all that.
So…what to expect:
- We do not start reading applications until Dean's letters come out - Oct 1st.
- It will take 2-4 weeks to go through all the applications.
- We have joined an agreement with many programs that says we will start sending out invitations to interview on October 14th after 4pm. Hearing from us later than that is not a bad sign, it is just a function of the time it takes for me to personally review hundreds of applications.
- We will let you know if you are NOT invited by November 1nd.
- We interview December 1 through January 13 most Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays with a break for the holidays.
I hope this helps. We are a bit later than some other specialties/programs and I don't want anyone freaking out. 😎

Sheesh, was this agreement with like 5 programs? Based on all of the activity this week, there can't be that many left that haven't sent out any invites yet!
 
LOL

Unless you are an IMG, and given that everything else is solid, you do NOT need to apply to 100 programs.

30-40 should be enough.
 
Sheesh, was this agreement with like 5 programs? Based on all of the activity this week, there can't be that many left that haven't sent out any invites yet!

Advisors have told me that it was a majority of county programs (25%) that agreed to this. Also I don't completely trust the list of interviews on the invite thread, considering I saw someone post my home institution on there, on a day when they only sent out interviews to home students (the website still says they will release general invites today). I'm sure most of the interviews on that thread were non-home, non-rotator interviews, but it did give me pause to see someone post that.
 
Advisors have told me that it was a majority of county programs (25%) that agreed to this. Also I don't completely trust the list of interviews on the invite thread, considering I saw someone post my home institution on there, on a day when they only sent out interviews to home students (the website still says they will release general invites today). I'm sure most of the interviews on that thread were non-home, non-rotator interviews, but it did give me pause to see someone post that.
You mean....people lie on the internet...?

giphy.gif
 
LOL

Unless you are an IMG, and given that everything else is solid, you do NOT need to apply to 100 programs.

30-40 should be enough.

Not an IMG. Any other insight or just a general feeling that 30 - 40 should be enough because it appears that 100 isn't working for me so far?
 
Sheesh, was this agreement with like 5 programs? Based on all of the activity this week, there can't be that many left that haven't sent out any invites yet!

It could also be that many of those schools that "agreed" to the date also sent out one early wave to highly qualified and home applicants just so they wouldn't be on the back burner when the 14th rolled around. Get to the elite applicants (ie the six people getting all the invites on here) early, but send out the majority of invites out later on at a set point.
 
Agreed. Also know a person who got an early interview (weeks ago) from a program that expressly didn't send invites until today because they rotated there. That makes their early pool a decent size, potentially further throwing off our thread.

Hang in there everyone. This interview season is a long way from over.
 
Step 1 - 236; Step 2 - 232. Honors at my home EM rotation. Not sure about the away and unsure of SLOE. Second quartile of my school. No research. Basically if you name a city in the US, I pretty much applied there. Didn't apply to any "rural" programs.

Is there any concern that the away/SLOE aren't good? I'm not sure what action can be taken at this point to improve your odds, but I think it's still early to say that you won't have success. Good luck!
 
This is mainly for the 3rd years applying next year, but many competitive EM applicants with low interview numbers oftentimes have one of following problems:

1. They applied mostly to programs far away from their med school.

-Example: From the midwest but applied to only a few midwestern programs and a ton of places down south and out west because "I'm tired of the winters."

2. They applied only to programs in highly desirable big cities on the coasts.

-Example: Only applying to popular locations like WA, OR, CA, TX, FL, NC, VA, NY, MA because "I don't want to live in flyover country."

This is in addition to some applicants being a little "cocky" and not applying to enough safeties (new programs and community programs). Now, this does not apply to everyone and some people just get unlucky some years (and others do actually have red flags in their applications). But, that being said, the above 2 reasons are a common theme with applicants who end up having a below average number of interviews or don't get most of their interviews till later in the season. Either way like I said before I wouldn't start worrying till November.
 
Last edited:
I would add that if you want to apply out of region, do an away rotation in that region. Your chances of getting interviews increases with a SLOE from that specific area.
 
AOA EM applicant, having a minor freak out probably from lack of sleep but should I be worried if I have 8 II but 4 are from my auditions (thus, out of pity/obligation)? Is there another "round" of interview invites later on in the AOA world?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AOA EM applicant, having a minor freak out probably from lack of sleep but should I be worried if I have 8 II but 4 are from my auditions (thus, out of pity/obligation)? Is there another "round" of interview invites later on in the AOA world?
Are you saying you have 8 invites? This thread contains applicants worried about zero- one-two.... so I think you are ok .
 
This is mainly for the 3rd years applying next year, but many competitive EM applicants with low interview numbers oftentimes have one of following problems:

1. They applied all over the place but only included a few local programs.

-Example: From the midwest but applied to only a few midwestern programs and a ton of places down south and out west because "I'm tired of the winters."

2. They applied only to programs in highly desirable big cities on the coasts.

-Example: Only applying to popular locations like WA, OR, CA, TX, FL, NC, VA, NY, MA because "I don't want to live in flyover country."

This is in addition to some applicants being a little "cocky" and not applying to enough safeties (new programs and community programs). Now, this does not apply to everyone and some people just get unlucky some years (and others do actually have red flags in their applications). But, that being said, the above 2 reasons are a common theme with applicants who end up having a below average number of interviews or don't get most of their interviews till later in the season. Either way like I said before I wouldn't start worrying till November.

That's interesting. I also heard that PDs can see a map with a "dots" indicating where else you have applied. I don't know if that's true or not, just something I heard.
 
Getting pretty anxious. allopathic school, ~240/~250, honored away, pass at home (just P/F). Applied to 26 mostly midwest and mid atlantic programs. Added ten more about a week ago. Only one non-home invite so far.
 
AOA EM applicant, having a minor freak out probably from lack of sleep but should I be worried if I have 8 II but 4 are from my auditions (thus, out of pity/obligation)? Is there another "round" of interview invites later on in the AOA world?
Is that AOA as in "Brainiac" or AOA as in "osteopathic" (not mutually exclusive of "Brainiac")?
 
Anxiety is definitely understandable in this situation, but I thought many programs didn't send big batches of interviews until 2-4 weeks after the dean's letter, aka when they actually look at apps.
 
Looking for some advice if anyone can help:

Current MS3 (MD program in reputable school), step 1 219. Former paramedic for 6+ years. I am a parent but my son lives with his mother (we are not together). For this reason, residency location is extremely important to me - unfortunately that location is the Northeast (NJ,NY,CT,RI,MA,NH,ME). This would allow me to still be within driving distance for every-other weekend visits.

My question: does anyone know which programs are considered less competitive in this area (eg Baystate, UMass, Dartmouth etc)? Even if it was just through the rumor-mill, any help/guidance would be extremely appreciated including other less competitive programs across the nation if the northeast is just universally competitive.

Emergency is no doubt what I want to do but I am also weighing whether I would be okay with another less competitive speciality that would allow me to remain local to see my son. I've been struggling with this dilemma of career vs family for awhile and I do not have EM mentors/advisors so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all applying this year.
 
Looking for some advice if anyone can help:

Current MS3 (MD program in reputable school), step 1 219. Former paramedic for 6+ years. I am a parent but my son lives with his mother (we are not together). For this reason, residency location is extremely important to me - unfortunately that location is the Northeast (NJ,NY,CT,RI,MA,NH,ME). This would allow me to still be within driving distance for every-other weekend visits.

My question: does anyone know which programs are considered less competitive in this area (eg Baystate, UMass, Dartmouth etc)? Even if it was just through the rumor-mill, any help/guidance would be extremely appreciated including other less competitive programs across the nation if the northeast is just universally competitive.

Emergency is no doubt what I want to do but I am also weighing whether I would be okay with another less competitive speciality that would allow me to remain local to see my son. I've been struggling with this dilemma of career vs family for awhile and I do not have EM mentors/advisors so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all applying this year.

Just apply to every EM program north of Maryland. That should get you at least 40+ programs.

Luckily there's a ton of programs in the NYC area alone so you'd have plenty of places to choose from if you absolutely must stay in the northeast.

Less competitive programs would be places like Upstate, Albany, Saint Joseph, Morristown, Hackensack, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Methodist.
 
Just got an invite from Central Michigan-Saginaw. DO applicant and did not take USMLE. Will likely end up matching AOA but nice to have a back up interview or 2 in the MD match if i don't end up ranking some of my lower choice DO programs. 🙂
 
So when exactly is this big rush of invites supposed to happen? Got my hopes up for this morning but still nada so far.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"We have joined an agreement with many programs that says we will start sending out invitations to interview on October 14th after 4pm. Hearing from us later than that is not a bad sign, it is just a function of the time it takes for me to personally review hundreds of applications. "

Per the PD at New Mexico - although she doesn't specify which time zone, so could be 4pm EST or as late as 7pm. I think part of the reason for the timing was to increase the likelihood that applicants were finished with clinical duties for the day.

All quiet for me this morning too. Hope that helps.
 
The Great Interview Rush of 4:00 PM 10/14/2016 has resulted in near radio silence on my end. Rejected from Cooper and GW half an hour ago

Same. Dead silence except cooper rejection. I predict around 5-7 will be the wave. No evidence behind that, just a feeling.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would an official rejection thread be beneficial at all? I know there was one going last year. I kind of like the idea of holding out hope for places that have sent out rejections while still giving off radio silence on my end...

I would use it . . . P.S. - Stanford Kaiser rejection a little bit ago. (Don't make fun for all of my reach apps!)
 
Anyone else still sitting at zero interviews?
I have just two non-home non-rotating right now. I don't think you're alone at zero. It would be beneficial for others in the under 5 category to chime in to gauge the severity or lack thereof of our situation at this point
 
:sigh: i had big hopes for today and interviews... but alas, just another low yield day
70+ programs, but i'm thinking of applying to more... is it worth it at this point?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not curious. At all. Dr. Shayne has been a PD for over two decades and is retiring. Dr. White is a graduate of the program and someone whom all the residents seem to really like.
I meant curious as in interesting. Curious that someone who rotated there had no sense of the transition. And that there was no mention of it in the department news. As an applicant I find any transition in program leadership interesting.
 
New to this community and posting somewhat out of frustration.
255+ step 1
No step 2 yet
Mix of H and HP during M3, 2 quartile of class
HP/HP on home/away
Top 30 med school
Was told by PD I have no red flags and that none of my letters are bad.
Applied to ~70 programs, broad mix.
So far only have 2 interviews. 1 from home (interviews sent to all students). Haven't gotten interview from away.
Not sure what is going on.
 
Last edited:
New to this community and posting somewhat out of frustration.
260+ step 1
No step 2 yet
Mix of H and HP during M3, 2 quartile of class
HP/HP on home/away
Top 20 med school
Was told by PD I have no red flags and that none of my letters are bad.
Applied to ~70 programs
So far only have 2 interviews. 1 from home (interviews sent to all students). Haven't gotten interview from away yet even though other visiting students have.
Not sure what is going on. This process seems completely unfair TBH.

Conjecture is that step 2 was more important than ever to have uploaded this cycle.
 
New to this community and posting somewhat out of frustration.
260+ step 1
No step 2 yet
Mix of H and HP during M3, 2 quartile of class
HP/HP on home/away
Top 20 med school
Was told by PD I have no red flags and that none of my letters are bad.
Applied to ~70 programs
So far only have 2 interviews. 1 from home (interviews sent to all students). Haven't gotten interview from away yet even though other visiting students have.
Not sure what is going on. This process seems completely unfair TBH.


70 is a lot, but did you apply to a good mix of competitive/noncompetitive programs?
 
Multiple EM residents have relayed to me that many people only have a few or don't get any interviews until the end of Oct/beginning of Nov, so I wouldn't get worked up yet. Plus, even though many schools have sent out their first group of invites, they will send out more waves as they review more applications and other applicants turn down invites. But, that being said, maybe you/everyone else in the same boat should re-evaluate your application and the places you've applied, ie: do you have impressive ECs or none? Did you apply only to the best/most desirable programs without any safeties? I know a few applicants from last year who had really great number stats but average or less than average ECs and had to add a lot more programs after the fact to get invites. My Step 1 is 215, Step 2 is 240, sucky M1-M2 grades, HP/H MS3, pretty awesome ECs, with 9 invites so far, obviously applied very broadly due to my stats. I think it's all in where you apply.

New to this community and posting somewhat out of frustration.
260+ step 1
No step 2 yet
Mix of H and HP during M3, 2 quartile of class
HP/HP on home/away
Top 20 med school
Was told by PD I have no red flags and that none of my letters are bad.
Applied to ~70 programs
So far only have 2 interviews. 1 from home (interviews sent to all students). Haven't gotten interview from away yet even though other visiting students have.
Not sure what is going on. This process seems completely unfair TBH.