2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.
200 words

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.
200 words

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.
200 words

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?
200 words

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.
200 words

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And so it begins...I would love to be able to stay in Atlanta.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if the prompt is the same as last year? If so, do they send secondaries to everyone? Would love to be able to do some pre-writing.

The prompts haven't changed from the 2014-2015 cycle to the 2015-2016 cycle, so I assume they'll stay the same. I'm not sure if everyone gets a secondary, but they do screen for minimum MCAT scores (27 or 500). If you think you'll get through the screening, I would pre-write the secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
One of the secondary questions from prior years is to "briefly describe your health-related experiences, including your activities on AMCAS and any recent experiences." (or something to that nature, I paraphrased) but would you guys think this is limited to ECs, or would including something about a personal healthcare run-in be appropriate as well? The phrase "health-related experiences" is pretty broad!

@BBQ7 I think that question is designed so screeners can quickly scan through your health-related activities, as their admissions process emphasizes the importance of such activities. I would therefore leave out a personal run-in.

Anybody know how flexible Emory is with their humanities requirement? I have a couple of courses that don't necessarily fit into one of the categories listed in the link below, but I feel that they could still be considered humanities courses.

http://www.med.emory.edu/education/admissions/md/faq.html#General_Questions2

I'm concerned about this as well. I have three Humanities/Social courses totaling 12 hours. I also have AP Psychology, but doubt this counts. As an Engineer and Pre-med there wasn't much space for extra classes, and most schools just wanted 8 hours.

I'm concerned about this as well. I have three Humanities/Social courses totaling 12 hours. I also have AP Psychology, but doubt this counts. As an Engineer and Pre-med there wasn't much space for extra classes, and most schools just wanted 8 hours.

AP Psychology does count. Emory does accept AP credit, they just recommend that you take a few additional upper level science courses so that you have a strong background in the sciences. But I can't see why AP psychology won't count towards the humanities requirement.

AP Psychology does count. Emory does accept AP credit, they just recommend that you take a few additional upper level science courses so that you have a strong background in the sciences. But I can't see why AP psychology won't count towards the humanities requirement.

Awesome, I'll probably try to contact them at some point and double check. That still puts me at 16, so it'll be interesting to see if they care about 2 hours difference.

So excited to apply here! I hear it's amazing, hopefully secondary prompts remain the same...

Incoming M1 here. Happy to answer any questions about applying/interview day. I don't know much else though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 6/7 and just received secondary!! AHHH SO EXCITED!

"List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year."

I had always thought that this was our upcoming classes, but looking at it more carefully isn't 2015-2016 academic year this past year?

Secondary the same?
It seems like they literally copied from last year because they have the wrong dates for the first question

@WedgeDawg

List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Current Word Count: 0/200

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

"List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year."

I had always thought that this was our upcoming classes, but looking at it more carefully isn't 2015-2016 academic year this past year?
I think it's a typo....

How strict are they about having a photo against plain background?

I have one in professional attire but in front of a green space. Should I call about this? :S
Mine is against a green background too. I think plain means like not in front of other things or people. If it's simply a basically green background I think that constitutes "plain"

How strict are they about having a photo against plain background?

I have one in professional attire but in front of a green space. Should I call about this? :S

Mine is against a brick background so I think green should be absolutely fine!

I got my secondary is anyone else having trouble logging in?

For the coursework section, do they want to see ALL the courses that I have taken which fit into the required sections- or just add the courses until the requirements have been met?

"List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 word)"

Is this a typo, are they going to hold it against me if I answer 2016-2017 and they tricked me.

Does anyone know what exactly a semester hour is?
"ORGANIC CHEMISTRY WITH LAB (8 sem hrs)"

I took Ochem 1 & 2, each one is 3 Units, for a total of six units. Is a unit the same thing as a semester hour?
I went to a canadian university, how do these translate to semester hours? It seems like my credits are not enough for emory =/

For the first prompt does it want the 2015/2016 curriculum or 2016/2017 of what we plan to take, the 2015/2016 is already in the application and doesn't help people with a gap year address what they are going to be doing.

For the first prompt does it want the 2015/2016 curriculum or 2016/2017 of what we plan to take, the 2015/2016 is already in the application and doesn't help people with a gap year address what they are going to be doing.
I'm writing about 2016-2017 since it's asking what we plan to do, which is future tense. I just listed my courses by semester so it's clear so like
Fall 2016:
-
-
-

Spring 2017:
-
-
-

"List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 word)"

Is this a typo, are they going to hold it against me if I answer 2016-2017 and they tricked me.

I just called Emory's admissions office to confirm, and they said they're addressing the problem and trying to fix it right now. It is supposed to say 2016-2017!

Does anyone know what exactly a semester hour is?
"ORGANIC CHEMISTRY WITH LAB (8 sem hrs)"

I took Ochem 1 & 2, each one is 3 Units, for a total of six units. Is a unit the same thing as a semester hour?
I went to a canadian university, how do these translate to semester hours? It seems like my credits are not enough for emory =/

I'm guessing unit = credit = semester hour, provided you have a normal semester at your school. Usually you have 2 ochems at 3 hours each plus an Ochem lab for 2 hours for a total of 8. Did you take Ochem lab? If not Emory won't hold it against you for admitting purposes, you'd just need to call them if you get accepted and ask them if they want you to take the Ochem lab before matriculating.

Secondary received this morning! Phew, I guess I made it passed their screen!

On the secondary application when it says to list the course number only should I also list the class name. For example, for the Biology section should I put Biol 1100 or just put 1100?

On the secondary application when it says to list the course number only should I also list the class name. For example, for the Biology section should I put Biol 1100 or just put 1100?
I assume Biol 1100?

I think they just mean they want BIOL 1100 instead of the whole class name (General Biology 1,etc)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Anyone know if the question about updated information is required? I don't have anything to update on from the past 3 weeks, but it wont let me submit with out it.

Anyone know if the question about updated information is required? I don't have anything to update on from the past 3 weeks, but it wont let me submit with out it.

Shame on you for not improving your app in 3 weeks. Clearly not emory material.

Seriously tho i suggest you call if it is not allowing you to submit.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:

Just put N/A.

I just wrote "I'm working in X job since graduation and plan to publish research results in the next year."

Adding some extra pre-update material in there haha

I just wrote "I'm working in X job since graduation and plan to publish research results in the next year."

Adding some extra pre-update material in there haha
Funny enough one of my publications got accepted in the past 2 weeks so I've had something to put in all my secondaries. So lucky it happened right before June 24th too :p

Funny enough one of my publications got accepted in the past 2 weeks so I've had something to put in all my secondaries. So lucky it happened right before June 24th too :p

What that's awesome! Now you totally do have something to talk about.. Right in that little window most secondaries refer to when they say "since you've submitted AMCAS" :laugh:

What that's awesome! Now you totally do have something to talk about.. Right in that little window most secondaries refer to when they say "since you've submitted AMCAS" :laugh:
I know it seems silly that it's a box for us since we're submitting so early, but it worked out for me! Also I'm pretty sure you and I are having a conversation in 3 different threads lmao

Anyone know if for the program selection we are supposed to fill in responses to the questions "please describe your interest in public health" and the one about Bioethics if we're just selecting the MD program only?